It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:31 pm

Post subject: Hello boss! (D2 EE CLOSED - Izumi's room)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:56 am 

Homura was moderately pleased with her day so far. It could have been a lot worse had some samurai not turned out to be master home makers. They would make their partners very happy some day.

This however was going to be interesting. Sending a letter earlier to ensure the time was fine, and carrying a wrapped bottle of sake, she approached the door and bowed to the guards.

"Good evening Mina-sama. Ikoma Homura here to see the honourable Kitsu Izumi-sama. She is expecting me."

Post subject: Re: Hello boss! (D2 EE CLOSED - Izumi's room)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 am 

The guards give Homura an ocular patdown, assessing her risk and clearing her for entry.

The room was comfortable but much smaller than one would expect from a family daimyo. Then again, it was also a temporary room, so that wasn't too surprising.

Izumi is reading a scroll as Homura enters the room. "Hmm? Oh, pardon me, I must have lost track of time..." Her voice trails off as she rolls up the scroll and tucks it back into an ornate case. "How is the refugee situation, Ikoma-san?"

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:31 am 

Homura entered, bowing very deeply to Izumi.

"Kitsu-dono, it is an honour to meet with you again. The refugee situation is being managed well, the samurai of the Empire coming together under one united flag to ensure that everyone is housed, fed and well cared for. They will be safe under our protection now."

Homura smiled at the woman.

"And how is Kitsu-dono fairing today? Forgive me if I have taken time from your busy day, I'm sure you have much to do. Hopefully this peace offering will help, as well as my company?" she held out the package in her hand "it's a rather obsure sake called Maneki Neko, which I hadn't heard of before my trip to Tsuma last year. It's a light brew, as typical of the Crane, but it's quite sweet."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:38 am 

"It has been a long day," she sighs. She carefully clears away the scrolls on the table and motions for Homura to seat herself. "The sake is appreciated, but there are surely those whose company would be better suited to it."

The refusal was given in a tired, perfunctory manner. "I am surprised that so many survived the attack. It seems out of character..." Her voice trails off once more.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:21 am 

Homura sat herself down in the offered place, placing the package between them.

"Who's company could be better than yours, Kitsu-dono? It is rare that one is graced with this chance, and this sake feels like the perfect gift for such a moment" she offered again.

"While many may not be as tough as the Lion, there are many samurai who ensured the safety either though fighting or guiding others. Winter Court is a gathering of the best after all. I know I did my part, as any and all Lion both would and did."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:08 pm 

"Anyone's company would be better," he replies with a glance toward the sake.

"Has there been an official counting of the survivors? There were many important courtiers at Morikage Toshi, but thus far I have not seen any list of their names."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:37 pm 

"Not at all Kitsu-dono. Your company is prestigious, as well as enjoyable. Very few are blessed with the chance to meet with you, and such a rare and blessed opportunity suits an rare blend. Please accept this sake in memory of hopefully an enlightening evening" Homura offered the sake once more. The bottle was very Crane in appearance, with a maneki neko painted on the side.

"I believe Shimizu-sama along with others have been cataloging this. Currently the main focus has been ensuring the refugees that have entered the city have enough food and housing to stay in. I have heard that some of our kin have gone out scouting the lands outside, but I have no other information on that. I can find out for you if you wish, although I'm sure Shimizu-sama will keep you better informed than I would be."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm 

"That will not be necessary. Your time would be ill spent carrying messages back and forth." She turns and reaches for two cups, placing them on the table. "If you would pour, Ikoma-san?"

As Homura does so, Izumi fixes her with an intent stare, as if trying to see through the other woman. It was mildly unsettling, but fortunately, it only lasted for a moment, after which she makes a faint "hmm" sound.

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm 

Homura was careful in opening the delicate bottle, pouring the drinks. The gaze was a little awkward, and reminded her of a jealous Shiba girl who had glared at her from across a courtroom once. Except the worst that woman could do was glare and maybe try to embarrass her in a duel. Izumi could likely do something worse.

Then the sound.

"Is something the matter Kitsu-dono?" Homura looked up from the take to Izumi, tilting her head slightly. Studying her with a small smile.

(ooc - LS1 activated targeting Izumi. +1k0 to contested rolls and attack rolls(which I should never need!!!) for the rest of the day vs Izumi)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:23 pm 

She shakes her head. "Just an unusual element to your spirit, Ikoma-san. It is likely a result of some attachment you had in a previous life, something that your soul has moved past, but which this other person did not."

Izumi manages a faint... well, not quite a smile, but less of a frown at least. "It is nothing to be overly concerned about, but I would advise caution and recommend traveling with a yojimbo for your protection. The connection seems to be romantic in nature, and unreturned infatuation can prove dangerous for a young woman such as yourself."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:35 pm 

"Is that so?"

I bet it's that vain Doji that wrote me love letters the whole of Tsuma court.

"Thank you for the warning Kitsu-sama. It just so happens I am a yojimbo of sorts, being trained in the art of the duel as well as studying Kenjutsu alongside my courtly studies. As I'm sure you're aware, the Ikoma study more than just history."

Homura lowered her head respectfully to the woman in thanks.

"I wasn't aware it was possible to see such things. Truly you are a remarkable woman."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 pm 

"You have not spent much time among the Kitsu, then. It is part of our traditional training." She takes a small sip of the sake, then returns the cup to the table. "Was there something you wished to discuss, Ikoma-san?"

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:49 pm 

"I have met few Kitsu that attended the courts I attended. They are not so open about their abilities I guess."

Homura took a sip of her sake, taking a moment to enjoy the taste before things went potentially south.

"Hai, there was something I wished to speak with you about, and it would be something spoken better in private. Sake makes for a good drink for this."

Homura held up her sake up, looking at the liquid.

"Forgive me for asking a direct question, but do the spirits or the Steel Chrysanthemum know of the method that they came to be back in Rokugan?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 pm 

"The method? It is difficult to know for certain, but I do not believe so. However, the Steel Chrysanthemum may have worked it out by now." Her expression darkens. "Your family made a point of recording that particular chapter of the war in rather great detail. It is a matter of historical record."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:42 pm 

I hope I don't need to talk history...I swear that song is going to cost me my life.

"My family are very thorough in their record keeping" Homura felt like she was supposed to apologize, but held off "however nothing I wish to speak of here I want to see recorded. That is not my intent, please understand that."

There was a pause as she got that out of the way, before she continued.

"So there is a chance that the Steel Chrysanthemum knows about it, and thus who has it. That would make this city a target if he wished to get his hands on it. Can any without the ability to call upon the kami use it?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:59 pm 

"We are the city perched at the northern end of the road leading south to the capital, Ikoma-san. This city would be a target regardless of the Mirror's presence." She glances at a wrapped package at the side of the room. "As for who can use it, to the best of my knowledge, one must possess some measure of spiritual aptitude to activate the mirror."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 pm 

Homura's gaze also followed where Izumi's eyes went.

So it's still here...

"I suppose a Spirit would have a spiritual aptitude, and if the Steel Chrysanthemum knows it can do that, it would make sense that they would try to get it back. There may be more that they want to bring over. Which means they will come for it, and potentially you. With how many hundreds of refugees have gotten through the gates, some could be here already."

She looked back at Izumi.

"I wish to find a way to protect you, and stop them getting the mirror."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 am 

"Save the city, save the mirror." Izumi gestures toward the east with her hand. "I doubt that it will be that simple, but if the city is overrun, then protecting the Mirror will be much more difficult. Once there is a lull in the fighting, I will attempt to cut off their reinforcements."

NPC by Mindshred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 am 

Don't do it Homura. Don't ask how she will cut it off.

Homura nodded.

"Then it is important that both you and the mirror are protected. Which brings the question; how to keep the mirror safe? Can it be easily traced, or is it just a mirror until it is spiritually awakened?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:44 am 

Izumi slowly shakes her head. "It has already been awakened. It bears the raw essence of the Realm of Slaughter, and as such it has a powerful will of its own. It requires constant vigilance to keep in check; it does not grow tired or doubt its purpose. It is a bottomless well of anger, hatred, and violence, from which there can be no escape."

The Kitsu daimyo casts another glance at the wrapped mirror. "It may be more of a threat than the Steel Chrysanthemum. Death frees our spirits and sends them to Meido for rebirth, but the Mirror of Sorrows shackles its victims to Toshigoku, damning them to an eternity of empty violence."

NPC by Mindshred