It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:18 pm

Post subject: [D2LM] Memory
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:39 pm 

Touki wasn't superstitious... well, not exactly. But a dutiful Lion still gave devotions to those who came before, regardless of whether they would curse you or not.

Or strike you down with blades.

Still, Touki knelt, his face even more severe than usual. He bent, touching his forehead to the floor in the appointed spot, before rising again, stiffly. Grimacing, he rolled his shoulders, his daywear kimono shifting somewhat unwillingly; he really should get a new one. Kimiko would have seen to it, I'm sure. His gaze went distant as he drifted into reverie, all too easy to do in the quiet shrine...

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

Post subject: Re: [D2LM] Memory
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:26 pm 

Regardless of what she thought about local superstitions (not much) it was a worthy task to honour one's ancestors (the bushi at least). And so it was that an Iron Crane joined an Akodo for morning prayers.

Her footfalls were calm and measured. Loud enough to announce her presence but not so loud as to be distracting. It was a delicate balance, but she was a Crane so it would all work out perfectly in the end. She did not wish to surprise a Lion...

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 pm 

Tetsuko would get a bit farther than she might expect before Touki shook his head and turned. He stared at her a moment, uncomprehending, until the fog of distant reminiscence left his gaze.

"Daidoji-sama." Touki bowed. "This one is Akodo Touki. Welcome to the Shrine of Remembrance." His voice was a low monotone, although whether unemotional or simply unexpressive was hard to say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 pm 

The bow was returned with crisp precision.

"Akodo-sama. Well met. This one is Daidoji Tetsuko and she thanks you for your welcome."

Whatever prayers were being offered by the Lion were his business, it was not her place to ask. So she knelt an appropriate distance from both the Akodo and the shrine and took a few long breaths. The ambience of the place was far more soothing than the story of the samurai to whom it was dedicated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:21 am 

Again, Touki bowed. "Please let me know if there is anything you need. I am no monk, obviously." A hint of a smile at that. "But still, I have been in this city long enough to be familiar with a bit of the history of this place, and the legend surrounding it."

He went back to gazing off into the middle distance, although not quite so distantly as before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 am 

Tetsuko smiled and flicked her eyes across to the Lion. "That would be most kind Akodo-sama. I have heard the stories of course, but, if it is not too distracting to you... Would you tell me what they mean to your people?"

She bowed to the shrine and then shifted her position to watch the man's response. He seemed appropriately solemn for a samurai she had met in prayer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:37 am 

"Hmmm." Touki's chin tilted up. "You ask a more difficult question than I had anticipated, Daidoji-sama. I can repeat the legend to you, but I was not told what it means to others. I shall have to give my own thoughts."

He turned back towards the main part of the shrine. "Matsu Hitomi was a hero to us. When her superior and brother was killed, she took his place. She pursued battle against first the Crab, and then against the Dragon, when a commander of the latter sought to turn her against the Lion."

A pause for breath, and then Touki continued. "Her lover, Akodo Godaigo, had been tasked with bringing her to justice. But during the confrontation, his lieutenant used dark magic to give her a death curse. Godaigo became a ronin in his disgrace."

He turned back to Tetsuko, frowning thoughtfully. "I confess, it is not easy to find a meaning besides admiration for one who put her duty to her Clan, to our Clan, above all else. Perhaps you have a thought on the matter, miss?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:37 pm 

She listened to the sound of his voice, noting a little more life than had been apparent earlier. A slight bow was offered in appreciation for the man's thoughts. After a few moments she replied.

"I would humbly suggest that meaning is ascribed by one's own experiences. It is an interesting demonstration of the complexities of bushido, Akodo-sama."

Her eyes met his. "Duty. Courage. Sincerity. Honour. All are present in this tale. Love and sacrifice too." There was even some dark magic in there, but such things were not a suitable topic for polite conversation.

"It is a good story."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:08 pm 

Touki's eyes met hers steadily. His On was good, and his voice gave little away, but his eyes were expressive.

He turned away before she would learn much, however. "Hmmm. You're right. It touches on many of the samurai virtues." His expression softened, just a little. "And love. I've sometimes wondered why love is so often made important in the stories we tell, but is considered by many to be a tragic failing. Romantic love, that is."

He cleared his throat, still studying the texts. "I hope my rambling is not untoward, miss."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:12 am 

Tetsuko shook her head almost imperceptibly. "Romantic love is not a failing Akodo-sama. Not when Benten-no-kami shines her blessings upon us."

She bowed her head and recited a few prayers to Benten before looking at him again. There was something about the way she did that spoke of long practice.

"It is something that many aspire to but few experience. So long as one does not desire it... Well. There is no reason why one cannot find true love and follow bushido."

Last edited by Daidoji Tetsuko on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:52 am 

Slowly, Touki nodded. "You're right. It is not a failing. Even if it is too often connected with desire. Or regret." His voice, though low, grew briefly harsh on that last word.

He looked away, then looked back. "All samurai of worth make a study of Bushido." He began. "But your understanding seems to be especially keen, Daidoji-sama." Touki bowed respectfully. "Was that part of your schooling, or is that a special interest of yours?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:35 am 

"Ah. My grandfather taught me much about the ways of bushido before he died. I have pursued the virtues since I was a child." Tetsuko offered a prayer for her ancestor.

"The Daidoji dojo encourages cultivation of one's virtue, and I am told that Benten-no-kami has taken a...special interest...in me. So the Asahina say." She smiled faintly. "So as you can see, I have more than a passing interest in both."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:31 pm 

Touki inclined his head. "You do him honor, then."

"Is that so?" Touki's eyebrows went up. "I understand that my arm is favored by Bishamon." His deep voice was respectful, but he grimaced. "I confess, I do not feel his favor. I don't disbelieve the priests who tell me..." another grimace, "but I suppose the ways of the Fortunes are for their knowing, not for mine."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 pm 

"I have heard that Bishamon often takes an interest in the samurai of the Lion and Crab, while Benten tends to lend her gifts to the Crane." She smiled politely.

"But it is as you say. The ways of the Fortunes are not for us to understand. Honour and steel though... these are things that we can grasp."

Her attention turned to the shrine for a moment before settling again on the Lion. "Did you journey far to be here for Winter Akodo-sama?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 pm 

"Not so far." Touki shrugged, then frowned. Actually, he lived fairly deep in Lion lands. "Or rather, the distance was not a concern. My duty required me to travel here, and so I did."

He tilted his head, expression softening again. "Coming here was the first time I'd seen the sea, actually. It was beyond my expectations." Smiling ever so slightly, he inclined his head to Tetsuko. "I imagine, as a Crane, you've seen the sea many times before. Perhaps it is mundane to you?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:40 pm 

"Quotidian." She smiled faintly.

"With utmost sincerity Akodo-sama, I care little for the sea." She looked down at her hands for a few moments. "My family are merchant patrons. Much of our wealth comes from trade along the coast. So I have seen enough of the sea to know it is not for me. Although one must appreciate its awesome power and unpredictable temper."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:02 pm 

"Hmmm." Touki smiled faintly as well. "I thought it might."

He inclined his head. "It was a wonder to behold, but perhaps it is not for me, either. Just as when I visited Ryoko Owari." He said, lips quirking.

He frowned at Tetsuko curiously. "You family are merchant patrons... but you are a warrior, right?" It seemed much more curiosity than judgement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:04 am 

She did not respond to the mention of Ryoko Owari, or perhaps the moments of silence expressed her thoughts on that place.

"Hai, Akodo-sama. According to my parents I am more like my grandfather than either of them. He was a famous warrior and fought in many battles. We were very close." With a smile she said a prayer for the dearly departed, clapping as she finished.

"And what of your family, if I may ask?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:56 pm 

A nod acknowledged her prayer.

Touki's expression... brightened would certainly be the wrong word, but became less severe. "My parents are both warriors, although my father has higher involvement in Lion affairs." His chin tilted upwards proudly. "My mother still serves in the Lion army, commanding troops."

He frowned. "I once hoped to follow in her footsteps." A moment, and then he shrugged. "It is now my ambition to perform my duties to the utmost, as they come to me."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:05 pm 

Well on some level she could understand that. Not the desire to follow in a parent's footsteps as such, not hers at least, but to follow an example to the best of one's abilities.

"Is there anything preventing you from doing both Akodo-sama? If you do not mind the question. To be a warrior commanding troops seems a worthy pursuit."