It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Post subject: Worn Out Faces [Day 3, Late Evening, 1 Spot Open]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:22 pm 

Degarashi returned to his quarters feeling... marginally better. After exposing himself to the elements, it was to be expected, but it was hard to maintain his On when his body was thoroughly protesting every movement it made. Fortunately, within his own quarters, that was unnecessary.

As he opened the door, he relaxed his control of his demeanor, the bland features of his face showing strain where there had been none prior, his movements carefully directed and slightly stiff, as if directed by a puppeteer fearing the last performance of his favorite doll. But still he moved.

Working in silence, Degarashi packed up the contents of a room as bland as he, bearing few embellishments or personal accoutrements beyond what might be strictly necessary at a moment's notice.

This did, however, include so many specific items one could assume he was about to pass into the wilderness alone as easily as take the march to Nikesake.

Degarashi liked to be prepared.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: Worn Out Faces [Day 3, Late Evening, 1 Spot Open]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:48 pm 

Yukarin had already packed everything up earlier in the evening. She even had it all on her back in a nice neat orderly pack, like one would expect from a merchant. Still, that didn't mean she was going to leave immediately, and soon Degarashi would hear a polite little rapping, unusually, at the frame to his room's door.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:55 pm 

Degarashi glanced over his shoulder, his On slithering back into place as he regarded his sudden guest. Recognizing Yukarin, he turned from his pack to bow in greeting. "Ah, Yukarin-sama, konbonwa. Thank you for your assistance with today's performance."

Degarashi's pack was mostly full, but still looked like something out of a zombie apocalypse film. Cooking pot, flint, rope, grappling hook...

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:00 pm 

"Mmmm mmm. Well, hopefully it worked how I wanted to as well in the end, neh? I could hardly beat advertising like that, if you'll pardon me for being so blunt about that."

She set down her pack so she could bow deeply.

"How is your packing going? Would you like any assistance?"

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:08 pm 

"Nothing to pardon, Yukarin-sama. If I had issue with your demeanor, it would have been your nose greeting my fan."

Degarashi looked over at his traveling pack, feeling one of the muscles in his leg contract painfully in protest. "Mm, I would not be inclined to turn down any assistance you feel inclined to offer. The Lion held no protest against my show, but my legs are a different matter entirely."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:14 pm 

Yukarin nodded and walked into the room, "I can even make it so the weight is distributed evenly so your legs won't have to put so much work in. Let us see..."

She took a seat cross legged on the floor, hand on one knee of her kimono as she looked over the assembled items like some sort of puzzle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:20 pm 

Degarashi sighed in relief. "I never imagined myself saying this, but my legs are in your debt."

To assist the process, Degarashi pulled out everything he'd packed so far, assuming Yukarin might have a better method for storing them all. It was not a short list of items...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:38 pm 

"It's no problem; When you spend most of your life traveling, you learn to pack well. Call it an expertise of the Unicorn. It only makes sense to share it. Now let's see..."

As she looked over things, she kept speaking, "I thought your performance was hilarious by the way. And I don't even know as much about the way the different Families and Clans are known yet as most Rokugani I would think."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 pm 

"A very useful expertise to have in the current situation though."

Degarashi smiled. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. When employing the art of humor, one never knows if the audience will experience satisfaction or demand it." He chuckled. "Knowing the habits of the other clans and families is a primary focus of my training. To become a role, one must understand the role." And it seemed Degarashi understood many, as he possessed enough clothing, costumes, mons, and accessories to look like practically anyone in the city, gender notwithstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:48 pm 

"I bet that's interesting research; I'd love to learn more about the different Clans and Families, their histories, what people associate with them and important events... that kind of thing. But then, I could also say I'd love to be a comedian; Something about making people laugh and smile is just my sort of thing, even if I know that's not exactly seen as something important here in the Empire."

As she talked she moved things around, sorting slowly and thoughtfully.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 pm 

Degarashi pursed his lips, considering his words. "Acting in a role is not, in itself, a matter of historical accuracy or lore. Observe the same play performed by three troupes and you will observe three different stories, often favoring the hosting clan. Rather, it is a matter of knowing the culture of the role, their biases and favors, small eccentricities of behavior. It's more an art of observing, learning, and absorbing the essence of one's intended role than it is about understanding what went into creating that essence. If that makes sense." He blushed, realizing he'd gone on endlessly about his philosophies. Again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 pm 

"Still, there IS a matter of truth about them, even if it's one based on exaggerations and such. I know enough about humor and acting to know that. Well, the kinds of acting and humor I'm familiar with at least. I hear Noh is the opposite in that it's understated in the way it depicts things, but I've never seen a Noh play before."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:16 pm 

"Are you missing out? Noh." Degarashi's eyes held more of the mirth of that statement than his smile, but it was there nonetheless. "I haven't had many opportunities to speak openly about my craft, so I apologize if I begin to ramble. I'm quite used to being... overshadowed."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 pm 

"Rambling is good! It means you're saying what you really want, not letting hesitation get in the way! I mean, I get that there needs to be a certain filter between the two, but too many people overthink things and end up not saying what they want, in the end."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 pm 

Degarashi nodded, stifling a chuckle, then thinking better of it and allowing himself the slip of etiquette. He doubted Yukarin would judge him for it at this point. "I wonder what life would be in the empire if more of us felt as you do." He frowned, trying to sort out a particularly complex costume which had gotten itself tangled up with another.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:55 pm 

"Different, I guess. But hopefully not TOO different. I'm all for things growing and moving on, but there is a lot that is charming about the Empire and its customs and traditions. Everything in moderation though. ...I think that's from the Tao; I never even tried to memorize it like my parents wanted to."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:09 pm 

"Indeed, I've been told the empire stands as it does now for very important reasons. It's never good to sacrifice the heart of the role for the sake of interpretation." Checking progress, Degarashi noticed that the pack was now almost back to half full. "You work at an impressive pace, Yukarin-sama."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:14 pm 

"Time is money, but it is also many other things. For instance, the sooner I have this packed, the sooner I can grab a bite to eat before I go, neh?"

She went to humming as she worked, a tune Degrashi certainly wouldn't have heard before, but pleasant never-the-less.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 pm 

Degarashi's stomach growled, reminding him that in all the confusion following his performance, he'd forgotten to eat anything himself.

"Ah, always practical I see. Do you mind if I ask about that tune you're humming? I've never heard it before."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:30 pm 

"Hm? Oh, it's just something I remember from growing up. Mother called it 'Murasaki's Song', but I'm not really sure about much more than that. She used to hum it to soothe the horses... something my humming it never seemed to do, mind you. Still, that doesn't mean it doesn't hold nice memories."