It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I really suck at this [Day 7, Early Evening, Open]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:06 pm 

Degarashi had a very rudimentary understanding of proper blade technique and it doesn't serve him very well.

Fluff Kenjutsu: 4d10o10k3 17

However, after a moment, he realized that Chihaya was not attacking or defending, she was rehearsing. Much like an actor preparing for a role, she was going through motions, ignorant of the speed or pacing, merely the correctness of the form.

Degarashi began to watch so closely it might be improper anywhere else. He watched the set of her hips, the movements of her feet, how she squared her shoulders, even eyed the rise and fall of her breast as she breathed with her movements.

Fluff Acting: 6d10o10k3 30

And the results were vastly different.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:07 pm 

"Ah," he says and makes an attempt to work through the motions with the practice knife, doing far better than he had expected (Knives 37).

"That makes sense enough. Thank you for the lesson, Suzume-shoi."

He offers a bow.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:07 pm 

"I ... will practice for a moment. I don't want to interrupt Kasuga-sama's question," she said, deferring to him. And in truth? She was a little interested to see if it could apply to Jitte, even if they weren't her forte. She was, however, far less perturbed by the idea of drawing the shorter blade. Shugenja were rarely graced with a full daisho. "Perhaps in a moment, -sama."

Seeing her start to explain, she nodded in satisfaction and continued to go through each motion. It was methodical, a touch on the precise and formulaic level, but she was still at least starting to remember most of the motions.

Oh yes, the Bayushi definitely seemed to be getting the idea, didn't he?

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm 

Chihaya nodded to all three.

"Yes, that is the gist of it. If you maintain your practice, you will become comfortable with the base fundamentals, regardless of whether you use katana or wakizashi - the key elements remain very similar."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:06 pm 

Degarashi gained a level of peace and satisfaction following the kata as precisely as he could manage. He knew it was far from perfect, but for now he'd settle for adequately satisfactory. There was a faint sheen of sweat on his brow when he decided to relax.

"I believe I'll be devoting time to this, Suzume-shoi. Given the times, I dare not be unprepared."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:31 am 

She nodded. "Thank you for taking time to demonstrate, -sama. I do not spend long in the dojo as a rule. Being able to take an added lesson is appreciated." She would, however, step back a little from the others unless someone wanted to speak to her, not wanting to impose herself too far for the moment, still gauging all the strangers who had come into this town before really settling on an opinion of the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:08 am 

"I'm glad I can do my part in ensuring the emperor's servants are well equipped for the coming turmoil."

She smiled blandly after dropping that sobering reminder into their midst.

"It is the honor of the sensei when their students manifest the potential of the teaching."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:19 pm 

Seitouna bows.

"Thank you, indeed, Suzume-shoi."

He pauses for a moment.

"I do not know if Ryuuta-bugyo has made it to the city. Would you happen to have seen him?"

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:03 pm 

She shook her head.

"I have not."

It would be unfortunate if he hadn't made it through the journey.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:08 pm 

Seitouna nods.

"I know that Kasuga Asakuro arrived safely; I walked with him enough of the way."

There's a bit of a smile at that.

"Give me a pitching deck in a following sea any time above overland travel."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:39 pm 

Degarashi brushed the scrap of paper in his obi idly, wondering if the missing Ryuuta had anything to do with its contents. There was little to base the assumption on, but the Kasuga was quickly becoming a good friend, and even without the connection, it was still something Degarashi wanted to share, if only to ease his own troubled mind.

He approached Seitouna with a bow, then turned and offered the same to Chihaya. "Ano, Suzume-shoi, might I have a moment to speak with Seitouna-sama privately?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:45 pm 

Seitouna almost reflexively returns the bow, and he cocks an eyebrow at the request. But he awaits permission or acknowledgement before withdrawing.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:19 pm 

Mari, for her part, stepped further away from the three of them to give the space that those two might need for a bit of privacy while in the midst of her exercises. She was continuing methodically through them for the time being, and content to do so, though if the Suzume wanted an excuse to approach someone else and give them space, she was conveniently available.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:05 am 

Chihaya simply nodded, and walked over to the ronin.

"It is not common for one of your talents to be without clan - is this a journey of self-discovery, or do you seek employment?"

It was asked blandly, as if she weren't angling for either answer in particular. It also gave both men space to speak, without any indication of her being excluded.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:11 am 

Degarashi watched the Suzume leave to speak with the ronin, then turned to face the Kasuga, expression distant. "Seitouna-sama. I would like very much to call you a friend. In that vein, I'd like you to read this. I've no idea if it relates to the one you asked about, but it will give insight into my current disposition."

Degarashi reached into his obi and withdrew the letter, then handed it to Seitouna.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:18 am 

She paused and slipped the bokken into her obi when she was addressed. It was a normal question, and for a moment she thought about how to put this. Her eyes turned towards the Suzume and when she spoke, and when she did she was careful in the choice of wordss.

"I think every shugenja is on a pilgrimage of one form or another, and if they do not seek self-discovery they will never become more than they are, -sama. Clan or ronin, learning the ways of the kami is a path that sometimes takes us down unplanned directions."

A shrug. "But as a ronin? I am generally seeking work in most towns. It was rumors of a need that brought me here by way of Shiro Akodo. I confess that I don't like speaking too much of my early tutelage, however."

( Sincerity: 35 )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:47 am 

Chihaya nodded. "Then I will not ask about it."

With a small shrug, she added, "It sounds like you have some satisfaction in your current role - you must, if you have not taken an offer by a clan to join them. I doubt you could go long without receiving one."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:23 am 

There was a bit of a glimmer there of emotion. It wavered, and there was a bit of a bitter twinge to the set of her lip. There was definitely more to it, much like any ronin, but she didn't feel like getting into it. A stilling breath and she smile over at the Suzume.

"Oh yes. I am where my path has taken me, and it is where I belong. I can't think of anywhere else that I would be in life right now." she laughed a little bit and her smile was easier then. "There will be offers of hiring. I know that there is a certain... usefulness so long as I remember my place. But fealty is not a thing I wish. I am just young wolf, in the end."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:55 pm 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
Degarashi watched the Suzume leave to speak with the ronin, then turned to face the Kasuga, expression distant. "Seitouna-sama. I would like very much to call you a friend. In that vein, I'd like you to read this. I've no idea if it relates to the one you asked about, but it will give insight into my current disposition."

Degarashi reached into his obi and withdrew the letter, then handed it to Seitouna.

Seitouna shoves his practice knife into his obi and accepts the letter with both hands.

When he reads it, his face grows still.

He pauses for a moment, then returns the letter to Degarashi and bows his head to him.

"He is not wrong, you know. About you. Nor are you to be disposed so.

"And if you see him, we can drink to his return. And if not, to that, instead."

Seitouna looks at the Scorpion. If there is another thing he can say, something that would help, he would, but he does not know such words.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:50 pm 

Degarashi accepts the letter at it's returned and places it back inside his obi. Seitouna may not have had any further words to offer, but the vestiges of them, what they might have been, were written into the Tortoise's features. And for now, that was enough.

Reaching out with one hand, Degarashi clasped Seitouna on the shoulder. "I've told no one else about the exposed plate in my armor. And I trust few to repair it should something pierce my chest." A brief, meaningful silence followed his words, before he nodded back to Chihaya. "For now, however, perhaps focusing on how to send those who would harm us back to where they belong."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next