It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:30 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concerns and Tribulations (D8, Early Afternoon)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:32 pm 

Moto Baatar wrote:
"I knew someone once, who ended up becoming a monk," Baatar explained, without waiting for an answer. "I was wondering if you would know her?"

"I am happy to answer questions...." He searches his memory fiercely, "Mooto-sama. Although I am primarily from a shrine that is out of the way of most of Rokugan, so cannot promise to have met them."

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:39 pm 

She... could kind of see what Horonigai was going for with this. The delivery though, fell short, and there were already bad tempers in the city judging from today's actions.

Taking a deep breath, Tsukimi rose to her feet, her voice rising slightly to adress the room.

"We must also practice what we preach, Matsu-sama," she said, bowing respectfully first to Erina. "There must be communication, there must be negotiation. But can you claim to put pride and ego aside to do what must be done, to ensure unity and the defense of this city... of this Empire? Of the Empress and the royal heir?"

"Because today there has been bloodshed within these city-walls. Blood spilt between those who should be standing together in this time. Blood spilt between family, because it would seem that the returned ancestors that we are fighting have already managed to slip into our ranks to attack us where we should be safe."

"I understand we are all tired, weary, and dishearted to have to face our ancestors - it's easy to lash out with anger and frustration at the world around us. But we cannot. We must not."

Now she looked to Iko. "I am... saddened, that one who bears the same name as I... is acting with such aggression towards the honored Yasuki-sama. And also showing now such a change of heart from what she had showed before. I cannot tell you to change your mind, Iko-sama, but I will ask you to stay your blade if you still intend on standing together with us all, everyone who lives in this city, be they local or refugee, to protect them from those outside who wish only to slaughter and destroy. For such is the nature of Toshigoku."

-----------------

D8 Influence (Imperialist). +1k1 Void. 3 raises. TN 30.: 7d10o10k4 31
+4 Imperialist points.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:51 pm 

Mari wrote:
"It's a sixth century treatise on the spawning habits of the carp in especially bad dry seasons. Goes into details about ways to improve spawning rates at fish hatcheries during lean years with alternate food sources and the impact." Her tone was positively deadpan. "it's riveting stuff. But I'm not sure this is the time or place to discuss this sort of thing. Perhaps we can meet over that dinner and discuss fish mating habits at that point, -sama? I... should probably introduce myself to a possible patron or two, and we can speak more later."

She didn't add 'we can speak more freely later,' but she figured that was obvious. She didn't even bother to conceal her distaste for the scroll she'd selected.

"Useful materials, if not always the most engaging," Seitouna agrees. "And its further applicability to other goods...and my kinsman, the esteemed Peafowl Supervisor, might find it of interest for his work in the Menagerie." Seitouna nods.

"It will be a pleasure to discuss related matters with you, Mari-san. And I would not prevent you finding other patronage--unless a more exclusive arrangement is made. But the seat remains open to you, if you would have it."

Then, as more discourse happens, Seitouna adds to his notes.
Quote:
Soon enough, though, the roaring of lions began to make itself heard, rattling through bamboo leaves. Another dragon's song seemed to join it, as well, bringing to mind fences, for some reason, even as mention was made of blood spilled in the city streets before any enemies had breached the gates.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:11 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"It will be a pleasure to discuss related matters with you, Mari-san. And I would not prevent you finding other patronage--unless a more exclusive arrangement is made. But the seat remains open to you, if you would have it."

"Of course, -sama. Do not let me interfere with your record keeping," she said, smiling and bowing. She'd remember the seat was there, just in case. An eye scanned around the room, still seeing one or two semi-familiar faces. But her eye had caught sight of one of the people present that had an interest, at least briefly.

Agasha Poemu wrote:
Poemu was more composed today than she had been the day before. Her words were a simple appeal to compassion, that a man who murdered could never see over an honorable Empire. Words spoken, she stepped aside to listen and entertain any approaching samurai.

She'd noticed the Agasha's speaking, and its focus on compassion. Admittedly, she was not exactly a paragon of virtue or bushido herself, but compassion was a thing that she appreciated perhaps more than the others. It also didn't hurt that most people who preached compassion had a tiny tendency to be a bit more approachable than others. There was a lot of deference being given the woman's station, so ... there might have been a bit of risk, but if the Agasha didn't want her to approach, it would be just as easy to back away, right? That was how these courtly debates were supposed to proceed... ugh, she really felt like a bumpkin right now.

Making her way around the back and drawing closer to Poemu, she bowed low. "Forgive me, Dragon-sama, if I'm intruding... but I noticed this seat wasn't taken. I wouldn't want to intrude if you were expecting a kin or compatriot."

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:12 pm 

Seitouna returns the bow. Courtesy matters, after all.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:16 pm 

Mari wrote:
She'd noticed the Agasha's speaking, and its focus on compassion. Admittedly, she was not exactly a paragon of virtue or bushido herself, but compassion was a thing that she appreciated perhaps more than the others. It also didn't hurt that most people who preached compassion had a tiny tendency to be a bit more approachable than others. There was a lot of deference being given the woman's station, so ... there might have been a bit of risk, but if the Agasha didn't want her to approach, it would be just as easy to back away, right? That was how these courtly debates were supposed to proceed... ugh, she really felt like a bumpkin right now.

Making her way around the back and drawing closer to Poemu, she bowed low. "Forgive me, Dragon-sama, if I'm intruding... but I noticed this seat wasn't taken. I wouldn't want to intrude if you were expecting a kin or compatriot."

The young Dragon looked up with a polite smile. As the bow, she stood carefully and gave a bow in return, not too low, but lower than Mari might have been used to. "Samurai-san, if there is a seat free by me, one is always welcome to take it if they ask. Please, join me." As she sat in seiza, her hands folded into her lap.

"This one is Agasha Poemu, ambassador to the Lion from my clan."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:28 pm 

Asakuro, dressed in a fine kimono depicting waves crashing against a series of rocks, stepped forward to lend a voice to the chatter, a fan that appeared like the feathers and plumage of a peafowl set down to his side momentarily as he spoke.

"I will leave it others to discuss the matters most spiritual in regards to the situation at hand. On the matter of the law, however, the esteemed Soshi-sama so succinctly and eloquently laid out the law of succession that I need not repeat it further. As there has been no word that the law as put down has been changed or rescinded in any such manner as to change the rites, the law, as Soshi-sama outlined, makes clear how the matter is and how the matter should be."

And with that short, sweet, and to-the-point commentary out of the way, he bowed his head before the assembled and them stepped away, lifting his fan to flutter it lightly as he wandered to the edge of the room and out of the way of the assembled persons. Perhaps there was some interesting reading material from the library of books to browse...

D8 Influence roll, Imperialist, 3 raises: success, 74 - +4 Imperial points!

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:30 pm 

Agasha Poemu wrote:
The young Dragon looked up with a polite smile. As the bow, she stood carefully and gave a bow in return, not too low, but lower than Mari might have been used to. "Samurai-san, if there is a seat free by me, one is always welcome to take it if they ask. Please, join me." As she sat in seiza, her hands folded into her lap.

"This one is Agasha Poemu, ambassador to the Lion from my clan."

She kept her voice at a lower pitch, so that the two of them would not interrupt any of the speakers, setting out a scroll so that she ostensibly had something else to do. It was a bit of a dry thing, but it had its uses right about now. Still, she hadn't quite mustered the courage to get up there and speak. However kind the dragon and tortoise were to a stranger and ronin, not everyone was so... egalitarian.

"You may call this humble wolf Mari, should you wish -sama," she said, nodding in deference. Fuck. Ambassador? Ok, she'd picked a bigger fish to talk to hadn't she? Oh well, it wasn't going badly yet at least. "Are you, then, long in the city of Niketake, or did you arrive with those from Toshi no Omoidasu?" Honestly? She couldn't remember whose hands that blasted city had been in lately. It changed hands almost as much as Niketake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:33 pm 

Ktamaru remained silent, watching, listening.

Still nothing to say to the court ,but as they heard others speak, lessons were learned.

Seppun speaking in minced words, Lion roaring back. Dragon meekly asking for others to think of innocent lives.

Not a stage show, but worse.

Still, something seemed familiar about the Seppun girl. Had Kitamaru met her at the capital, or somewhere else?

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:37 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
It seemed that the talk regarding the Steel Chrysanthemum went not, unwilling to be contained to one venue or occasion. Wasako was present for this debate, perhaps coinciding with one of her curious exploration of the city. She would definitely consider herself more of a contemplater than a debater but it was still would be fascinating to hear what sort of arguments are presented here. It was perhaps a curious point when noticed a few people, people she knew, threw in their support for the Steel Chrysanthemum. Has the wind changed or was she not paying attention until now?

(Please PM if approached, thank you!)

It was Touki's duty to be there, and so he was. Of course, it was also his duty to at least offer a few words in condemnation of the Steel Chrysanthemum, and he hadn't done that yet. Semi-covertly, Touki sighed. That certainly wasn't his strong point, but he did his duty no matter what it was.

Spotting a familiar face, he stepped a little closer to Wasako, enough that they might converse. "Mirumoto-sama." He said, his voice low. "How have you fared since we last met?" He asked.

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:44 pm 

Kodama wrote:
"I am happy to answer questions...." He searches his memory fiercely, "Mooto-sama. Although I am primarily from a shrine that is out of the way of most of Rokugan, so cannot promise to have met them."

"Moto Baatar," he said, by way of introduction. "The person I knew was once called Asako Yuki. I... I don't know what monk-name she would've taken. If you don't know her, it's all right; I suppose not all monks could possibly know each other.."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:49 pm 

Chihaya, already in a foul mood, came to court.

That Togashi Iko was now calling for support of the usurper shocked, and deeply angered her.

The world was gone mad.

From a place to the side, she watched the back and forth in silence, ruminating over her own thoughts, wondering if perhaps it was true - on a day like this, the idea that the empire deserved punishment was somewhat appealing.

Yet, she couldn't agree - that one should turn such dishonorable violence upon the innocent was not a valid choice - not now, not ever. These berserk were, perhaps, never so honorable as they pretended. Perhaps the Empire must learn that. If these armies were staffed so thoroughly by Matsu, perhaps the Matsu family had a flaw which required mending.

Now how to convince others of that fact?

As Horo gave her speech, Chihaya couldn't shake a sadness - the young miharu should know better.

Finally, Chihaya took a place on the open floor, stating calmly, "It seems there is some confusion as to the nature of those who approach this city. Let me tell you then, the story of the battle outside Toshi no Omoidasu."

Courtiers who hadn't managed to find excuses to leave gave one another panicked looks - the Sparrow was about to tell a story.

And so she did.

Suzume Chihaya wrote:

The battle began with a sound - a noise like thunder which rolled across the plains outside the city. In the midst of the storm, a new, unnatural thunder, rolled out. The sound of thousands of feet charging across the open ground, thousands of voices loud with gutteral and inhuman fury.

As they approached, the honorable samurai tasked with defense of the city began to fire upon them with arrows and the aid of the kami. There was no honor or courage among the attackers - they shoved their own soldiers in front of them to serve as living shields, making no effort to protect their comrades in the heat of battle. Dozens upon dozens fell, one after another, and the tide trampled them underfoot, uncaring.

At last, they crashed against the walls, and were repulsed. Then, as they attempted to regroup, a small team of samurai sallied forth to meet them on the field and rout them.

There, eight of these supposedly honorable ancestors did battle with the defenders of Toshi no Omoidosu, in full view of the gate, and the attacking army. Outnumbered two to one, Akodo Touki, Matsu Kogyoku, the abbess Kayou, and Suzume Chihaya took their places before the city gate. This fight I tell from the perspective of myself - Suzume Chihaya, as witness to events.

As her three companions charged into the enemy, Suzume Chihaya intercepted two of the attackers who tried to break past. In the initial moments of battle, mighty blows were exchanged, and Akodo Touki slew the first of the enemy with two masterful strokes of his no-dachi.

At that moment, the true nature of the enemy was revealed - one of these supposedly honorable Matsu ancestors declared himself the grandfather of Matsu Kogyoku, and then, with no hesitation, attempted to use her surprise as an opening to strike her down. An honorless ploy, from a man without any hint of sincerity or honor. That he would use the pretense of being an honored forebear is indication of the depths to which these enemies will sink.

The battle continued as the abbess Kayou weathered many blows, finally being driven to her knees by a multitude of strikes, but in her heroic endurance, she provided opportunity for Akodo Touki to strike down two more of the foe. Perhaps because of the underhanded nature of the foe, but Matsu Kogyoku was initially off balance, failing to overcome this pretender, claiming to be her kin - yet after an exchange of blows, she remained standing while he fell. Their strikes were not bloodless, and it is testament to her sense of duty that she remained standing amid such injury.

Suzume Chihaya, for her part, was spared any foolish trickery, and fought the clumsiest of the foe, for they failed to land any telling blows against her, and were steadily cut down, one after another, by her patient strikes. After one had fallen to her blade, the other turned his back on her, instead ambushing Akodo Touki from behind, and mortally wounding him. Such disgraceful conduct left the spirit open to attack, and Suzume Chihaya dealt a killing blow to end his honorless existence.

In mortal combat, Matsu Kogyoku, despite her wounds, was able to bring down another of the spirits which had suffered injury in battle against the Abbess Kayou, this spirit was now attempting to slay Matsu Kogyoku, in the same dishonorable manner as his compatriot - yet his aim was poor and she not only survived, but took his head as repayment.

The last of the foe, eager to draw blood from the heroic defenders who had already suffered much injury, charged toward the honorable Matsu Kogyoku, fully ignoring Suzume Chihaya, who removed his arms, and then his head, as punishment for his arrogance.

Seeing this, the enemy broke, fleeing the field in cowardly fashion, abandoning their wounded, their honor, and their duty to their lord all in one moment. At no time in this battle did these samurai display any tenant of bushido - not courage, not duty to their lord or clan, not sincerity, not courtesy, nor honesty, and certainly not compassion.

Her story finished, she added, perhaps too simply, "Those who would trust the future to these... they deserve the doom they invite upon themselves."

It was heartfelt, a sincere expression of the rage she felt at those who now betrayed the empire, from within and without, who seemed hell-bent on destroying the future of her children.

It was, unfortunately, not particularly persuasive, given how many courtiers had spaced out after her long tale, and were only now realizing she had finished, completely missing the punchline.

Moving back and yielding the floor, her thoughts chased one another, in turmoil.

(PM if approaching)

---------

Failed courtier roll: https://orokos.com/roll/800238 0 points.

Profile :: Theme

Last edited by Suzume Chihaya on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 pm 

Moto Baatar wrote:
"Moto Baatar," he said, by way of introduction. "The person I knew was once called Asako Yuki. I... I don't know what monk-name she would've taken. If you don't know her, it's all right; I suppose not all monks could possibly know each other.."

A shake of his head, "Apologies. We rarely, if ever, share our names from before we joined the Brotherhood. Do you know what order she might have joined? Where she joined? What she looks like? When she joined?"

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:58 pm 

Mari wrote:
She kept her voice at a lower pitch, so that the two of them would not interrupt any of the speakers, setting out a scroll so that she ostensibly had something else to do. It was a bit of a dry thing, but it had its uses right about now. Still, she hadn't quite mustered the courage to get up there and speak. However kind the dragon and tortoise were to a stranger and ronin, not everyone was so... egalitarian.

"You may call this humble wolf Mari, should you wish -sama," she said, nodding in deference. Fuck. Ambassador? Ok, she'd picked a bigger fish to talk to hadn't she? Oh well, it wasn't going badly yet at least. "Are you, then, long in the city of Niketake, or did you arrive with those from Toshi no Omoidasu?" Honestly? She couldn't remember whose hands that blasted city had been in lately. It changed hands almost as much as Niketake.

"I had just arrived here, and before that, I had just arrived in Toshi no Omoidoso from Morikage Toshi and winter court." She gave a faintly sad smile, sighing almost imperceptibly. Her smile warmed a bit as she looked to Mari again, though it remained faint. "It is an honor to meet you Mari-san, and you may certainly call this one Agasha."

She paused a moment, thoughtful. "I do not believe you have spoken on the issue at hand here yet, hai? I suppose if you had been here all along, or just arrived from other environs, this all would be somewhat new to you, hai?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:35 pm 

Agasha Poemu wrote:
"I had just arrived here, and before that, I had just arrived in Toshi no Omoidoso from Morikage Toshi and winter court." She gave a faintly sad smile, sighing almost imperceptibly. Her smile warmed a bit as she looked to Mari again, though it remained faint. "It is an honor to meet you Mari-san, and you may certainly call this one Agasha."

She paused a moment, thoughtful. "I do not believe you have spoken on the issue at hand here yet, hai? I suppose if you had been here all along, or just arrived from other environs, this all would be somewhat new to you, hai?"

The winter court... that meant that she'd been there, didn't it? It meant that she'd seen what happened, or at least been near at hand and somehow had managed to flee south, to reach this place. There were probably others here like her. Mari wondered what it must have felt like, to have seen those events. She wondered how she would have felt. She also didn't feel comfortable enough to ask such a thing openly, particularly not as the Suzume tried to tell their story, their emotions a roil that mired the sincerity of the words. Pity... it wasn't a terrible story...

"Thank you, Agasha-sama, it is a pleasure to meet you as well," she said, relaxing a fraction, though there was a bit of an edge of nerves to her in this place. There would always be. She might have shown the diction and poise of someone who knew how to technically behave in court, but it was painfully obvious that she spent little to no time actually in one.

"I haven't spoken yet. It feels... I am unsure if there is a place for the words of one who is beneath the social order, masterless and rudderless. We are the ones who, without a lord are called upon to live and to die in war whenever conscription is fitting. Tolerated, but not always valued. I am feeling whether it is desired to even hear the opinion of one like me."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:55 pm 

Akodo Touki wrote:
It was Touki's duty to be there, and so he was. Of course, it was also his duty to at least offer a few words in condemnation of the Steel Chrysanthemum, and he hadn't done that yet. Semi-covertly, Touki sighed. That certainly wasn't his strong point, but he did his duty no matter what it was.

Spotting a familiar face, he stepped a little closer to Wasako, enough that they might converse. "Mirumoto-sama." He said, his voice low. "How have you fared since we last met?" He asked.

Wasako passively paid attention to Suzume Chihaya's tale, who put a lot of effort into telling it but ultimately it seemed most people weren't impressed with it to give it the time of day. It certainly made Wasako realize that there was something needed about the presentation when making an argument. However, if a Sparrow's tale couldn't dent the opinions here then how hard would it be to make her own first voice heard? She would have to think of something greater than just one mere sentence...

She perked up when she saw Touki approached and bowed politely to greet him. "Good afternoon, Akodo-san. I've fared well...given the circumstances. It's good to see you again here, I hope you're well?"

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 pm 

Poemu shook her head softly, her own attention mostly on the ronin and not the storytelling. "Ronin-san, you are still a samurai, and even if you do not have a direct lord, you have the Emperor, and the Heavens to look over you. Your say isn't any less important than my own on this matter, and if you had a strong opinion, I would support you."

She paused. "...Would you like this one to speak on your behalf first perhaps? Otherwise, I have some tea coming that I could share to give you some peace of mind to think on the matter."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:03 pm 

Agasha Poemu wrote:
Poemu shook her head softly, her own attention mostly on the ronin and not the storytelling. "Ronin-san, you are still a samurai, and even if you do not have a direct lord, you have the Emperor, and the Heavens to look over you. Your say isn't any less important than my own on this matter, and if you had a strong opinion, I would support you."

She paused. "...Would you like this one to speak on your behalf first perhaps? Otherwise, I have some tea coming that I could share to give you some peace of mind to think on the matter."

There was, for a moment, a flicker of something unreadable when she spoke of what the ronin had. She looked distantly, into the middle of those speaking, but not really at any of them. You have the Emperor, the heavens... heh. Pretty words. I imagine she even thinks they're true. Hard to believe it on the road. she blinked, though, and glanced back.

"If -sama would like, perhaps we could speak a little, so that you may know my thoughts over tea before you vouch for me? I... think that would be fitting. It might drum up a little more courage too. What may I ask do you know of this Steel Chrysanthemum?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:05 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
She perked up when she saw Touki approached and bowed politely to greet him. "Good afternoon, Akodo-san. I've fared well...given the circumstances. It's good to see you again here, I hope you're well?"

Touki didn't quite grimace, more of just a brief stiffening of his features. "Given the circumstances. Indeed. Yes, given those same circumstances, I've also fared well."

He glanced casually about. "Speaking of circumstances, it seems to me that they've changed somewhat, since our arrival in Nikesake?" He inclined his head to her. "May I ask your thoughts on things, miss?"

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:12 pm 

Poemu nodded softly as tea was brought for them by a nervous servant, tea poured for both of them. She looked mildly troubled before she spoke. "I know he was known as Hantei the XVI. I know the Ikoma records say he was a competent Emperor in his time. And I know I cannot forgive him for murder."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next