It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:52 pm

Post subject: [D7 - LM] To Pitch a Tent [Open to All]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 am 

Scads of peasants and refugees were choking the streets. Finding space was not easy, no matter if you were technically a samurai. When she'd come here, Mari'd been looking for work, nothing more. You couldn't beat a town like Nikesake if you were looking for a job servicing a caravan or for people who needed inexpensive healing. There was always someone passing through. But this? This was well beyond what she'd expected.

Still, the ronin managed to get a small space set aside and started to work on her tent stakes. There were makeshift shelters everywhere, so nobody was going to care that much about one more. Most folks barely noticed her anyway. Still, she sighed as she worked, grunting under her breath and glancing around with a curious gaze from time to time. The fighting across the mountains hadn't quite fully gotten wind in town. The news was just starting to buzz, and she was definitely keeping an eye out.

Maybe there'd be opportunity?

Description, Character Image

Post subject: Re: [D7 - LM] To Pitch a Tent [Open to All]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:45 am 

Tamaki had spent the morning at the forge. It did not go well. She sees Mari and nods to Yojimbo. "Go help her."

Yojimbo, after giving Tamaki a questioning look and once again damning his vow of silencel goes over to Mari, gives her nod, and motions for her to hand him a stake or two so he can help.

Background

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:51 am 

Mari blinked in legitimate surprise when Hitoshi approached her. Regardless of standing, the man still wore mons of his clan, and usually you didn't expect to see a samurai of proper lineage give a ronin the time of day, much less... She promptly bowed low at his approach and, when she rose she looked at him curiously. Oh, he was being quiet for some reason. Well, that was his prerogative.

She reached for the stakes pointed at and nodded. "Of course, O-Samurai-sama," she said carefully, mindful of the difference of station while she continued her work. "You don't have bother with me... but thank you."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 am 

He went about the business of staking it when Tamaki approached, giving the ronin a nod. "Hello, I am Asako Tamaki. You met Yojimbo."

Background

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:07 am 

She was obviously a very small bit taken aback by the fact that he didn't seem to be named. It wasn't something that she meant to bring up, but it definitely was worth remembering. Bowing to the Asako, she glanced back and nodded once. "I... appreciate the assistance, Asako-sama. I am Mari. I recently arrived in town. It seems quite ... busy at the moment." Which was putting it mildly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:35 am 

Tamaki was a disappointed. She was not a Faizuz. Not that she expect a random ronin to be one. But you never know. "Hai. I think many of us are new arrivals." She look at the woman curiously wondering is she knew why it was busy. "Did you arrive from Toshi no Omoidoso?"

Background

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:57 pm 

Sadly, in the end, only Faizuz could be Faizuz. Some things were a one of a kind prize. Mari, for her part, was a rather plain looking woman who seemed to be keeping her mannerisms carefully in check. Never hurt to be cautious around the regular samurai until you knew for certain where you stood. It was just good sense.

Tipping her straw hat to get a better look at the woman, she happened to glance down and ... that was odd. Did she only see one tabi sock? No, no, don't make notice of it. That wouldn't have been proper. She didn't seem in discomfort after all. "From Phoenix Lands? Oh, no Asako-sama, I came this way from the West, by way of Shiro Akodo most recently, seeking purpose." Which was code for 'there was no work at the castle of the swift sword so I went where they said trouble was brewing.'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 am 

Tamaki ponders while Yojimbo finishes the tent.

"Lion lands now." It would probably sound oddly prideful if one didn't know Tamaki was part of the delegation that traded it for peace or her general pettiness towards the Crane at the time. "And what purpose do you seek?" Mari was probably just a ronin of no particular importance. Whether fate brought her here or she came her because of the incoming war, well, she might be minorly useful.

Background

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:47 am 

She settled back onto a stump after brushing it clear of detritus. The tent was set up to keep the rain out as best as possible, but this was going to be a damp stay. Still, a room at the inn was pricey, not to mention there would be the difficulty of even finding one. This was much simpler. Seeing that it was mostly up, she gave the yojimbo a nod of thanks and offered him a smile.

"Yes. A lion governor now." How often had this town changed hands in history? Perfect for those seeking work. "I wish I could say that I was different from most ronin, but I follow the dictates of my belly, -sama. I am a healer and priestess of the earth and water. They are skills I find are in demand wherever there are many about... though I confess, this was more than I had been told to expect. I have heard rumors... Would you be willing to catch a recent arrival up?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:56 am 

A healer. Tamaki smiled. Though that would have to wait. The ronin should know what is going on. "The returned Steel Chrysanthemum murdered the Emperor at Winter Court after demanding that he surrender the Throne to him. Now, the spirits from Toshigoku march under the banner of Steel Chrysanthemum. Toshi no Omoidoso has probably fallen by now. And we are in the path between him and the capital where our Emperor sleeps in his crib." Gentleness is not Tamaki's strong suit.

Background

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 am 

"Ah... thank you -sama, for being to the point." She snorted and laughed, shaking her head. It wasn't a funny subject, but she had to find some humor in her lot in life. "Well, it would seem that I have found myself ample work to do, if any local lord would have my services. Where there is war, there will always be wolves to bay for the scraps and fight. And there will always be blood shed that demands the attention of a healer." She shook her head.

"I apologize, -sama. I should not laugh at the plight of the empire. It is... just far above the right of the clanless to speak. We march where we are told. We serve, and by some fortune we are fed and survive. If lucky? We grow stronger." She was more than a little jaded, it seemed. It wasn't even remotely hidden. "I imagine there is one who seeks to defy this Iron Chrysanthemum?"

Had she heard of them? Everyone had. But they were mountains above her world, her standing. And to have the spirits of that dreadful realm beside them? A little above their pay grade.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:13 am 

Tamaki ignored the laughter. She thinks she would have a similar feeling if she was a ronin who wandered in such events. "I believe the Imperial Legions are marshalling. But it is all so recent, I haven't heard of word about others though I would hope that the Clans would join together with such a threat." Mari seems like one who appreciates bluntness. Something Tamaki likes having to often speak in Court.

"I could help keep one of the clanless fed. At least, if she were willing to aid the Empire in a small way."

Background

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:17 am 

Hmmm. She considered for a moment and reached for her satchel. "I think it is I who am in your debt today, though I am certainly looking for ways to serve while I am here. Much as I say it is my belly that guides me, that is not entirely true. Would you permit me a small prayer to have an opportunity to thank the two of you for the help today? I think Inari would approve." she left that statement to hover in the air, figuring that it might be a good indication of what spell she was suggesting. The water kami were so much more placid today, and it felt like a good time to take advantage of their peacefulness, unlike so many other times.

"We can speak of such things over a bowl of rice, yes?" What better way to speak of such things, she thought to herself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:21 am 

Tamaki nods and allows the ronin to do as she will. his would be her first time hiring such. Even if it was a small task. She kind of wished her husband was here. He was good with such people. No. He better in his homelands with their children.

Background

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:29 am 

She unrolled the scroll of a prayer to the fortune of rice. As she began the invocation, taking her time to do it properly and add a few more flourishes in the hopes that Inari could at least grant a little nori and sesame to go with the humble tea that was being conjured. Rice was fine, but it never hurt if there was a little something to it.

Of course, even with the spirits so placated and under control, it was a little bit of a close matter of concentration. There was so much elemental instability in the last year, was there not? Still, it went off without a hitch in the end and there were a few rice balls with a bit of seaweed at the base and tea. Nothing fancy, but enough for the three of them with a little extra.

"Thank you for the chance, -sama. If you don't mind, I am quite certain there's a bit too much here. I will probably give the extra to some of the refugees." No point holding onto it. Good will with the peasants could go a long way to nobody griping about where she put her tent.

(Spellcasting - Inari's Blessing (1 Raise for Quality))

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 am 

Tamaki was pleased. "You did well." No doubt trying harder because Tamaki was here. But she could hardly blame the ronin for trying to impress. "Giving to the refugees sounds like a good idea."

After the ceremonial blessings of the meal, Tamaki began to eat. After the forge, she was a bit hungrier than she thought. But still she made sure to remain being proper. No matter how much she felt like shoving the rice in mouth. "I do have concerns. With this many peasants, during a war, there will be burden the Lion resources. If there was one watching out for them, such as a priestess and healer might be able to do, well, that can earn a bit favor and help keep one fed and survive."

Tamaki thought Tenshin would be laughing at her with her clumsiness. But just because she was married to a Mantis didn't mean she was one.

Background

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:03 am 

"A... careful thing," she said, admitting it and gesturing towards some of the lean-tos and tents that refugees had been setting up nearby. So many people. She imagined that there would be some who would die in all this fighting and none would even know their names, much less who would mourn them. Human suffering, as far as the eye could see.

"There will be need, and just by serving them, I don't doubt a few would give me a meal, fill my belly for as long as I was here. It wouldn't be so bad. I've gotten by on such before..." But as she said it, her gaze turned, regarding the shiro in the distance. "But I wish to be careful. I do not wish to imply that the governor is incapable of handling so many. It is a ... fine line."

She wouldn't dare say that, but there was no way in jigoku or tengoku that the governor could handle this many refugees for long, even if saying so would be a slight to the Lion's honor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:16 am 

"Of course, not. Is Compassion not a samurai tenant?" Tamaki frowns. Sure, the Lion are unlikely to kill Phoenix for helping the peasantry, but a ronin? Would such be considered an insult. "But I can see your concern. I admit it is not something I have considered." The Phoenix would at worst be upset, but the ronin would most likely be chased away at worst. The Lion can be a bit more prickly where their honor is concerned.

Background

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:29 am 

"Ah, honor. Quite the double edged sword. Compassion on the one hand, but Honor on the other," she said, chuckling a little. "Well, I think helping a few peasants among so many who aren't the charges of the governor probably won't cause too much of a stink. I just don't want to give the wrong impressions. Lions are ... very strict usually, are they not?" How well she knew bushido? Well, that was definitely up for debate. really, she didn't care that much. She just liked her head on her shoulders and not pissing off the governor was a good way to keep it there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:35 am 

Tamaki takes another bite. "Forgive any ignorance as I have never been in your position, but could you ask the Lion? I believe they would see the wisdom of allowing you to practice your bushido and there is no insult to honor with such approval." Tamaki also thinks the Lion will be overwhelmed with refugees. And she hoped there would be no insult. The ronin would probably know of such risks.

Background