It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lion's Court (D9, Early Afternoon)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 pm 

Mari wrote:
"I will admit that you are probably right. The Empress would probably seek a fitting resolution, one in keeping with law, but if even half of what I have heard of the returned spirit is true, I do not foresee him doing the same." She was almost dead certain that he wouldn't. They all seemed set on a path of mutual destruction at this point, one that would severely impact imperial defenses.

"That said, if Seppun Kato does bring a sizable force to bear in this conflict, and if he wins, that will strengthen his assertion substantially. It is not only in duels that the will of Heaven is said to be ascertained."

Seitouna lets his hand slip to his chin, drop, and he raises it for less than a heartbeat towards Moto Bataar.

"That one will either emerge a hero or dead, I think."

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm 

Kayou wrote:

Kayou nods. "This one understands. It is far from a pleasant experience. One's insides should stay . . . inside."

"But infiltrating the city? That is troubling news indeed."

"Indeed it is. There could already be multiple agents inside.. When the fighting starts we must be extra vigilant against those who would attempt to disrupt our defense efforts. They glow faintly, so they should be able to spot, but in the chaos of battle I fear it will be something many fail to notice."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:01 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"That said, if Seppun Kato does bring a sizable force to bear in this conflict, and if he wins, that will strengthen his assertion substantially. It is not only in duels that the will of Heaven is said to be ascertained."

Seitouna lets his hand slip to his chin, drop, and he raises it for less than a heartbeat towards Moto Bataar.

"That one will either emerge a hero or dead, I think."

Her tone was a tiny bit wooden as she regarded the Moto and nodded more to herself than anything. "I don't know that there is a difference, deep down. Most heroes do end up dying a heroic death," she said, shaking her head. She wasn't exactly comfortable looking over at him.

"I believe in a moment I will speak my peace. The Agasha promoting me yesterday at least gives me the feeling I have leave to speak, so long as I am careful of my words." Her eyes cast directly towards Mogami. She had no problem with that woman at all. After all, she'd been quite pleasant, but the Matsu was temperamental and she wore her heart on her sleeve on this and every matter. Had to phrase this very carefully.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:03 pm 

Moto Baatar wrote:
Baatar nodded in grateful acknowledgement of the Asako hero's comment. Stepping into conversational distance, he complained, "All this talk-talk and very little of it will help the city gates stand against Steel Flower's army. In fact, I think some of these people might prefer to open the gates for him."

The Unicorn was growing on him and he said, "Agreed, the time for talk has largely come and gone, now is the time to prepare for the inevitable siege to come."

Status: 4.0 | Glory: 10.0 | Infamy: .4 | Honor: Untrustworthy
Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:03 pm 

Mari wrote:
"I believe in a moment I will speak my peace. The Agasha promoting me yesterday at least gives me the feeling I have leave to speak, so long as I am careful of my words." Her eyes cast directly towards Mogami. She had no problem with that woman at all. After all, she'd been quite pleasant, but the Matsu was temperamental and she wore her heart on her sleeve on this and every matter. Had to phrase this very carefully.

Seitouna follows her eyes to the Moto and to the Matsu.

He nods.

"Some are more open than others to new things and understanding. But, yes, you have the right of it."

And he makes ready to write her words, when she takes the floor.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
Seitouna follows her eyes to the Moto and to the Matsu.

He nods.

"Some are more open than others to new things and understanding. But, yes, you have the right of it."

And he makes ready to write her words, when she takes the floor.

There had been no public speeches in a moment, and feeling that the opportunity existed, she nodded and rose up. Waiting her turn before speaking, she was not exactly timid but rather demure in speaking out. "Minna-samas, it honors me that you continue to allow one of my station to speak in your assemblage. This morning's announcement, brought to the city by the Miya Heralds, leaves a great many and serious concerns of both honor and the very fabric of the celestial order before us."

A shake of her head. "I am beneath any right to judge the merits of one man's case or another. I carry not the testimony of any, and I have never once been to the capitol or had the privilege of meeting any of those whose names I have heard recited to me, but I know that the heralds do not ride lightly. They speak by Imperial authority, and therefore we consider them sacrosanct, hands of the throne of the Hantei, the Son of Heaven."

"What has been relayed to us on the behalf of Seppun Kato-sama I will neither dispute, nor will I support, but I know that the Empress is attested a woman of the highest character, and such a woman has nothing to lose for seeing the proper forms followed, that the Heaven's justice and righteousness be promoted. Surely, once the celestial imbalance that is the Steel Chrysanthemum's armies is put to right, this matter that has been brought before the empire at large ought be settled as is meet, in the courts of the Capitol, testimony heard and the truth seen? We are samurai, and we live in Sincerity and in Truth, after all. And when it is done, what will be, it will be." She might not speaking on Kato's behalf, but she definitely supported his claim at least being addressed instead of batted away out of hand.

She remained at the fringes for a moment, casting a glance back to the Kasuga. Only when she was sure none wished to speak to her would she slip back.

( Courtier, Void - 25: 1 point - Separatist.)
(PM if you approach please.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:19 pm 

For his part, the Kasuga is writing.
Quote:
There was one point brought up in support, not of Seppun Kato but of a different resolution. Leaving aside the question of Hantei XVI, the question of the Empress's fidelity was one that needed to be addressed--by her and her champion. The thought occurs to me that the Emerald Champion, a Kakita, may well not stand for a Matsu-born--but that exceeds me to know until I see.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:41 pm 

Moto Akemi wrote:
Akemi hid a laugh behind her sleeve.

"Truly? I had heard that it was very different from the stories I've been told, but to never see a building? That must have been quite an experience. Then again, when my husband showed me a...what do you call it, Chomchong? The extremely large tents? That surprised me, I have only stayed in very small one person tents during my time in the Shinomen Mori. I would have enjoyed one of those much larger tents for that campaign."

"Well, we saw smaller buildings in villages. But they were not overly large, about the size of a peasant house, or the Chomchongs. The larger communal tents that the Unicorn use for large meetings or communal food are even bigger than those. Sometimes two to three times the size. But they're still not as big as an inn with three floors. My first time passing by a castle was shocking. The walls that would have taken years to build, four or five stories tall with shingled roofing, doorways and gates that you can walk two or three horses abreast through. It was mind-boggling trying to rationalize how it didn't collapse under it's own weight."

Equipment: Daisho, armor, dai-kyu, sake cup, bottle of water, knife, Meushi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:20 am 

Soshi Tameaki wrote:
"It does happen, but rarely," answers Tameaki. "When it does, the brother most often 'inherits' control until an underage child can reach maturity. It may also occur as a result of expressed wishes of the deceased, in cases where a normal heir cannot claim the inheritance due to a duty posting of the same or greater importance elsewhere, or if the normal heir is deemed permanently incapable of managing the inheritance."

"Ah, so. And, did the blessed Hantei give any indication he preferred his brother to take the throne? From what I am hearing, Seppun Kato has declared himself to be Emperor, not merely covering till his nephew takes the throne. Oh, which raises another question - how often has one gone from being a Seppun or Otomo back to being a Hantei - aside from the blessed Hantei the Tenth, of course."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:23 am 

Masahiko steps forward and speaks up. Someone had asked for a historical point, and he had the answer!

"Ah, the esteemed brother of Hantei XVI held the throne in a regency capacity for a time, but declined to take the title in deference to the child-prince. That is the only time that I am aware of something like this situation having happened."

Masahiko bowed to all present and withdrew with a gigantic smile.

I'm helping!

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:14 am 

Sukima rose, her manner serious and a surprisingly commanding presence. She looked over those gathered confidently and her voice projected. She seemed unusually in her element today.

"Honored guests gathered here today..."

"We have been faced today with a most disturbing missive claiming a terrible rumor of Hantei Tokiyo. I assure you that this claim is untrue. What has been said is not only an insult to the Empress, but to our fallen Emperor."

"I respect Hantei XXII's decision in who to marry and will believe in the honor of his spouse. My brother understood more than anyone the trials that face those that guide the Empire, and he entrusted his legacy and bloodline to Hantei Tokiyo-sama with that in mind. I can't believe, with as many who have tried to betray him in the past, that he would make that decision with anything less than the utmost care. He faced the betrayal of the Steel Chrysanthemum assured of that decision. That anyone would claim or believe less is an insult to his memory."

"The Empress is a woman of honor, and the best person to see to the Empire while the heir comes of age. As an abdicator myself, I would normally hesitate regarding a one who originate in the Clans, as loyalty to one does not quickly disappear, but I believe that she is capable of seeing past that and to the good of the Empire as a whole."

"The Steel Chrysanthemum, who portrayed himself as one thing only to betray and murder his kin, should not even be in consideration as his armies approach our walls. Perhaps he left his honor in his last life, because he shows none now. Those who would take advantage of the Miya to spread rumor should also be beyond consideration."

"Thank you for your time."

She returned to her seat hiding a small smile behind her fan while her Kitsu ancestors howled in her head. Now matter what they said, she did her best. she could be proud of her ability today.

How could you say such things?! You betray your kin and your ancestors!

No... I refuse to betray those I care about for you.

---

Influence: Courtier/Awareness + Void, 3 raises for TN 30: 8d10o10k4 57 +4 Imperialist Points

-10 Honor for defying her ancestors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:26 am 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
For his part, the Kasuga is writing.
Quote:
There was one point brought up in support, not of Seppun Kato but of a different resolution. Leaving aside the question of Hantei XVI, the question of the Empress's fidelity was one that needed to be addressed--by her and her champion. The thought occurs to me that the Emerald Champion, a Kakita, may well not stand for a Matsu-born--but that exceeds me to know until I see.

Now that the Yogo had spoken eloquently on the matter and taken the focus away, Mari bowed to her once and slipped back into a seated position next to the Kasuga breathing a little easier. She didn't like being exposed like that, but it was done.

"Proving to be rather interesting so far," she said quietly. Mind you, to her she only wanted what supporting Kato would bring. Did it really matter who sat on the throne? One of them would, but Kato's interference would only make it worse for them all. Even she could see that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:29 am 

Isawa Hachi wrote:
"Ah, so. And, did the blessed Hantei give any indication he preferred his brother to take the throne? From what I am hearing, Seppun Kato has declared himself to be Emperor, not merely covering till his nephew takes the throne. Oh, which raises another question - how often has one gone from being a Seppun or Otomo back to being a Hantei - aside from the blessed Hantei the Tenth, of course."

"I have not been told of any such declaration on the part of the late and lamented Hantei," Tameaki confirms. "As for one who has left the Hantei line in accordance with the traditional abdication of an Emperor's children who do not ascend to the Throne...I am unaware of any other such return to the Imperial Family, but the laws of succession allow for such an event in the event of an Emperor who dies without heir."

Carries/Wears: Extravagant clothing, wakizashi, jitte, mask, fan, personal seal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 am 

Iko took the stage, but even she did not believe in her words today, spring-boarding off the rumors she had heard on the way to the Blue Tiled Room.

"Well if the Steel Chrysanthemum is good enough for the Kitsu…"

Before slinking away out of the bright, bright spotlight back to her corner.

--------------------------
D9 Influence. All in for traditional 5 raises TN40: 7d10o10k4 18

Carries: Daisho, Yumi (where appropriate)
Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 am 

Coming in a bit later than most, the Imperial Peafowl Supervisor quietly entered the governor's courtroom for the proceedings, discussions, arguments, and so on of the day. Pretty sparse... he commented to himself as he took in what he considered quite drab surroundings compared to the opulent and almost over-the-top disgustingly rich settings he had witnessed over the past couple seasons. Still, there was something to be said of Lion practicality, was there not?

He looked about the court, fluttering his customary peafowl-patterned fan and dressed in his kimono which was plain in pattern but quite extravagant for its make: a black base, about as dark as could possibly be made, with gold-threaded trim on the edges of the neck and sleeves, present with the Tortoise mon but with no other iconography of note to be found unlike the carps, eels, waves, and other motifs he had been witnessed in at earlier times. As he scanned the room, he saw his cousin Tortoise from across the way and quickly and quietly approached, sticking to the edge so as not to disturb any ongoing proceedings.

"Good afternoon, dear cousin," he greeted Seitouna and offered a respectful bow. "Have you had your rice today? I hope I have not missed too much of the proceedings thus far - at least, not anything particularly intriguing..." he asked as he looked around at the assembled courtiers and others.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:04 am 

Soshi Tameaki wrote:
"I have not been told of any such declaration on the part of the late and lamented Hantei," Tameaki confirms. "As for one who has left the Hantei line in accordance with the traditional abdication of an Emperor's children who do not ascend to the Throne...I am unaware of any other such return to the Imperial Family, but the laws of succession allow for such an event in the event of an Emperor who dies without heir."

Masahiko frowned. I just said that! He leaned down to whisper to Tetsuko.

"What gives? Didn't I say it right?"

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:15 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
"Good afternoon, dear cousin," he greeted Seitouna and offered a respectful bow. "Have you had your rice today? I hope I have not missed too much of the proceedings thus far - at least, not anything particularly intriguing..." he asked as he looked around at the assembled courtiers and others.

As another Kasuga approached, Mari made a little more space and bowed to them in turn, staying quiet and giving Seitouna a chance to introduce her if he wished to do so, a murmured "Kasuga-sama" on her lips.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
She took a breath, then nodded. "Several honorable Samurai are now dead, and not in honorable combat against an enemy, but to politics. I had hoped, optimistically perhaps, that politics would be set aside to deal with a threat. And I find myself, admittedly, somewhat disappointed that such things caused the deaths of Crane and Lion both.

"Alas, what's done is done. I've no intention to sit and dwell on what could have or should have happened. There is still an army moving in our direction, and it is not going to wait for us to resolve our own squabbles."

"A most agreeable position to take, Matsu Tani-sama. Yet, it is good that at least through yourself the Lion shall remain focused on the problems of the day that may yet make the problems of tomorrow irrelevant. May, it is a dark day any day that we have a common enemy and yet bicker among ourselves even still in such a fashion that leads to the loss of life."

"May, I would turn attention then to those problems of tomorrow even still as there is yet nothing better we might still do today. Of the recent developments, I would wonder to the thoughts Matsu Tani-sama has. Certainly, the direction of which would be most unsurprising. Yet, I would wonder what you would say of those who take differing opinions, of what you understand of their nature?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:32 am 

"I wish I could understand their perspective," she shook her head. "The Steel Chrysanthemum is a murderer. I do not pretend to understand Seppun Kato's motivations, and would not cast aspersions on a member of the Imperial families. But the timing of his declarations create more problems than they solve. I am a soldier, not a politician. And the only way I can see Seppun Kato's plans is from the perspective of my limited tactical understanding.

"And from that understanding, the only reason to make such a declaration on both sides is to weaken each of them."

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:37 am 

Kakita Masahiko wrote:
Masahiko frowned. I just said that! He leaned down to whisper to Tetsuko.

"What gives? Didn't I say it right?"

Tetsuko looked up at her cousin and blinked. She gestured to the tea and poured him a cup. Opening her fan she lowered her voice too.

"Sometimes, Kakita-san, a samurai with higher status will attempt to pass off a lower status samurai's point as their own. Perhaps with more flowery language, and especially if they think the point clever or important. The Doji are masters of this. I suppose in a way you should be flattered."

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next