It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:31 pm

Post subject: D8LA, Wolf Dines on Turtle Soup? (Closed)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:59 pm 

As he had said he would, Seitouna makes arrangements for a meal for himself and his guest at the inn where he has found space.

It is a solid meal, not fancy, but still sound. Tea and sake are available.

And he awaits his guest.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

Post subject: Re: D8LA, Wolf Dines on Turtle Soup? (Closed)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:35 pm 

The door was opened and the shugenja made her way in, bowing to him before settling down to sit opposite the tortoise. "All this, just to discuss the mating habits of a few paltry fish? You do me too much honor, Kasuga-sama," she said, managing a very slightly wry twist to her grin. She couldn't resist taking a jab at her own attempt to keep herself busy. It hadn't worked that well earlier this afternoon after all.

Once she'd settled in a little, she allowed herself to relax just a bit. Part of her wanted to ask what this was about, but she also remembered that there were rules of etiquette, and what were a few moments of chatting in the grand scheme of things? Besides, there was food and it was a better meal than she'd had in a couple weeks.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:54 pm 

Seitouna returns the bow, of course, and smiles at her jest. "No honor is too much for a friend, Mari-san, and I hope that you and I can be friends. Do eat, please; I hope it is to your liking. And will you have tea or sake?"

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:26 pm 

"Tea, if it please you. I like a clear head, and sake... well, heh. I've learned that there are usually better uses for my money." She sounded a bit bemused as she said it. It wasn't that she didn't drink, though. She just needed to be in public with others around, or build up a bit of trust first. Tea was usually safer. Usually.

"And perhaps we will, though I confess the ronin's road is a lonely one. We wolves don't often form our own packs, and when we do, they're usually jackals to be honest."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:29 pm 

"I hope you like darker blends, then," replies Seitouna as he pours for them both. No ceremony, just tea.

"And I can imagine that life on the roads can be lonely. Despite metaphors, life on the waves themselves rarely is--or rarely if it hopes to be long enough to return."

He sees her hesitation, though, and says "You may, of course, choose the cup you prefer. And I shall be happy to drink first from either."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:44 pm 

She pulled out her own cup and smirked as she offered it to him to pour into. "A smart samurai always knows to bring their own cup, ne?" A little mirth. she knew damned well where that tradition came from, and it wasn't a place of honor, but it was a good policy. As she said it, she moved to put some rice into her bowl and pick at the food presented, reminding herself not to eat too eagerly.

Millet really wasn't as filling, but it got the job done. This was good.

"I've come to find, from time to time, that I prefer the solitude, if I were being brutally honest. The quiet, once you get used to it, is both freeing and helpful in keeping the perceptions sharp." She stopped to have a mouthful before swallowing. In the end? She was trusting enough to assume this was a friendly little business discussion. "But in truth? There are times like this? When being alone is dangerous, and when one must be careful of the offers they receive. I've received a few already."

And she was unsure of any of them. That was written all over her face. Some ronin weren't choosy about their employers. Some ronin were also dead in a ditch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm 

Seitouna nods and pours the tea. He also drinks from his cup first.

"I can imagine that the quiet helps. And I'll not pry into the offers, though I'd be happy to listen if you could use an ear."

And why not? It's a friendly enough thing to do, and we're all friends here, right?

He eats a bit. It is, as indicated, solid fare but not fancy.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 pm 

She nodded. Part of her had a feeling he was probably feeling out the movements of the others. Who would consider hiring a ronin, and a shugenja no less. Why? The kind of calculations that, in a city where blood had been spilled on the embassy steps of the Crane, any sensible samurai would make. As she took a sip, she considered.

"A Matsu and an Asako of note. You may have met them. The Matsu is ... hard to miss, as you might expect. They tend to like standing out and this Mogami is no exception. She .... seems to be endeavoring to draw together those inspired by her aspirations towards a greater destiny." She didn't bother to conceal in her tone that she had her doubts there. The girl was as interested in pillow books as she was Akodo's Leadership. "Her offer ... is considerable, but so too is the expectation. I am not truly bred to be a courtier, and to serve in a court as an advisor... I'm not sure if she misgauges my skills because I remember to bow properly and most ronin don't."

she snorted and smirked. "The Asako's offer was as much a suggestion as an offer. I think she's more worried about the refugees than the samurai, and... she has reason to be. I would never dare question the governor's ability, but ... I highly doubt the city was prepared to double in size overnight, with a siege on the way." She took a pickled radish and chewed it meaningfully. "You know who will suffer first when they come, and it is not the samurai. Yet... as noble as that is, I do not want to offend the governor by implying her abilities are any less than a proper governor. She is Lion, and Lion are ..."

Prone to cutting the heads off mouthy ronin.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:04 pm 

Seitouna does eat a bit as she expounds, nodding along with her words.

When she is done, he swallows, nodding again.

"I understand. And I've had the pleasure of meeting Matsu Mogami; she will be a difficult opponent to whomever faces her. But she also seemed to me to be remarkably open-minded"--and open-booked, he thinks--"so a polite decline would not be taken amiss, I think.

"As to the Asako, I do not know her, though I share her concern for the heimen. Tortoise, you know. But another Asako does seem--well, some fires take more of the air out of a room, you know.

"But to have two offers inside of a day seems quite the run of luck for you. Though I know it is not always easy to decide on a venture."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:30 pm 

She chuckled. "She's young. Not that I'm truly that old, but the road ages you quickly, I like to think. She's very ... youthful and full of hope." She almost sounded like she missed those days the way that she put it. "But I had wondered how she might take a refusal. Lion aren't used to them."

"As for the Asako, Tamaki is more Air than she is Fire. It is hard to miss her should you meet her." She didn't flat out say 'she's missing a leg' but ... well, it would be obvious if one saw her. "But I had heard rumor that there is a bright, fiery one here in town. Is it true that the Black Pheonix is here?" No, seriously, the guy was fucking famous. Even random ronin without heraldry training knew about him.

"I think it might be dangerous to stand in the wake of the sun. One might be burned to ash by its glare." Too glorious for her tastes, certainly. "You aren't wrong, though... two offers means that there are those interested. I can be careful in what I choose, where I choose. A rare thing for ronin."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 pm 

"The Black Phoenix is here, indeed. I would not be surprised if he is being entertained by Ikoma-chiji, herself."

He chuckles a bit.

"I don't suppose adding to your choices would help, would it?"

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:42 pm 

"It gives options certainly, and I'm not above hearing other opportunities out. It's also rather... refreshing to speak with the Kasuga. Playing too hard at the game of courtly niceties can be exhausting at times." It was literally awful. Kami preserve her from court. "Did you have any questions specifically of me, though? Assuming you are implying that you want to place an offer on the table?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:01 pm 

"If we're being direct, Mari-san--and you are right that it is refreshing to be so--then I might ask if you've been given bids or simply offers. But even if you have, I would wonder if a friend might be willing to pass information along. I can look many places Great Clan samurai won't or can't, but there are limits even to where I can go--and you do not share them.

"But, honestly, even if neither of those is the case, and we don't have any business to transact, it will be nice to have someone to talk to. And, frankly, if more than talk were a possibility, I'd not say no."

He takes a bite, chews and swallows. "If it's not, no worries at all."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:44 pm 

Oh this was blunt. Good. She settled back between bites and nodded. "Plain and simple, I was never a very 'good' samurai. Treating kami with respect is not the same thing as treating men with respect, and I've never been one to like the loopholes that honor relies on. Compassion... is fine. Saving face fine around those who care. The rest I could take or leave. If an honorable man and a dishonorable man die in a ditch, they're both still dead." She snorted and chuckled. "And as you said. Nobody notices the clanless. We come and go where we please. There are a few in town. I'm just the only shugenja I know of, and therefore people notice that. There are times when being ronin has its perks, for all the drawbacks."

She cocked her head. "So what would a 'friend' be watching out for?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:48 pm 

Guess I'm sleeping alone again tonight, he thinks. Ah, well.

"A couple things. If you happen to hear tell of a Kasuga Saito, I'd appreciate knowing it--largely because my kinsman has asked, and I'd like to keep him happy.

"I worry, though, that there've been some come into the city as might want to open it to what's outside. That'd be...other than I'd like to see. If you happen to hear anything in that regard, well...it'd be appreciated if I could hear of it.

"And, again, if nothing comes up with those, nothing comes up. Still be nice to have people to talk to. Gets wearying, eating alone all the damned time."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:01 am 

The open offer, as opposed to an attempt at seduction, did go a long way with her. But romance, even of the moment, always complicated things. She preferred her bed cold most of the time. Better for survivability.

She nodded, her eyes half closed, taking it in as she chewed on a piece of mushroom and thought about it. "I'll keep an eye out for any Kasuga... and if what Mogami mentioned in court is any indication, there's a very real possibility people may allow their ancestors into the ranks without knowing better. As much as I appreciate the devotion, there is a reason they were sent to Toshigoku, not Yomi... and most are not safe." A shake of her head.

"I am not truly decided between them, but that isn't my call. I will say that ... he has had his time on the throne. There is no shame in basking in that achievement and letting sleeping dogs lie to plead your case to Jizo if you think Emma-O was wrong."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:06 am 

Seitouna chuckles again.

"You are a delight to speak with, Mari-san! I sincerely hope this will not be the last chance I have to do so.

"And I appreciate you keeping eyes and ears open. If I hear of others looking for services, shall I send them your way?"

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:10 am 

"You may feel free to do so. But... other than these who favor the Steel Chrysanthemum, have you heard any other odd rumors?" Certainly, she would have been shocked with the sheer number of people here if there wasn't an issue or two. "It's hard to imagine that such saturation hasn't had an uptick in crime of a sort for one."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 am 

"Given other concerns, Mari-san, I've not looked into that matter particularly closely." He shrugs, takes another bite, and continues. "I have found that some places continue to operate much as might be otherwise expected, however. Which has been fortunate, and has eased my conscience somewhat.

"Though I would think that the level of crime would be lower in a place such as this, generally. The Lion are not known for leniency, after all."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:30 am 

"The Lion are known for the severity of their punishments, yes." That much was pretty obviously true. It ensured a generally docile populace, but... "When a time comes when the peasants truly believe that their samurai masters may not know what is happening beneath their noses, they will sometimes lash out with the full weight of their anger and repression."

She paused and frowned a bit, closing her eyes. "But I am not sure it is that bad yet."