It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:11 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D8 LM, Scorpion Embassy] Red (and Black) Alert (closed)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:13 pm 

She let out a breath and shook her head. "His fiance was asking after him last evening, as well. I'm afraid, as you suspected, there's been no word yet."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:16 pm 

There was a brief silence, then a nod. "The sense of dread increases with time, especially considering our last encounter was less than peaceful. I feel I should be more concerned with what's at stake than any singular life, but despite myself my concern is for him."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:45 pm 

"I should probably urge you to stay focused, but..." she replied with a small nod. "Family is a powerful motive. I understand that very well."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:48 pm 

Degarashi nodded, focusing for a moment simply on breathing. "I'm inexperienced in these matters. Yukinaga rarely escapes battle with so much as a scratch on him, but I've never been there to watch him leave and await his return so close to the place where he fights. It's... maddening."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:04 am 

She nodded, pouring some tea for both of them. "It's difficult. I wasn't so close to where he was when my own brother disappeared, but I think I know the feeling to some degree. For me, it swung back and forth because reassuring myself he would be okay and trying to have hope, and feeling the constant tension of not knowing, and what if he wasn't?"

"Focusing on other things as much as I could helped, but that's not so easy here."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 am 

Degarashi accepted the tea gratefully, drinking deeply to try and still his nerves.

"First time for me, really, which is always the toughest time. And I find myself with little to distract me which doesn't bring my attention back around to the same issue, given how closely tied they are to each other. Thus proper directions are in short supply."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:17 am 

"It is," she agreed with a small nod. She thought for a few moments before saying, "Dread comes from anticipation of pain, ne? It would be painful, but sometimes it helps to address the cause directly in your mind - consider the possible scenarios and what you'll do and feel. It's not... easy, by any means, but it can help ease the dread and prepare for the trials that may be ahead."

She sighed and tilted her head. "Sorry... My first instinct is always to try and solve things like this, but emotions don't really have an easy fix. Not that anything else seems to these days."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:24 am 

Degarashi chuckled dryly, shaking his head with a sigh. "I've had plenty of council on the matter already, and have found brief and shallow comfort from it. Now I'm gradually returning back to where I was before."

He raised his eyes somewhat, looking at Sukima with his head still bowed. "What do you do when your normal methods prove unsuccessful, Yogo-sama?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:43 am 

"I won't pretend to be an expert, then... I just wish I could help more," she admitted, tilting her head to the side and sighing with a wan smile. "Personally? I think most people have a favorite vice they indulge occasionally when things get too much. I'm the same."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 am 

"A vice, you say? That does seem in keeping with what I know of those I've encountered so far. Most seem to focus entirely on their preference of wine. I've known a few who overextend themselves at the dojo in some manner."

He raised a curious eyebrow, tilting his head to one side. "Even you, denka? What manner of vice would be keen enough to overwhelm one such as yourself?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:59 am 

She let out a small huff of air through her nose, an almost laugh as she closes her eyes. "Indulging and overwhelming are quite different," she replied, a small smirk curving her lips, "but-"

He trying to extract your weaknesses from you. Even if he's not your enemy, and he might be, he could use it against you. You've said too much already.

"I'll leave you to wonder for now, if you don't mind. They say a woman should retain a bit of mystery, ne?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:06 am 

Degarashi raised both eyebrows at Sukima.

Then he laughed. Arms crossed over his belly laughter, as if trying to contain his mirth, but there was something detached about it, as if it too were part of the act. "Yare yare, Yogo-sama, almost had you there, didn't I? It's always so surprising how often that works."

Then he bowed again, more deeply this time. "A reintroduction, then. This one is Bayushi Degarashi, Butei of the Shosuro, trained under Shosuro Mienai, at your service."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:43 am 

She blinked for a moment, then chuckled slightly.

"Well, at least it's good to know my mindset is to my advantage," she said, making an airy gesture. "You're quite good, I'll give you that."

"Pleased to meet you, Bayushi-san. I studied with the Otomo, as you know, and shared a teacher with Seppun Kato-oniisama. I hope our work together going forward will be fruitful."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 am 

"Indeed, denka, indeed. If you'd fallen for something that simple," he smirked, "I'd scarcely know what to think of you, especially with uncertain times on the horizon."

Degarashi took a more relaxed seat before Sukima, though there was still a hint of tension in his shoulders. "It wasn't entirely an act, my concern is real, but the best lies are always rooted in truth, hidden in plain view for all to see." His eyes flashed with a brief, vibrant energy. "As for the matter of your vice, Yogo-sama, we can... explore that later. With your permission, naturally."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:55 am 

"And yet people still do. Everyone wants to believe they're the exception," she replied with a shrug. "Especially in uncertain times."

"I'll consider it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:01 am 

"That said," Degarashi folded his hands in front of him, "you were quite reserved in your briefing with the others today. I assume the more people there are, the greater the suspicion, which is fair and often correct. Are there any matters you'd be more willing to discuss now that you're speaking with someone you know for certain is watching you closely?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:32 am 

She took a deep breath and exhaled. "I'll need someone to keep half an eye on Soshi-san. I suspect he might start some fires. I may speak with Shosuro Uruwashii-sama on the subject."

She let out a small breath. "I'm leery about the Lion gaining so much power with the Throne, but the Steel Chrysanthemum is also a problem. The army of spirits is an obvious problem that needs to be defeated, but we're stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of leadership."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:40 am 

Degarashi nodded at each point, quietly contemplating. "I see. Luckily I've got four eye halves to spare currently or you might be in a bit of a bind there. The other issues are much greater, but I don't find myself unsympathetic to your concerns. A careful eye and even more careful hand will be quite necessary. If I discover any noteworthy avenues, I shall be forthcoming with the knowledge of them."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:24 am 

"Other issues are much greater, yes. I am curious about your own thoughts in that regard," she replied.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:32 am 

"I have little love for the Lion, but far less for the Steel Chrysanthemum. The Lion cause issues with the Scorpion's duty as the Underhand, plain and simple. Craving honor has left much of me empty with little to fill the void. I dislike the sensation greatly, but cannot escape it easily."

He shook his head. "As for the other... he is too overt. He craves fear and control, marching his armies after what he wants with no consideration of the consequences. It... lacks elegance."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next