It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:55 pm

Post subject: Just Breathe (Day 2, Late Morning)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 pm 

The tale of a potential Kenku teacher watching in the shadows was an amusing one, Tsukimi thought. Perhaps it inspired people to become greater than they otherwise would, in believing that their hard work would stand out as one destined for greatness - to catch the eye of such a legendary teacher.

Perhaps it was a similar inspired thought that made her choose this place over the dojo this day. Though she figured that if the stories were true that Iko was trained by a Kenku, then the chances would probably be slim that the elusive bird-folk would choose a second human-student so soon.

Breathing in slowly, Tsukimi settled into her stance, her right hand lightly grasping the hilt of her sword. Total Concentration... she exhaled, her warm breath becoming wispy mists in the chilly air.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

Post subject: Re: Just Breathe (Day 2, Late Morning)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:28 pm 

Nearby Mai had been mediating sat in the snow. Strange as though this may appear to others the distraction of the cold gave her a distraction to overcome as well as any waterfall might. Removing all thoughts she focused in on herself and felt the world around her through the whispers of thoughts she received. Touching on each and letting them go, floating away.

That was until one notion passed her mind, a feeling of a warrior that felt some degree familiar to her. However she could not be certain as to whom it was, not yet, and thus she had to trust the gut feeling that this was someone familiar to her indeed. Though it was not a very risky bet because she would not lose much from meeting another Samurai that has gathered here and learned their tale.

Rising from her seat she brushed off the snow that gathered to her legs and cast the first step onward. Finding Togashi Tsukimi she did not interrupt the woman's practice but took up a place where she might observe without concealing herself too much as to be improper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:27 pm 

It was unusual to see a Togashi using swords, but what was truly unusual in an order of the unusual?

As many Togashi came from different walks of life, Tsukimi's fascination with swordplay over unarmed fighting had found many different teachers of different levels, resulting in her own style of fighting. There were small hints here and there from other ways, such as stance of the feet being a shadow of the Kakita, the position of the upper body reminiscent of a Mirumoto's stance, and the way she reached for her blade might look more like the way an Akodo would do it.

Her breath left her mouth in a steamy cloud as she drew the sacred blade, barely making a sword as the blade left its sheath, and she began to go through the motions of her kata.

-----

D2 LM Fluff Kenjutsu/Agility roll. Lion Tattoo. Base TN 15 with 2 raises for style: 9d10o10k3 33

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm 

They were not moves to a dance that Mai would have recognized, but she recognized talent and for that much she could appreciate the display before her. With a light smile, reserved for herself as she was not needing to be presenting for anyone, she watched Tsukimi perform and wondered about what the future might just hold.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:19 am 

The steps of the kata seemed to reflect the fluid motions of water, as if she was emulating the specific element in her own self-taught style. Long sweeping slashes, balanced footwork, pulling back in brief intervals like the receding water before going forward again like the powerful waves.

And then it seemed to reach its conclusion, sword tip facing down as she stood still - as calm as the untouched surface of a pond.

Her breath returned to a more normal state as the blade was slowly sheathed. "How was that?" Tsukimi asked, without turning her head to whoever she was speaking to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 am 

"Worthy of a boon from our lord them-self," she said with a humor colored voice. "I could have watched the display for hours more Togashi Tsukimi-sama, and I am most certain that it appeared as if you could continue for just as long."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:28 am 

That there was a reply surprised her, as she hadn't expected to actually have an audience. So it was with a surprised face she turned to look at Mai... followed by something resembling relief washing over her face. At least it was a fellow Togashi. And not some strange bird.

Because a strange bird person wouldn't show up, right? That was just a story, right? she reminded herself.

"Ah, Mai-san... I didn't know it was you," she admitted honestly, but with a kind smile. "Do you enjoy watching swordplay too?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am 

"My apologies if I disturbed you Tsukimi-sama," she said with an inclination of her head.

"I enjoy watching any performance or art that allows an individual to exemplify their spirit. Your manifestation of the art becomes you, Tsukimi-sama," she said with a light smile and a nod toward her.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm 

"It was no disturbance, Mai-san," she assured her fellow nun, smiling gently. "... Thank you. I recall many others at the High House of Light found my interest in the sword... strange, but of course, never discouraged. We are an order of many things strange, neh?"

As she chuckled, Tsukimi adjusted her cowl slightly. "I hope I will get to see you performing in a way that exemplifies your spirit in return."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:47 pm 

"I would hope to offer you that chance as well," she said with the slightest of smiles, nodding her head once.

"Though," she pondered the thought, dragging a finger up to and tapping on her cheek, "I had never quite thought of our Order as being strange. I have heard that occasionally now, that we Togashi are strange, but I have struggled to believe it. Yet, when I apply the thought to the notion that I am Samurai-yet monk-yet artisan, well.. I can scarce allow my wonder to continue. What is so natural among the others I find to be so separate down here, each of these things is oft a different path. Yet, we often walk each as if it were one."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:58 pm 

Tsukimi nodded thoughtfully. "I've... spent much time wandering the Empire, trying to understand more of the world. What I see, is how the strange we embrace is actually embracing our true selves as individuals. Humans, by nature, are strange, different, puzzling. Perhaps the greatest puzzle there is in the world."

She paused to look up at the sky for a brief moment. "So many shackle themselves to this 'normal', that they think others expect of them... I worry many stifle their true selves and true potentials when they do so."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:24 pm 

"May I have been born to another family and practiced in the way of the Sword I would have offered mine to you upon hearing such words Tsukimi-sama," she said, stifling the slight chuckle for the sake of propriety.

"Hai," she nods, "I do think you have the right of it Tsukimi-sama. Though it is hardly unexpected when they are raised in such a way, as we are not, or do not feel in their hearts as we do the intense compulsion to see out our own Path. They are raised by their families and asked only to return this favor by supporting their families when they are ready. We are shared of the magnanimous design that our Lord offers us only the Path and the teaching so that we may follow it."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:32 pm 

"You flatter me, Mai-san," Tsukimi laughed a bit bashfully, fidgeting with her cowl for a moment. "But yes, we are unique in the blessings we have been given by our lord..."

Thinking of that made her breathe deeply. "... What do you think of his appearence yesterday?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:43 am 

"I think it speaks volumes of what potential you hold Tsukimi-sama," she replied, looking over the woman for a second before glancing away in thought.

"May.. I apologize if that was not the response to which you intended. If I may begin again, it is clear now, with recent events, we live in most interesting times and that our lives are bound shortly to surely be shaped by them. His appearance merely confirms this, and we know that we will have a part to play in the coming days. Of this path I believe true."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:46 pm 

"Hmm... I don't think I hold anymore potential than you, or Myo-en-senpai. Every human holds unlimited potential, after all." While Tsukimi did believe this, she was also bashfully reminding herself to avoid hubris. Overconfidence could easily turn her down the wrong path.

She waved her hand a little. "There's no need for apologies, as I'm used to my sisters and brothers to answer me in their own way. But yes... you're right. I too believe that the next couple of days will shape us, as well as the Empire. But will it be a change for better or worse?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:25 am 

"With the guidance of yourself and those like Asako Kashiwagi-sama present I am certain that what will happen here will guide our joined fates into better days," she confirms with confidence, patting her upper chest.

"May, I would not wish to speak to that you and they hold the only potential but merely that it is your lots potential that is often spent for the betterment of all. My only hope is that by being here I might play a small part in your success that I might recall these events some day when I work masterworks onto our kin up in the mountains."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:30 pm 

"If you do play some part in it, then it means that through our shared powers we were victorious," Tsukimi offered encouragingly to her fellow student of enlightenment.

"And if I am to fall, there is no sorrow in that."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:47 pm 

"I can see even now that you are to be a bright spot upon history Tsukimi-sama," she affirms, "should you fall they will speak of the sorrow in your loss but praise the heroism of the action which took you from us."

"Though I mean not to overstimulate you on praise either, Tsukimi-sama, and in turn I would distract from this over-stimulation of praise and form a question. There is a desire of mine that now builds and I do not wish to unsettle you with it, and yet I must not avoid it. Thus I must say, among our number if you do not yet know, you will know soon enough my proclivity and desire to tattoo my works on those that are the greatest of us. May, would you be willing then, Tsukimi-sama, to offer me the honor of adding to your canvas?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:02 am 

((Sorrry, I must this one updating! :( ))

For one of the few moments in her life, Tsukimi was a little flustered at the praise. And at the offer.

"Surely, there will be many heroes that will rise here the coming days, that will be worthy of your skill. But," she paused, before giving a nod, "yes, I'd be honored if I could be your canvas, Mai-san."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:11 am 

Mai smiled, unabated by propriety, "That is wonderful, Tsukimi-sama, we will needs meet to discuss this tattoo of yours then. Already my mind fills with ideas but the time for that will be later, when we needs have time to discuss what it is that will be most fitting for you."

"Thank you, Tsukimi-sama," she says, bowing in tandem.