It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:35 pm

Post subject: (D8, Early Evening) - Checking Out the Local Specialties
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:53 am 

The sun had not set yet, but it was hard to tell with all the clouds and rain. Street lamps had already been lit, and only a dim grey light mixed with the orange of the flames. Still, the shops were still open, and the Street of Scrolls was lit up more than most, in order to show off its goods.

Honestly, Yukarin wasn't too surprised; Sure, they were virtually in a state of siege, and it wasn't like new supplies were coming in any time soon. But such an influx of people, especially samurai... the merchant in her knew it would be too good of an opportunity to pass to try to sell to a bored courtier with no ability to leave the city easily.

Herself? She wasn't here to buy; She was here to check out the wares. If they were as quality as they were said to be in rumors, perhaps finding someone to add to her growing trade network could prove lucrative...

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

Post subject: Re: (D8, Early Evening) - Checking Out the Local Specialties
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:33 am 

Up ahead, Mogami stood in the rain, looking over a stall of curios, her two budoka standing next to her keeping watch. She points at something out of view and begins having a back and forth conversation with the merchant in what anyone versed in the ways of commerce would know, a game of haggling.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:44 am 

Yukarin stopped to view the haggling session curiously, spinning her umbrella very slightly in her fingers; A Lion haggling was quite unusual. In fact, the process of doing so had nearly offended her hosts back at Toshi no Omoidoso. Something about 'saying what you mean'. Still, she'd smoothed that over in the end.

...still didn't make this any less interesting.

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:53 pm 

Mogami's style was quite direct. She would simply say a number, and wait for a response. No double speak here when it came to trying to buy things. Unfortunately, it seemed this merchant was having none of it today. Mogami was unwilling to take the curio at full price, so both ended up unhappy over the ordeal. Turning to go, Mogami spots Yukarin and gives a bow.

"Ah, hello again. I believe we met in Toshi no Omoidoso?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:28 pm 

"Hai, that is so."

Yukarin gave a deep bow, her tush getting hit by rain briefly as the umbrella moves with her. It was very cold where it soaked through, but she didn't acknowledge that outwardly as she straightened.

"I'm Yasuki Yukarin, if I've not introduced myself. My first time in Nikesake, so I though I'd check out the famous wares here," she said, motioning to the stands with a brief wave.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:50 pm 

"Matsu Mogami."

She looks over the stall again

"Some of the curiosities are intriguing, but this merchant ti much too attached to the prices he set for them, and the items are worth barely half that. "

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:57 pm 

"Hm... I can understand that, given circumstances. It's not like new product will come in any time soon. And with all these refugees, I'm sure demand for things has gone up massively. Still, a bold move not lowering the price for a Lion samurai in Lion lands, I might think."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:59 pm 

"Indeed. I don't particularly need the item anyway though, perhaps Daikoku knew that. So, are you looking for anything in particular? I have only been here once before, but this street truly lives up to its name. Many a rare text can be found here."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:04 pm 

"If I may be honest? I am looking at the quality of the work and materials. Investment opportunities, as it were. Yes, paper goods are hardly a greater need for the Crab Clan, but it's not entirely a non point. If nothing else, coming to understand the flow of goods and talent across the Empire is an interest of mine, and one of the most constructive ways I can spend my time while here stuck in Nikesake."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 pm 

"Investment opportunities?"

Mogami looks back to Yukarin and raises an eyebrow.

"Do you have an estate to manage that would require more that what your lord can provide?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 pm 

"Neh neh. All I do I do in interest of helping my Clan focus on their duty. Investments mean Koku, Koku means materials, materials mean tetsubo and armor and fortifications. And those things mean Crab lives saved to hold the line. I realize that may be distasteful to some, but I take my duty seriously."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:48 pm 

Mogami nods.

"I have just recently taken over my family household and have quite a large amount to manage myself. Any tips you may have are appreciated. My own handling of monies has mostly gone toward outfitting and maintaining my Budoka. A test from my father before he was killed to see if I could manage logistics well, if I was to ever take his place as a General"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:08 am 

Her eyebrows went up a little, "A general? That's something that I've always been slightly interested in, but never really lined up for me. Regardless... I could certainly give pointers on how to budget and organize a household, but I'm sure you could offer me your own. I've not been married long, after all, or had an estate to manage any longer than that."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:12 am 

"Well, I only took over a few days ago. My family was slain by the Steel Chrysanthemum's dogs when the incident at Morikage Toshi began. Honestly I'm not sure what much is left of the actual estate itself, but we had quite a few different holdings. My own allotment each year has been a little more than 40 koku, which as I said has been going to outfit my budoka. Armor, bows, arrows, and supplies all add up quickly."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:37 am 

That got a hand to her chest and downcast eyes, "Oh.... I am sorry to hear about your recent loss. I'd not spoken to anyone caught up in the attacks yet. It is good you have loyal retainers you can count on with you though..."

She honestly wasn't sure what else to say; She never did good with talking about grief.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:47 am 

"Thank you. They will make a good addition to Meido and Yomi until they spin the wheel again. So, how much are you looking to invest?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:03 am 

"Well... I used up most of my investments back at Toshi no Omoidoso looking for copper and tin supplies. This is more future proofing; Thirty or forty Koku won't get much of a long term supply structure for Crab-Lion trade on it's own without realization of long term infrastructure and demand actualization. I don't even have the opportunity to check such things back home by letter, unless situations have changed now that I'm in Nikesake."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:15 am 

"That sounds like quite the work. I imagine things will not be stable for some time though. We don't know what will happen with the Steel Chrysanthemum. What makes you feel like now is a good time to invest and set things up? Mines could be destroyed and infrastructure ruined by this war..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:45 am 

That got a chuckle back to what had been a more serious face, the Crab's mood quite mercurial it seemed, "Now is always the time to invest in the future, Matsu-sama. Like the Yasuki say, 'Peace brings opportunity, war brings opportunity'. I'm sure the Lion Clan understand that in their own ways better than anyone else."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 am 

"Hm. I imagine so. Though does it not make you nervous to put so much into something that may not be able to give you back even half? It just seems such a risk right now to spend anything for a long term gain with everything being so volatile."