It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: Re: Worn Out Faces [Day 3, Late Evening, 1 Spot Open]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 pm 

"Well, I rather enjoyed hearing it, maybe your horses are just critical." Here eyed the stack of his remaining possessions. Almost everything was packed away now. "What manner of experiences did you have with your parents, Yukarin-sama?"

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 pm 

"My mother always said it was because I was scared of the horses, and they could tell. I suppose that about sums things up, really; My parents were kind, but firm. Critical of the way I did things and my choices... but I never got the idea that they were looking down on me or not understanding me. It was more like... they were worried about me. Sure, some of that is I always used to get into trouble, but I think it was also because I didn't fit in with the rest of the family, no matter how much my sister defended me and those choices. I suppose, above all... they felt kind of distant. Like figureheads, people I was supposed to look up to and listen to, but not talk to frankly. Especially my father. Maybe that was wrong of me to assume, but you can't change the past."

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:17 pm 

Degarashi shook his head, amazed that yet another had similar experiences. Perhaps parental disappointment was as much a rokugani custom as fancy kimonos and clever insults. "An assumption would mean that you have no basis for your beliefs, but you seem to at least have some. An assumption..." he frowned, then continued. "An assumption is thinking your mother has an unhealthy superstition when you see her pray to the fortunes once hoping they'll bless her child with an honorable, exciting life. It's another thing entirely to watch her do that every day until she forgets why she started in the first place."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:46 pm 

"And yet, at the same time, I never really talked with them about it, asked them how they felt. I felt that way, and thus I avoided them. So it's made me wonder before if it wasn't a self fulfilling prophecy, to borrow a term. You have an experience where someone calls you irresponsible, and then you act irresponsible because that's what you think people expect from you. But they didn't before, and now they do. That sort of thing."

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:00 am 

Degarashi glanced over Yukarin's shoulder, towards her travel pack. "You wouldn't happen to have any sake in there, would you? I feel the need for a drink suddenly." He sighed. "But I suppose you're right. I never confronted my parents about my feelings either, felt it was a waste of time to even try. Not to mention my sensei pretty much taking over that role once my training began. I still blame Yukinaga for his fame and impeccable honor sometimes."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:17 am 

"Yukinaga... a sibling of yours then?"

If he'd mentioned that name before, it had been lost in the hectic day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:43 am 

Degarashi snorted his amusement.

"Hai, Yukarin-sama, my younger brother. It's strange to meet someone who would speak to me yet knows nothing of him."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:12 am 

"I mean, you've not heard of my family's lineage either, neh? The Unicorn and the Empire were really worlds apart, for so long. I'd never heard of such institutions as Friendly Traveler Sake, haiku, or Go. It's been a lot to catch up on, and the movers and shakers amongst all the different substrata of society... well, that's a lot to ask."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:15 am 

"You can probably imagine, then, why my gempukku ceremony was scarcely three years ago, with all I had to master. But it is considered unseemly to take so long as I did, even delayed in the program. Society considers me... impaired."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:44 am 

"Well society can just suck on a horse's..."

She cleared her throat.

"Anyways... you turned out fine, neh? You certainly have talent. Though I can't say how much, since I've not known you long enough. But talent is talent, and you shouldn't be ashamed just because you took your time."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:54 am 

Degarashi smiled mysteriously. "Yes, I suppose I can only be as ashamed as I allow myself to be. You do share a rather uncommon view of me, however. I am, among the Scorpion at least, almost university overlooked. Though there are certain benefits that come along with the frustrations it has been a... lonely experience."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:56 am 

She seemed to think about that for a bit, stacking and packing things slowly as she sat there silently. Finally, she spoke up, "Well... what about marrying out of the Scorpion then? I realize that is a very loaded question for many reasons, but that's my first instinct."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:04 am 

"Difficult under the best of circumstances." He frowned a bit. "I am unimportant, low of status, and of an uncommon age for marriages. Politically I hold little value, and could at best be offered as a throwaway token to some clan as an apology, which is unlikely to endear me with whoever accepted such an arrangement."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:18 am 

"What about a minor clan? I hear the Sparrow have great appreciation for storytellers and plays of all sorts. Just as an instance."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:28 am 

Degarashi considered the only Sparrow he'd met thus far. "A possibility, I suppose, but again age becomes an issue. Many of the Minor Clans seek their marriages early, as other clans do, and would need some assurance of my benefits prior to an arrangement. I'm sure I don't sit high up on anyone's list currently, I'm a matchmaker's nightmare."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:33 am 

"I thought that early was more important for women. It's that way with horses at least I know..."

She glanced over in Degarashi's direction, blushing a little, "...pardon; I seem to have been making the most crass suggestions about you here. Joining a minor clan indeed. You deserve better than that. Or being compared to a stallion."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:45 am 

There was another snort, maybe a bit more horselike than before. "Worry not, your levity is refreshing. It's much nicer than listening to someone taking ages to say something insulting in a seemingly uninsulting way." Then he laughed. "Do be careful comparing me to a stallion, however. People might wonder how you became availed of such a notion."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:36 am 

The blush stayed, "I shall keep that advice in mind. And anyways, I suspect the analogy is not analogous; There are some politics involved with horse breeding amongst the top stock, but it is nowhere near as pervasive as it is amongst samurai. I concede that point."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:06 am 

"All too true, Yukarin-sama." Degarashi shook his head once more, then glanced up at Yukarin, noted her blush, and looked up beyond her shoulder. "On the matter of rokugani politics, I should like to inform you of a more unspoken rule, as thanks for your assistance with my belongings." He pointed behind her, to the spot where his eyes were focused. "That door," he said "is currently the only thing protecting our collective image. Because it is open, any can come by and clearly see you assisting me in my preparations to leave. However," he lifted his hand and mimed closing the door, "should it close while both of us remained within, anyone passing by could, and assuredly would, assume any number of things occurring where their eyes cannot penetrate." He caught her eyes with his own. "I'd not want you inviting such rumors in ignorance."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:34 am 

"I assure you, I'd not have let you close the door, Bayushi-sama."

The blush faded a little, and a small smile appeared, "I may be optimistic, but don't mistake me for being too naive; I'd rather not have anything I need to explain to Tomo-kun when I see him again, neh?"