It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Place to Rest (Day 7, Late Eve)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:07 am 

Maiya let out a pleased noise herself as she finished her cup. For a moment she looked troubled as Mogami filled her own cup. She had hoped to at least make herself useful by doing that.

"Ano, I can only do armour repair. If I see some armour I can inspect it to figure out how it is supposed to protect someone and what is broken. I can then try to patch it up or make replacement parts. I have not tried to enhance armour, or to make a new set. My family does that and they are very good at it. I lack their schooling so I would only waste the metal. I am not talented." She dips her head apologetically before reaching for something new to nibble on. Judging from the empty serving bottle of sake that was still on the table she had been drinking for a little while, but she sounded remarkably sober in her tone and her family expression was alert. On the other hand her words were quite simple.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:36 am 

"Kampai!" Osamu joined in the toast, as he let the Lion lead the conversation, his player being far too busy at work for it to be otherwise.

"Well, that's still a skill many don't have, so its something to be proud of nonetheless." He commented as he sat his cup back on the table. "One that's likely to prove quite useful in the coming days as well."

Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 2.0 | Honor: What is Expected

Carries: Robes, Scroll Satchel, Wakizahi, chopsticks, odd and ends

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 am 

"Being useful is good. If you're not useful you're wasting supplies and someone important will tell you off. It's not nice." Maiya remarks with the seriousness of someone who had been in that predicament a few times. Not nice or pleasant at all.

With some care she reached out for the sake bottle and topped up Osamu's cup. "Please excuse me."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:12 am 

"What brought you so far north? We don't see many guests from your clan here often"

Mogami sits back and gets comfortable.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:17 am 

"My sister married a Shimizu. She is a Lion now. There was a big wedding just a week ago." Maiya explains as she tops up her own cup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:50 am 

Osamu offered the crab woman a polite nod of thanks as she refilled his cup. "You did mention you were here for a wedding." Osamu mused as he picked his glass back up.

"I hope the match between your sister and your new husband was a happy one though."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:00 am 

On this she had a strong opinion. "Me too. He smiled a lot so other Crab guests said that was a good sign. My sister thought it was a good match and she sounded pleased. They are both courtiers. She looked really pretty in her wedding kimono. He smiled a lot at that too. Even some of his family did. The other Lion were much more quiet." She glanced to Mogami. "There was a Matsu there but I didn't get to speak to her. She looked very serious. However, she gave my sister a big now and praised her. That was nice."

After another glug of sake she set her cup down and brushed her hands together. "Sorry. I am talking too much. My sensei said I should shut up more."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:35 am 

"That is a joyous occasion, you should be talking about it Kaiu-san. We are here for company and drinks, no? Please, I do not mind you speaking at all. It isn't too much."

She takes the last pull from her cup and sets it in front of her.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 am 

"H-hai. I will do my best Matsu-sama." Maiya instinctively responded with deference.

Like she had for Osamu she reached out to top up the Lion's cup.

"Both my elder sisters are married now. Kana-onee-sama will continue the family and Eri-chan is now a Lion. I hope she writes. We may not be family anymore, but she is still my sister." The bushi comments thoughtfully only to blink and sigh deeply. "That means I am next." She set her gaze on the hospitable samurai and studied them.

"Is Osamu-sama or Matsu-sama married?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:49 am 

Mogami accepts the refill gladly and takes a sip from the cup.

"That is exciting! Do you have any prospects? I myself am not married. I first had a year to sort things out and see the lands, then a year with the army, and now that I am...well, was...settled at my station, my family was going to begin trying to find a match this coming winter."

She frowns and sighs.

"Alas, I have not heard or seen from either of my parents, both of which who were in Morikage Toshi when the attacks first began. I would assume a great General would have made it to Toshi no Omoidoso if he had lived, but I think thy have both been cut down by the usurpers madmen. So....who knows what will happen now. I suppose I am the head of my estate now and would need to either arange something myself, or request the Matsu Daimyo do so."

With that, she drains the cup completely and sets it down again.

----
Drink total: 3
Stamina: 3.
Every drink over stamina=Stamina roll, TN drinks*5
Failed roll=Drunk level +1
Drunk level > Stamina, any further roll if failed by more than 10, character passes out

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:19 am 

Mogami's grim news wasn't exactly ideal for festivities, but it wasn't as of Maiya wasn't used to sorrow or hearing about dead kin. She felt some empathy for the Lion as she listened.

"I'm sorry if that is how it is. I hope your daimyo can find you a good match. Someone that would bring further glory to your family." Maiya intoned respectfully.

Not knowing the Lion's limits she topped up the woman's cup as before. She also filled her own for a quick sip.

"My father hasn't mentioned anything. I don't think I have prospects. I will probably be married at some point. I don't mind it. I am just not sure how I will deal with the change. Being married seems very restrictive. Crab don't permit heavily pregnant women to fight and I don't want to be bossed around the home or have to marry someone strange." Like a Kuni. "I can't cook or do anything arty so..." She shrugged. Basically she wouldn't exactly make a great Doji bride.

"I like traveling. Maybe someone who travels. It's nice to dream a bit, ne?"

She rubbed her chin as she looked at Osamu a little more closely. He probably had really good prospects she decided. He had fine clothes, a handsome face and he was well spoken.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:27 am 

"I am certain you can find someone, nodoka are very good at their jobs."

Mogami takes another sip, slowing down a little, leaving the cup half full.

"I would certainly make sure you tell of of your desires to them when your parents begin the arrangements. However, many of your statements shouldn't make a difference, Kaui-san. I was not raised by my parents for example, my father had armies to lead, and my mother had to fight in said armies. I imagine the Crab have caretakers, so once you are deemed healthy from the birth, you could continue your duties on the wall"

Another sip, leaving 1/4th of the cup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:08 am 

Picking up his cup Osamu took a sip as the women started up the chat about marriage. The Kaiu received a smile as she looked in his direction though maybe he should start fearing for his bachelorhood? Unlikely. "Like you ladies I'm unattached myself, though the mantis aren't as demanding of marriage as some of the other clans. I have a bit of freedom in finding a bride, if I find someone I like and an agreement can be made between our clans, well the Mantis will likely accept it."

"I suppose if I wait too long a Nodoka might become involved though, and I can't say I have been really looking." He finished with a chuckle.

"Though Matsu-sama is right about talking to your parents, It won't hurt and in all likelihood it might help."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:00 pm 

"Matsu-sama likely has the right of it, hai." She comments a moment before having a good helping of her sake.

Thankfully Osamu didn't have to fear for his bachelorhood right now; they'd only just met, and Maiya wasn't the type to be quickly smitten with someone. If anything she was simply a little envious of what she imagined Osamu's prospects to be like.

Finding someone you like? And agreement between clans? That all made it sound like the Mantis married outside the Clan often... and for love? How strange. Then again, he had chuckled and he sounded happy about it. Maybe it was nice?

"I'm sure it will come up when I return home. My father will bring it up. Or write to me. Maybe both."

She rolled the sake around in her cup.

"It's good the Emperor was married and has a child. The Seppun will need to protect them both. All this would be even worse if there was no Imperial heir, ne?" While she only had a basic understanding of politics and Imperial responsibilities, there wasn't a single samurai that didn't know the importance of having children.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:21 pm 

"Indeed, I imagine we would be in for an even greater headache if there was no Crown Prince. I don't know what happens in that case, do the Heavens then give their favor to his eldest sibling? What if he has none?"

Mogami drinks the rest of her sake and sets the cup down in front of her.

"It seems like it would be quite a mess.

----
Drink total: 4
Stamina: 3.
Every drink over stamina=Stamina roll, TN drinks*5
Failed roll=Drunk level +1
Drunk level > Stamina, any further roll if failed by more than 10, character passes out

Roll 1: Roll: 14. Drunk Level +1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:52 pm 

"Well, I wish good luck with that, Kaiu-sama." Osamu personally planned to pay the parents of whomever he decided to marry a fat stack of koku to have her marry into the Mantis. Not that he'd ever say that out loud. Money did talk though, even in marriage arrangements.

"I'm sure it will be plenty of a mess anyways." Osamu offered after another sip of his sake, he wasnt drinking nearly as fast as the ladies it seemed. "The clans will likely want to have a word about who serves as regent after all."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:12 pm 

Just dipping her head in thanks at Osamu's kind words the Crab picked up her chopsticks again to have more of the snacks on offer. There was still some tempura left, if anyone wanted to have some of that; it didn't look like she'd mind.

Making a few murmurs of agreement in regards to the current topic, Maiya quietly ate while listening to the back and forth. The Clans wanted to have some input into a regent made sense. However, to her it was all a big nebulous blob as far as specifics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 pm 

"There should be no debate in that either! The Empress is regent until the Emperor comes of age. "

Mogami goes to take a sip from her sake cup and when she picks it up, realizes it is empty and sets it back down.

"Though, if today was any example, I doubt the Crane would be happy with that. I'm sure they will come up with some argument. Already they are shutting the Lion out of their embassy to hold unofficial court."

She scowls a little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:40 pm 

Pausing her eating Maiya topped up the Lion's cup. However, even she was noticing how fast the woman was going.

"You are quite thirsty Matsu-sama." She had learned this one from a courtier once. Maybe Mogami would get the hint?

One thing confused her however. "If a Clan was being like that in Crab lands the local Lord would probably revoke their Embassy rights. It's still land under your control, desho?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:01 pm 

"Quite thirsty. I find I can't seem to quench it tonight."

She takes another sip with a nod of thanks to Maiya

"They are indeed, though embassies are unique things. Inside them, each clan has authority as they need outside of the cities control. At least, as far as I understand it. I do agree that there should probably be some measure of rebuke, though I leave that up to the governor to decide."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next