It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:03 pm

Post subject: Morning Prayers [D2 EM]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:26 pm 

Tani approached the Shrine of Hitomi for the second time in as many days, though today the Sun had not quite begun it's journey over Rokugan. An army approaching meant that routine was about to be destroyed, and so she intended to main a semblance of it as long as she could. Her prayers were not as long this time... it seemed selfish to say more than was absolutely needed in this moment... and so soon she was back on her feet, contemplating her next move.

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

Post subject: Re: Morning Prayers [D2 EM]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 pm 

Poemu had visited the temple the other day for prayers to the Dragons after arriving, but the new day brought new prayers, and different ones. Making her way to the Shrine, Poemu found a place to pray that wasn't too crowded, offering prayers to her ancestors in the Agasha and Atsumaru both. She, of course, added a few prayers to Matsu Hitomi as well, mostly for courage in these times.

As she ended her prayers, she looked around, she spotted a Matsu woman. She didn't quite recognize the woman, but she approached all the same with a deep bow. "Matsu-sama, ohaiyo. I hope this one is not disturbing any contemplations."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 pm 

Tani turned and bowed to the Agasha woman, face setting to a neutral expression. "Agasha-sama. There is no introduction. This one had just finished her prayers. If I am in your way, please, I will move."

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:46 pm 

Poemu's On was broken by only the faintest of polite smiles. For a Miya trained woman, it was hard not to have a touch. "Iie, this one has also finished her prayers to Matsu Hitomi and her own ancestors. She is Agasha Poemu, senior diplomat to the Lion. I had thought I might have recognized you as I approached Matsu-sama, but I fear my talents in reading mons is a bit lacking."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:49 pm 

"This one is honored to meet Agasha-sama. I am Tani, of the Matsu. Nikutai in the First Legion of the First Army of the Matsu, and Scion of the Antecedent Matsu Daimyo." That explanation seemed perhaps a bit too polished. As if she had practiced it many times to specifically be able to get the words out without thinking about them overmuch.

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:57 pm 

Poemu brightened up at that, though her smile remained polite and faint. "Ah, Matsu Tani-sama. I have heard of you in fact. That must have been why I nearly recognized your mon. Togashi Iko-san spoke of you before. It is an honor to meet a veteran of... it was the Naga war you served with her, hai?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:58 pm 

"It was, hai. I was honored with service during the War of Broken Fang, and was part of the strike force the slew the Shasakar," the explanation was still neutral, but she seemed to relax being recognized for her own fame rather than her lineage.

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:02 pm 

That brought a nod, and the smile disappeared to a more level On, more serious and thoughtful. "Iko-san spoke of a few tales from her time in the war when we were at winter court, and that was one of those tales." Thinking to her own lineage, and her training, she gave a soft smile once more. "Perhaps, if it would help Matsu-sama, she will be recognized from now on for her own deeds and triumphs... just as this one wishes as well for herself."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:07 pm 

She had to bring it up. For a moment, Tani's eyes closed. Hands clenched. Poemu might have sworn she saw a tear. But when she opened them again, she seemed placid. "It is important to remember both where one comes from along with who we are. There is no shame in being known due to the honor of the lineage you are born to. It is only a burden because it is that much more for you to live up to. Matsu Kassenko-sama, at least, seemed to think I am doing an admirable job."

[-1 void point spent]

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:21 pm 

The response had been more raw than Poemu had expected, to say the least, but her honor and training both left her with a poise that would not let her On move in the face of Tani's expression. She gave a small bow, her voice soft, and if one were accusatory, could have been said to have a touch of sympathy to it.

"Sumimasen, Matsu-sama. This one did not mean to have her words interpreted as such. Indeed, her prayers here were not just to Matsu Hitomi, but her ancestors as well. Instead, I would say that to make one's own story, to have glory for one's own name, would be to make one's ancestors proud, and to give one's lineage a way to continue the honor one's ancestors brought into the present, and future."

Poemu made her words quite sincere, her sympathy and understanding rooted in the honor she believed Tani had.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 pm 

That had taken her aback a bit, admittedly. A superior apologizing to a Nikutai was not something that the Matsu was used to. "No, the fault is not your, Agasha-sama. I was reminding myself as much as you when I spoke." She looked up to Hitomi, staring at the statue. "I would hope that, if my Father does stare down upon me from Yomi, he watches with joy of what his daughter has done so far. And I hope that when it is time for me to join him there, I will have a whole book worth of tales worth telling, of bringing honor to the Empire, and then the Lion."

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 pm 

"From what I have heard, you already DO have a book of tales to share Matsu-san." Poemu could tell she had surprised Tani a bit, and had already more than once, something that nearly caused her to flush. For a moment she too stared at Hitomi before she looked much more serious a moment, her brow knitting.

"If anything, these times will provide many more tales indeed."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:37 pm 

She nodded a bit. "I have done a bit. Enough to earn some recognition. The Empire will need more than a bit when it is done. It is a shame that the tales that are being told are tales of our own Ancestors in battle against it."

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:13 pm 

Poemu nodded hesitantly. "I had heard as such second hand... though I have not heard any tales of Agasha among their number yet. I do not think it would change my views however. The Hantai was an ancestor of the Son of Heaven as well, and I can hardly work out a way to believe he deserves forgiveness..."

She trailed off, then shook her head. "As Togashi-dono said, these are troubling times. What we think we know could hurt us. We must learn much in the coming days I fear."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:14 pm 

"The Dragon Champion is here?" Tani's eyes widened just a bit. "That is a rare event indeed, it is not? I have been given to understand he almost never leaves the mountains."

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:18 pm 

Poemu's face kept the same soft frown. "I... am not actually certain. He was here, yes... last night. One would imagine that he would have been seen coming or going however..."

Trailing off, she shook her head to clear it. "Regardless, there was no mistaking it was him. If he has truly left the mountains, that must mean that this is a dire situation beyond compare."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 pm 

"How... unusual." She considered. "Then again, all that has been said about a champion of the Dragon is that they are unusual. Did he say anything that might help us?"

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:52 pm 

That left the Agasha with a long moment of deep, thoughtful silence. Finally, she spoke up with a touch of hesitation. "That... is hard to say Matsu-san. He gave many more questions than answers, truth told. He told us that we make our own fate, that what we were taught is not by necessity the truth. And... I remember he asked us all if we would be right to kill a Hantei."

She paused again, hesitating. "He...." A longer pause. "He also brought us a jade gauntlet."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 pm 

"I... see." She considered that statement. "Well... it is definitely worth having people ready for the prospect of killing the Steel Chrysanthemum." Even if he was a Hantei, Tani wasn't going to call him such.

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 pm 

"Everything Togashi-dono said and asked seemed to point toward questioning doing such, but he never said that directly. I think that it will still come to that in the end... no matter how some may look at it." She frowned softly. She wasn't a bushi, so she wouldn't be part of it, but the decision would still in large part be made by people like her.