It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apology Tour, I Still Suck At This [D9, LE]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 pm 

It wasn't anything Kitamaru hadn't seen before, the posture had meaning, but not unlike other practices displayed at dojo in the capital.

The Shosuro took their stance again and focused breath during the next form.

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 pm 

After a time, she drew her blade partially, and then returned it to the saya.

Then again.

And again.

As if testing tiny variations on a motion, to find the right one, yet none were quite what she wanted.

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:58 pm 

Degarashi nodded, understanding now what the Sparrow was practicing. Word had already spread about the challenge which had taken place earlier during the day, as well as the result. Chihaya could be feeling frustration over the results, but all he could see was a steady determination to be better.

Perhaps that thought alone spurred the Scorpion back into his kata, returning his focus to one of self improvement and less of self indulgence. Perhaps it made him feel closer to his brother to practice with the open blade over the hidden one.

Or perhaps, as he suspected might be the case, he simply needed to clear certain thoughts from his mind, like Chihaya.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:42 pm 

At long last, the blade cleared the Saya, flipping in a rapid arc as her right foot slid back, her entire body twisting into a downward cut that ended with the tip of the blade bare centimeters from her own right foot, a full 270 degree swing.

It was an odd draw cut, as if she were avoiding a strike and countering in to an opponent - as if the goal of the technique were to bait a strike and then punish it, rather than simply win through speed alone.

Perhaps that was why it failed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 pm 

Watching the display in silence, Degarashi pondered what it might have meant. Eventually, feeling he might have some remote understanding of what he'd just witnessed, he approached the Sparrow again. "Whosoever strikes first admits defeat, Suzume-shoi?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 pm 

"Hmmm."

She contemplated that interpretation, flicking imaginary blood from the blade on instinct, and then returning it to the saya.

"Perhaps - or maybe it is the one who overextends? Or the one who strikes too soon without realizing the purpose of the stance - Togashi Iko understood the purpose and drew low, coming under the riposte before it could begin, staying my hand with speed."

A faint chuckle.

"Perhaps more important is the question of what happens, should the duel need continue - who then strikes the more telling blow?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:37 pm 

"All good points, Suzume-shoi, but not, I believe, the intent behind the proverb."

Once again Degarashi finds his hands folded within his sleeves as he regards the Sparrow. Honestly, how often was he going to be drawn in her direction?

"Rather I think it is more a statement about the paradox of the duel. We hold that heaven guides steel and makes right the word of the victor, interpretations aside. But the mere act of the challenge implies, in its own way, that the challenger has run out of options, and must rely on the strength of their steel to be made correct, rather than the strength of their character."

The Scorpion shook his head and affixed a wry smile. "Honestly, Chihaya-san, why must my inner Dragon always pop up when you're around?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:49 pm 

"Perhaps I am too puzzling, I make everyone think of riddles."

With a small shrug, she added, "Sometimes, the blade is the only defense of those who do not trade in words... especially when cornered."

It was an odd thing, however, and of course, the blade was sometimes used as a tool to bully without need - simply because it was an option.

"Maybe that is another riddle - we tell bushi to train for war, and then invite them to court, and tell courtiers to train their words, and then threaten them with steel."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 pm 

Kitamaru had much to relate, but a Shosuro minds their business.

Kata kata kata.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:05 pm 

"A vast realm of contradictions, and a comedy of errors indeed. Is it perhaps possible we've landed ourselves in sakkaku?" Degarashi made little attempt to hide the correlation he was making about their conversation, but also the world of confusion they seemed to keep stepping into around each other.

The Shosuro's notable lack of attention certainly wasn't helping anything either.

Kata kata kata.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm 

Chihaya, perhaps out of habit, was growing uncomfortable with the silent scorpion, and gazed at the man thoughtfully, and then finally asked, "What do you think, Shosuro-san? Have we wandered into a realm of tricksters?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm 

There was a series of movements, a side dash followed by a parry into dashing forward to strike at the neck but the arc, from a distance, seems clear it's intent is the wrist.

Kitamaru held the bokken aside and bowed to the dojo.

Facing the others, the fox mask smiled.

"Does Suzume-sensei believe she ever left? Asking the self is more like to give clarity than this one or Bayushi-san."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 pm 

A shot across the bow, right from the start.

Chihaya raised an eyebrow, "In order to leave, I had to enter - unless you suppose I am a creature of that realm?"

This scorpion was as fond of riddles as any, it seemed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:58 pm 

"What mortal claims wisdom enough to know they are in or out of Sakkaku?" Kitamaru asked. "Some Taoists I'm told believe the world to be an illusion. I doubt they cite the realm of mischief in their meditations, and perhaps that proves their blindness despite thoughtfulness."

This world might just be a cruel joke. Who could say? Certainly not Kitamaru. He can only tell you what he's been told.

Last edited by Shosuro Kitamaru on Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:00 pm 

There was an unusual silence from Degarashi as he closed his eyes, more a wince than anything else, and sighed. "A nonexistent answer worthy of any Dragon, cousin. Truly your wit is as sharp as the blade you wield."

That the Shosuro currently wielded a bokken was left unspoken, though he did give Chihaya a smirk as he said it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:54 am 

Sensing some degree of tension, Chihaya stifled the chuckle, and just answered, in a bland tone, "Perhaps we are in a cosmic joke, but I fear that it is one rooted in ningen-do - would that I had the powers afforded the spirits, I might be a much more useful servant to my lord."

She did wish, sometimes, that she had such powers.

"In either case, I would not become someone else's punchline."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 am 

"Ie, I imagine Suzume-shoi would be the one doing the punching most of the time, at any rate."

Whatever confusion Degarashi was feeling seemed to vanish beneath the Shosuro's scrutiny. He casually began to resume his kata, feeling the muscles in his body start to ache vaguely as a result of his exertions. Maybe he'd be ready to pack up for the night soon, exhaustion was starting to creep its way in from the most unexpected places.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:55 am 

She looked thoughtful.

"I'm not so good at punching, I should practice."

With a chuckle, she picked up her bokken and placed it back on the rack.

"I'm afraid it's late, and I should sleep - who knows what the morrow will bring."

With a bow to both men, she prepared to make her /exit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:00 am 

Akodo Ren wrote:
She shakes her head, "No... Thank you. It'd been a while since I had a spar with someone with so much spirit."

"Whatever is left of it..." She says and inhales. Then, she looks at the broken bokken and winces.

"I'll see it gets fixed. Shitsurei shimasu." She excuses herself while bowing to the Dojo's kamiza.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 am 

Degarashi spoke without pausing in his drills. "Rest well, Suzume-shoi. This one knows not what challenges await us come sunrise, but they will almost certainly shred the minds of the unprepared. Until next we meet."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next