It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:42 pm

Post subject: Can't rain on my parade (D3 EM Open)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:36 am 

The weather was awful. No other way to say it. However, it hadn't put one person off visiting the gardens at least. Homura was equipped for war, but also had an umbrella to keep some of this icy rain off her.

For now though, the umbrella was wrapped up. Homura stood silently, eyes closed, near the willow tree. The elements were battering her, but still she remained. Focused. Channeling the world around her out, as she sought that perfect strike.

Post subject: Re: Can't rain on my parade (D3 EM Open)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:40 pm 

Homura was not alone, not far away, but unwilling to interfere with the woman's training, was the one armed Matsu. She was dressed in a wicker cloak and hat to better keep the elements from drenching her too badly. Chinatsu watched the other woman with a careful eye, not as a duelist would, but as an artist seeing potential inspiration.

Carries: Fan, Ink brush and paper, wakizashi, umbrella (on particularly sunny days), bag with some money

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:46 pm 

Time seemed to slow around the Ikoma woman. The rain was biting, and it was difficult to maintain the composure, however nothing of this appeared on Homura's face. Then suddenly her eyes opened and she dashed forward, taking two steps and drawing her katana. A perfect, fast strike. She paused, blade drawn, before taking the moment to shake off the imaginary blood and sheath the blade. Taking a breath and rubbing her arms, feeling the weather now she was out of the pure duelist focus.

She peered to her side, feeling eyes on her, and spotted her kin. There was a bow to the woman.

"Nice weather we're having, ne?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:16 pm 

Chinatsu snorted at that. "I've seen worse, I'll say that much." She replied, returning the bow, careful to keep her head angled enough to keep water from pouring down her neck.

"That was quite impressive, though I think even the kenku are staying inside in this weather." She said with a slight smirk.

Carries: Fan, Ink brush and paper, wakizashi, umbrella (on particularly sunny days), bag with some money

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:26 pm 

"This seems like prime Kenku scouting weather though. Only the most committed of potential students would continue when the heavens are pouring ice upon them" Homura grinned, picking up and opening her umbrella before approaching "but thank you Matsu-sama. I don't believe we have properly met? I am Ikoma Homura"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:51 pm 

Chinatsu could only shrug at that, knowing little about the kenku, though she supposed it made sense. "No, we have not. I am Matsu Chinatsu. It is an honor to meet you Ikoma-san. What brings you out in this weather?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:00 pm 

"Lovely to meet you too Matsu-sama. What brings me out here, interestingly, is the weather. It's getting worse, and there is a feeling that war is on the horizon. I considered just using the dojo, but walking to the dojo made me shiver, which then made me consider how ill prepared I am for these conditions."

She looked up at the sky.

"I'm not a war veteran like many of our kin gathered here. I serve in the courtrooms as the spoken word or the finishing blade. I'm not prepared for these kind of conditions, so I decided to forsake the perfect practicing location for a truer version of where we will fight, should the Steel Chrysanthemum's army truly be close by."

Homura gazed back at Chinatsu.

"What brings Matsu-sama here? Other than my delightful company of course" she grinned.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:17 pm 

Chinatsu smiled mirthlessly. "Better prepared than some Homura-san. I would only get in the way if I went to the lines." The tone of her voice made it clear that Chinatsu's Matsu blood was pumping for conflict and glory, either in victory or death.

She shook herself, only partly because of the cold. "As for why I am here, the first wave of defenders will be leaving soon, the refugees have been mostly packed up. The conflict is coming, I am restless."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:27 pm 

"I can imagine those few Crane that are able to assist have remained either huddled in their room until the rain stops, or moving between streets to the dojo" Homura chuckled "but do not sell yourself short. I know when the moment comes you would stand with your kin and we would fight united. That is more than some, Chinatsu-sama."

Homura took the last few steps over to be in closer polite company.

"Restlessness is understandable. I have taken to focusing my mind more these last few days. Yet I still cannot get the scenes at Morikage Toshi out of my mind. These returned spirits believe they can break us, yet they have only ignited the spark that will lead to their downfall."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:01 pm 

Chinatsu smiled slightly at the encouragement. "Arigato, Homura-san. I hope that all proper samurai are doing their part." She glanced side eye at the Ikoma. "And I have known a few Crane that know how to carry their weight outside of court."

Chinatsu grew quiet at the mention of morikage toshi. "I have read many stories of massacres, some even written by survivors, but I cannot imagine what it was truly like."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:37 pm 

"I believe that all samurai will do their part, I just know some parts are bigger than others" Homura smirked, although the smile fell away.

"I was there, in the very court room that it happened in. Everything felt like it was in slow motion. The vile perversion of the Celestial Order grabbed the Emperor, dragging him backwards. Shouting at everyone, demanding what he wanted, and when he didn't get it he ran the knife across...." Homura paused, taking a breath "to see an Emperor slain in front of my very eyes, and the man who did it not only survive but waltz out protected by the Emperors own guards? I still feel speechless thinking about it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:19 pm 

Chinatsu shivered, and not because of the cold. "Homura-san, whenever you feel you are ready, I would like to write the story down, to hopefully be added to the Library." She stated firmly, already her job as historian as well as storyteller prompting her motives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:39 pm 

"Of course Chinasu-sama" Homura said with a nod "anytime in the next few days I would be happy to make time to tell the story. It had been a very strange court in general up until that point. I cannot think of any time in history where two Emperors stood in the same courtroom. The very idea of it doesn't make sense."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:39 am 

Chinatsu smiled slightly and nodded. "Arigato, Homura-san." She paused then, considering. "There have been a few times when an Emperor has surrendered his position to their child before dying, thus creating an odd power dynamic, or times when the throne has been briefly contested by the children of an Emperor, but never something like this."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 am 

"Hai, I can see a power struggle between children, but between an ancestor and his descendant....We live in interesting times Chinatsu-sama. I have a feeling it will get worse before it gets better, but at least the stories will be more interesting, ne?" Homura finally managed to smile again "I do like a good story, although I would prefer hearing it rather than staring in it, I'm not one for glory."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:10 pm 

Chinatsu nodded grimly. "Hai. Even after the usurper is defeated. The Emperor was not an only child and many will compete to become regent, not just the Empress." She sighed, wishing that such times had not fallen on her.

"Perhaps we did not wish it, but I will do my Duty and record the events for the future."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:05 pm 

"I admire your diligent commitment to the greater story Chinatsu-sama. I will have plenty of stories to share by the time this war is over, and I suspect your the more talented of us in the art of recording history. I already know of another that I will leave for you, but it is not one I can discuss now. I will record it though, and leave the notes for you to report back" Homura offered with a nod "were you at Toshi no Omoidoso already before the rest of us descended upon your court of choice for the winter, Chinatsu-sama?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:26 pm 

Chinatsu perked an eyebrow at the mention of another story, already curious, but if she was meant to know yet, Homura would tell her. For now she would get to look forward to the mystery of it.

At the question she nodded. "Hai, I was stationed here for the winter, helping to keep some fresh samurai get experience in a friendly court before they go off to their own assignments." She shrugged, not minding what others might consider a menial duty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 am 

"A noble goal. I remember my first court, while I performed above expectation I'm almost certain my superior both loathed and liked me in equal portions with my youthful exuberance" Homura grinned "not that I've ever lost that! Nor do I intend to, it's worked well so far, enough to get me an invite to the Winter Court. Are they prepared? Not that It matters now I suppose."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:45 am 

Chinatsu groaned at the mention of youthful exuberance. "I think we broke at least two shinai as I tried to exercise the exuberance out of that group, or at least get it to levels where they weren't so eager to speak they stuck their foot in their mouths half the time they opened it." She sighed.

"One way or another, there will be further courts, and they left a week ago, so they are likely safely home by now, praise the Fortunes."