It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:31 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lion's Court (D9, Early Afternoon)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:38 am 

Soshi Tameaki wrote:
Isawa Hachi wrote:
"Ah, so. And, did the blessed Hantei give any indication he preferred his brother to take the throne? From what I am hearing, Seppun Kato has declared himself to be Emperor, not merely covering till his nephew takes the throne. Oh, which raises another question - how often has one gone from being a Seppun or Otomo back to being a Hantei - aside from the blessed Hantei the Tenth, of course."

"I have not been told of any such declaration on the part of the late and lamented Hantei," Tameaki confirms. "As for one who has left the Hantei line in accordance with the traditional abdication of an Emperor's children who do not ascend to the Throne...I am unaware of any other such return to the Imperial Family, but the laws of succession allow for such an event in the event of an Emperor who dies without heir."

"Is his abdication of the Hantei name a sign of agreement that there is an heir?" Kodama asks. "Or did he take the Seppun name before the child was born?"

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:47 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"I wish I could understand their perspective," she shook her head. "The Steel Chrysanthemum is a murderer. I do not pretend to understand Seppun Kato's motivations, and would not cast aspersions on a member of the Imperial families. But the timing of his declarations create more problems than they solve. I am a soldier, not a politician. And the only way I can see Seppun Kato's plans is from the perspective of my limited tactical understanding.

"And from that understanding, the only reason to make such a declaration on both sides is to weaken each of them."

"Hai," she says, the word was sharp but the tone mellow. "There is much and more I do not understand of what has been said, and of what is yet true. Yet, I would cast a wonder. What of those who support the idea that, perhaps, there might be some merit in the arguments of those who might offer words toward offering the murderer what he wishes that he might spare those we have a duty to protect and serve. May, on the other side, there are certainly those of many that may find a comfort in knowing that the one leading us in these troubling times is yet of the divine blood."

Mai raises her hands in a calming motion, "I do not presume to understand it each and all, and yet that is why I must ask those of various positions. Certainly, there is yet merit in the understanding that we should not worry of such things yet either. That we stay our course with she who yet sits that we may focus our attentions to the current problem. Yet, problems never seem to wait for an opportune moment."

"I yet mean to present an idea that there are those on another side that are not malicious or wish for the doom of us all but instead have concerns which lay otherwise in this greater scheme. May, there is a path through understanding this we yet may find a way forward that results in less death."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:49 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
"Good afternoon, dear cousin," he greeted Seitouna and offered a respectful bow. "Have you had your rice today? I hope I have not missed too much of the proceedings thus far - at least, not anything particularly intriguing..." he asked as he looked around at the assembled courtiers and others.

"Cousin," comes the reply, "I have, and hope you have, as well. But as to events," and he taps his notes.

Mari wrote:
As another Kasuga approached, Mari made a little more space and bowed to them in turn, staying quiet and giving Seitouna a chance to introduce her if he wished to do so, a murmured "Kasuga-sama" on her lips.

"Cousin," he adds with a gesture to the ronin, "may I present Mari, a healer. Mari-san, Kasuga Asakuro, the Imperial Peafowl Supervisor."

And he bows.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:54 am 

Togashi Mai wrote:
"Hai," she says, the word was sharp but the tone mellow. "There is much and more I do not understand of what has been said, and of what is yet true. Yet, I would cast a wonder. What of those who support the idea that, perhaps, there might be some merit in the arguments of those who might offer words toward offering the murderer what he wishes that he might spare those we have a duty to protect and serve. May, on the other side, there are certainly those of many that may find a comfort in knowing that the one leading us in these troubling times is yet of the divine blood."

Mai raises her hands in a calming motion, "I do not presume to understand it each and all, and yet that is why I must ask those of various positions. Certainly, there is yet merit in the understanding that we should not worry of such things yet either. That we stay our course with she who yet sits that we may focus our attentions to the current problem. Yet, problems never seem to wait for an opportune moment."

"I yet mean to present an idea that there are those on another side that are not malicious or wish for the doom of us all but instead have concerns which lay otherwise in this greater scheme. May, there is a path through understanding this we yet may find a way forward that results in less death."

Tani raises her eyebrow at this. "I apologize, Togashi-san, but do you believe that there is a path here where the Steel Chrysanthemum doesn't do as much damage as he can on the way to Otosan Uchi? Speaking from my experiences, he has not seemed terribly keen on talking.

"I am not against an idea that would save lives, per se. I am simply skeptical that any such plan is practical if it expects the Steel Chrysanthemum to take a more peaceful path."

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:56 am 

Daidoji Tetsuko wrote:

Tetsuko looked up at her cousin and blinked. She gestured to the tea and poured him a cup. Opening her fan she lowered her voice too.

"Sometimes, Kakita-san, a samurai with higher status will attempt to pass off a lower status samurai's point as their own. Perhaps with more flowery language, and especially if they think the point clever or important. The Doji are masters of this. I suppose in a way you should be flattered."

Kakita Masahiko took up the tea to sip, and nodded slowly. "Right. Flattered." He narrowed his eyes, peering over the rim. Hnnnn....

Then he shook his head. "Whatever. So, you're backing the ol' chrysanthemum, huh?"

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:58 am 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"Cousin," he adds with a gesture to the ronin, "may I present Mari, a healer. Mari-san, Kasuga Asakuro, the Imperial Peafowl Supervisor."

And he bows.

The Imperial pea-fowl.... you have got to be kiddin... no, no, I know better. Bloody imperials will come up with a job for everything.

"It is an honor and a privilege," she said carefully. No disrespect there. Getting in the good graces of the Imperials did make for a well tended life, after all. Assuming politics didn't do exactly what it was doing. "I must imagine you are far from your usual duties right now."

She hadn't seen any pea-fowl around here....

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:03 am 

Kakita Masahiko wrote:
Kakita Masahiko took up the tea to sip, and nodded slowly. "Right. Flattered." He narrowed his eyes, peering over the rim. Hnnnn....

Then he shook his head. "Whatever. So, you're backing the ol' chrysanthemum, huh?"
"Flattered, in a way." She smiled but then looked momentarily confused as she heard Togashi Iko's effort. "I... have my orders Kakita-san. Needless to say that if his forces come here I will fight them every step of the way. Just as I did at Toshi no Omoidoso."

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:07 am 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"Cousin," he adds with a gesture to the ronin, "may I present Mari, a healer. Mari-san, Kasuga Asakuro, the Imperial Peafowl Supervisor.

Somewhere nearby, Sukima heard the phrase 'Imperial Peafowl' and shivered. One of the few reasons she appreciated being away from the palace - those damned peacocks.

[PM if approached]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:07 am 

The Tortoise nodded his head regarding his cousin's note-keeping but was soon distracted away from sneaking a peek by the introduction of another standing near him.

"Mari-san, is it? A pleasure," he said to the ronin woman warmly and offered a bow of respect, one more deferential than usual despite their station. "Indeed I am. In most any part of the year one would find me tending to duties at the Imperial Menagerie and the great creatures of the Empire entrusted to be displayed within, the glorious Mojaku among them. By last minute appointment, however, my tasks for winter were instead directed to court in Morikage Toshi where I arrived in good haste, and from there, well... now I am here instead," he described without detailing the horror of court and the evacuation in-between said things.

"I assume that the Miya herald's announcement has already traveled far and wide? This one attended when it was first read out to the assembled and listening. A most surprising accusation, in content at least, though unsurprising that such a statement was held close-hold until a moment of opportunity to deploy it. But truth to the matter? Uncertain, to say the least, though I imagine that the assembled Lion are most displeased..." he mused as he fluttered his fan.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:20 am 

Daidoji Tetsuko wrote:
"Flattered, in a way." She smiled but then looked momentarily confused as she heard Togashi Iko's effort. "I... have my orders Kakita-san. Needless to say that if his forces come here I will fight them every step of the way. Just as I did at Toshi no Omoidoso."

Masahiko understood orders, and he understood discretion within the limits of those orders. That pretty much defined his life, after all. So he nodded solemnly, then said:

"Glad to hear it," but his eyes said: I'll be asking about those orders later, coz.

"So, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for Nikesake. We've not exactly shown our best side to you visitors, what with the angst and the finger-pointing and the horde of angry spirits descending on us. I promise, it really is a lovely town. Most of the time."

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:22 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani raises her eyebrow at this. "I apologize, Togashi-san, but do you believe that there is a path here where the Steel Chrysanthemum doesn't do as much damage as he can on the way to Otosan Uchi? Speaking from my experiences, he has not seemed terribly keen on talking.

"I am not against an idea that would save lives, per se. I am simply skeptical that any such plan is practical if it expects the Steel Chrysanthemum to take a more peaceful path."

"I have no such experience, but there is truth in the notion that if there were a peaceful resolution to this conflict it would be all the better for the lives it might yet save. May, as you might be like to see I speak with you here now and not on the grander stage because I have no plan that I might offer otherwise. Yet, I understand there are those that have come together and wished to discuss finding such a plan, that they might yet save lives where otherwise they would surely be lost. In that alone, I find merit. For needless death is one such consequence as should always be avoided at every turn."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:27 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
"I assume that the Miya herald's announcement has already traveled far and wide? This one attended when it was first read out to the assembled and listening. A most surprising accusation, in content at least, though unsurprising that such a statement was held close-hold until a moment of opportunity to deploy it. But truth to the matter? Uncertain, to say the least, though I imagine that the assembled Lion are most displeased..." he mused as he fluttered his fan.

"Ah yes so that explains much... One such as yourself would probably have been a welcome guest in any great court such as that." At least as little as she knew such things. The court of a gokenin was the largest she ever knew, and calling that a court was ... a bit of an understatement.

"We had been speaking of it as well. I saw the announcement from a small distance. It is ... a great deal to take in."

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:53 am 

Dressed in the same white as her cousin, Horonigai rises to the stage and takes a bow to the Governor, and another to the rest of those gathered.

"Minna-san. I would like to provide my deepest gratitude to the Governor and to the hospitality of the Lion I am much honored. Eto, I also would like to announce that, in order to support the words of a high-ranking member of my Family without troubling my hosts, while still mournful of the incident that happened yesterday that took its toll in the lives of samurai both in Crane and Lion: I won't be staying at Nikesake Castle starting from today. Arigatou gozaimashita."

She bows again to the Governor. Then, she takes a deep breath and continues:

"If one believes that the report announced today by the Imperial Shisha was untrue, honor requires me to overrule such statement. As an Abdicator that has not left the Imperial Families, I do not have divided loyalty to a Clan in detriment of the others, as I stay fully endorsed by the Celestial Heavens. The Shisha are the voice of the Emperor. Even fallen, that voice booms out through the Miya. Denying it is a grave offense."

She places a hand over her chest, and confesses, looking up, "Ne. I wish those words weren't true. I do. From the bottom of my heart. Yet, wishing is a sin. I forego of my own ego in the name of duty."

The Miharu smiles, saying, "The honorable sacrifice I had the honor to attend earlier today, in this very Castle, strengthens this notion in me. It saddens me to accept, but it is what is required of me. Full responsibility. If there's anyone of my rank that disagrees, I would gladly accept the challenge, onegaishimasu."

She bows one last time.

---
Courtier/Awareness +VP +Benten +2Raises (Avoid Offense, Bonus point) TN 25: 5d10o10k5 22
Support to Separatists: Failed
Those that want can get offended.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 am 

"As welcome as one who carries the Shell on their back would be, at least, though surprisingly more welcoming than others," he responded with a nod, still continuing to scan the assembled crowd as he lowered his voice to continue.

"Mmm, so you likely also heard the outburst from that one among the Lion - no doubt that when one roars there are others in the horizon that will roar in response. A most grave accusation and insult levied against a rare Empress of their stock, however, so quite understandable. From among those that carry their mon proudly and pridefully, however... as said, at least it was understood for what it was by all in the crowd, but as one wandered the streets this morning there were some strange peculiarities among them. While shopping for some fresh greens for a peafowl that had come into this one's possession, I overheard the same argument being made by one of the same clan, only... only they were shouting from an alley that, when this one peered into, had no other about but them as if they were arguing it to none but themselves, only quite aloud. A curious thing," he described of the scene that he had come across.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:00 am 

Togashi Mai wrote:
"I have no such experience, but there is truth in the notion that if there were a peaceful resolution to this conflict it would be all the better for the lives it might yet save. May, as you might be like to see I speak with you here now and not on the grander stage because I have no plan that I might offer otherwise. Yet, I understand there are those that have come together and wished to discuss finding such a plan, that they might yet save lives where otherwise they would surely be lost. In that alone, I find merit. For needless death is one such consequence as should always be avoided at every turn."

"I will have to trust in those who are able to ply trade in diplomacy. I would be glad to see this ended without further unnecessary bloodshed. There are more important things at work, for sure."

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 am 

Listening to the speeches that were given in court, there were some that pained her, and some who moved her.

"I..." she hesitated, before managing to speak up. "I am Togashi Tsukimi, and I stand by the words of Yogo Sukima-sama. Well said."

Not... very effective.

------

D9 EA Influence roll (Imperialist). +1k1 Void. 3 raises. TN 30: 7d10o10k4 22

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 am 

Kodama wrote:
"Is his abdication of the Hantei name a sign of agreement that there is an heir?" Kodama asks. "Or did he take the Seppun name before the child was born?"

"That...is an excellent question, Kodama-san."

Tameaki looks upward, thinking, folds his arms, and taps his fan on his left elbow.

"Normally, the abdication is affected in order to avoid the risk of a succession struggle," he answers, "and occurs on the ascension of the new Emperor. The proper heir is newly-born - less than a year old, I think? - so Seppun-sama would have left the Hantei for the Seppun prior to the child's birth. As such, until the birth of the heir, his path to the Throne upon his brother's death would be clear, but it is not."

Carries/Wears: Extravagant clothing, wakizashi, jitte, mask, fan, personal seal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:10 am 

Kodama nods at that. "May I ask who it is that is the highest ranking samurai in the Empire, after the Emperor's death? Normally that is a very straight forward answer, but," He doesn't quite finish the sentence but instead looks around a bit to the chaos of current life.

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:11 am 

Kodama wrote:
Kodama nods at that. "May I ask who it is that is the highest ranking samurai in the Empire, after the Emperor's death? Normally that is a very straight forward answer, but," He doesn't quite finish the sentence but instead looks around a bit to the chaos of current life.

Tameaki answers firmly and loudly enough to be overheard, "Without question, that would be the Emperor's consort - the Empress."

Carries/Wears: Extravagant clothing, wakizashi, jitte, mask, fan, personal seal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:14 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"I will have to trust in those who are able to ply trade in diplomacy. I would be glad to see this ended without further unnecessary bloodshed. There are more important things at work, for sure."

"May, it is their goal that I think most would be most happy to see and in such I find the merit. Yet, such as it is, a path has yet been chosen, an army yet marches, and lives are yet in danger. What may be, may be, and we are yet left here to discuss and wonder after it," Mai said, glancing off toward the room in general.

"However, I have taken up much of your time Matsu Tani-sama," she bows, "and I would thank you for it. If there is naught you would need of me I find myself most satisfied as of yet and would not take up your time further needlessly."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next