It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The evacuation part 1 (D3 EN open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:05 pm 

"A canary sings
A cradle song
Sleep, sleep,
Sleep, child!"

Miwako sang softly.

"Above the cradle,
"The loquat fruits sway
Sleep, sleep,
Sleep, child!"

She slowly rocked her child back and forth in her arms.

"A squirrel rocks
The cradle by its rope
Sleep, sleep,
Sleep, child!"

Her voice remained low and soothing.

"Dreams in a cradle,
With the yellow moon shining down
Sleep, sleep,
Sleep, child!"

Phoenix Clan ° Shugenja ° Diminished Water Tensai ° Togashi Trained ° Tattooed ° Healer ° Light Sleeper ° Dream Hunter ° Lunatic ° Married ° Mother ° Bee Queen ° Sake Overseer ° Rainmaker ° Experienced
Status 1.0 | Glory 3.0 | Honor: What's Expected

Carries/wears: Scroll satchel, tanto, wakizashi, jade, cricket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:40 pm 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Aya looked over at the raspy hail.

"Hm? Report? It's raining, and it sounds like you're losing your voice. I'd recommend finding someone to relay your orders so you can rest it before it gives out entirely. Also, hot tea with honey whenever we stop. Lemon would be good too, but I doubt anyone packed lemons." she offered.

Helpful Yogo was helpful, and totally not sarcastic. Not a bit.

She unleashed her no-sarcasm on someone who recognised the possibility of it but chose to believe in honesty and sincerity of samurai until proven otherwise.

"This is more an advice than a report, Yogo-san, and sadly an impractical one. I cannot abandon my duty now. As a Scorpion you surely realise it. There might be time for rest and tea later."

She paused. "But no lemons either way. Life here doesn't give them."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:05 pm 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Togashi Myo-en wrote:
Myo-en's pack is heavier than usual with Temple articles destined for the possibly-fleeting safety of Nikesake's Fortunist storerooms, but she marches stolidly all the same, using her staff for surer footing when her straw footwear slips in the icy muck.

An unusually large black crow huddles grumpily on her shoulder, semi-successfully sheltering from the rain under the edge of her wide hat. It clacks its beak and makes a rattling noise when Myo-en draws near Aya's marching position, almost as if chuckling about the eavesdropping Yogo.

"Don't be rude," the monk says absently, without looking up from a tricky patch of footing.

Aya looked over at the Togashi while she was talking to her bird.

"But why ever not? There is a certain amusement in seeing just how much it takes to upset a preciously balanced and praticed On." she asks the monk.

Myo-en looks up, swiping away a drop of mud that has splashed up to land on her cheekbone. "I have found mortal life challenges most people's balance enough without help," she says with equanimity, in a louder voice than she'd used for the crow.

The crow clacks its beak and edges further under her hat.

Matsu Kōgyoku wrote:
She unleashed her no-sarcasm on someone who recognised the possibility of it but chose to believe in honesty and sincerity of samurai until proven otherwise.

"This is more an advice than a report, Yogo-san, and sadly an impractical one. I cannot abandon my duty now. As a Scorpion you surely realise it. There might be time for rest and tea later."

Myo-en clears her throat. "I think Yogo-san only suggests that you conserve what you have. There must be another Lion around here who can roar while you whisper."

Loud Lions were a zeni for a dozen in Myo-en's experience, after all. Quiet Lions... a rarer breed, though not wholly mythical.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:11 pm 

"Oh they will. If they don't want to say goodbye to scratches and snack time!"

Erina chuckles as she can watch the two cats ears flick, but otherwise ignoring that the heard the threat...but are now very delicate as they raise a paw to lightly bat the dogs.

Erina giggles softly and turns to Homura, amusement in her eyes. "They are good for cold nights too."

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:17 pm 

Norikami liked marching. Which was odd, because he hated orders, he hated people, and generally disliked all the nonsense involved in a procession.

Though he could march, for certain. And it gave his brain time to work itself out, which was something he rarely did, or even noticed he never did.

All these people walking were a great target, there was no way the Lion could protect them all, they were going to go crazy trying to make everything perfect.

He yawned a little, he wasn't sleepy, no. As soon as the enemy had been routed, he went to bed as he saw the writing on the wall already. He knew he'd need to be awake and aware in case something did actually happen.

No, he yawned because he was bored. He focused on his marching, maybe using his brain would help a little.

When Allowed: Armor, No-Dachi, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:38 pm 

Togashi Myo-en wrote:
Yogo Aya wrote:
Togashi Myo-en wrote:
Myo-en's pack is heavier than usual with Temple articles destined for the possibly-fleeting safety of Nikesake's Fortunist storerooms, but she marches stolidly all the same, using her staff for surer footing when her straw footwear slips in the icy muck.

An unusually large black crow huddles grumpily on her shoulder, semi-successfully sheltering from the rain under the edge of her wide hat. It clacks its beak and makes a rattling noise when Myo-en draws near Aya's marching position, almost as if chuckling about the eavesdropping Yogo.

"Don't be rude," the monk says absently, without looking up from a tricky patch of footing.

Aya looked over at the Togashi while she was talking to her bird.

"But why ever not? There is a certain amusement in seeing just how much it takes to upset a preciously balanced and praticed On." she asks the monk.

Myo-en looks up, swiping away a drop of mud that has splashed up to land on her cheekbone. "I have found mortal life challenges most people's balance enough without help," she says with equanimity, in a louder voice than she'd used for the crow.

The crow clacks its beak and edges further under her hat.

Matsu Kōgyoku wrote:

Myo-en clears her throat. "I think Yogo-san only suggests that you conserve what you have. There must be another Lion around here who can roar while you whisper."

Loud Lions were a zeni for a dozen in Myo-en's experience, after all. Quiet Lions... a rarer breed, though not wholly mythical.

"Pfff no." she said with a snort at the Togashi's words.

"Me telling a Lion how to execute their duties? That's worse than crow talk. At least the crow's words has some meaning to other crows, even if people find them annoying."

Yeah, no Aya did not appreciate the Togashi's attempt to "help" by suggesting she was telling the status 4 Lion what to do, and that thing to do was set aside her Duty.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:48 pm 

"Anyone can advise, even a crow." Myo-en shrugs, which causes her bird-burden to shift its grip on her shoulder and make a grumpy rattling sound in its throat. "And anyone can ignore advice, especially crows. In any case, when those higher give some tasks to those lower so that everything can be accomplished, that doesn't look to me like abandoning duty. Otherwise the high lords of the clans must learn to be in many places at once."

Myo-en's own lord might actually pull that off, but she has doubts about the other ones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:00 pm 

Togashi Myo-en wrote:
"Anyone can advise, even a crow." Myo-en shrugs, which causes her bird-burden to shift its grip on her shoulder and make a grumpy rattling sound in its throat. "And anyone can ignore advice, especially crows. In any case, when those higher give some tasks to those lower so that everything can be accomplished, that doesn't look to me like abandoning duty. Otherwise the high lords of the clans must learn to be in many places at once."

Myo-en's own lord might actually pull that off, but she has doubts about the other ones.

"Ah, but is it not said 'A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep.'?" she proposes, enjoying conversing with someone a bit more in her weight class.

"Anyone can give advice, but there's a world of difference between Togashi, monks, and mysteriously wise old peasants giving advice, and some lowly shugenja of another clan suggesting to a person of importance what they do. The story is that wisdom like Shinsei's can be found in rice cakes, not random Yogos."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"I would love to pursue some other avenues, of course, but time and circumstance do not seem to permit. Although I have been able to put some of the training from deck-work to good use. A good knot does as well on the march as on the sea."

"Even with the luxury of time I am afraid I am getting rusty when it comes to my calligraphic works, and my poetic compilations none better," he admitted with a shake of his head. "Perhaps in Nikesake I will find a spare moment to put charcoal to parchment, but in Toshi no Omoidoso such did not come to pass, though the Kakokuna Ressun Garden did make an impression enough. In any case, you are most correct, Kasuga-san: a good, tight, sturdy knot is useful as much on land as it is at sea. Have you taken to the seas at all this past season? This one did not, though I heard that the hauls brought into Slow Tide looked quite attractive from this past season's sailings."

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:17 pm 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
"Even with the luxury of time I am afraid I am getting rusty when it comes to my calligraphic works, and my poetic compilations none better," he admitted with a shake of his head. "Perhaps in Nikesake I will find a spare moment to put charcoal to parchment, but in Toshi no Omoidoso such did not come to pass, though the Kakokuna Ressun Garden did make an impression enough. In any case, you are most correct, Kasuga-san: a good, tight, sturdy knot is useful as much on land as it is at sea. Have you taken to the seas at all this past season? This one did not, though I heard that the hauls brought into Slow Tide looked quite attractive from this past season's sailings."

"I was a bit further downwind than that, cousin. Quite a bit."

He gives a bitter chuckle before continuing.

"This was supposed to be an easy assignment to help me reacclimate to home shores. But I suppose this is something of the sort, isn't it? From what I've heard of recent events, there's been a damned lot of this going on in entirely too many places."

He pauses, shifting back in tone.

"I'd imagine things are more challenging in such circumstances."

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
Wasako walked alongside the elderly man, hefting a bit clumsily the bag of turnips over one shoulder. Despite taking the load off of the man, it seemed they weren't exactly moving any faster than the rest of the refugees. She glanced forward and then backwards as some refugees began to shuffle past them. There was a part of her that started to wonder if they would find themselves meeting the rear guard soon if this kept up, or worse. Instead of voicing her concerns, she could only exchange awkward and apologetic smiles with the senior.

Spotting the dragon he talked talked to in the Bath earlier in the day start to fall beind under the weight of the burden she carried for a older man, Osamu slowed his own steps until he fell in line beside her. "Excuse me Mirumoto-san, would you mind if I tried to help a bit." He gestured down towards his scroll case, he wasn't sure if he could really help. But he could try at least.

Status: 1.0 | Glory: 2.0 | Infamy: 2.0 | Honor: What is Expected

Carries: Robes, Scroll Satchel, Wakizahi, chopsticks, odd and ends

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:31 pm 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Togashi Myo-en wrote:

"Ah, but is it not said 'A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep.'?" she proposes, enjoying conversing with someone a bit more in her weight class.

"Anyone can give advice, but there's a world of difference between Togashi, monks, and mysteriously wise old peasants giving advice, and some lowly shugenja of another clan suggesting to a person of importance what they do. The story is that wisdom like Shinsei's can be found in rice cakes, not random Yogos."

Myo-en blinks the chill out of her eyes, then looks more intently at this Yogo as they both trudge along in the light of scattered lanterns. "Lowly shugenja?" Yup, that looks like a scroll satchel. "I would guess the words of a priest of the kami might be more valuable than the thoughts of a monk, who has no special source of wisdom besides experience."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 pm 

Togashi Myo-en wrote:

Myo-en blinks the chill out of her eyes, then looks more intently at this Yogo as they both trudge along in the light of scattered lanterns. "Lowly shugenja?" Yup, that looks like a scroll satchel. "I would guess the words of a priest of the kami might be more valuable than the thoughts of a monk, who has no special source of wisdom besides experience."

Aya continued the strange battle of the worth of shugenja vs. monk with her on the monk sides, because she was really stubborn.

"That's assuming that words are granted an inherent value by the speaker of said words....Togashi-san." she argued, since they still hadn't done introductions. "If your lord compliments you on how well you shaved your head, are those words truly more valuable than the peasant's who tells you the monastery is on fire?"

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 pm 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Aya continued the strange battle of the worth of shugenja vs. monk with her on the monk sides, because she was really stubborn.

"That's assuming that words are granted an inherent value by the speaker of said words....Togashi-san." she argued, since they still hadn't done introductions. "If your lord compliments you on how well you shaved your head, are those words truly more valuable than the peasant's who tells you the monastery is on fire?"

For fuck's sake, Yogo-chan...

He'd come out of his marching reverie less than focused and started looking around for somewhere else to be. He didn't see anything interesting yet, so he marched backward a moment, and in the dark a ways off, saw something that caught his attention.

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
Wasako walked alongside the elderly man, hefting a bit clumsily the bag of turnips over one shoulder. Despite taking the load off of the man, it seemed they weren't exactly moving any faster than the rest of the refugees. She glanced forward and then backwards as some refugees began to shuffle past them. There was a part of her that started to wonder if they would find themselves meeting the rear guard soon if this kept up, or worse. Instead of voicing her concerns, she could only exchange awkward and apologetic smiles with the senior.

He grunted, letting Aya know he was leaving her side and fell back to where Wasako and the old man were.

"Oi, ojiisan, let's keep up, you don't want to become mark on some cozy courtier's census scroll."

He knelt down, glared straight forward and motioned for the elder to hop on his back for a ride.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:47 am 

Kasuga Seitouna wrote:
"I was a bit further downwind than that, cousin. Quite a bit."

He gives a bitter chuckle before continuing.

"This was supposed to be an easy assignment to help me reacclimate to home shores. But I suppose this is something of the sort, isn't it? From what I've heard of recent events, there's been a damned lot of this going on in entirely too many places."

He pauses, shifting back in tone.

"I'd imagine things are more challenging in such circumstances."

"A challenge to meet, a challenge to overcome, Seitouna-san," Asakuro responded before shifting tone and volume once more.

"As much threat as we watch outside, we must not forget what threats might lie inside as well. Shakuzai-dono will be quite interested in your documentation of events along with this one's first-hand accounts of what took place in the courtroom during the Emperor's last moments. Though almost all here have been in unison against the Steel Chrysanthemum, support for the Dear Empress is most likely lip service while the threat is most immediate. The Dear Emperor's brothers yet live; besides the Lion, with benefit of court position already, the other clans might machinate for one among their own. Even if the Legions march and the Steel Chrysanthemum is stopped, I believe it to be merely the closing of one chapter in this grand tale rather than the end of the book."

And a shift back. "So then you have not been by the capital in quite some time then? Much changed as of late, entry harder - harder still even for us, though my wife's connections made it difficult rather than impossible when it was needed. On the other hand, however, I have had many distinguished guests visit the Menagerie because of it - should you find yourself back in that area in the next season or so, my wife or I would most enjoy giving a tour to a dear cousin yet to see it for their own eyes."

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:57 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
And a shift back. "So then you have not been by the capital in quite some time then? Much changed as of late, entry harder - harder still even for us, though my wife's connections made it difficult rather than impossible when it was needed. On the other hand, however, I have had many distinguished guests visit the Menagerie because of it - should you find yourself back in that area in the next season or so, my wife or I would most enjoy giving a tour to a dear cousin yet to see it for their own eyes."

"That would be most welcome, cousin. It has been a while, indeed, and I have heard that you have made some pronounced changes. But you bring up your lady wife, so I must ask--will another sailor be joining our crew?"

And then another sotto voce comment. [color=darkblue]"I think it less likely that there will be machinations to replace then heir than that there will be efforts to determine his training and who stands as regent. The precedent set otherwise is something to be avoided. Have we not seen what happens in other lands when such has been enacted? But perhaps I am overly optimistic."

And the return. "It is always a thing to be hoped for, that there are more kin to carry on the name and the work."

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:24 am 

Osamu wrote:
Spotting the dragon he talked talked to in the Bath earlier in the day start to fall beind under the weight of the burden she carried for a older man, Osamu slowed his own steps until he fell in line beside her. "Excuse me Mirumoto-san, would you mind if I tried to help a bit." He gestured down towards his scroll case, he wasn't sure if he could really help. But he could try at least.

"Oh, Osamu-san!" she as she was surprised to see Osamu in the march. There were admitted a lot of people here and easily more strangers than familiar faces, even if most were heimen. She glanced to his scroll case at first, not knowing if he meant that he would carry his share or he could call upon the kami to help.

"...No," she said after a pause of consideration, not wanting to assume the specific. "But thank you for the generous offer, Osamu-san."

Bayushi Norikami wrote:
He grunted, letting Aya know he was leaving her side and fell back to where Wasako and the old man were.

"Oi, ojiisan, let's keep up, you don't want to become mark on some cozy courtier's census scroll."

He knelt down, glared straight forward and motioned for the elder to hop on his back for a ride.

She blinked when Norikami also appeared to help with things, this one old man was certainly getting a lot of from samurai all of a sudden. "That's rather kind of you, Bayushi-san."

Getting his things carried was one thing but the old man didn't seem too eager to get on a samurai's back, a Scorpion one at that.

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:35 am 

Matsu Erina wrote:
"Oh they will. If they don't want to say goodbye to scratches and snack time!"

Erina chuckles as she can watch the two cats ears flick, but otherwise ignoring that the heard the threat...but are now very delicate as they raise a paw to lightly bat the dogs.

Erina giggles softly and turns to Homura, amusement in her eyes. "They are good for cold nights too."

Hadena play bowed at the lion that batted at her and raced a little ways away. She yipped, her tail whipping behind her wildly. A canine grin across her face, and another bow.

Jiro, well, he tried to be serious. Yet, as a lion batted at him, he decided to try to playfully tackle the lion. He was a good bit smaller, yet he still pounced in a show of courage.

Seeing the warcats Kanade spoke, "Erina-san! Have you taken your rice today? How are your cats?" She paused, "oh I see you have a classmate with you. This one is Kanade of the Mantis." Her yukata was soaked, and hung tightly to her curves. It wasn't quite enough to be scandalous...yet, but the normal Rokugani would be freezing.

Carries: wakizashi, abacus, coin purse and satchel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:50 am 

"Relax, i'm the one who should be worried about you swimming, eh?" he smirked to the old man.

In reality he was going to growl angrily any second, but it'd be a shit thing for him to do and not very sincere of him.

"Let's, these are strange times, let's not make them any more awkward."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:31 am 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Togashi Myo-en wrote:

"But, Yogo-san... just a few mud puddles ago, didn't you suggest yourself that a monk's words might have more natural worth than words from a 'lowly shugenja'? In the dark, face a pale blob under the wide brim of her hat, Myo-en arches an eyebrow with a curious air.

"If I didn't know the gravity of a priest's calling, and how learned a shugenja must be, I might wonder if Yogo-san is disagreeing with me for the sake of argument. To build heat on a cold night, maybe."

The flare of the crow's wings mantling to shake off the icy rain only partly obscures Myo-en's smile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next