It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:20 pm

Post subject: [D9 EE] Asahina's Wisdom
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 am 

Iko's mother had been unwell for a while, ever since the opening of Dark Divination. Tracing her history through the Asahina line on her mother's side, Iko decided that there wasn't a better place in all of Nikesake to offer her thoughts and prayers for the recovery of her mother, Ashidaka Nya.

Carries: Daisho, Yumi (where appropriate)
Description

Post subject: Re: [D9 EE] Asahina's Wisdom
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:27 am 

Meanwhile, idly browsing the Phoenix shrine, a child of Bayushi wanders in thought, visiting each of the fortunes, offering simple prayers, and wondering to himself about the vast difference between the twin of his own lineage, and the twin whose lineage he now observed. How different would his life be like if he and his were more like the brother who was chosen to live in the light, to learn of honor and truth, and seek out the same throughout his days.

Degarashi definitely wasn't projecting or anything..

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:31 am 

Rising from her knees, Iko offered a bow to the Scorpion. She personally held little like for most of their Clan, but in these times of trouble, any potential ally was to be welcomed, with open arms.

"A zeni for your thoughts Bayushi-san?" Iko spoke softly as she approached him.

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:46 am 

Degarashi regarded the Dragon for a moment. "Hunh, that's more value than most people give to my thoughts, Togadhi-sama." He bowed deeply, then turned back to regard the shrines. "Thinking on the nature of my family versus our progenitor's twin. It's a fair comparison regarding our alliance currently, with the Lion."

He sighed, looking away from Iko. "By what hand was I made as I am and allowed to live, while my brother was crafted to be so much more and struck low..."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:52 am 

"There is a plan for all of us Bayushi-san, sometimes we learn of it early, sometimes not until it is too late. But this I know for sure - there is value in all life."

She finds a small bench in a corner of the shrine and takes a seat, tapping the spot next to her, inviting the Scorpion over.

"What causes one leaf to fall from a tree, when the next holds on? What causes one fish to bite at a hook when the rest of its school swims past?"

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:58 am 

Degarashi bowed again and accepted the seat, eyes thoughtful as he considered the query. "Nothing I can observe directly, certainly. I can watch for a loosened leaf, or create a certain bait for a certain fish, but can guarantee neither result despite any effort I make. I suppose this is what they refer to as destiny?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:10 am 

"Some say Destiny, others call it Fate, some see it as just dumb luck. I realise that we have just met Bayushi-san, but I am Togashi Iko, and if you wish to share the burden you obviously carry. I would be willing to help you bear that load." Her voice is soft, and hopefully sincere as she speaks with Degarashi.

D9 EE - SIncerity (Honesty)/Awa with bland-san: 6d10o10k4 29

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:41 am 

Degarashi, for his part, seemed to accept Iko's words as she intended.

Investigation vs Sincerity: 5d10o10k3 23

"My brother is gone. Murdered on some feckless mission for the Empire as he rode down the forces of Toshigoku." There was a powerful bitterness in his words. "Dead, mostly, by his negligence of the ideals of our Clan, riding in the open against untold numbers like the Lion are known to do. And when he realized his folly, he accepted death and duty in the dirt. I'm supposed to accept this as proper and right, but I am struggling."

Sincerity (Honesty), -5 Doubt: 6d10o10k3-5 18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am 

"It is right to question, to seek meaning in meaningless death. Grief is hard to overcome, especially grief so fresh, the dead have it easy, it is those they leave behind who struggle to move on."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:37 am 

"Quite true, Togashi-sama, quite true. My brother..." Degarashi hesitated, having some trouble still with the letter he'd received. "My brother wrote to me, before the end. He'd wanted to talk about matters that had soured between us, and spoke of value and honor that he saw in me which I scarcely see in myself." He shook his head slowly. "Now I don't even know what realm he was claimed by, or where his soul might travel from there."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:57 am 

"I can't speak to where his soul travelled, from the sound of things I would assume either Meido or Yomi, but I am no expert. But self doubt?" She raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"That I can say I am an expert in. Tell me why you see yourself as a lesser man than your brother Bayushi-san, I just might have a little wisdom to impart after all."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:18 am 

Degarashi shrugged, lifting a hand to idly mime out his thoughts as he spoke. "I am often overlooked and ignored by society. I have taken great pains to understand the old ways of my Clan, but to many among the new generation I am shameful, dishonest, and a blight upon rokugan. Including my parents." He paused meaningfully. "They never speak such things outright, but made their thoughts clear through their actions. I've never been the favored son."

He leaned back and sighed. "But desiring such things is unseemly, and recently I've come to doubt how strongly I even want a life that isn't of my own making."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 am 

Iko leaned forward, as Degarashi slumped back, resting her elbows on her knees, she spoke down into the stones.

"Sometimes it is better to go unnoticed than to stand out Bayushi-san. I'm sure many other top students of Kakita Takashi will agree with me."

"Where I came from, tradition was something to be revered and respected not reviled. It sometimes takes a strong will to do what needs to be done."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:58 am 

"It certainly takes... something." Fundamentally Degarashi had no qualms with any number of questionable acts, but wasn't sure what such a state of mind cost him.

He began looking up, taking stock of what he could see in the skies above him. "You have a much more pragmatic approach to this than many others I've spoken to. Vilifying the Scorpion has perhaps always been a tradition, but recent years have seen our own number doing the same. May I ask why you, specifically, take so level a posture regarding my words?:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:30 am 

"As a Crane, wouldn't have given you the time of day, unless it was at the end of my blade." Iko freely admits.

"As a Dragon, there seems to be a lot more individual freedom in deciding how we serve our Clan and our Empire. I have wandered the Empire for years and have seen many people, serving many ways. Those who sell their personal honour to lift others up, and others who are saints in public and sinners in private."

"Your words are those of a samurai, a servant to his Lord, who finds himself out of favour the failing is not yours. It just shows how corrupt and broken the system has become."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 am 

"Hai, that does bode ill. Yet many would also cut down those who speak in such a way about the system itself. I'm surprised I wasn't shamed and challenged for my rakugo performance back in Toshi no Omoidosu, though that Seppun princess did have her eye upon my throat briefly."

Degarashi rubbed his neck self consciously. "They seem content to wave a dirty rag in the air and call it clean simply because their betters have declared it so. If nothing else I appreciate those willing to at least acknowledge that there is filth upon their silks."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:50 am 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
"Hai, that does bode ill. Yet many would also cut down those who speak in such a way about the system itself. I'm surprised I wasn't shamed and challenged for my rakugo performance back in Toshi no Omoidosu, though that Seppun princess did have her eye upon my throat briefly."

"Let them come." Iko replied, self confidence oozing from her. "I give myself a better chance than most at defending my words."

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
Degarashi rubbed his neck self consciously. "They seem content to wave a dirty rag in the air and call it clean simply because their betters have declared it so. If nothing else I appreciate those willing to at least acknowledge that there is filth upon their silks."

"Have faith Bayushi-san. There are people out there who not only see the filth, but struggle to clean it away. In fact...." She pauses for a minute but then shakes her head.

"No, nevermind."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:01 pm 

Degarashi raised an eyebrow, something he'd been doing so frequently lately he was considering building a viewing platform for it upon his face. "If facts are the currency of the day I should offer up that one doesn't withhold them from a Scorpion lightly. And you've already gone so far as to ignite this one's suspicion, there can be little harm in continuing."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:42 am 

"I'm not sure I should Bayushi-san, it's not my secret to share." Iko pauses for a moment, raising her gaze to the heavens going silent for almost a full minute.

"Well, have you heard the rumors about the Imperial Advisor's falling out with the Empress during her recent pregnancy? I don't want to be one to spread rumors, but lets just say that Doji-sama and I see.....eye to eye on a few matters."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:47 am 

Degarashi followed Iko's gaze. "I'm never entirely sure what to believe when I hear about the Crane, but if you feel it's beyond your place to speak, I accept that. Though it seems as if you're implying that another has the authority to do so, and you have an understanding with them. Would it then stand to reason that you could arrange an introduction, for the sake of my enlightenment?"