It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:21 pm

Post subject: EVENT: Whispers on the Wind (D9, Early and Late Morning)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:31 am 

Scenario: The ancestors of the Lion have begun whispering in the ears of their descendants, encouraging them to take up their blades for the Steel Chrysanthemum. While these disembodied voices can be ignored, doing so is difficult for Lion samurai... particularly those who consider themselves to be honorable.

Participants: This event automatically includes every Lion character and every character with Lion ancestors (such as previously Lion characters that have retired or married out of Clan). If you believe that your character has Lion ancestors (due to your character's ancestry), then your character may participate in this event. If so, make a note of your Lion ancestry in your Private Forum, as this may be relevant in the future.

Imperialist Victory: If more characters pass their Willpower Roll than fail, the whispers of the ancestors have little effect and are generally ignored by the Lion Clan.

Imperialist Bonus: If the number of characters that pass their Willpower Roll is more than twice the number that fail, the actions of their descendants convinces some of their fallen ancestors that the Steel Chrysanthemum is not worthy of their service. Each successful character can call upon their ancestors for a single reroll on a future dice roll.

Traditionalist Victory: If more characters fail their Willpower Roll than succeed, the whispers of the ancestors have a harrowing effect upon the Lion Clan. Every character that failed the Willpower roll gains the Haunted disadvantage.

Traditionalist Bonus: If the number of characters that fail their Willpower Roll is more than twice the number that succeed, the ancestral spirits of the Lion refuse to be silent. Every Lion character, present and future, will automatically gain the Haunted disadvantage.

Rules: Each participating character must make a TN 20 Willpower Roll. The TN of this Roll is increased by the character's Honor Rank. Characters with the Haunted disadvantage suffer -1k1 on this roll.

On a success, the character manages to resist the whispers of their ancestor.

On a failure, the character is compelled by their ancestor to speak out in favor of the Steel Chrysanthemum. If the character makes an Influence Roll on Day 9 and does not support the Traditionalists (i.e., the Steel Chrysanthemum), the character loses Honor for "Disloyalty to a lord, spouse, or superior."

For each character that fails their Willpower roll, or each eligible character that posted on Day 8 or 9 but does not attempt a Willpower roll in this Event, the Empire gains +5 Traditionalist Points.

Regardless of success or failure, characters in this event are so shaken by the whispers of their ancestors that they cannot regain Void Points on Day 9 through means such as Tea Ceremony, Meditation, or similar effects.

It's a Montage:
    Posting in this Event does not count as a time slot. The ancestors are influencing their descendants all across Nikesake (and the Empire), and thus the actual influence attempt can happen wherever you like (even in other threads). Please make a post in this thread for the sake of tracking and montages, however, reflecting what your character is doing when they hear their ancestors speak to them.

Post subject: Re: EVENT: Whispers on the Wind (D9, Early and Late Morning)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:48 am 

The long march back to Nikesake was unfortunately not quiet for Tani. The words of a distant ancestor, one who had survived on violence throughout her entire life, pleaded in her ear.

Your ancestors would have stood with the Hantei. Why don't you, Matsu Tani. Your name is Matsu, is it not. Do what must be done. Fight the fight that must be won. YOU WILL HAVE NO HONOR supporting a pretender. And you know this. Know your truth, and FIGHT for it. It is the only way.

Tani blinked at the words. Astonished by them. But she sighed. Obedience to the ancestors was paramount, after all.

Willpower roll. Void for +1k1. +honor (7). Lost love triggers - canceled by void spend: 4d10o10+7 32 - this is a Fail. Actual TN: 27, roll result: 25.

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 am 

During her morning prayer, Mogami was interrupted constantly by whispers pulling at her. Eventually, she lost her concentration on the prayer and then began to listen. After some time, she began having a conversation with just herself consonantly refuting some unheard argument. By the end of it, it seemed Mogami had emerged victorious over her unknown debater, though she also looked much more uneasy than when she first began her prayers.

----------
Willpower+Void, TN 26. Roll: 36.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:59 am 

Touki shut his eyes, but he could not shut his ears. It did not matter that he had turned away from them in his heart. They still spoke to him.

Gritting his teeth, Touki did his best to bear it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D9Whispers on the Wind, TN 26, VP spent 1k1: 4d10o10k4 18

Carries: Daisho, kimono (probably worn)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:36 am 

What was that noise?

Kitamaru-kun! You need to listen, if you don't help the Hantei claim the throne today, I'm going to scream in your ears, you know you can't disobey me...

Clearly there was no issue. The voice that spoke was rather cute.

SRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

He would go to the Castle immediately and make a grand speech, then write a letter of intent to slit his belly to Lady Shosuro.

Maybe.

OOC
Roll vs Little Lion Girl, TN 22: 20

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:37 am 

Ren sensed something different in the air this morning... the northern foul wind seemed lessened... The elements were shifting and flowing not far off.

She wondered if the Kitsu daimyo had made her play. If she had succeeded where last time she failed... She hoped beyond hope that it was so.

As her thoughts turned to her ancestral home... the voices of her new family's ancestors came to her. She could sense them around her... their coercive persuasion... as they tried to bend her path to fit theirs.

I don't respond to the advice of those who don't know their own way... let alone mine.

She was the mountain... and their pressings a summer breeze. No matter how hard they howled... she would not bow to it.

----

D9 Lion Ancestors VP, TN 25: 7d10o10k7 36

Passed Willpower Roll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:59 am 

Voices swirled around Sukima, unheard by those around her. Her mother's mother from her Kitsu line and back.

Sukima... You wear the Yogo name now, but your ancestors were Kitsu and Hantei. You owe them your loyalty. Your service. You are a dutiful daughter, are you not? Support your ancestor. Fight with us, not against us.

It wasn't easily mistaken for the usually friendly chatterboxes that usually filled her thoughts. It pulled at her soul and what honor she had. They were her family... The young woman shook her head and scowled.

When someone tried to coerce her to do something it only made her want to resist more. It felt like her mind was being pulled in halves.

Willpower + Void, Vs. TN 25: 3d10o10k3 17 (Minor mistake, put the wrong campaign name in)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:35 am 

A Yogo was making her way to court to fulfill her obligations.

My child, thou must listen to me. the voice in her head said.

"No, I mustn't" she said. The headache from the day before was bad enough without a Lion voice in her head.

But I am thy noble ancestor, thou must respect thine ancestors! the voice continued.

"No, you fucking aren't" the Yogo snarled back.

I... the voice sputtered I most certainly am your noble ancestors! Mine bloodline flows back to the founders of the Lion clan and forward to your very husband! We are kin!

"Did you not get the letter up there? He DIED. Before we married, before we even met. The Lion retracted their offer of marriage. We...are...not....related!" she said, really wishing the voice had a foot to stomp on.

But...thou hast said, hast thou not, that he died defending your kin, and that you consider him family? the voice queried.

The Yogo stopped and stared at...well nothing, but where she imagined this pompous jackass at.

"In a metaphorical sense! That does not make him literally family! And it certainly does not make you family! Now go back to whatever afterlife you belong to before I stick a ward on you and send you back myself!"

30 vs. 21, pass.

Frustrated by the Yogo's willpower, the spirit departed, and the Yogo continued her way on to court, to make her case for the Steel Chrysanthemum.

Mortal obligations were enough to motivate her, but when you have as many ancestors as the Lion do, apparently they were willing to send a few to bother even her.

Theme Song

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:40 am 

Who are you?

I am Matsu Kōgyoku.

No, I am Matsu Kōgyoku. You are a mere offshoot of my legacy that has borrowed my name. Why are you kneeling with your sword at your bowels?

Because it's the right thing to do.

To bow to Crane manipulations is the right thing to do? To die out of grief after a lost Scorpion lover? Bah. How low my line has fallen. You should die for your mistakes, no doubt. But not like this. This is how cowards die, hiding in death ahead of battle. Death must be earned, on the battlefield! Are you so miserable that you're doubtful of your sword-arm?

I am not, honoured ancestor. And I am about to prove it soon.

Then prove it. Rise and take arms, join the greatest among your ancestors, marching aside the true and strong Hantei. You can make your death-seeking purposeful, meaningful, glorious.

I have never wanted for glory, honoured ancestor.

Why are you so keen on rendering your name forgotten?

Because, like you said, I've just borrowed it for a lifetime. It will soon be back with you, honoured ancestor.

In what shape? Your honour is stained.

But at least that of the Matsu and the Lion shall remain impeccable.

You mean those who oppose the true Hantei? It is as stained as yours because of their cowardice, complacency, disloyalty and insincerity in the face of a clear dictum of their ancestors! You're doing it in vain. This death is empty.

Perhaps in some ways, honoured ancestor. In fact, I am already empty. But it at the very least reinforces one principle. A samurai dies not when it is convenient, but when it serves their lord best. And I have never aspired to anything more than to be a good samurai.

Your lord is not here!

Isn't she?

A glance at Lady Matsu's figure as the short sword dug in...

EM9. My Ancestor, She Calls Me! VP. TN26: 4d10o10k4 27 - Success

---

Like millet is ground
On the heavy wheel, my soul
Fulfils its purpose

/death

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:20 pm 

Toshiko had not anticipated voices showing up in her head. It didn't make a lot of sense that she would be conversing with her dead mother-in-law without a communion ritual or Kitsu spirit guide. Not that she would go out of her way to talk to the lady, she had enough of her in life much less in death.

"Go away obaa-san." The Ikoma muttered under her breath as she prayed to the Fortunes, especially Emma-o. "I didn't want to hear your squawking tones when you were alive."

EVENT: Whispers on the Wind (D9, Early and Late Morning), Willpower, TN24 (Honor), Friend of the Elements Void Point for 1k1, 4k4+5 4k4+5 = 28. Pass.

Carries: Scrolls, ink & brush, paper, small mirror, fan, pearl.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:32 pm 

The morning began as usual for Otomo Ryuji. He woke and drew his wakizashi. He remembered the method of how to clean the blade his mother taught him. As he cleaned the blade...

You live your life as if you were Lion. Your mother at least taught you that...

Ryuji heard the voice and then shook it off to continue cleaning.

Do not ignore me boy! You hear my words and you will take heed to them...

Ryuji looked around and saw no one in his room, he looked back at the blade he was cleaning and there was the face of his maternal grandfather, Matsu Tozen. Ryuji was a bit startled and yet he could not believe what he was seeing.

"Impossible." Ryuji spat.

It is very possible. You the child of a Matsu and an Imperial and you refuse to serve the True son of Heaven?! I thought you were raised better than that! You're no better than a treacherous, dishonest Scorpion!

"I serve the Empire. I serve who sits upon the Jade Throne."

You serve some idealistic pretender who isn't worthy to sit on a chamber pot! You are to serve the true son of heaven. We Lion have made that oath and the Otomo made that oath. Do not be an pathbreaker and a failure to this family. Your mother married that failure of a father who's only true act was allowing you to pass into her. You say you serve the Empire, The Hantei ARE the Empire! Don't be a fool to a pretender. Don't be a fool like your father.

The spirit of his grandfather faded from the blade. Ryuji sat in disgust. Was it something I ate last night?...No. I didn't drink anything...No...No! It must be some sort of trick by the Steel Chrysanthemum.

Ryuji continued to polish his wakizashi, trying to shake the words of his grandfather. The words burned deeper and deeper into his mind. Ryuji didn't give much thought to spiritual things yet he began to feel a conviction in his soul. Was he really doing what was right? He realized, he needed to do what was necessary.

((OOC: Willpower Roll + 1VP vs TN 25: 4d10o10k4 20 Fail))

Honor: Untrustworthy • Glory: 2.0 • Status: 3.5

Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm 

Kayou was just preparing for her morning ritual. Just before stepping out to begin, voices surrounded her.

"This Way is not our way, child," said a female voice distantly familiar.

"You are a Matsu, how can you sully your name and bloodline with this toaist nonsense! Bushido is the only way for a Lion, for a Matsu!" commanded a gruff male voice.

"War is your path, you know it. Set aside these foolish dreams and return to your proper place," said another.

They were voices she had not heard in ages. Sometime only echoes through there descendants. They called to the small part of her that still longed to be a Lion, proud and strong, among the glorious Legions of the Empire. She shook her head.

"Honored Ancestors, your way is no longer this one's Way," she said. "She will always revere her time as a Lion in her last life. But now, she is Kayou, a Taoist and a nun."

"Disobedient child!" roared one of the voices in reply as other order and pleaded and babbled around her.

"You have no power over me! This one is Kayou, Abbess of the Order of Harmonious Work and she walks the Tao. Return to your place, spirits!"

Suddenly, all was calm and quiet except for the rain.

OOC: Spending Void, success.

Carries: Prayer Beads, satchel with writing supplies.

Description
Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:47 pm 

Child...child...you are soft dear child.

"Who said that?" Erina whirls around, reaching for her blade. Ore and Kamu non-chalantly doze around her. Her eyes fall on them, usually impeccable guards (or at least alert enough to greet a stranger.

You hide your fury. Your passion. You construct manipulations, compromise.

"That's what keeps you alive."

A true samurai does not fear death. Oh, we have much to teach you child...you just need to come to the right side.

Erina shuts her eyes and breathes.

"You're right..."

Good, gooooooood

"I have held back. I have held onto useless things for too long...useless devotion to failures like you. If a samurai does not fear death, then why do you return from it? No. I will face my end once, knowing that nothing else awaits me. And thus my end, when it comes, has more meaning than your life and death will ever old. Do you hear me?"

There is silence.

A smile crosses Erina's face. There is a hunger in her eyes.

"Good"

Whispers on the Wind-TN 26-Willpower-VP spent: 4d10o10 33 (Pass)

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:28 am 

Eika first heard the whispers as a soft sound, easily unmistakable for the storm. She continued to walk Seiji and Kaori through the deep mud of Nikesake til the voices formed into an intelligible sound.

'You are wrong, Eika-chan. You never were a smart one.' Her grandmother's voice chided her, as though she were a small child.

The beastmaster looped her hand through the beast master's claw on her belt. Eika looked around for a target to attack for the insult but the words were in her own head. The warcats tensed at her behavior.

"No, in this I am right." She spoke aloud defending herself.

'Put those claws of yours in service of your ancestors, young one.' A deep frown furrowed the Matsu's eyebrows. She grimaced at the strange words in her head. This wasn't right.

"We shall not defy tradition." She continued her walk to the court, ignoring the continued words of her grandmother. With no one to target her anger at, she placed her claws back in her obi, and remained frustrated.

pass, VP spent

Accompanied by lions Seiji and Kaori
Carries/wears Light Armor, Daisho, no-daichi, koan about perseverance in the face of failure, the book "Akodo's Leadership"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:26 am 

The whispers of the ancestors has little long-term effect upon the Lion.

The Empire gains +30 Traditionalist Points.