It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:34 pm

Post subject: Day 3 LM - Drawing A Long bow [Open]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:25 am 

With the closure of the archery ranges outside the city due to reasons of 'invasion' Sugimoto had quietly cleared a narrow area adjacent to the dojo to practice his kyujutsu.
In truth, he was procrastinating somewhat. A pile of unfinished reports sits on a low table under some cover nearby. Every three good shots he allocates himself 15 minutes working on the duties assigned to him.

It's a soothing and meditative rhythm, despite the terrible weather. After all, they might well be needed to shoot in the rain.

Thunk.Thunk.Thunk

He writes a report on the growing dangers of vigilantism within (or on top of) the city's walls.

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk

Sugimoto re-writes a missive from the gate guards begging for more protection before reminding himself to pass it on to the governor.

It looks like the Lion could go for hours.

Carries: Himself with dignity.
Also, all the usual bushi gear.

Post subject: Re: Day 3 LM - Drawing A Long bow [Open]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:30 pm 

Kin arrives at the dojo and pays the proper respects. The sight of a new Lion magistrate draws his attention, however. He approaches and bows during one of his writing periods. "I am Ryuuta Kin, magistrate of the Piranha. I have several written reports of my experiences in Morikage Toshi that I wrote up on the request of Matsu Kōgyoku. They detail the honorable sacrifices of several Lion samurai, so that their next of kin can be notified."

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:37 pm 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
Kin arrives at the dojo and pays the proper respects. The sight of a new Lion magistrate draws his attention, however. He approaches and bows during one of his writing periods. "I am Ryuuta Kin, magistrate of the Piranha. I have several written reports of my experiences in Morikage Toshi that I wrote up on the request of Matsu Kōgyoku. They detail the honorable sacrifices of several Lion samurai, so that their next of kin can be notified."

As introductions go, it's a good way to get on the good side of a Lion. Sugimoto rises and bows politely, beads of water dripping off his beard.
"Blessings upon you then, Ryuuta-san." his deep voice is slightly harsh from bellowing the previous night "I am Sugimoto of the Ikoma, magistrate of my own clan."

He looks the Piranha up and down for a moment
"Matsu Kōgyoku-san is a competent magistrate, I thank you for assisting her and the Lion. No samurai dies if their name yet lives."
He gestures a broad hand to his desk and to the minimalist archery range
"Is there something I can assist you with? There is no shortage of duties in the city for an honorable magistrate."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:46 pm 

"I had come in for my daily practice, but when I noticed you working I felt it might be prudent and helpful to offer my assistance. If there is any way I might aid you I would be happy to do so."

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:51 pm 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
"I had come in for my daily practice, but when I noticed you working I felt it might be prudent and helpful to offer my assistance. If there is any way I might aid you I would be happy to do so."

Sugimoto nods slowly, as if it were the duty of any true samurai to come and offer assistance to the Lion in such times.
"If Matsu-san will vouch for your character and skill then I see no reason why your assistance would not be gratefully accepted."
Hmmmm

With deliberate care he reaches down and lifts his report on rising vigilantism in the city. From the Ikoma's viewpoint it was samurai of all clans taking the law into their own hands. Deadly use of sword, bow and spirit. Sometimes vindicated, sometimes not.

Handing the scroll to Kin
"What do you make of this?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:08 pm 

Kin reads through the report so that he can get an understanding of it.

"It is chaos. And while it is likely an attempt to help maintain the safety of the city, it is misguided and a drain on the resources of the magistrates and yoriki in the city."

"If I were dealing with a situation like this in Piranha lands, I would go to the known criminals with the lesser crimes. Offer them the opportunity to regain their honor by working for the magistrates office in a capacity that fits their skill set. Probably by having them work directly under magistrates and the most trusted and skilled yoriki. It is not ideal, as some of them would likely consider it approval of their actions."

"The Lion have the Deathseeker tradition for a reason, to allow one to make up for their failures. I would likely lean into that tradition as a means of improving magisterial resources and capabilities in a crisis. They would obviously not be able to be trusted in matters of judgement, but they could be useful in enforcement with a guiding hand."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:56 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
Snip

Sugimoto's On remains neutral as he gently strokes his beard
"And then after the crisis is over, what would you do with these criminals? Do you pardon them?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:11 am 

"They work off their debt of honor to the city, you keep them on until you feel they have paid proper penance and served the law properly. If they are failing in that penance then they should be given a different punishment that fit the original crime after the crisis is averted," Kin suggests. "And if their crime requires something more severe, offer them the opportunity for a lightly reduced punishment after the crisis for honorable service. They should not escape a punishment, but neither should they be disallowed for regaining their honor through service. If a crime might have lead to imprisonment, requiring service during the crisis followed by house arrest after may be fitting and beneficial to the city."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:20 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
"They work off their debt of honor to the city, you keep them on until you feel they have paid proper penance and served the law properly. If they are failing in that penance then they should be given a different punishment that fit the original crime after the crisis is averted," Kin suggests. "And if their crime requires something more severe, offer them the opportunity for a lightly reduced punishment after the crisis for honorable service. They should not escape a punishment, but neither should they be disallowed for regaining their honor through service. If a crime might have lead to imprisonment, requiring service during the crisis followed by house arrest after may be fitting and beneficial to the city."

On the one hand, it was unusual and involved a lightly different interpretation of the law. Sugimoto hates anything unusual or that requires him to interpret the law.

Then again, Toshiko had been pretty firm about him needing to adapt to the needs of the city and the non-lion samurai within it. If lives were saved and honour maintained...

"Very well Ryuuta-san. I am willing to give my blessing to such a program, provided it is strictly temporary during this time of crisis. Please send me reports on any criminal, samurai or otherwise, that you press into service; but as long as they are doing good work I shall ask the governor to overlook their crimes."

He looks out into the rain, wondering if he's made the right decision.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:28 am 

Kin was surprised by that a bit. He didn't have any true legal authority here to press anyone into service. Thus far he'd only been given leave to act as nothing more than eyes and ears of the law. He stood there confused for a moment.

"I'm... not certain I am allowed to make that call here in the city. Only the chief magistrate or a higher authority could do so for myself, and while I suspect given the current circumstances it would be more likely than normal, I suspect it would still be improbable. I only truly have authority over my own clan and I am the only one present to the best of my knowledge."

"I'm glad to assist, and make suggestions. I'd even be willing to simply fill out reports and paperwork to ease the burden of the magistrates office. But it would likely be illegal for me to press anyone into service here."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:35 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
Kin was surprised by that a bit. He didn't have any true legal authority here to press anyone into service. Thus far he'd only been given leave to act as nothing more than eyes and ears of the law. He stood there confused for a moment.

"I'm... not certain I am allowed to make that call here in the city. Only the chief magistrate or a higher authority could do so for myself, and while I suspect given the current circumstances it would be more likely than normal, I suspect it would still be improbable. I only truly have authority over my own clan and I am the only one present to the best of my knowledge."

"I'm glad to assist, and make suggestions. I'd even be willing to simply fill out reports and paperwork to ease the burden of the magistrates office. But it would likely be illegal for me to press anyone into service here."

"Just tell them you're acting on my orders. I am a magistrate here and I can 'request' individuals support the city while in a state of emergency."
His tone firming
"Clearly you would not be 'requesting' high ranking samurai in these matters, but low ranking samurai or heimin, if criminal, have less leeway. There are things a Lion cannot do that a Piranha can, after all."
Sugimoto clearly wanted to keep himself at arms length from anything unorthodox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:20 am 

"I have no doubt of your authority to pursue the actions I suggested. My concern is that I do not have the authority to enforce law in your city. Any action I took to do so without authority from a Chief magistrate or higher would put me in the realm of vigilantism, the same as the offenders in question. I think at most you could make me a yoriki with your authority which would make me only able to assist in the execution of law, not to determine punishment for crimes," Kin explains.

He could tell the man didn't particularly like the idea for himself personally by this point. But a Magistrate could not extend Magistrate level authority, even in this crisis. That would be akin to the governor giving someone from outside the clan governor level authority, something that would get them in a level of trouble that a Daimyo could see them end their own life over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
"I have no doubt of your authority to pursue the actions I suggested. My concern is that I do not have the authority to enforce law in your city. Any action I took to do so without authority from a Chief magistrate or higher would put me in the realm of vigilantism, the same as the offenders in question. I think at most you could make me a yoriki with your authority which would make me only able to assist in the execution of law, not to determine punishment for crimes," Kin explains.

He could tell the man didn't particularly like the idea for himself personally by this point. But a Magistrate could not extend Magistrate level authority, even in this crisis. That would be akin to the governor giving someone from outside the clan governor level authority, something that would get them in a level of trouble that a Daimyo could see them end their own life over.

"But it would hardly be fitting for me to ask a respected magistrate to serve as a me yoriki."
Calm. Now, what would Toshiko suggest?
"Perhaps....I will ask Matsu Kōgyoku if she would be willing to undertake what you have suggested? She is young and may be more willing to personally pursue an unorthodox approach."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:41 am 

"Of course. And it was only a suggestion that might relieve the burden. If it is not considered an acceptable idea by your peers and superiors it won't hurt my feelings. The only other way to handle the issue of widespread vigilantism than treating it normally is simply to make examples of the vigilantes and give harsher penalties than would normally be warranted for the crimes due to the crisis," Kin says with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:47 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
"Of course. And it was only a suggestion that might relieve the burden. If it is not considered an acceptable idea by your peers and superiors it won't hurt my feelings. The only other way to handle the issue of widespread vigilantism than treating it normally is simply to make examples of the vigilantes and give harsher penalties than would normally be warranted for the crimes due to the crisis," Kin says with.

Harsher penalties? Now that's more like it.
"Of course Ryuuta-san. If new ideas are not sufficient then we must look to traditional methoss, ones that have served us well for generations."
Mildly
"Of course, it is my duty to maintain harmony between the clan's present, so making examples out of vigilantes is sure to ruffle some feathers." The broad shoulders shrug. "Such are our duties! Now tell me Piranha, have you ever witnessed a siege of this magnitude before? In the past I've always been on the other side."
He gestures to the walls.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:53 am 

"Of this magnitude? Yes, but like you it was from the other side. Also, it was against Naga. And I was a wave man at the time, so my view of the battlefield was limited to taking orders," he replies with a nod. "Before than that, only as an uninvolved party during the War of Crossed Pincers from afar. Many Lion, Scorpion and Crab died during those battles. Some very intense fighting."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:06 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
"Of this magnitude? Yes, but like you it was from the other side. Also, it was against Naga. And I was a wave man at the time, so my view of the battlefield was limited to taking orders," he replies with a nod. "Before than that, only as an uninvolved party during the War of Crossed Pincers from afar. Many Lion, Scorpion and Crab died during those battles. Some very intense fighting."

Sugimoto barks out something that sounds like a laugh
"It seems like I will have to find a Crane if I am looking for a samurai who has been besieged. I am expecting law and order to deteriorate swiftly now the enemy is here, so I am hunting for past precedent."
I really don't want to have to go through the archives again today
"Perhaps it will be an educational experience when the usurpers dogs break against the city."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:11 am 

"We will see, but I doubt it. I suspect they won't be using the same strategies and tactics that any clan would use. Or any other force for that matter. They are of a different spirit realm entirely."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:22 am 

Ryuuta Kin wrote:
"We will see, but I doubt it. I suspect they won't be using the same strategies and tactics that any clan would use. Or any other force for that matter. They are of a different spirit realm entirely."

"Hmmmph, blood crazed spirits lead by a traitor and a murderer. Let us see that pitted against the might of Rokugan!"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:43 pm 

"I hope that we are able to bring the might of the empire against it. Morikage Toshi could not expel them, so we must hope we can repel them long enough for word to get to other forces to surround them."