It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Post subject: Mean What You Say, [Day 3, Late Morning]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 am 

Degarashi stood in a secluded corner of the gardens, contemplating their meaning more intensely this morning than perhaps he ever had before, his eyes unusually hard as they scanned first one way, then the other, as if taking in everything he could see. His back was held straight, shoulders squared, and his grip on the umbrella shielding him was unnecessarily firm.

If the green and gold motif didn't clash with his outfit it might have made for an impressive sight.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: Mean What You Say, [Day 3, Late Morning]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:31 am 

Another figure makes her way through the garden toward Degarashi. She held a crimson umbrella in her hands, and her steps were short and controlled to avoid slipping on any hidden patches of ice. Behind her, a Bayushi bushi trod through the rain without an umbrella, ice crystals already forming along the top of his kabuto.

"Bayushi-san." Uruwashii approaches the other Scorpion, stopping a short distance in front of him. "Unusual weather, is it not? First a snow storm, then freezing rain."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:42 am 

Degarashi, despite the layer of sleet and ice upon the ground, knelt before the daimyo, one hand carefully cradling the umbrella to keep it steady.

"A troubling omen indeed, Shosuro-ue, especially in times such as we already find ourselves." He did his best to maintain his On, despite the cold biting at his fingertips, his great respect for the Shosuro, all Shosuro, too prevalent to allow him any lesser display.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 am 

"Come, walk with me." Uruwashii turns and begins slowly walking the length of the garden, keeping her umbrella tilted into the wind to keep her as dry as possible. "I am told that you have been preparing a performance of some sort. Is it related to the events at court?"

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:03 am 

Degarashi rose quickly and followed, careful to maintain both his footing and his respectful distance. "Hai, Shosuro-ue, after a fashion. I intend to perform a traditional rakugo, for any who remain within the walls at the time. This humble one hopes to bolster the morale of any who would accept his words." Though seemingly stalwart, there was clear doubt in his voice about what impact he might ultimately have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:14 am 

"Hmm." Uruwashii walks in silence for a few moments, contemplating his words. "I certainly appreciate your intentions, Bayushi-san. The Empire has been cast into chaos, and there is real power in the right performance at the right time. More than once, the direction of the Empire has been changed by a single artisan and their absolute commitment to their art."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 am 

"Your words honor me, Shosuro-ue, but this one can scarcely imagine being so great an influence as that. Yet I am dedicated. Mienai-sensei's lessons assured that much." This time Degarashi remained silent, eyes distant, scanning the frozen leaves and flowers around him. "I wish to address that dedication to my art. The full extent of my art." He paused, emphasizing the words. "And I would ask you something, if you would deign to answer."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:27 am 

"Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies," she says, smiling as she casts him a sideways glance. "What is troubling you?"

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:37 am 

Degarashi couldn't help but grin himself, at least momentarily. Then his eyes grew hard and serious. "I would know what value Shimizu-sama holds in these times. There are many within the city with notable prestige, but it is about the governor whom I wish to inquire. I have seen a measure of his indecision, but also of his pragmatism. By your estimation, how important is he to this city? To the Lion? To you? To the Scorpion?" He paused, eyes smoldering. "To the returned Hantei?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:49 am 

"I trust him about as much as anyone outside my sphere of influence," she admits, casting a glance toward the castle. "That being said, he seems to be doing a well enough job of keeping things functioning. The Lion believe that he is skilled enough to serve as governor, and they tend to be rather efficient when it comes to leadership positions within their Clan."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:51 am 

"That he has your trust alone answers enough for me, in that regard." Another silence followed, as Degarashi's eyes joined the Daimyo's upon the castle. "Do you expect him to retreat, or attempt to hold the castle against the siege as the others retreat in his stead?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 am 

Uruwashii releases a soft sigh. "I do not think there is an effective way to hold this castle. We lost the moment the refugees were allowed into the castle and the governor was convinced to open up the food stores. Whatever resilience we had to a siege has been undermined by a thousand hungry mouths and hundreds of medical kits expended to mend up noncombatants."

She glances back to Degarashi. "It's a tactic taken right out of own playbook. The Steel Chrysanthemum may not be a military leader, but he has already shown a talent for deception and turning the compassion of his enemies against them."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am 

"It would not be a valid tactic were it not so wholly effective, neh Shosuro-ue?" He chuckled dryly, little to no mirth present within it. "That does simplify matters to some degree. If the city is lost, it is lost, and can be retaken by those still alive." Degarashi sighed, shaking his head over the whole ordeal. "I ask again, however, if Shimizu-sama is the sort of man who might, in his honor, affect a fruitless attempt to hold the city while the others around him flee? And if so, would the returned Hantei assault him, or merely ignore him as his underlings did the work themselves?"

Last edited by Bayushi Degarashi on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:12 am 

"It is hard to say just how a man might behave under pressure. Some find hidden steel within themselves, while others crack like eggs." She turns a corner, following a path down a particularly icy route. "Will I slip, or will I retain my footing, Bayushi-san? We hope for one result, but both are possible."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 am 

"What I might give for a Lion as easy to read as Leadership. " Degarashi blinked. "At least in theory. I've never personally found it easy to do." Degarashi effected a sigh that nearly matched Uruwashii's own. "Perhaps a hypothetical, then. It is believable enough that a Lion would choose to stand rather than retreat. Would the returned Hantei simply pass them by, or could he perhaps be provoked, either by insult or intrigue, into a direct confrontation? I know that death seems of little consequence to the spirit, and Toshigoku does not often lend itself well to rational thought, but my knowledge of the Steel Chrysanthemum is less than perfect."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:05 am 

Uruwashii slows her steps, placing each one with deliberate care to avoid falling. "I am no diviner, Bayushi-san, and I have few answers about what the future holds."

She pauses near a tree, where a frozen body has slumped over against it. Her yojimbo steps forward, prods it with his foot, then looks to Uruwashii and shakes his head.

She, in turn, looks back to Degarashi. "Turn your gaze inward. Ask these questions with your art, force your audience to share your questions. Doubt, confusion, fear, sorrow... you can turn the emotions of this doomed little town into something great." A pause. "But only if you live in the moment. Look too far ahead, and you will miss the opportunities at hand."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:13 pm 

Degarashi was silent for a moment, considering Uruwashii's words carefully before speaking. "You are, of course, correct, Shosuro-ue. I am thinking much too far in advance of the situation. I could watch the distant arrow with so much focus that I miss the knife at my throat. Such would not be an acceptable way to end my service to the Scorpion."

To the daimyo's sharp eyes it might appear that Degarashi stood a little straighter, bore a little less weight in his step. He considered his upcoming performance with renewed focus, a thing he could certainly do, and an impact he could certainly have. Today was not a day for conjecture in place of action.

"Will you be attending the performance yourself, Shosuro-ue?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 pm 

She glances up at the sky. "It suspect that it will be difficult to commit to anything today, but if it is possible, I will attend the performance." A glance back to Degarashi. "I hope that you do not disappoint."

NPC by GM Mindshred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:57 pm 

"I hope that as well, Shosuro-ue." Degarashi bowed deeply, a measure of both his respect and his gratitude. "Is there anything further you wish to discuss with this one, while time permits?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:12 pm 

"I do not believe so." She motions to her yojimbo, who begins leading her back to the castle. "I hope that your performance goes well, Bayushi-san. Eyes on the present."

With that, the Shosuro daimyo cautiously makes her way back to the castle.

/exit

NPC by GM Mindshred