It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lion's Court (D9, Early Afternoon)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:32 am 

Soshi Tameaki wrote:
Kodama wrote:
Kodama nods at that. "May I ask who it is that is the highest ranking samurai in the Empire, after the Emperor's death? Normally that is a very straight forward answer, but," He doesn't quite finish the sentence but instead looks around a bit to the chaos of current life.

Tameaki answers firmly and loudly enough to be overheard, "Without question, that would be the Emperor's consort - the Empress."

Hachi blinks. "Huh. I had thought in some areas it would be the Emerald Champion. But, I freely admit to ignorance of the fineries of the law. Now, as of Yogo-sama's declaration, we have one Imperial sibling declaring the child to be illegitimate, and another declaring him to be legitimate. With equal weight there, and the Empress saying it is legitimate, it seems to be Hantei XXIII. That brings another thought - when is the new Emperor legitimately the new Emperor? When the previous one has passed, or are there rites that must first be performed?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:38 am 

Ears no longer ringing, Kitamaru takes mental notes on some things, pacing about as if resolving some manner of puzzle.

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:42 am 

He thoughtfully nods his thanks for the answer, listening to Isawa Hachi's question as well, "It is my understanding that some here are supporting the brother of the Emperor, and the sister of the Emperor is here supporting the Empress, yes? Do either of them hold a greater position then the Emerald Champion?"

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:16 am 

"There are rites to be observed, though they are normally suspended temporarily during times of crisis," notes Tameaki. "As for standing of the three you mentioned, Kodama-san, the Emerald Champion supersedes both, unless one or the other is daimyo of an Imperial family. Even then, as the ultimate arbiter of the law save for the Throne itself, it would be appropriate to defer to the Emerald Champion."

Carries/Wears: Extravagant clothing, wakizashi, jitte, mask, fan, personal seal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:24 am 

Again the monk takes in the information slowly, rolling it around in his head.

He starts an idea, but stops.

Shaking his head, he then asks, "I believe normally it is the role of the Emerald Champion to defend the Emperor as yojimbo. At a time like this, is it then her role to defend the heir and nominal Emperor, whomever might become Regent or otherwise?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:38 am 

Hachi's eyebrows rose. That was an interesting thought. He looked at the magistrate to see what the informed answer would be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:49 am 

"Yes, yes, I believe so," Tameaki confirms. "Short of a declaration from the departed Emperor or intervention from the Heavens themselves - which we have not seen, instead we are only witness to the mad machinations of Toshigoku - the sacred duty of the position would be to defend the heir-apparent."

He pauses for a moment, considering the matter a bit more.

"Now, it would take a greater authority than I to state that as more than a mere opinion," he warns. "In the end, I can speak in an official capacity only on Scorpion law, and my commentary on Imperial law is wholly non-binding. Unless someone wishes to drop an Emerald badge in my lap, that's as far as I can go."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:52 am 

The monk bows a bit, "Of course. I have not really thought on the matter and am no expert at law, Imperial or otherwise. In a case such as this, which is unfortunately not hypothetical, is it the duty of the Empress or the Emerald Champion to defend the honor of the heir-apparent?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:54 am 

"Oh, that would be the Emerald Champion," opines Tameaki. "The Empress' duty is as spouse and first servant to the Emperor, and I doubt anyone would stop her from acting in the interests or defense of the heir she bore, but the Emerald Champion would traditionally take the lead in those tasks."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:58 am 

He nods at that.

"Thank you Soshi-sama. Your guidance in this gives me answer to a quandary I do not know the court as a whole as thought about. If you both will excuse me while I briefly address the court?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:18 am 

"I look forward to hearing your conclusions," Tameaki says as he steps out of the way to allow Kodama to take the floor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:29 am 

Kodama bows a bit in thanks, then steps forward to gather the courts attention for a brief while.

It takes some time, he is only a lowly monk after all. His bow is very deep indeed when he is given it.

"Samurai-samas, I will not take up much of your time. It is my understanding that the veracity of the heir's existence has been called into question. Is there any who can inform me why such a question should not be answered in a duel where the heir is guarded by their yojimbo, the Emerald Champion, thereby clarifying for all the truth as known by the Heavens, who none can deny, know it?"

He bows afterward, as deeply as before.

He seems to have forgotten to bring up his defense of the Empress's claim while he had the opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:47 am 

Hachi listens to the monk's publicly spoken words, but notes that few seem to pay much attention to them.

"Has anyone heard from the Emerald Champion, or their office, since these troubles started? I am far too low to know who was at the Imperial Winter Court, but have not heard of the Emerald Champion being with the others that came here. I would hope and pray the young Emperor was under their care already. If so, that would mean that the highest authority has made her choice, would it not? Or am I missing a point of law?"

Courtier/Awareness, for Imperialist, VP for 1k1, 1 CR, TN 20: 24, for 2 points for the Imperialists!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:01 am 

Togashi Tsukimi wrote:
"Yes?"

The Dragon, seemingly lost in thought, looked up.

"Konnichiwa. You seemed lost in thought. Is everything okay?" She asked as she slowly opened her fan wide to hide her words from onlookers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 am 

"I respect what Seppun-sama has done in Toshi Ranbo. But for now, we should consider the imbalance that Hantei XVI poses with his march on the capital and the designated heir." After making it clear, she's not opposed to supporting Kato, but for now, still supports the baby Emperor, Tamaki then goes to explanation about the spirits are throwing off the natural flow of the Spirit Realms.

Imperialist roll: Success for 4 Points!

Lore: Spirit Realms It sounds better coming from her than it would on paper.

Background

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:49 pm 

The Shakanar wrote:
His rebuttals to them were kind, pointing out the horrors that had already poured from Toshigoku and the Steel Chrysanthemum. That they were honor bound to stop those horrors from being visited on the rest of the empire if at all possible.

No one seems to be taking an offense to Erina's statement, nor rushing over to bestow flattery for her. That meant she now had room to move about. She had someone she wanted to speak with.

"Greetings honorable guest." Erina bows respectfully to the Naga. "This one is gladdened by your honorable words in support of the Empress. I am unsure if any of my clan have yet thanked you for your wise words. I am Matsu Erina, of the Lion clan."

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:18 pm 

Doji Monkhbaatar wrote:
"Well, we saw smaller buildings in villages. But they were not overly large, about the size of a peasant house, or the Chomchongs. The larger communal tents that the Unicorn use for large meetings or communal food are even bigger than those. Sometimes two to three times the size. But they're still not as big as an inn with three floors. My first time passing by a castle was shocking. The walls that would have taken years to build, four or five stories tall with shingled roofing, doorways and gates that you can walk two or three horses abreast through. It was mind-boggling trying to rationalize how it didn't collapse under it's own weight."

"There is a lot of research into how the buildings work that I honestly could not explain to you. I can explain the kami, and the feeling of flying, but how buildings stand? That's beyond me" Akemi said with a shake of her head "my apology Doji-san. I can say that the buildings have been built for longer than I have been alive. I think Kyuden Doji is hundreds of years old for example!"

She paused as more speaking happened, listening with a small frown.

"There really is such a divide here..."

On person: Pretty kimono, Scroll Satchel, Wakizashi, Fan, calligraphy set & Paper, Tea set (sometimes), Light armour, Han-kyu and arrows(sometimes)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:01 pm 

Never had Ryuji been late to court but after what happened to him in the morning hours, he was disturbed. Ryuji was now angered that his "encounter" kept him from being on time. Nevertheless, he knew what he had come to do. He clinched his fan and walked to the center of the court. When his time came to speak, he popped his fan open and his tone was clear and strong.

"Honored samurai. We are in a very trying and distressing time. Our honor and duty are being questioned and tested. Who are we and where do we stand? So many of us are conflicted in our beliefs as to who is to sit upon the Jade Throne. So many of us are conflicted as to the methodology of a returned Emperor. I tell you now, that never have I been clearer in thought and belief."

A beat.

"When one has the audacity to execute an act of murder then tries to justify that act by some spiritual or divine right only to impose their supposed spiritual or divine right on others it becomes clear, that the one who performed the act is has no right within them. It is clear that they want to create and cause disorder and chaos. They do not want unity, peace, order, and progression. It is one thing to commit an act of murder but to use matters of so-called spiritual influence only further compounds the guilt.

I stand firm in my support for the Empress. I will not be moved by some insidious, deceitful, divine propaganda that does nothing but causes division amongst the people, and sows a seed of doubt in the courage of our convictions. Samurai are NOT to regret their actions or their words. My ancestors died in service to the Empire and The Emperor. That is what I too will do and I will not have my duty and service be questioned and tested by some spirit spreading their contagion of discourse and disorder. There comes a time where we must choose what is right and what is necessary. I choose what is necessary and what is necessary is that we stand together to unify the Empire under the Empress for this is right."

Otomo Ryuji snapped his fan closed and bowed.

You insolent fool! You bring dishonor on yourself! The words of Ryuji's grandfather rang loud in his head.

No. If you are real, spirit...You dishonor yourself for allowing to be corrupted by a murderer. Thank you for further showing me that matters of the spirit mean absolutely nothing!

((Influence Roll: Courtier/Awareness + 2 Raises + 1 VP TN 25: 46 + 3 Imperialist Points. -6 Honor Loss))

Honor: Untrustworthy • Glory: 2.0 • Status: 3.5

Theme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:19 pm 

Shosuro Sara wrote:
"Konnichiwa. You seemed lost in thought. Is everything okay?" She asked as she slowly opened her fan wide to hide her words from onlookers.

"Hmm... that is a difficult question to answer," the Togashi looked to the courtroom. "Can anyone say that the situation we're in is okay?"

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:21 pm 

Sara smiled and let out a soft laugh. "I don't know. These last few years...I am unsure if it's a new low, or the new normal." She shook her head.

"Shosuro Sara, actress of Tashiou Hikari acting troupe." She gave a small bow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next