It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: D3 LE - Governor's Address (Open)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:25 am 

"Sounds like quite the....partnership."

"Have you always been a hunter, or is it a new tasking for you?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 am 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"Sounds like quite the....partnership."

"Have you always been a hunter, or is it a new tasking for you?"

Aya shrugged.

"My second posting. After my gempukku, I was assigned to the the Scorpion military for support and healing. Not really my forte, but well....it was a last minute decision after the tragedy in Ryoko Owari Toshi." she admits.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:31 am 

"You'll have to enlighten me, if you care to. What happened at the City of Lies?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 am 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"You'll have to enlighten me, if you care to. What happened at the City of Lies?"

"Saaaa...." Aya let out an exhalation. It was an old wound now, but it still hurt. "There was...a dispute over the governorship of the city. There were four candidates for the position. At first it was merely a political disagreement, but when words proved insufficient to sway everyone things started to escalate. Duels, thefts, violence, things rapidly got out of control, and there was no one in a position of authority to stop it...or merely they didn't care to."

She paused a moment gathering herself up.

"Finally, some supporters of a faction decided the best way to decide things was by whipping the peasantry up into a rebellion. Tensions had been running high for sometime, and it didn't take too much nudging to unleash a wave of senseless violence. Guards overrun and torn limb from limb. A prominent noble hanged like a common criminal. I was lucky. I was away at Shiro Yogo completing my gempukku. What remained of my family was in Ryoko Owari meeting my fiancee for the first time"

A final pause.

"From what I'm told...he died bravely alongside my family as the peasants broke into the house, killed everyone and stole everything. I never met the man, and the offer of marriage was withdrawn by his family....but I still like to think that he was family, even if he never officially was."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:46 am 

Mogami sat in stunned silence for a few seconds.

"That is quite a lot to take in. My condolences for your misfortune."

She takes in a breath and sighs.

"Much of the empire has seen similar chaos as what you described. I wonder what the reasons the heavens have for putting us through such tests."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:54 am 

That comment provokes a small chuckle from the Yogo.

"My apologies, suddenly Tani-san's comment about an impious priest makes more sense." she says.

"It is commonly taught...that the mortal mind is not meant to know the Will of Heaven. Our sole conduit for such wisdom is derived from the Emperor.....then again, that did not stop him from getting stabbed by the returned spirit of a different Emperor. I think, perhaps, the best we can do is worry about the here and now. Let Heaven have it's unknowable wisdom. We have Duty to fulfill, and when that is over, when we stand in Emma-O's court, we can ask him."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:59 am 

"You have a good point. I guess sometimes it's just nice to have a reason for things. Makes the mind be at ease."

Some inner thought makes Mogami's eyes go dark.

"Do you think we will get a chance to even see him if one of these toshigoku bastards fells us, or would we just join their ranks sometime later when the next wave comes through the portal?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:43 am 

It was an interesting question from a Matsu. There were reportedly a lot of Matsu coming through.

"Well, from what it sounds like, the returned spirits attacking us come from Toshigoku. It's important to remember that only those souls consumed by bloodlust in their dying moments are condemned to Toshigoku. While it may be disheartening to see many Matsu in their ranks, it does not mean it's the fate that awaits most, or even many Matsu. As long as you are fighting for honor, for duty, rather than for the thrill of killing, your soul should pass honorably to the next incarnation with little difficulty."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:45 am 

Mogami nods, a show of relief washing over her.

"Thank you for the reassurance. I wasn't sure if it was like other things that if touched automatically damn you. That thought terrifies me. To have a fate you can't be redeemed from. To become lost forever, unable to return from the Wheel, or ascend to Yomi..."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:51 am 

"As it is commonly understood, that is not something that should be possible from Toshigoku. It's a rather simple realm dedicated to endless slaughter. It's denizens are filled with violence, and resistance to damage, and little else."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:54 am 

After waiting patiently, Iko approaches the Governor and waits to be recognized.

Carries: Daisho, Yumi (where appropriate)
Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:43 am 

"Not too resistant though. Between my Budoka and I, we fell at least twenty of their numbers. It's nice to know that the bastards die like anyone else. I'm not sure what we would have needed to do it they were unable to be harmed by our arrows. We probably wouldn't be having this conversation, I suppose."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:51 am 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"Not too resistant though. Between my Budoka and I, we fell at least twenty of their numbers. It's nice to know that the bastards die like anyone else. I'm not sure what we would have needed to do it they were unable to be harmed by our arrows. We probably wouldn't be having this conversation, I suppose."

Aya nods.

"Nor would we had this morning's monster finished me off. I suppose you could take some solace in the fact that the Heavens do not put before us what we cannot possibly overcome." she muses.

"Although, they do die, their insistence on attacking in this weather, seemingly heedless of food or shelter is troubling."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:55 am 

"You have a point there. However, that does seem to go against the teaching of Shinsei, no? Fortune favors the mortal man. If the heavens always know the outcome, fortune can never favor us. "

She shrugs at the statement, and then continues.

"To be honest, I was surprised they retreated at all. I thought their tactic to be to overwhelm us with bodies until we physically could not move anymore. I almost imagine these beasts would continue crawling at you to bite your ankles if you just cut their legs and arms off."

Last edited by Matsu Mogami on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 am 

Aya looked thoughtful at that.

"Hm. I would liken it to being attacked by a pack of dogs actually. Vicious, unrelenting....until their Master whistles, and they run back to him." she proposed.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:01 am 

"But how does he yet retain such control? I have no doubt that he should be destroyed, but one has to wonder, if he is able to retain sanity, many will claim his cause just."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 am 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"But how does he yet retain such control? I have no doubt that he should be destroyed, but one has to wonder, if he is able to retain sanity, many will claim his cause just."

Aya shrugged.

"Well of course. They have lots of stupid reasons: they don't like a Lion Empress, they think he couldn't come back and kill the Emperor if he didn't have the favor of Heaven, they're hoping they kill each other and they can put someone else in. With enough sake, I"m sure I too could come up with many more reasons. But, for me, this whole deciding who sits on the throne is way above my level of responsibility. I personally feel that things like inheritance and position flow downard whenever possible, sideways when it can't, and only back up with no other choice. "

She stretched for a moment.

"As for how he exerts control, maybe it's like how there's a difference between a mortal falling to jigoku and something more than mortal falling to jigoku. " she said, careful not to actually invoke the dark brother's name. "Or maybe they're not as mindless of killing machines as we think. That buried somewhere deep down they believe they kill in the name of their Emperor."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 am 

"I agree with you, this decision is pretty much already decided. Anything subverting it is just a waste of everyone's time. But, I will continue to voice my support for the Empress because if we don't, then the crazies go unchecked....and that can lead to bad things. Like an orange guerilla leading the land. Or something."

Mogami gives Aya a slight frown again at the mention of Jigoku.

"That....is a very terrifying thought, Yogo-san. Not that they believe he is their emperor, I suppose that makes sense, but the first...."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 am 

Aya grins a bit.

"Well, I try to make sure I never meet something terrifying beyond imagination. It helps if you're prepared to go, 'Of course it was filled with bees, why wouldn't it be?' instead of "Ahhh! Bees!' Gives you a better chance of fighting back."

"But it does make for a fascinating mental experiment, about what it means to be Emperor. Head of the government and Head of all religion are easy concepts to gasp but, 'The link between our world and the Heavens' is much more interesting. What does that actually mean, and how is it transferred? Is it lost upon death? But not very practical questions, and again, very far above my position."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 am 

"A good philosophy. I'll have to remember that when I am teaching people how to fight."

"Mine as well. I have only just started being taught the Tao and learning about spiritual matters from Shugenja. Otherwise, my guide in life has been the tenants of bushido and Leadership"

Mogami glances over at the Dragon waiting to address the Governor.

"I wonder what she wants?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next