It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:19 pm

Post subject: Re: [D7 - LM] To Pitch a Tent [Open to All]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:02 pm 

"The cautious route would be to leave myself... more or less available to the lion. It will afford me the opportunity to do just that at some point, I am sure," she said, chewing on a rice ball between moments of speaking. "My only concern is that... if it is the refugees that are in need, there may be a certain priority on the one who is coming to say hello very soon."

Wartime concerns trumped wounded peasants, as it were.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 am 

Tamaki nods. "I understand. Everyone who can help will likely be needed to help. All one can ask is that when you can help those of a lower station when can."

Background

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:33 am 

"I think... that if there is no battle to be joined in a day, I see no reason not to." And the well wishes of others would be worth its weight in gold, at the very least. A few would pay, but if they thought well of her, she'd be cared for in the long run, and that was more important.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:16 am 

"And is there a way this one can help?" Tamaki wished her husband was here. He would be shameless enough to just make an offer. Unfortunately, Tamaki had some self-respect.

Background

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:20 am 

"There is no need to trouble yourself, -sama, on my account. People will know to leave the tent of a ronin be, and I will be out and about over the next few days, seeking work and looking out for folks. It should be fine. I do appreciate the thought." It was a bit nosy, but she wasn't about to turn down friendly concern.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:30 am 

"It would alleviate some concern if I knew I could help in some small way, even if that was simply to help you." Tamaki was mildly impressed. At least this ronin had some manners.

Background

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:33 pm 

Manners made for longer lives when it came to being a ronin, at least in her opinion. She reached up and considered as she tapped her chin. "The prayer conjures enough food for three of us for a day. Perhaps -sama would wish to help me share the bounty with others? I am not especially interested in credit."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:10 am 

Tamaki was surprised. A ronin not interested in money? Even if not greedy, well, she doesn't look like she can afford to turn down honorable coin. "I may be able to help the physical act of distributing them. But the water kami, or any kami other than air, barely listen to me."

She looks at her in silence for what feels like a long time. She is studying her. Like she was some sort of puzzle to figure out. Then she nods, mostly to herself, and fishes out a small hand mirror bearing the Asako Mon. "You do your kind honor. I have met ronin before but they have been.... well, good and bad, but none with such simplistic honor humility as yourself." She hands the mirror. "Please take it so that should you need be reminded of what honor looks like."

Background

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:19 am 

It helped a lot when someone could conjure their own lunch, though that wasn't something she wanted to say. Besides, even if she wasn't that honorable, putting on a veneer of at least acceptable respectability did help. A sign of the fact that she really wasn't that good at this sort of thing came in how her hand did start to reach out for the mirror at first before pausing. It was like muscle memory coming back to her and she stilled her hand, putting it back into her lap.

Refuse twice. Always refuse twice. She heard her mother's voice. "I couldn't accept such a lovely piece, Asako-sama. I am not really of that much significance. My humility is just recognition that all who serve the kami must be humble or risk their just ire." She sounded a bit rote when she said it, but at least he remembered.

...there was a very good chance that she'd been trained in a proper household at some point in her life. Ronin who just traveled the road didn't remember etiquette this often.

( Etiquette 17 - Remember your mother's lessons, Mari.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:33 am 

Tamaki didn't notice her reach for it all. So, she offered it again. "Insignificant compared to the kami, yes. So are we all. But that does not mean one is not worthy of her fellow mortals." Idlly, Tamaki considered such politeness. Was she a born ronin? Or a member of a Clan got thrown out? Did it matter? She did remind Tamaki herself to be humble. For that, she won respect.

Background

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:49 am 

What she'd been, she kept to herself. It was hard to break old habits, and in a way she refused. She'd never been a good girl, so a lot of the ronin life was easy for her, almost second nature really. Bushido had always been a constraining thing. But etiquette like this wasn't really difficult or demanding, and it kept the strict ones like lion from getting in her face...

She dipped her head again, moving into the natural formalities. "Asako-sama is wise. We are mortals who live in a world of impermanence while the kami and spirits of the land exist far before and after our meager comings and going. But I would not wish put such a thing as might carry its own spirit through the rigors of the open road unduly, such a fine gift as it is."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:56 am 

"It would only be fulfilling its purpose. I have kept it close to me through travels. I have kept it close when I studied near Kyuden Asako. However fine it looks, it was made for the road." Tamaki offers it a third time.

Background

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:10 am 

Finally, her hands reached out to take the mirror from the Asako's hands, breathing a small sigh of relief as she did so. "Then it will see travels along many roads with me as well, and I fully intend to give it all of the care that it deserves. I thank you, Asako-sama, for your consideration of a humble wolf." She did smile a little afterwards, wrapping it in cloth and putting it aside for safe keeping. Usually she received gold, so that was kind of nice. Honestly, a ronin didn't have much room for possessions on the road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:30 am 

"You are welcome." After she puts it away, Tamaki decides to inquire about the ronin further. "Do you believe you will find yourself in combat with the spirits? Or will you stay behind the lines to aid the war effort?"

Background

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:39 am 

Hmmm. Now that is a question. She frowned for a moment and then shrugged. "In truth? Like any good ronin, I have trained to defend myself with blade if need be, and Healing magic is not the only magic I know. Osano Wo's rage can be a sight to behold, especially in a storm such as this," she said, gesturing to the sky. "I suspect if I am brought into the fold, I would be placed with the reserves. Away from the front line, but not so defended as the clan shugenja."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:05 am 

Tamaki nods as if that's what she expected. "Well, please, let me tell you some of what you may face.

"The spirits of Toshigoku are spirits of slaughter. They will try to inflict maximum carnage. But they will still have their cunning. Most will likely not have any sense of self-preservation or honor. They were samurai who were cast into one of the Realms of Sin. Remember that when you fight them."

Background

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:23 am 

"Yes. They are souls condemned for their bloodletting to stand forever in battle," she said quietly. There was something about the way that she said it that was ... distant. She wasn't afraid. Would she be in battle? Open to discussion. Toshigoku spirits were unnerving, terrible things. "They are condemned for their acts, and now they are what they are. I understand very well, -sama. I am not under any illusions."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:40 am 

Tamaki nods. "Good. Some seem to believe that because Toshigoku is not as jealous as Jigoku, it is somehow less dangerous." Tamaki frowns. Obviously, she disagrees.

Background

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:46 am 

"Jigoku is more sinister, more inescapable when its claws are in you, and in the long run is the more dangerous force, for Toshigoku has no wish to claim us all. It is ... simply serving a function, performing the will of heaven. They are where their deeds place them. So, in that sense, Hell is worse." A firm shake of her head. "But... Toshigoku is no less deadly in a fight. It may even be more dangerous, say,"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:06 am 

"You are mostly right. I would not say that Toshigoku has no desire to claim us. I was there when the portal ripped into Kyuden Asako. I felt it's awe and power. It was...." Tamaki looks rapturous for a brief moment before returning to normal.

"It was something." Tamaki takes back her control. "It may only see us as fodder for the slaughter, but I have no doubt that it wants us. Of course, Jigoku is more insidious and more jealous. But after witnessing that, I cannot say it Toshigoku does not want us."

Background