It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The evacuation part 2 (D3 LN open)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:04 pm 

As the march trudges onward, Mogami keeps her position with her budoka near the rear, constantly watching the horizon for any harassing forces she may pick off with her bow. The darkness of the night however does not grant her much visibility.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 pm 

Matsu Kōgyoku was there, doing what was expected of her... and what she expected of herself as a Lion magistrate amid a wartime evacuation of a Lion city.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:59 pm 

Kayou salutes and approaches Kōgyoku. "May this one be of any aid, Matsu-sama?"

Carries: Prayer Beads, satchel with writing supplies.

Description
Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:03 am 

Kōgyoku pondered the matter after a bow. "Have the relics from the temples been evacuated by their respective clergies, or are they staying in the city?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:12 am 

The old tune came to mind unbidden, but it helped to pass the time. He'd picked it up years and years ago now while helping some merchants deliver goods on a long journey.

"They see me haulin', all laden'
Patrollin' and tryna catch me bright and early
Tryna catch me bright and early
My mule is so loud, I'm understanding'
They hopin' that they gon' catch me bright and early
"

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:16 am 

The Asako hero rolled his shoulders and then exposed his left arm which had the start of a detailed tattoo sleeve, he allowed it to breathe exposing his toned upper body, the left side at least, with scars from his many battles.

The rain ran down his bare skin as he continued his march.

Status: 4.0 | Glory: 10.0 | Infamy: .4 | Honor: Untrustworthy
Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 am 

Matsu Kōgyoku wrote:
Kōgyoku pondered the matter after a bow. "Have the relics from the temples been evacuated by their respective clergies, or are they staying in the city?"

Kayou gestured to Kodama and the monks' wagon he was accompanying. "They have taken what they though was vital. This one does not think that even the spirits are crazed enough to provoke the elemental dragons."

Carries: Prayer Beads, satchel with writing supplies.

Description
Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:47 am 

Asako Kashiwagi wrote:
The Asako hero rolled his shoulders and then exposed his left arm which had the start of a detailed tattoo sleeve, he allowed it to breathe exposing his toned upper body, the left side at least, with scars from his many battles.

The rain ran down his bare skin as he continued his march.

Squish. Squish. Squish. Walking along in a water wonderland.....

Aya noted the phoenix colors....well at least on one sleeve. The bare arm seemed to have fresh ink on it.

Huh. I wonder if that's who the Dragon was working on? she mused.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 am 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Squish. Squish. Squish. Walking along in a water wonderland.....

Aya noted the phoenix colors....well at least on one sleeve. The bare arm seemed to have fresh ink on it.

Huh. I wonder if that's who the Dragon was working on? she mused.

The Asako hero was used to being the center of attention and if he was being watched or admired or just gawked at, well that just came with being Asako Kashiwagi, destroyer of Corruption, Hero of Ryoko Owari, Vanquisher of Naga Champions... and so on and forth. He was engaged in a conversation or maybe telling a tale to gathered Lion samurai.

By the end of the jaunty tale, which seemed to be about two rascals, a great hero, and a warrior princess storming a hidden castle they cheered and laughed at the antics. The story had lost treasures, and hijinks, and a duel between old friends now rivals... it was something.

More importantly it was a true tale of heroism of a Lion hero, Akodo Nakadai, the Steel Hand of Long Grain village. The great hero of the tale.

OOC: A historical tale retold to the Lion.

Lion History Lore + Sage with a Raise + Void: 6d10o10k5-5 32

Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:03 am 

Asako Kashiwagi wrote:
The Asako hero was used to being the center of attention and if he was being watched or admired or just gawked at, well that just came with being Asako Kashiwagi, destroyer of Corruption, Hero of Ryoko Owari, Vanquisher of Naga Champions... and so on and forth. He was engaged in a conversation or maybe telling a tale to gathered Lion samurai.

By the end of the jaunty tale, which seemed to be about two rascals, a great hero, and a warrior princess storming a hidden castle they cheered and laughed at the antics. The story had lost treasures, and hijinks, and a duel between old friends now rivals... it was something.

More importantly it was a true tale of heroism of a Lion hero, Akodo Nakadai, the Steel Hand of Long Grain village. The great hero of the tale.

OOC: A historical tale retold to the Lion.

Lion History Lore + Sage with a Raise + Void: 6d10o10k5-5 32

The story wasn't really to Aya's taste. Far too many hijinks, not enough tragedy. It was more like a story she was told as a child by her parents....when they were still alive. Hijinx had sort of lost their appeal over the years. Still, Aya was not the target audience, the miserable Lion were, and she could appreciate the skill of one who could bolster the morale of those facing such tragedy so readily. Definitely not something she could do.

"A well told tale. You know, I was always told you were marching too fast if no one was talking. Do you have a story for each step of the journey to Nikesake I wonder?"

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:09 am 

The Asako hero chuckled and said, "The Lion have ten thousand heroes, and thus ten thousand tales... for every step we take."

"Perhaps you would prefer a Scorpion story?"

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:18 am 

Asako Kashiwagi wrote:
The Asako hero chuckled and said, "The Lion have ten thousand heroes, and thus ten thousand tales... for every step we take."

"Perhaps you would prefer a Scorpion story?"

Aya smiled at that.

"So you know at least ten thousand Lion stories and at least one Scorpion one?" she asks, her own mood brightened a bit by the man's good cheer. "By all means, I'm curious to see what you offer as a Scorpion story."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:55 am 

The Asako hero considered the Scorpion before him and then said, “I can speak of Bayushi Miyokasu a magistrate operating in a Scorpion province perhaps two centuries back. She was a hard nosed woman, all sharp features and stern demeanor, but loyal beyond measure. Indeed her Loyalty was legendary, when her Lord came to her one night she made her swear to protect the Lord’s heir as if they were her own.”

“She agreed and watched over the boy and when the Lord passed under suspicious circumstances she fulfilled the words to the letter. The province passed to the Lord’s husband, a wicked man who took a new wife and soon had a new heir to be, and wanted the old heir out of the way so he plotted to murder the child.”

“Miyokasu caught wind of this plot and acted first, she gathered her most loyal yoriki and then snuck into the home of her new Lord and cut a bloody path through the family, first the new wife, who was with child. Then those retainers who had agreed to the plot and then finally the new Lord, in a deadly garden duel, which she claimed victory. At sunrise she had her yoriki swear to protect the boy and then committed seppeku to discharge her oath, she protected the boy but also acted in cold blood.”

“She was loyal till the end,” he finished.

OOC: Here we go.

Scorpion History Heroes Lore: 5d10o10k4 32

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:14 am 

Aya titled her head at that story.

"Huuhh. It's interesting how tales change in the telling. I remember a similar story, that I believe I was told was the story of Bayushi Mikosaku, the magistrate who protected her lord's son....but it was considerably different in the middle. The version I heard started with the vow to protect the son, and ended with her death." she remarks.

"But in the version I heard, she was the one who married the wicked lord. Though she became pregnant many times, she kept miscarrying. Meanwhile, she united her husband's family's wealth and power within her estate...and then poisoned her husband...and when her charge was ready to inherit, she poisoned herself."

She shrugged.

"Of course, your version is much more in vogue these days, but it's how my grandparents told me the story long ago, and they were traditional people."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:17 am 

"So then Yogo-san, which is the true tale?" he asked.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:30 am 

She smiled a bit.

"Literally true? Hard to say. I'm not quite old enough to have been there. Generally, if one is going to go about avenging their lord, they don't take the time to document the steps carefully." she admitted.

She stepped around a particularly large puddle.

"I think the more important thing is that Duty must be served. The exact particulars of how it was fulfilled are less important that the fact that you do not turn away from fulfilling it, no matter the cost."

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:33 am 

"I suppose as a child of fire I do like the candle that burns bright and quickly... but I do appreciate the slow burn of your version... the fire kami are appeased for longer but in a slower measure and fire kami are voracious," he mused with a chuckle.

"She was the model of Duty and Loyalty."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:45 am 

Aya nods.

"On that we can agree. For a child of fire, you seem to be enduring all this water quite well." she mused.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:53 am 

Eventually the song just got too repetitive and so Kodama give his fellow monks a reprieve.

As tales of heroes begin spreading along the column, the monk of heroes spins a tale of his own.

"Years and years ago, oh, 308 the way the Isawa record time, our destination got started. The Sapphire Legion, a unit of Phoenix that formed to honor the Phoenix's friendship with the Crane took up residence there and made camp."

"Why, you might ask? Well, in the spirit of that friendship they stood in the way of the Lion, who wished to attack the Crane. And it was there that Nikesake grew. They built a castle there, to withstand the might of the Matsu. It's said that Asahina, while he was still one of the Asahina, lived there, centuries ago."

He made sure the next part was clear, "It was there, during a time of famine, that the Phoenix organized an effort to feed the Empire. For their temerity, Hantei XVI had the Seppun raze the city to the ground. Imagine that. Someone who would dare feed the people of the Empire, insulted the Steel Chrysanthemum so much, the monster would burn the city to the ground. I imagine one such as he will hold a grudge against a city the rebuilt itself."

A shake of the head, "The tale I'd tell is of Shiba Umo. Who rebuilt the first building on those grounds out of the ashes. Mixed the clay and the ashes and made a foundation of bricks. It was a simple building, to store rice and water, so that those who would be coming to Nikesake for food, who had not yet heard of what happened, would not have to leave empty handed."

A smile. "She waited all of a week since the razing to start to build. The guard, a token force of four left behind, tried to stop her. They did not understand how she would dare to stand up against someone so mighty, someone so powerful. But she simply knew what was right."

"At first, only one of them bared a blade to try and cut Shiba Umo down. This first fell, under the shovel that Shiba Umo had been working with to mix the clay and ash. The second, unbelieving, drew blade. This one managed to cut the Shiba just under the left eye. But died upon Umo's now drawn wakizashi."

He pauses a moment to take a drink of flask, ever so small. "The other two came at her at once, seeing her wounded. But they forgot a very important thing. When you build with a heavy brick foundation, you dig so you can support the foundation from beneath. And in the fight that followed, first one and then the second fell as they lost their footing in the skirmish. Some say that Shiba Umo cut the boards from beneath their feet. Others that the earth kami themselves were angry at those who had burned the city they had long supported."

"Either way, those four guard had been the last left behind. It's said this building is lost, hidden away in the city that got built up around it. But their ghosts are tied to it. Ever to make sure that the works of Shiba Umo are never burned again. For the blood of all five are mixed into that foundation of clay and ash. And it was there that the Shiba fed those that came back to the city's razed grounds. From there did they rebuild. Like the Phoenix they take as their namesake, they rebuilt Nikesake."

Telling a story: Lore: History (Heroes) 37

“We tell the tale of heroes to remind ourselves that we also can be great.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:08 am 

Yogo Aya wrote:
Aya nods.

"On that we can agree. For a child of fire, you seem to be enduring all this water quite well." she mused.

"It would take a legendary deluge to snuff out this flame," he retorted.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next