It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D8 LM, Scorpion Embassy] Red (and Black) Alert (closed)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:40 am 

"I am inclined to feel the same. It's hardly surprising for a slaughter spirit," she replied. "Regarding the two of them, though, they aren't the only options. There are other claimants, they're just less obvious."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:49 am 

That got a raised eyebrow. "Truly? You must excuse my knowledge of events, as my gempukku ceremony was quite delayed. I've scarcely been beyond my school for three years, and my knowledge is a little lacking in worldly matters. Care to enlighten, Yogo-sama?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 am 

She raised an eyebrow of her own. She didn't believe for one second he didn't know. "Hantei XXII was one of a dozen siblings. Otomo Hiro, Seppun Kato, and myself, as siblings to him, are all potential claimants, and probably the most prominent of them. Seppun Kato probably has the greatest current ability to back his claim."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:06 am 

"Ah," he said briefly, "you, by way of your brother, represent the third option. An appropriately cautious individual, seeing the chaos consuming the Empire, might be interested in hedging their bets, just to be sure. Is that close to what you might be suggesting?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:31 am 

"In general, you are correct," she replied with a nod.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am 

"Seems this one might do well to collect more information about his holdings." The non statement was, perhaps, a bit excessive, but one could never be certain about which words were being overheard. "Do you expect to be seeing your brother soon? Or are his duties likely to keep him elsewhere?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:46 am 

"He is, I suspect, rather preoccupied at the moment," she said. "Though her rarely lets that stop people from feeling his presence."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:00 am 

"Ah, like a poorly sized towel defending the discretion of an indescreet man at the onsen, is he?" Degarashi delivered the line flatly, with very little variation in his features.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:24 am 

"If I had to liken it to an onsen, I would say it's more like the steam," she said thoughtfully. "Most of the time it's there but not overbearing. Occasionally, in spots, it can get too much and make it hard for people to see and breathe."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:06 am 

"Mm, I see." Degarashi was somewhat disappointed that the analogy had been changed, but that fact revealed more about the man that he didn't know previously. "So you'd say he can be overt and still part of the background at the same time?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:19 am 

She nodded at that. "There's a reason some nicknamed him the Spider. You don't always notice the web until you're tangled in it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:32 pm 

Degarashi moved his arms around like one might if they were trapped in such a way, then brushed off his arms as if to banish the feeling from him. "I don't suppose hiding beneath his sister offers some manner of immunity?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:59 pm 

"Depends on how useful he thinks I am, like anyone else," she said, shrugging. "He's not known for his filial piety. If anything, he may be inclined to see me as a threat to his ascent."

"My brother's methods don't leave much room for making friends, which will eventually be to his disadvantage. Without a carrot and stick approach, one eventually ends up in a situation where one's allies conveniently forget to show up."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:04 pm 

"Mmmm, I see. Your brother may lack a sufficiently large carrot."

Degarashi paused, for a rather long moment.

"You ever get the feeling that saying the first thing that comes to mind isn't always the best idea?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:08 pm 

"I wouldn't know," she replied before laughing. "I mean, I get it, and yes, but kami."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:16 pm 

"Ah, she finally laughs. Pardon my saying so, denka, but you seem a bit strung out. I had to go for one of the lowest blows known to rokugan just to receive a decent chuckle. I understand times are difficult, but allowing the tension to rule your mind and body is certain to worsen the matter. Maybe something to take your mind off things would be in order, I hear there's a play being produced that might make its easy to a theater soon." There was, strangely, a genuine note of concern in his eyes. "Something simple yet effective, especially if we're to continue talk of what may very well be headed for us."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:44 pm 

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair, undoing a couple of braids in the process. Given the sheet length, it takes a few moments. "It feels like my world is balanced on the tip of a pin most days recently. It's hard not to be tense. Especially when anyone could be a well hidden enemy," she replied finally. "Hard to let out tension when you can't trust anyone. But I'll try it."

"I'd be more concerned expressing that, but you already know that from catching what you did earlier." She smiled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:52 pm 

He returned her smile with a mixture of warmth and cold calculation. "I didn't call you unwise, merely... let's say unhappy. Which is a wholly understandable place to be right now. And while I do not know your vice, I can hazard a guess that it hasn't provided much solace of late. Such things often require total surrender to have their intended effect, but such abandon comes with unintended effects as well. Caught between a rock and a sharp place indeed."

He leaned back, adopting an unusually casual posture. "I'll say nothing of my own trustworthiness. Any who speak on their own behalf in that regard is surely lying."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:15 pm 

"You're certainly close enough in your assessment that I can agree on several counts you brought up," she replied with a dry chuckle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:56 pm 

"Close enough is often fine for us, neh? Where the blade cannot reach, the poison most assuredly will." He flashed a smile. "It does, however, appear that we've exhausted much of what there is to say for now. Is there any other way in which I might serve you before I take my leave, denka?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next