It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:38 pm

Post subject: [D9, EN] Conspiracies
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:43 pm 

The shadows had thickened into night before the scratch came at the door. The scratch of Destiny. The Iron Warriors had much to discuss this night.

Owns: Kyuzo

Post subject: Re: [D9, EN] Conspiracies
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:05 pm 

"Come in." Tetsuko's voice was just loud enough to be heard on the other side of the door. She was sat in her mourning kimono making tea. There was a low table with writing equipment and the most exquisite origami Phoenix perched upon it.

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:22 pm 

The door slid open to reveal Masahiko, who bowed formally. "Good evening, Daidoji-sama." He stepped fully into the room and slid the door shut, but then his eyes landed on the Phoenix. As a Kakita, he had a duty to attend to, it seemed. "An excellent piece, Daidoji-sama. One of yours?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:33 pm 

"Good evening Kakita-sama." She half expected him to hit his head on the frame as he walked in.

Pouring a second cup of the tea she looked at the origami. "Yes. It is a gift for Asako Kashiwagi-sama. I enjoyed a pleasant artistic morning in his company and thought I would return the favour." She smiled faintly at the memory.

"Please, take a seat."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 pm 

Masahiko does so with little ceremony, his brow furrowed.

"Well, the Asako's good people..." the line of thought trailed off, lost in the stormclouds gathering around the giant's head.

"So." There was a pause as Masahiko sought the right words.

"I just thought it was a little interesting today. In court, you say you've got your orders to give some weight to Hantei XVI's claim, then an hour later we get orders of our own to play a little inside kemari of a slightly different, but pretty complementary flavor."

He narrowed his eyes slightly. "So I guess what I'm asking is for you to shed a little light and set my mind at ease. If you can."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:19 pm 

Tetsuko handed him the cup and gave him a curious look.

"I must admit that my duties have rarely required me to set anyone's mind at ease. Then again, they have not required me to speak up in court before either."

She took a sip of her own tea. "I received orders from my daimyo. The same day the business with the Lion began. Daidoji-dono wishes me to speak out on favour of Hantei XVI, and so that is what I have done. Perhaps I would have had misgivings, once."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:35 pm 

Masahiko frowned. "A command from one's Daimyo's a pretty serious thing. And I don't think anyone really wants the Lion to rule the Empire."

Not even you? Not even me, Granny.

"I just find the timing a little weird, and I can't say that Doji-sama's...casual response to Asahina-sama's news about Lord Doji sat right with me. It seems to me that his take on what to do might be pretty different. Where's our duty to him?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 pm 

"The Crane have held our own court in this city for as long as there has been a city. Yesterday the Lion decided they did not care for the tradition. Is that weird, or inevitable?" She sipped her tea before continuing.

"Truly, I cannot imagine what Lord Doji would say. Other than to serve the best interests of the Crane and the Empire. I do know that he was last seen near Morikage Toshi fighting off slaughter spirits with the aid of the Crab. That was over a week ago. If you have a plan for finding him I would love to hear it Kakita-san."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:19 am 

"It wasn't weird or inevitable. Just stupid and hurtful. But Lady Daidoji has no inkling that the Lion behaved as they did, Daidoji-sama. Her orders have nothing to do with yesterday. And Doji Suiminko cares more about stopping us from even being civil to members of the Lion clan than the fate of her lord. How much more vehement was her response to that suggestion than to news of his survival?"

He leaned forward.

"I do have an idea. It will need a shugenja who is familiar with the Air kami, and I admit that it is rough, but we need Lord Doji as much or even more than we need to gird ourselves for a battle against the Lion."

He paused. "Especially when it's better than even odds that these particular Lion aren't going to be around much longer."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:38 am 

Tetsuko pursed her lips and gave the big man a look. "Ugh. Of course Lady Daidoji had no idea the Lion would do this. I am not an idiot. You suggested the timing of the orders was 'weird'. I was simply using your choice of words to illustrate that Lion aggression was to be expected at some point."

She calmed herself with more tea.

"Daidoji-dono obviously has her reasons for ordering me to speak up. As for Doji-sama... she has been dealing directly with the Empress for some time now. Second-guessing her intention seems unwise cousin."

Letting out a long breath she looked at the Phoenix on the table. "I can think of two Air shugenja who may be willing to assist us. Asako Ayanojo-san and Moto Akemi-san.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:54 am 

The big Kakita shrugged, "Well, maybe I'm the dummy, here."

"But as for the shugenja, we need them to either lock onto the location of the Ancestral Sword of the Crane Clan by locating the spirits within it. Surely the soul of our Thunder is mighty enough to allow for that. Or, if I am wrong, perhaps they can find a way to send and receive a message to Doji-ue. Once that's done, we just have to go out and get him."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:14 am 

"You make it sound very simple Kakita-san. I know little of the ways of the kami, but I do pray that you are correct." She rubbed her temples.

"I do not have a horse, but perhaps the Lion would happily provide some if it removed more Crane from their city?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:20 am 

If that's the way you want to think about it, sure!

"Sure! I mean, I've never found a horse I could effectively ride in combat, but for riding away purposes, it could work!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:24 am 

"I would not say I am an expert, but you could ask Doji-san if you would like some tips?" Another gulp of tea and her cup was finished. She offered to fill her visitor's cup too.

"How long have you been stationed here Kakita-san?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:32 am 

"Five years, Daidoji-sama" He grinned as he held out his cup. "It was my first assignment."