It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:58 pm

Post subject: Re: [D9 LA] Laying to Rest
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 am 

"Doji-sama," Yuko said meekly, finally speaking up, "Is it possible that we might mend fences? The Crane have always been uniquely positioned close to the throne. As evidenced by your august position, that is still a position that our clan fills."

She paused a moment, collecting her thoughts.

"The young Hantei will need additional tutelage in the absence of his most esteemed father. Perhaps if we could find a way to mend this rift with the Lion, the Crane might move to provide that guidance - a gentle hand on the rudder, so to speak?"

She accepted a refill of tea from Monkhbatar and thanked him.

"Whereas...forgive me, Doji-sama - I am no courtier, but I cannot help but think that given the Empress's, er, sympathies, that open provocation with the Lion might estrange us from the young Hantei when he needs our help most?"

Carries: Kakita blade (Ketsuyoku), wakizashi, tanto, aiguchi, shards of a biwa, kimono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 am 

Monkhbaatar's interaction with Crab was so limited it may as well be non-existent. But this would probably be a good opportunity to remedy that.

He refills cups as he thinks.

Equipment: Daisho, armor, dai-kyu, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:20 am 

Masahiko was careful not to move, but allowed his eyes to shift back to Suiminko, waiting patiently for a reply to Yuko's eminently sensible position.

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:57 am 

Suiminko's smile turns sad. "I have worked with this Empress, Asahina-San. She will not allow her child to be tutored by a Crane out of a love for peace. She is a Matsu. They resolve their problems by charging forward, teeth barred, not by making friends."

She shakes her head. "I will not allow the Lion to kill my cousins and brothers and sisters simply because they did not approve of the color of my kimono. The desire for peace is to be commended, but we must defend that peace, and indeed, fight for it when necessary. I do not wish for war, but I will not allow the Clan I love to be tossed aside and its samurai treated as heimin."

Come gather ’round people, wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you’ll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you is worth saving
Then you better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changing...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:43 am 

D9 LA Reply: A messenger delivers a letter at the Crane's Embassy written in thin paper with what it seems to be watermarks of the paper used in the Scorpion Embassy.

Quote:
Treasured Children of Doji,

The message did not arrive in time in this humble servant hands. It is with extreme sorrow and a heavy heart that I write down my deepest condolences to the departed. They are in my payers to the Kami, so their path to Yomi is enlightened.

If Fortunes permit, and it is the will of the Crane, a due visit will be in course in honor of the invitation. This servant, although grateful for the Lion's hospitality, has announced in court today she won't be staying at Nikesake Castle. Meeting those that bear the blood of her lineage should be a great source of happiness in these clouded days.

Honorably yours,
Seppun Horonigai, Miharu of the House of the Abdicators
*personal chop*

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:01 am 

Yuko's nodded, her face rigid but the sadness in her eyes apparent.

Cheer up, Yuko-chan. War means more killing. You should be used to it by now.

Carries: Kakita blade (Ketsuyoku), wakizashi, tanto, aiguchi, shards of a biwa, kimono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 am 

Akemi went to speak a few times, before stopping each time. Finally settling with "what does Doji-sama advise in these times? We need to stand together against the threat facing us outside these very walls, yet from what I observed today everyone seems so...divided. Perhaps the Crane could do something to unite the people? An artistic endeavour? A vigil for those who have fallen?"

She paused again, before saying "a-ano...my apology for cutting in again. I understand my voice is one from outside now.I just...I served with every clan great and small and even Ronin during the War of Broken Fangs. A Rokugan united can face any threat, but there is a great threat to this very city and unity seems so far far away."

On person: Pretty kimono, Scroll Satchel, Wakizashi, Fan, calligraphy set & Paper, Tea set (sometimes), Light armour, Han-kyu and arrows(sometimes)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:24 am 

"I fear that any attempt to 'unite' with the Lion will only draw further bloodshed. If any of you truly believe that the Lion meant no malice when then locked this embassy down, and that they are willing to extend the hand of friendship to us with no ulterior motives, please speak now."

She looks from one samurai to the next.

Come gather ’round people, wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And accept it that soon you’ll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you is worth saving
Then you better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changing...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:24 pm 

Masahiko spoke very slowly, his gaze fixed on a point just in front of Doji Suiminko's shoes.

"I think they were careless, Doji-sama. The Governor sought to appease the anger of the new arrivals, who did not understand the way things were done in the city. That makes her a weak leader. Her chosen political instrument was clumsy, and ill-suited to the situation and goal. They failed to consider the implications of their actions, and were unable to recognize the honor of their counterparts in the Left Hand. They assumed that we would be fine with removing our colors and insignia, dishonoring ourselves for their sake."

"I have known for some time that the leadership of the Lion clan would propel us into a war we did not ask for. Moto-sama is correct: thanks to the work of Doji-ue, the Crane are perhaps uniquely situated to unite the Empire. Perhaps if he were here..."

He shook his head once. No hypotheticals.

"However, I believe that the leadership of the Lion clan is uninterested in an Empire that is united on anything but the narrow terms which they dictate."

He took in a breath.

"I am reasonably certain that the Lion are uninterested in us right now, and have no intention to carry this incident farther. We can, I am sure, participate in the defense without fear of another brilliant maneuver."

"But Doji-sama is right to have us prepare for what happens when the Matsu, who have been our most implacable enemies for hundreds of years, take the throne."

He looked up.

"If the Empress were an Akodo, or even a Kitsu, I might disagree in my heart. If Doji-sama had asked us to undermine the defense of the city, I would be deeply concerned about the implications for this embassy and for our standing in the Empire, which would not understand. But preparation for something we have all known was coming, that has been coming over and over again for generations on end, is not unwise. Because it will happen, if not next year then ten years from now."

When it was over, Kakita Masahiko looked just about as miserable as a person can look without vomiting onto the floor.

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:49 pm 

Tetsuko gave the giant Kakita a careful appraisal before nodding at his assessment. She remained silent. It was something the Daidoji were adept at.

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:03 pm 

By this point, Yuko's eyes had reached their capacity for despondency.

What more could be done.

"Hai..."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:10 pm 

Akemi wasn't sure if she was to be included in this. She listened as the Kakita spoke, and she understood what he was saying. Eventually, Akemi spoke up.

"Wisdom comes in finding the opportunities that dilemmas provide."

She fell silent again.

On person: Pretty kimono, Scroll Satchel, Wakizashi, Fan, calligraphy set & Paper, Tea set (sometimes), Light armour, Han-kyu and arrows(sometimes)