It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:56 am

Post subject: Re: [Day 7 - EE] Heaven's Only Wishful
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:35 am 

"Well tell me the last time you felt genuine happiness, Akodo-san?" he asked.

Status: 4.0 | Glory: 10.0 | Infamy: .4 | Honor: Untrustworthy
Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:58 am 

"Uhhh..." Touki scratched his head again, sheepishly this time. Had he been genuinely happy when he and Sara-chan had shared a bed? He wasn't sure he would call it that. And he certainly wouldn't tell the esteemed inquisitor that, either.

"I don't know." He admitted, honestly. "Perhaps when my wife told me she was pregnant." He closed his eyes a moment, his expression otherwise bleak. "May I ask you the same question, sir?"

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:13 am 

"Recently? Seeing some old friends are still alive... painting my cousin, and reading a letter from my wife, to name a few," he responded.

"The little things that keep us going."

Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:17 am 

"Oh, of course. Akodo Ren-sama." Touki inclined his head. "Her wisdom has guided me more than once."

"Those all sound very nice..." Touki said almost hesitantly. After a moment, he shrugged. "I find some enjoyment in playing the flute."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:19 am 

"I enjoy dancing, and cooking... I find it soothing to engage in pursuits simply for the joy of it," he replied.

"Never mind how good you are at it, just having fun is the point."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:22 am 

"Well..." Touki's expression turned more thoughtful. "Perhaps I've been happy more recently than that. I've been in enjoyable company recently."

Almost-smiling, he lifted his sake cup. "I'm enjoying this sake. That's something too, right sir?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:44 am 

"If that brings you happiness then yes it counts, a samurai must find ways to enjoy the life they have been given. Even when times are darkest it reminds us of what we are fighting for, what matters most and can give us inspiration,” he replied.

He then said calmly, “I sense you have suffered some great loss, or there is some apprehension in you. Given the situation we find ourselves in, that isn’t unusual.”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:43 pm 

Again, Touki closed his eyes. "I have, yes. My wife." His eyes opened. "But I hope I did not give Asako-sama the wrong impression of me. I still do my duty, with as much or more dedication as any Lion in the Empire. It..." He grimaced, "-seems enough. Perhaps not."

He cleared his throat. "I hope you don't mind me saying so sir, but you have a reputation of being totally devoted to your duty. And your family, of course, but... I didn't expect to be having a conversation with Asako Kashiwagi about..." one eyebrow went up, "...fun."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:41 pm 

“There is no shame in mourning what has been lost and only a heartless Lord would expect you to act as if nothing has happened. No offense to your Lord of course,” Kashiwagi quipped.

"I suppose that is my reputation by those that do not know me and only see me about my duties, fun is obviously a private affair between family and friends, and as Inquisitor friendships can be complicated as we must be vigilant even among those we trust,” he responded.

“Recreation is important, a person without hobbies or recreation is not a whole person. They are running from something and seek Duty as distraction from what ails them, this can be good in the short term but a long-term solution it is not. We all must seek moments of levity, friendship, and intimacy with those we trust and have admiration with. As I said, it keeps us grounded and reminds us why we serve, why the clans and the Empire are worth protecting and dying for.”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:48 pm 

Touki shook his head. "I have been permitted my time."

He studied Kashiwagi as the other man spoke. "Thank you for your wisdom, Asako-sama." He said, doing his best to give a seated bow while in the bath, holding a cup of sake. "I shall think on what you said." His voice was a deep monotone, but his expression was thoughtful; perhaps he really meant it.

Touki took a sip of sake. "I am reminded of speaking with the same Kasuga I mentioned before. I only know about you so far as your duty. But there is more to a samurai than that." He waved a hand through the water. "Perhaps more than can be understood through a few lines of text."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:51 pm 

"Stories and histories only capture what they need of a person, not the person completely," he mused.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:03 pm 

"Yes, exactly." Touki said. "I wonder if it might be better to include more, but I scarcely know what." His lips quirked. "The difference between 'Akodo Touki fought at the gate of Toshi no Omoidoso' and 'Akodo Touki fought at the gate of Toshi no Omoidoso, he plays the flute and his wife is dead' doesn't seem all that significant."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:10 pm 

"For a student of history who only cares about what happened at the gate the former is all they need to know. For someone who wants to know Akodo Touki; knowing he played the flute and that his wife has passed and he mourned her will help him better understand the man," he responded.

"Of course even the latter is imperfect. I doubt we can distill any one person to lines of script, without a book ten thousand pages long."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:49 pm 

Touki looked away, his expression strange. It seemed that the mourning was still an ongoing process.

He looked back. "When I next speak of Asako Kashiwagi, I shall make sure it is known that besides doing your duty, you also enjoy painting, and are generous with your sake." He said nodding. "Even if that is not the whole of you, as you say." He frowned. "People are... an impression, or a memory, and we cannot pass those to others, even if we would wish to do so."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:03 pm 

"That is a kind memorial, thank you Akodo-san. I will be sure to share you story as well," he offered.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:17 pm 

Touki half-smiled. "You are not in need of a memorial just yet, Asako-sama." He nodded. "The forces arrayed against us are strong, but the Lion will hold against them. With assistance from other brave samurai. And even monks." His forehead creased at this last.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:19 pm 

"We will hold the line," he offered and then took a drink.

TN 0 to be Recognized.