It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:05 pm

Post subject: Re: D3 LE - Governor's Address (Open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:40 pm 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"I have not, but it sounds quite intriguing. Mysteries are always some of my most favorites. I like trying to figure them out before the main character can. I've succeeded a few times, but more often than not I missed something, or the writer wrote in a way that it would be impossible to solve without a wild guess being right. I tend to dislike the later, as it feels to....set up? I'd rather my stories have logic in them than magic or luck. Also, it's much easier to learn from a story using logic than luck as well."

"I do also like the occasional romance, though I haven't read any in a long time. Does Yogo-san have any suggestions there? Perhaps the markets of Nikesake will have it."

Asking a Yogo for romantic reading advice? The Heavens were sure to punish this Matsu by having the Yogo answer the question.

"I will admit, I don't read much romance. The last one that would fit that description would be "Korekiyo's Sister's Friends." The main character is Kitsu Korekiyo, a tall, somewhat intense shugenja as he attends winter court. His big sister is home ill, but he goes through court making friends on her behalf. Court seems to be going rather well, until two female courtiers die under mysterious circumstances, one a Moshi and one a Matsu.

Through the character's investigation, and author flashbacks, the reader slowly discovers that Korekiyo's relationship is much much darker than originally set out. He was in a romantic relationship with her....until she died from her illness. Stricken with grief, he attempted to reach out to her spirit. Having gone mad from the death of his beloved sister, he believes that through the ritual he has managed to house her spirit within himself. And that she is very lonely and in need of friends. From that day forth he stalked the courts, meeting samurai-ko he felt would be worthy friends of his sister...and then killing them." she reveals.

"A dark tale to be sure, but an interesting study on how warped love can become from grief."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:45 pm 

Moto Baatar continued to regale whatever unfortunates were close enough to hear with tales of the day's battle.

"So there I was, unhorsed and on the wall with the archers as the enemy approached," he boasted. "They said I could never hit them from so far away, but I had a Unicorn bow...."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 am 

"Oh, that sounds extremely good! I will certainly have to look for it. It reminds me of a story about how a Mantis fell in love with a Crane maiden. They would send letters to each other every day, waiting for the day they next met. Little did the Mantis know that the Crane threw herself from the castle walls when her father found out and forbid she ever speak to him again."

"The letters kept coming though, and then when the Sailor finally got to reach the port in the Crane lands where she lived, he set off to meet her. The letters said she would be on the beach, but all he found was a rotted corpse. Disheartened, he left and stopped writing the letters to her. Over time, he forgot about his love for her and he went back to his previous sailor ways, seducing women at ports only to sail into the distance, never seeing them again."

"One day, he received an odd request to go to the docks at midnight, when Lord moon was fully at rest. Thinking it may be some hidden lover, he goes, only to be dragged under the sea by the corpse he saw on the beach all those years ago."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:42 am 

Aya looked thoughtful at that.

"Hopefully the author remember to include a throwaway line about the sailor sending word for the burakumin to fetch the corpse. I don't need all the mystical elements of a story explained to me, but no one just goes, "Oh, a corpse.' and then goes about their business."

She shakes her head.

"Nothing takes you out of a story faster than common sense things being sacrificed in the name of the story. Like when in stories the guards hear mysterious noises, and then shrug it off as just the wind."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:38 am 

"I agree with you. I imagine that the writer skipped over it, as I don't recall him interacting with anyone after the beach, but I agree that any good samurai would do as such. Perhaps they skipped it since it is such common knowledge?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:47 am 

Aya shrugged.

"Or they simply didn't think such a detail was important, and might detract from the story." she said shaking her head.

"Crane author?"

Theme Song

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:48 am 

Mogami nods.

"I believe, but I can't remember their name, or the book title. It has been a long time since I read it. Funny how something can bring back memories long forgotten."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 pm 

Seitouna adds to his notes.
Quote:
She did not do so, lighting only long enough to speak in the Governor's praise and to receive it in turn before leaping away. Perhaps my earlier conversation with Mirumoto Wasako was not so rare a thing as I had thought it would be, after all.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:35 pm 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
Mogami nods.

"I believe, but I can't remember their name, or the book title. It has been a long time since I read it. Funny how something can bring back memories long forgotten."

Aya chuckles at the wist.

"You sound like an old man when you talk that way, Mogami-san. I know you aspire to be a great leader, but you needn't copy them that closely. You can fight, you can inspire, you can lead, but even a perfect recitation of Leadership will not give you a beard to stroke knowingly." she teased.

She glanced down briefly.

"At least not a very long one."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:51 pm 

Mogami strokes her chin, as if stroking an invisible beard

“Hmmm, yes, yes. Good point. Very well, I shall amend my speech to be more youthful and vibrant. What is it they say? Yeet-something-or-other?”