It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:31 pm

Post subject: [D7-LM] Lion has wares, pt. 2 [expecting]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 am 

Kanade had stayed, whether Erina could or not, keeping an eye on the merchant. She waited patiently as the other animals were carted off to the warehouse she had arranged and the various recipients til only the merchant, herself and the lion remained. As well as her dogs, of course.

(Ooc: erina might stay too, idk)

Carries: wakizashi, abacus, coin purse and satchel

Post subject: Re: [D7-LM] Lion has wares, pt. 2 [expecting]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:42 am 

Kōgyoku would arrive finally. Seeing that it was a Mantis that had made a call she turned wary, having very mixed experience with Mantis observance of the law in the past. Still, she was always keen on seeing the honourable individual beyond the mon, so she didn't show any outright hostility, but the regular courtesy of inclining her head.

In addition, her mind screamed and her body was in pain for reasons she wouldn't disclose; nor could she let it affect her duty. "What's the matter here, Mantis-san?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:43 am 

Kanade nodded her head to the now former animal merchant. "I was look for a new dog to purchase." She hoped the Matsu had noticed the carp above her heart. Otherwise this might be interesting.

"The animals in here appeared healthy enough... at first glance. However, that lioness there threw me a bit. One Matsu Erina-san I have met with on a few occasions had been strolling through the district, perhaps looking for food. Her lions apparently sensed an issue and she appeared.

We investigated the condition of the animals, mostly out of concern. We came to the conclusion the lioness is ill. All that had been here had been half-starved and..." as she shot a look at the heimin merchant, "mistreated."

"I decided to do what I could by purchasing all that were housed here, most animals have been stored in a warehouse temporarily, and are being cared for at the moment I assure you. Two cats, and a peacock have been transferred to acquaintances of mine after some healing. An Asako Kashiwagi, an Ikoma Homura and a Kasuga Asakuro who maintains the menagerie, respectively. I figured they would be better suited to their care."

"That brings me to why I was sent for you. Erina-san sent me for you, her and I both having doubts about this merchant's acquisition of a lioness. Especially considering he was in a rush to clear out, and was requesting further payment in the future, proclaiming, 'with the way of things he might need more.' I did give him nine koku. That way he cannot back out on a deal. I also left Erina-san to keep an eye on him while I left."

She paused, "Erina-san took no part in the dealings of the coin, just supervision of the lion. Please investigate these matters, Matsu-sama." A hint of a plea slipped through her tone, though she quickly adjusted herself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm 

Erina has been doing her best to bide time. The first round of animals had been taken away, but that left the lioness. She, and well, Kamu and Ore had a vested interest in how that one's fate would play out, and she wouldn't put it past the man to bolt with the money and the cat if she turned her back.

Oh please, let him try.

The two warcats would be a deterrent to that...but perhaps he didn't know that Erina was almost as fast.

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:14 pm 

The merchant is there, fairly annoyed at having been kept so long after having sold everything.

--------------------------------------Assistant GM--------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:29 pm 

"I do wonder what is taking them..." Erina mutters, beginning to tap her foot impatiently.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:02 am 

Kōgyoku listened to the whole story but for now refused to comment. She approached the merchant and looked at him sternly.

"I am Matsu Kōgyoku, and I will investigate your proceedings now. I seek answers on how you have acquired a lioness and whether you have mistreated her in any way. Give me your name and provide a truthful testimony on the issue." She folded her hands by joining sleeves but something twitched in her face when she was looking at the merchant as if she was withholding a course of action of a different kind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:10 am 

"Mah name's Eiji, magistrate. Dun understan why sellin' aneemals issa crime." He looks scared.

"I buy the lion from a trappah, Kiyoshi. Din't see no harm in it. Dun understan why these samurai kept me here an' got you. I buy; I sell."

He looks nervously to the three women.

--------------------------------------Assistant GM--------------------------------------

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:45 am 

"I see you need help in recalling events. When has the lioness been acquired from the trapper?" The magistrate didn't budge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:57 am 

"Coupla weeks? Like two and part."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:07 am 

Kanade stood by and listened. This was a matter for the Lion. However, internally she felt sickened by this man. She had dealt with merchants of all types before.

Hadena sat close to Kanade, leaning into her legs. She seemed to sense her Mistress's inner turmoil and decided to comfort her silently. In turn Kanade felt a bit of gratitude to the warm pressure.

Jiro stood further ahead, mimicking a pose of the warcats. Fully alert, tail perhaps a meter in front of his owner. Silent, but watching.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:10 am 

"Is it the first time you've acquired a lion from this Kiyoshi with the intent of selling it away?" The magistrate kept her cool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:59 pm 

"I have significant worries about the Lion's health too." Erina shakes her head. "I don't know if they have been abused, but I think that whether it be by this merchant or the trapper he claims to have bought from, they appear to have long term recovery necessary."

Erina bows to the magistrate. "With your permission, I would like to examine and help with the Lion's recovery. However, it is the property of Kanade-san, without whom we would not have discovered it, nor had a way to help."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:06 pm 

Kanade spoke to the magistrate. "I purchased the lioness with the mind to return her to the Lion where she belongs. I had planned to gift her Erina-san, Matsu-sama. However, if you feel other arrangements are best made it is for you to say."

She paused, "this one does not have the knowledge or skill to care for a great cat and to see her in such poor condition is a shame."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:45 pm 

"A gift?" The wheels in Erina's head begin to turn.

"I couldn't possibly accept, you have already given so much to do the right thing."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 pm 

"A lioness's place is beside a beastmaster. You have excellent handling skills and one like this will need extra care." Kanade, being born Crab loathed this game. "It would be a great honor to me to have been of aid to the Lion "

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:43 pm 

"Even if they are, they are skills that could not have been of any use without yours. And then there is the matter of the investigation that Matsu-san needs to do, in case this lion was indeed taken from someone from ill means. I couldn't possibly..."

In reality, Erina was already smiling, a thought occurring to her.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:57 pm 

"On the matters of investigation, that should be an internal affair of the Lion. All the more reason for you to have her transferred to your ownership." She paused, "I want all the animals acquired to have the best care I can arrange for them. I really do believe you are the best candidate."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm 

Erina offers a bit of a dramatic pause.

"Well, I do suppose that I am the best qualified to treat and care for this lioness. I accept. I deeply thank you for your gift, and I hope that this can continue to tie our clans together." Erina offers a bow.

"Furthermore, I think that it would be remiss of me to ignore that good deed that you have performed. Assuming that there is no claim on ownership that takes her away from me, and if the Heavens smile upon us to have her bear a litter, I believe that you should be rewarded with a cub."

Erina smiles a little. "There may be resistance to that, but there is much good to be had here from this strange circumstance, and I intend to convince any who oppose of my idea of its merits."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:30 pm 

"We shall stay in correspondence. I would like to hear of her continued progress. As for the manner of a cub, that is a matter for discussion in different places." She inclined her head toward the proceedings, but when she thought she was able she would allow a small smile to Erina. Kanade was really starting to become fond of her.