It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:50 pm

Post subject: [Day 7, Early Afternoon] A Good Leader Seeks Wisdom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:40 am 

Mogami trodden through the rainy streets with her budoka, eying the various shops and stalls set up. She saw a few adds seeking calligraphers and made a mental note that if she was in need of some quick extra money, she may put herself for hire. But that is not what she was looking for today.

Today, the aspiring young commander sought to enhance her mind through study, so she looked for different shops that may contain some good books on the subjects of Court Etiquette, How To Romance, Tactical Treatise, Studies on Toshigoku, as well as a copy of both Leadership and The Tao of Shinsei. She also kept an eye out for rare or expensive texts

----
Commerce:
Commerce+Prodigy+Daikoku/Int. Roll: 28

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

Post subject: Re: [Day 7, Early Afternoon] A Good Leader Seeks Wisdom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 am 

Mogami was not the only one shopping, though admittedly the needs of the other woman at this stall were far more mundane. Water pattering off of her hat out into the street before she shook it off at the entrance, the ronin did not look like the sort who was here to pick up a pillow book, or a treatise by Akodo. She simply needed supplies for the course of her work. The work of a shugenja demanded calligraphy as much as it did the medicinal kit she frequently carried.

She wouldn't turn down employment, if it happened along. A bu fed the belly whatever it took to earn it, after all. This part of town was more likely than most to have people seeking a shugenja who weren't valuable enough to solicit the Kitsu's concern, so it was good to keep her ear open. But today, she just needed to check the cost of supplies.

Happening to catch sight of the young Lion, she bowed low. "Ah, Lion-sama," she murmured. No introductions just yet. Just what would be expected. Never knew when these lions could be prickly, after all, so it was always smart to bow first and ask questions later.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:12 am 

Mogami looks around to see who called out to her when her budoka points to the ronin.

"Ah. Can I help you with something, wolf-san?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:23 am 

She had a servant, did she... oh, no. That one was armed, were they not? Budoka or yojimbo. She made a mental note of it and rose carefully from the bow. "Ah... no, not per se -sama. I did not wish to be improper." She kept her tone smooth and even. "I would not wish to interrupt -sama's day improperly."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:27 am 

"You aren't. I'm just looking for some decent books to buy. Are you from here? Any recommendations?"

Her Budoka look at ease, though they are quite heavily outfitted. Large packs on their back, quivers stuffed full of arrows, Han-kyu and Yari, as well as wearing Ashigaru armor. They were much more outfitted than most. Clean and healthy looking too. One might be able to infer that these men were well taken care of.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 am 

She didn't breathe an obvious sigh of relief, but it was apparent when Mogami spoke that she relaxed a little. Stepping up towards the various offerings, she looked them over and frowned a little, shaking her head. "A wolf has no home, not usually, -sama. We wander as the lords of the land permit us, seeking employ. I am here by way of Shiro Akodo, to the west. I was told there might be employ, and many travel through Nikusake..." It wasn't quite openly saying 'this place changes hands a lot,' but there were reasons ronin came to this town. Lots of options in a town like this. "I admit, they had not mentioned the town would be quite this busy."

Still, this many people nearly guaranteed she would be busy. Nikutake was bursting at the seams. "I might have a recommendation or two, -sama... depending upon what it is that you are looking for. May I ask what you seek?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:39 am 

"I would be happy to, but first, can you tell me what skills you possess? You said you are looking for work. Perhaps I may be able to help you."

She gives a very brief flash of a smile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:49 am 

Never argue with the samurai. Particularly if it was their land. Besides, the Lion were much more likely to include her in their employ than anyone else around here. "Of course, -sama. I am a mendicant and a priestess of the kami," she said, bobbing her head. "Most of the time, I am tasked with healing where I have traveled." Not always, but calling on Osano Wo's blessings wasn't her personal forte.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:04 am 

"Are your medical abilities limited to natural methods, or do the Kami listen to you as well in that regard?"

She motions to her budoka

"I have a handful of retainers and have been tasked to prove myself worthy of being promoted to take my fathers place someday as General. As of now, it's just the three of us, but I am keeping an eye out for more who may be willing to follow, learn, and listen."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:13 am 

She wasn't necessarily seeking a permanent arrangement, but she certainly couldn't say following a lion in the midst of this campaign, whatever it was, didn't afford certain options that would make the next month or so easier. Who knew what could happen after that.

"I am versed in the prayers of water and earth kami, yes. I would like to think my medicinal skills are worthy of note, but I believe it is the prayers of the kami that usually draw attention more often than not." As for following, listening and the like. "And of course, a wolf knows to take orders."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:17 am 

"I am Matsu Mogami. What is your name?"

She gives a very shallow bow at the introduction, her budoka following suite.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:24 am 

She returned the bow easily enough, keeping it lower than her better as she did. "I am Mari, Lion-sama. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She wasn't so bold as to assume she was hired just like that, but it was auspicious to find at least one lion looking for possible help. "How may I be of assistance today?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:27 am 

"I am looking for rare books, but also in search of some other more basic things. The Tao, Leadership, some romance pillowbooks, tactical treaties, romances, mysteries...."

She waves her head to budoka

"Some things for them as well to help them learn their characters."

"I have another question for you. Without dishonoring yourself by describing how you became a wolf, can you tell me your story? Your training and history? Any remarkable deeds, or mercenary work"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:41 am 

"Quite the wide net, -sama," she said, smiling a little in bemusement. That was sort of all over the place, was it not? She seemed to be hunting to know a little bit of everything, though the ronin did note that romance featured a little heavily in there. The girl was clearly still young was she not? Then again, she wondered if she was really that much older. The life of a ronin could make you grow up fast. "I like to think of myself as a decent storyteller. Perhaps I could ply you with a yarn or two one day... But, I think maybe we should focus the interest a little first."

That question, though, clearly made her uncomfortable. She didn't bother to hide it. Like most ronin? There were pieces of her past she didn't want to talk about. The life of a ronin was far from an honorable thing. You didn't fill your belly with the tenets of bushido, but with rice. And how you got your rice was up to the forebearance of the kami, and one's skills. Not all of those jobs were exactly pleasant things to talk about.

"My apologies, Lion-sama. Were you to ask this one's services, you won't find me a glorious retainer. I've been told I'm the sort to blend into a crowd, and people tend to remember a healer only when they are in need of their services." She coughed once into her hand. "I am one of many children of a family blessed by Jurojin, but my feet would not leave me to remain among my closest kin. I sought other horizons, and so I am on a pilgrimage of my own by the leave of the lords that permit it. I was trained first in the placation of earth spirits, but have kept close to those of water as well, and I seek to train to hone my spirit so that none need worry for my own well being and I may turn my gifts towards those who need it more than I."

(Sincerity 37)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:03 am 

"I believe that it is wide for a reason. There are many things I need to learn, or brush up on, and now that I also have taken on the task of training these men to be more like samurai than heimin, it means there are a wide breath of topics that need to be touched."

Mogami listens to the tale and nods approvingly.

"I see. And what would your Lords who are permitting to you being on pilgrimage say about being brought into the employ of an up an coming commander seeking to broaden her retinue?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:09 am 

"A samurai is tasked to be all things to all people, yes." That at least made sense to her. That was the lot of anyone who wanted high station. Specialization was for servants, not many samurai. "Though I apologize for misspeaking. When I say the lords, I refer to your own. As ronin, it is your lords who permit me to be on this soil, just as it would be the Dragon, were I a little further north than now. I have no lord of my own in my pilgrimage, and there is no home that awaits me when it ends, unless fortune favors otherwise. But I must acknowledge the grace of a lord to allow me to travel."

She looked at the books, her fingers reaching for one of them and opening it. Her face didn't color, but this one was perhaps a little on the scandalous side. A little cough into her hand and she glanced. "You mentioned an interest in romance novels, yes? The courtly sort?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:16 am 

She nods and takes the book, looking at it for a moment.

"Are you well versed in the Tao?"

She says casually as she flips through a couple pages, her eyes going quickly, hungrily, over the text.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:21 am 

Well, that look in the girl's eyes was informative wasn't it? Mari made a mental note of it, not that it was especially important. But it never hurt to be aware of the proclivities of another. "I am not so versed as many, but I have studied the ways of meditation in some detail. I have often been told that a centered mind is the foundation for one's search or enlightenment." Though training in religion? Not among her schoolings, in truth. She was a bit more of a ... pragmatic priest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:24 am 

"I think this is a good recommendation. I thank you for it."

She shuts the book and then motions toward the Shiro.

"Have you been schooled in the peculiarities of castle life and the courts?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:38 am 

She turned and regarded the castle in the distance, her eyes narrowing a little. How to put this. "I have been trained in the finer art of knowing when to keep my mouth shut, -sama. It is not for a ronin to play in the games and works of courtiers and bureaucrats. Theirs is a world I deal with only when I seek travel papers and permission normally." A shake of her head. "And to walk there, a ronin must know how to avoid offense, but no more. I would not wish to put on airs of my betters."

That, and really? That sort of thing didn't keep her fed generally. "I am ... glad that the book meets your approval." She made another mental note, not speaking of its contents. Definitely good to know.