It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lion's Court (D9, Early Afternoon)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:28 pm 

Kayou wrote:

"This one hopes they serve nobly and well." says Kayou.

"This one wishes your budoka a speedy recovery. Though she fear more injuries are on the way as the Usurper's forces must be coming soon."

"Indeed, especially if they infiltrate the city as the one this morning did. I nearly was bested, but fortunes favored me in the end. I will say, being disemboweled and then later healed by the kami is a novel sensation. Not one I would recommend. "

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:48 pm 

Erina did want to talk about the merits of the Empress, but a feeling of frustration takes its toll, taking her off subject.

"It's so good to see everyone here. You wouldn't think that would be a difficult or costly thing but alas, it's the duty of the Lion to be more honorable than those who slander it and to let things go for the greater good."

It's a message that does not stir a rousing group of support for the Empress, but Erina is in no mood to play games today, what with having to fight off the voices of her ancestor earlier in the day.

Day 9 Influence Thread-Courtier/Awareness-1 raise-TN 20: 4d10o10k3 14

[PM if approached or responded to]

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:11 pm 

The Ronin entered into the court, bowing low to those present. To be honest, she hadn't been sure about coming here. On the one hand, there were peasants who were still hungry, and it wouldn't have been hard to find more than her share of 'work' to do in their midst. Not much in the way of tipping, but goodwill was worth more than gold on the worst days. However, she also knew that if she did that every day, there was an ever increasing chance that the Lions would take offense to the implications, and it might draw just a little too much attention for her tastes.

Unbelievably, she thought to herself that she drew less attention in visiting the court, and when one of the guards had informed her that she was permitted to attend as were any samurai, she had made her way here. Her kimono was as threadbare as ever, but she'd cleaned up as best she could before coming into the court, leaving her straw cloak and hat outside of the chambers before arriving. When her bow ended, she moved to a spot on her own, gauging who was present at the moment and the sentiment of those present.

She watched the assembly, gauging the mood. How to phrase, how to phrase, because she finally felt like she had a position.

(PM if you approach, she'll post her roll shortly.)

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani looked to the Togashi, her head tilting for a brief moment. But she nodded and bowed. "Hai, of course, Togashi-sama. I would be glad to speak with you."

"Thank you, Matsu-sama," she said, bowing her head. Leading them to a spot they might be properly conversational she properly bowed. "I am Togashi Mai, an artisan following the way of the Tattoo. My hope in asking to speak with you was that I might gain an understanding of your thoughts on much of what has happened in recent days."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:14 pm 

Tani followed after Mai, nodding her head at the explanation. "It is an honor to meet you, Togashi-san. I am Matsu Tani, Nikutai in the First Matsu Army and Daughter to the Antecedent Matsu Daimyo. I would gladly offer what thoughts I may, but know that my knowledge is second hand, as I was out of the city most of yesterday until only a few minutes ago."

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 pm 

Seitouna continues taking notes.
Quote:
I did note that Matsu Erina, who works with the actual lions and with whom I had worked to scout out spirit infiltrators in the city, spoke on behalf of the Empress and the Heir, though haltingly. It is not a surprise, perhaps; the Matsu are not noted for their courtly training, Matsu Mogami notwithstanding. But her remarks about slander certainly merit attention; Lion are dangerous when they feel themselves insulted.

He notes Mari enter the room and nods, a slight smile touching his lips for a moment before he continues.
Quote:
Having heard the talk about Seppun Kato, however, I cannot help but wonder if the Tortoise are better served by draping the Shell with the Spider's web. I am glad I am not the one to make the choice for all, but I could wish I had clearer direction from on high than I do at the moment.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
He notes Mari enter the room and nods, a slight smile touching his lips for a moment before he continues.
Quote:
Having heard the talk about Seppun Kato, however, I cannot help but wonder if the Tortoise are better served by draping the Shell with the Spider's web. I am glad I am not the one to make the choice for all, but I could wish I had clearer direction from on high than I do at the moment.

Catching sight of the Kasuga once again with his odd recordings and strange way of speaking, she suppressed a smirk and made her way over once more to bow to him. "I trust this seat is open, Kasuga-sama?" she said in a low voice. Good. She'd wondered if he'd make an appearance today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm 

Masahiko frowned at the mention of slander and thought about opening his mouth, but was unwilling to let Matsu Kogokyu's sacrifice lose meaning. He rolled his shoulders and let his eyes wander aimlessly around the court.

Tortoise from earlier...neat monk persons of all descriptions...yup, not a usual Nikesake court

Owns: Kyuzo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"Indeed, especially if they infiltrate the city as the one this morning did. I nearly was bested, but fortunes favored me in the end. I will say, being disemboweled and then later healed by the kami is a novel sensation. Not one I would recommend. "

Kayou nods. "This one understands. It is far from a pleasant experience. One's insides should stay . . . inside."

"But infiltrating the city? That is troubling news indeed."

Carries: Prayer Beads, satchel with writing supplies.

Description
Art by Joanne Kwan

Last edited by Kayou on Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:33 pm 

Seitouna nods as Masahiko's eyes meet his own. Then,
Mari wrote:
Catching sight of the Kasuga once again with his odd recordings and strange way of speaking, she suppressed a smirk and made her way over once more to bow to him. "I trust this seat is open, Kasuga-sama?" she said in a low voice. Good. She'd wondered if he'd make an appearance today.

He returns the bow and says "For you, Mari-san, of course.

"And I trust you've eaten today."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
Seitouna nods as Masahiko's eyes meet his own. Then, he returns the bow and says "For you, Mari-san, of course.

"And I trust you've eaten today."

"I have," she assured him, settling down. "I decided that my presence would be better served here today than my practices the last two days in the streets." It wasn't quite an open admission that she didn't want to hand out magically conjured food to peasants every day and risk the local governor's ire, but hey it was still there under the surface.

"I trust discussion has been lively? Have they mentioned this morning's announcement?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:50 pm 

Mari wrote:
"I trust discussion has been lively? Have they mentioned this morning's announcement?"

"It has, and they have, if obliquely. I was not in position to hear it; I take it you were? If so, it would be good to hear of it more directly--and of your thoughts on the matter."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:03 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"It has, and they have, if obliquely. I was not in position to hear it; I take it you were? If so, it would be good to hear of it more directly--and of your thoughts on the matter."

A nod and she reached up to partially keep her sleeve veiled over her face, to minimize how much her voice traveled. "A miya herald arrived at the gates with an announcement by a Seppun Kato, announced as brother to the emperor. I know him not, but I have no reason to doubt one of the heralds. Otherwise they would not go from town to town with this missive."

"It appears he has made an accusation that the child upon the throne is illegitimate, and not of Hantei blood, and that the regent is in error to present him as Emperor. He has put forward that the child Lion by birth, of an Akodo Tamotsu." All names she barely knew existed. She was keeping it very much to 'what the Miya said' instead of her personal thoughts. "At the same time, he has pulically repudiated the Steel Chrysanthemum's claim on the throne as well and demanded action as he fortifies Toshi Ranbo and proclaims that he will marry a Scorpion woman, Bayushi Rumiko, sister of their champion."

She pursed her lips carefully and shook her head. "It appears the matter of succession has become muddied further. The Lion, particularly Matsu Mogami, were furious with the Miya." Not that she agreed. That Miya had in theory no stake. They were messengers, no more. A challenge needed to be demanded of Seppun Kato and no doubt would.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:18 pm 

Mari wrote:
Kasuga Seitouna wrote:

A nod and she reached up to partially keep her sleeve veiled over her face, to minimize how much her voice traveled. "A miya herald arrived at the gates with an announcement by a Seppun Kato, announced as brother to the emperor. I know him not, but I have no reason to doubt one of the heralds. Otherwise they would not go from town to town with this missive."

"It appears he has made an accusation that the child upon the throne is illegitimate, and not of Hantei blood, and that the regent is in error to present him as Emperor. He has put forward that the child Lion by birth, of an Akodo Tamotsu." All names she barely knew existed. She was keeping it very much to 'what the Miya said' instead of her personal thoughts. "At the same time, he has pulically repudiated the Steel Chrysanthemum's claim on the throne as well and demanded action as he fortifies Toshi Ranbo and proclaims that he will marry a Scorpion woman, Bayushi Rumiko, sister of their champion."

She pursed her lips carefully and shook her head. "It appears the matter of succession has become muddied further. The Lion, particularly Matsu Mogami, were furious with the Miya." Not that she agreed. That Miya had in theory no stake. They were messengers, no more. A challenge needed to be demanded of Seppun Kato and no doubt would.

Seitouna leans forward, cupping his left hand over his mouth as if deep in thought as his right makes hurried notes in the same strange script while Mari talks.

From under his hand, he mutters "Assuming their Champion agrees, that will effectively put the Scorpion in position of supporting the late Emperor's brother. But will they fight a war on two fronts, and against erstwhile allies? Because that seems to be the way things are moving."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:22 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
Seitouna leans forward, cupping his left hand over his mouth as if deep in thought as his right makes hurried notes in the same strange script while Mari talks.

From under his hand, he mutters "Assuming their Champion agrees, that will effectively put the Scorpion in position of supporting the late Emperor's brother. But will they fight a war on two fronts, and against erstwhile allies? Because that seems to be the way things are moving."

"What I do not like is that this is a matter of the heavens and law being metted out in war and slaughter. Though war and duels might be unavoidable, some level of these must be handled by the courts, by testimony before it can ever be properly attested and a true heir placed upon the throne. If it is the current, then we kneel to him. But the truth of it must be seen, beyond mere force of arms."

In theory, the victor wrote the history, but it did not have to be this brute force. Underlying her tone, it was obvious that she supported at least allowing Kato to speak his mind, even if that resulted him getting his head chopped off or forced into a monastery to be forgotten somewhere in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:23 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani followed after Mai, nodding her head at the explanation. "It is an honor to meet you, Togashi-san. I am Matsu Tani, Nikutai in the First Matsu Army and Daughter to the Antecedent Matsu Daimyo. I would gladly offer what thoughts I may, but know that my knowledge is second hand, as I was out of the city most of yesterday until only a few minutes ago."

"Then I would thank you for what thoughts you might yet share Matsu Tani-sama," she said, a reverent bow of her head in thanks for good measure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 pm 

Togashi Mai wrote:
"Then I would thank you for what thoughts you might yet share Matsu Tani-sama," she said, a reverent bow of her head in thanks for good measure.

She took a breath, then nodded. "Several honorable Samurai are now dead, and not in honorable combat against an enemy, but to politics. I had hoped, optimistically perhaps, that politics would be set aside to deal with a threat. And I find myself, admittedly, somewhat disappointed that such things caused the deaths of Crane and Lion both.

"Alas, what's done is done. I've no intention to sit and dwell on what could have or should have happened. There is still an army moving in our direction, and it is not going to wait for us to resolve our own squabbles."

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm 

Mari wrote:
"What I do not like is that this is a matter of the heavens and law being metted out in war and slaughter. Though war and duels might be unavoidable, some level of these must be handled by the courts, by testimony before it can ever be properly attested and a true heir placed upon the throne. If it is the current, then we kneel to him. But the truth of it must be seen, beyond mere force of arms."

"That had been part of the discussion in Toshi no Omoidasu, when we first had word of events in Morikage Toshi. But when the matter at issue is who is the veritable font of justice, and when such act on one side as have done so..."

He trails off.

"But, yes, perhaps it were better settled without armies where it could be. Two sides of the three now in play might be able to do so; the third, I believe, is beyond such sweet reason. But that much seems to be clear to most, at least.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:45 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"That had been part of the discussion in Toshi no Omoidasu, when we first had word of events in Morikage Toshi. But when the matter at issue is who is the veritable font of justice, and when such act on one side as have done so..."

He trails off.

"But, yes, perhaps it were better settled without armies where it could be. Two sides of the three now in play might be able to do so; the third, I believe, is beyond such sweet reason. But that much seems to be clear to most, at least.

"I will admit that you are probably right. The Empress would probably seek a fitting resolution, one in keeping with law, but if even half of what I have heard of the returned spirit is true, I do not foresee him doing the same." She was almost dead certain that he wouldn't. They all seemed set on a path of mutual destruction at this point, one that would severely impact imperial defenses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 pm 

Asako Kashiwagi wrote:
The Asako nodded when his 42 glorious points to support Seppun Kato is acknowledged and even gave the Moto loudmouth a nod. He even said to the Moto barbarian, “A good point, well made Moto-san.”

Baatar nodded in grateful acknowledgement of the Asako hero's comment. Stepping into conversational distance, he complained, "All this talk-talk and very little of it will help the city gates stand against Steel Flower's army. In fact, I think some of these people might prefer to open the gates for him."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next