It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:34 pm

Post subject: [Day Three - Early Evening] Lost Opportunity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:39 pm 

News had travelled throughout the Toshi that the defenders had been successful at stopping but it was ultimately a hollow victory. With the evacuation underway, Wasako packed everything she owned in preparation for the move. She didn't have much, which only meant that she had two able hands to help.

As she made her way down from the Shiro, she found herself passing by the Kakokuna Ressun gardens. There was that red light in the distance she could see from the grounds which made her question if she was looking at the setting sun or the sign of an ominous impeding doom. It didn't seem like the former late Hantei was looking to be subtle.

She then took her sights back to look at the gardens before her. This was likely the last chance she would see this place and would likely hear about anyone's success at courting the kenku. A momentary lapse in her thoughts made her wonder what would become of the kenku, if it were actually ever here?

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

Post subject: Re: [Day Three - Early Evening] Lost Opportunity
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:13 am 

There was another standing in the garden, staring off into the distance at the glowing red light. A pack sat on the ground by his side as his mind raced with thoughts of the threat approaching. Sounds of shouting from around the city bled through the air as people were making way to the exits in preparation for the evacuation.

Noticing the entrance of the Dragon to the garden, he gave a nod.

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:55 am 

The Dragon straightened in her posture when she noticed the other samurai in the gardens and an important one at that. She postured into a deep bow to acknowledge him, half-wondering if she needed to move on, "Good evening, Ryuuta-sama. I hope I'm not interrupting...?"

It was hard to tell what she was exactly interrupting if anything at all. It wasn't like he was there to appreciate nature or a moment of beauty, considering the ominous red light and the screams in the distance. Basic formalities seemed a bit extraneous at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:55 am 

"Of course you are not Mirumoto-san. Good evening," he replies. The good in good evening seemed a bit hollow given the circumstances, but he did wish the evening to be good.

"I am simply watching and waiting. As soon as the evacuation begins I'll be moving with the rear guard. But I figured I may as well spend remaining time in the city in a place that is relatively tranquil."

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:01 am 

"Relatively tranquil, yes," she said with a nod as she looked at her surroundings. There weren't exactly too many refugees trying to find refuge here or locals who were packing in a panic. Despite the enemy at the gates, they seemed so far away here but the red light was a blatant remember that they weren't too far away.

"I think that was part of the reason why I found making finding some pause here. I might miss this place once I leave it," she said before remembering to introduce herself. "This one is Mirumoto Wasako, of the Northern Wall Mountains."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:24 am 

"Ryuuta Kin, magistrate of the Piranha," he introduces pausing.

"I've only ever passed through the garden here. Never really stopped to appreciate it. And now I can't truly do so with that glow on the horizon. All my time here spent helping those that need it or preparing for the struggles to come. It is infuriating to me that I am not strong enough to simply march against them myself and end the threat to the people of the empire. Disappointing that my life isn't enough to earn peace for those that have done nothing to deserve this conflict. Frustrating that I am too selfish to accept my limited capabilities. I was hoping that the tranquility here could calm the chaos I feel inside, but I can't stop staring at the threat."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:36 am 

She regarded the man curiously, especially when he laid everything about himself so openly. It was something she might have expected from a local but it was peculiar from a Ryuuta? Then again, she had barely known much about them except their family name. "I think it would be more concerning if you found actual calm here now, Ryuuta-sama. I've done my share of meditating the cold and other less optimal places but it's probably easier to find peace when you know it's still within your grasp. It's clear that there is chaos here. I don't know much about it but its ability to rob tranquillity itself is already bewildering."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:48 am 

"Meditation. I tried that once." Shrugging at that. "And my mind was as quiet as a busy village during harvest season."

"The stories of the Dragon suggest that your clan are masters of meditation. Under waterfalls, balancing with one foot on the tops of poles, on windy, snow-covered peaks... very skilled at meditation according to popular stories."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:18 am 

She gave a slow shake of her head. "It's admittedly not for everyone. I suppose we find it in our pastimes but I can't speak for all of my kinsmen. We often find ourselves remote from each other that each pockets of Dragon could come out with our own customs and reasons. It is the monks who are best known for their meditation. They make for great stories, even at home, perhaps told by our courtiers to make meditation is more mystical than it really is. It's not to say that it's not...sometimes the experience alone to be able to retreat into the refuge of the mind is wonderous in itself. You merely show a greater mastery if you're able to do it anywhere, which admittedly I've attempted from time to time."

Just now didn't seem like the right time. It was the right place, which was perhaps the greater tragedy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:30 am 

"I find that the best way for me to center myself is to practice with my sword. Repetition, counting, burning muscles and feeling my heartbeat. It all pulls my mind away from whatever mental stress I'm dealing with to the physical stress of training."

"So, what duty do you have up in the Norther Wall Mountains?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:47 am 

"Of course, physical exercise is also good for concentration. I personally would like to think that both physical and mental are very much linked, as you know. Meditation perhaps has a more subtle effect on the body but I do practice the sword to find my centre as well," she nodded, perhaps finding herself a bit more distracted from the glaring red light more now.

"There isn't really a whole lot to do there but I act as an assistant to my sensei and teaching the next generation of students in our way of the sword."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:57 am 

"An assistant sensei? You must be quite skilled with the sword. What brought you way down here away from your students?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 am 

"I can be skilled with the sword," she said with a faint smile. Admittedly, she had been outdone by a Scorpion recently. "At the end of the day, I am still a student of my sensei and not everything can be taught in the dojo. If I were to continue on my path on becoming a sensei, it would make sense if I were to pick up more worldly experiences abroad. Our ways don't exactly do much good until they are actually applied to all situations. You can't achieve true fluidity by mere repetition and theory."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 am 

"I imagine I would have benefited from a bit of theory and repetition. When you only have experience it can be hard to fit it into any sort of cohesive framework. Although it seems like you're about to get plenty of opportunity for that real world experience. Likely more than you expected when you began your journey." He suspects that Wasako is also in for the worst life experience she's ever had. Kin was keenly aware of the pain caused by seeing dozens of your friends and allies losing their lives by your side.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:52 pm 

"Perhaps," she said with a nod, "but without knowing much about your life, I imagine you must have figured in knowing what experiences to turn into lesson and while knowing which ones to not put too much stake on. Your nomination as a magistrate must have proven that much, Ryuuta-sama. We are easily constantly learning and pick up so much around us. Many of those lessons are valuable while others may have us focusing on other aspects. I suppose it's knowing which ones you require to grow in and those you've might have outgrown along time ago."

She gave a shrug, a bit lost in the situation. "I'm sure my sensei knew there were experiences to be had to them and it's likely warfare is one those he wanted to me to learn from the Lion. I don't know if he mean being in a war such as this one."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:28 pm 

"I never really thought about what lessons were important or not. Me and my brother simply split responsibilities with each other while we wandered through life. I focused more on investigative concerns and he on being a more capable warrior. None of it was part of any great plan though. We simply wanted to make a living while helping the heimin that suffered around us. Nothing was organized or sensical back then."

"And it's unfortunate you'll be learning more of warfare through first-hand experience. It can be the most painful experience one can earn."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 pm 

"Often, practical matters are the larger lessons in life. Training to become a better bushi, contemplating the value of honour or helping heimen in both your cases would easily fall into great lessons. I suppose the less important lessons I speak of would be more akin to wondering what to eat for lunch or thinking deeply on why someone chose to regard you by your chosen name instead of your family name are likely lessons that needn't surpass your given time. Perhaps lousy examples but just ones I can think of for now. They are all valued experiences but some people could actually commit their lives to such matters."

"Hai..." She nodded soundly. "I think a few have mentioned that much already. No one should live atop a mountain their whole lives without knowing the jagged rocks below or the man-eating bear close by."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 pm 

"I just know I'm relieved that I have to worry less about if I'll get to eat lunch. I don't think I've ever wondered about what I'll eat for lunch because of that. Go a few days without food because you just don't have any, and you never worry about quality or variety again. My brother and I subsisted on wild onions for a week once. It was the best week of food I've ever had."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:17 pm 

It was rather obvious now to Wasako where Kin was coming from, considering how the Ryuuta were newly found. "I'm sure it was a very lucky find but was there a risk involved. I'm kind of feel reminded of the bored students who roam the hills in their spare time to pick wild berries from the shrubs...with varying degrees of success and effects. I don't think there are any risks to onions, however. It's unfortunately they don't take to that instead."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:49 pm 

"Not really any risk with wild onion. We found a good sized patch and roasted them over a campfire. But in the shinomen we have plenty of berries as well. Berries, especially dewberries, are common around the city. What kind do you have near home?"