It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:36 pm

Post subject: [D7, EE] Gestures of Solidarity
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:23 pm 

Koushi's arrival at the palace was quiet and unheralded, with none of the stiff posturing of Kakita duelists in times of war. Rather, his armor had been left behind and his cloak was drawn up over his shoulders against the driving rain.

Though cold, he announced himself with warmth at the palace, and was soon shown to a modest meeting chamber to await his hosts.

Carries: Daisho, Fan, Medical Bag.
Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

Post subject: Re: [D7, EE] Gestures of Solidarity
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:27 pm 

It wasn't long until Mogami and her Budoka arrived. They all three give a bow to Koushi.

"Hello again, Doji-sama. I take it your march went well?"

Her voice has a hint of annoyance to it, and her eyes are less warm than the last time they spoke. Instead, more calculating and wary, as if assessing an enemy.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:15 pm 

Koushi's eyes, on the other hand, contained no sign of enmity. They simply reflected the serenity drilled into the children of Doji from a young age. He rose and returned the bow.

"Hai. Most arrived without injury, Matsu-sama, for which I am grateful. And yours?"

Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:46 pm 

“The same? Though Ive have been cold before, this time I worried I was going to lose a toe or two

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 pm 

Koushi blinked. "Ah..well, that was certainly an issue during the march from Morikage Toshi. There's much more of a chance for respiratory ailments, given the excess of water in the air. Fortunately, the coolness means that the standing water won't turn problematic for a time. Although eradicating large puddles in the streets might be a good idea, should this place also be required to stand a siege."

He paused, belatedly remembering his position, here. "Not that it is any of my business, of course."

Apparently, some doctors can find it difficult to turn off the professional switch.

)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:18 pm 

Mogami blinks at the assessment.

“I see. So, how was your court today? Strange, I don’t recall any of ours ever preventing a clan from attending.”

Her voice has a sharp edge to it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:03 pm 

Koushi leaned forward with a warm smile.

"It is precisely this that I felt needed discussion. The sons and daughters of Doji knew that not all of the Lion could hold the same...murky...position on the leadership of the Empire that the Governor here has expressed, and which many of her support staff appear to have tacitly supported. You can imagine the relief of the Ambassador's staff when I informed them of the spirit of defiance which was present at Toshi no Omoidoso.

And yet...it was not possible to extend an invitation to some members of a Great Clan and not others. This is still the Empire, and the Governor has her position legitimately. Her position carries enormous influence. An Ambassadorial staff cannot be seen to undermine her authority in so crass a way. Thus the meeting at the Crane Embassy as a chance for the righteous position we share to be expressed, and thus this visit, this..gesture of solidarity and recognition on our part that your clan, in spite of some local confusion, has bright souls that can lead it still."

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:52 am 

No sooner had the other Lioness entered than now. She bowed to both, pallid and expressionless, more ghastly then ever, and yet still somehow composed, probably due to inculcated habit.

"Mina-san, konbanwa." She said with quiet dryness.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:54 am 

"Matsu-sama"

Mogami bows low to the woman.

"Doji-sama here was just describing why we were locked out of expressing our views at the court the Crane held today."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:56 am 

Koushi rose fluidly to his feet to bow deeply to the Magistrate. Ghastly as she may look, her presence was a relief.

"Konbanwa, Matsu-sama. Yes, it was largely out of deference to the views of the Governor, which are, I am told, not entirely the same as those we all expressed some days ago at Toshi no Omoidasu."

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:23 am 

"I'd like to make it simple and clear, Doji-san. Is it suggested that the Lion have themselves to blame for the discourtesy?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 am 

Koushi raised an eyebrow.

"I am suggesting that it is no discourtesy to decline to invite samurai to speak counter to their lord's expressed views."

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:29 am 

Mogami grimaced a little, but kept her On in place.

She looks cautiously between the Magistrate and the Surgeon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:36 am 

"I don't need the Crane to look after my honour, Doji-san." Kōgyoku said firmly. "And I expect many a Lion holding a very similar view of the situation. If your superiors don't reconsider, I'll be recommending a proportional response."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:43 am 

The grimace deepened and her On began to show cracks.

"It is my understanding that any Lion is not permitted in the Crane embassy at all in any circumstance. I know you just arrived here as well, Doji-sama, but perhaps you have heard of the position and why?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:57 am 

"I will deliver the message, Matsu-sama."

Koushi bowed serenely, and held the bow for a moment to give physical form to his sincerity.

To Mogami, he said: "I am unaware of the reason. Our clans have traditionally been unfriendly, though, Matsu-san. If we continue to transition into détente, these sorts of issues will arise. 700 years are difficult to set aside in a breath, and not everyone is as willing as I to overlook old grievances."

Turning back to Kogokyu, he said "I came here in the spirit of our war against the usurper. Are you interested in information, or would you prefer this meeting were ended now?"

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 am 

"I know you're a man of honour, Doji-san. As long as we speak as two honourable samurai and less so as representatives of those of our respective Clans whose honour dictates prioritising old grudges over defeating the usurpation, I don't see a reason for us to adjourn this meeting prematurely." Kōgyoku gestured for all of them to get seated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:33 am 

Mogami's tension fades a little and she bows to Kōgyoku, taking a seat after the other two do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:50 pm 

Koushi sat as bidden, his outward calm covering the ebbing of the last dregs of his annoyance at the bungled start of the capper of what had become a very trying day.

[Wow, prepositional phrases and possessives can take you some distance, can't they?]

He took a beat to collect his thoughts, and then began.

"As I mentioned to Matsu-san a moment ago, the political atmosphere in Nikesake is somewhat different to that of Toshi no Omoidoso, and this has had an effect on the tenor of debate. The arguments for the correct side in the debate seemed to carry less weight or urgency than they did when we gathered before Shimizu-sama. Some who before argued strongly for the defense of the Empire instead chose to prevaricate or quibble with those making the case for war against the traitor. Others advocated rather extreme measures, perhaps as over-compensation."

)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:56 pm 

“Perhaps it is a coping mechanism for those with dishonorable hearts? They have allowed fear to set in, seeing the refugees, fighting the senselessly violent enemy, and forced to abandon their homes they believe that submission would somehow ease their pains and rationalize that life under the Steel Chrysanthemum would be better than doing their Duty and upholding the Empress and the Crown Prince?”