It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: [Day 2 - LE] Redbone (Kashiwagi's Room - Closed)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:56 pm 

Kashiwagi was freshly bathed and was dressed in a fine kimono rereading the letter from his wife as he awaited his last guest of the day. Hopefully last guest.

She had been labeled a fine actress and playwright, she would need to be excellent to fulfill the task ahead of her.
Asako Chidori wrote:
"My dearest husband

With winter releasing its hold upon the land, spring will soon be given the opportunity to awake the land anew and usher in a new time; a new year, and a new circumstance for us that will change our lives. Although we live in interesting times, and there is so much that can happen with the changing of the seasons too that leaves the future hard to grasp and predict.

Some would perhaps say that giving a start to new lives in such turbulent times is unwise, given the possible dangers we cannot prevent. I would disagree myself. If the Empire and its people stopped the cycle of life each time there was a danger or a disaster, then there would be no Empire - merely a reduced state of mankind huddling in fear of the shadows and the night. As samurai, that's no way to live, or to accept such a way to live.

So even when I hear rumors of the new year's uncertainities, I feel confidence in that we both know to rise above such low impulses. I know that you will have made the best decisions you can do during our time apart, unburdened by fear, and that we will continue to provide a fearless future for our family. No child of ours will have to know fear, even if the Empire is plunged into chaos, as I believe in your will and tenacity to not be affected by it.

I realise of course that I must sound quite philosophical and musing when you read this. The condition of expecting has given me much time to think, and read, and the libraries of the Phoenix provide such deep insights into much food for thought. I already knew this from my time spent in Shiro Shiba, before we met, but it is always such a pleasant reminder whenever I adjust to my new life as a Phoenix. It is still something that takes getting used to, but anything that is worth it does take some work and effort, wouldn't you agree?

When you return home, I will probably have redecorated parts in preparation for our family-expansion, as I've been told it is a common thing for mothers to do. Nesting I hear it called.

Nevertheless, I will count the days until we are reunited again, and I can't wait to hear everything that has happened with you in the time you were gone. Especially the fashions of court this season - if I am to make a triumphant return to the spotlight soon, I can't be seen wearing anything out of style.

Your loving and faithful wife,
Chidori."

Status: 4.0 | Glory: 10.0 | Infamy: .4 | Honor: Untrustworthy
Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

Post subject: Re: [Day 2 - LE] Redbone (Kashiwagi's Room - Closed)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm 

A soft scratch on the door was followed by a low "Asako-sama? It is Shosuro Sara." The Scorpion actress stood on the other side of the entry, dressed in proper court attire.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:02 pm 

Shosuro Sara wrote:
A soft scratch on the door was followed by a low "Asako-sama? It is Shosuro Sara." The Scorpion actress stood on the other side of the entry, dressed in proper court attire.

Kashiwagi folded the letter and set it aside and then gestured for the servant to open the door and then leave them. He was seated with moderate light from lanterns and then bade her enter with a gesture and said, “Enter Shosuro-san, it is good to put a beautiful face to the reputation.”

Pleasantries.

“I have tea prepared, will that suffice?”

Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:09 pm 

Sara bowed the proper depth, as she entered and sat down in seiza opposite of him.

Dressed in golden mask and fan of scorpion, she looked the stereotypical Scorpion seductress from all the pillowbooks.

"Oh, Asako-sama has heard of me? How delightful. I did not know you were not merely an author, but a reader of literature as well."

She eyed the teapot. "Of course. What blend?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:16 pm 

“In passing, I have several friends among the Scorpion, and your name surfaced as someone of promise,” he said coyly.

“Gentle Brook, it is made in a village not far from here or was… considering the current situation,” he gestured. He poured tea for her and then himself.

“I assume you are familiar with my honored wife, Asako Chidori?” he asked, gesturing to the singular painting on the wall.

Attachment:
Chidori-1.jpg
Chidori-1.jpg [ 20.16 KiB | Viewed 3837 times ]

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:18 pm 

"Hai, the famed author." She glanced at the painting. "A pretty painting Asako-sama. Who is the painter?"

She raised the tea, feeling the warmth seep through the cup. How nice.

"Mhm, yes, the current situation is quite...interesting."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:25 pm 

“Her dearest husband,” he said calmly before taking a sip. At her mention of the situation he gave her a solemn nod and then another sip to give a moment of silence to those that did not survive the altercation.

“These times are interesting and the people will need something to lift their spirits, in times past I would approach the Crane but they have… fallen short of their reputation in recent years, and so I come to Scorpion and hopefully one of their best,” he offered.

“I want to sponsor a play and given your reputation I believe you have the satisfactory skills to realize it properly.”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm 

"Oh? No one told me that the war hero and inquisitor is also an artist." She shook her head and sipped from the tea.

"Yes, the Crane are currently lacking in the skills of their artists, but then, what is new?" She smiled at the thought, then perked up. "Oh? A play to brighter the mood, you say, Asako-sama? I am certainly interested, considering that the last play my troupe was supposed to perform did not come to fruition. What can you tell me about the play?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:45 pm 

“Lady Doji weeps, while Lord Bayushi smiles, as they say,” he mused.

He just shrugged at her praise and then continued, “This play has a tentative name of the Red Wedding, and our heroine, Chidori, will be the protagonist; she is intelligent, beautiful and capable. She has been invited to a wedding of a cousin marrying into a rural clan, Suzume-like without naming the Suzume of course.”

“It is one-part murder mystery and another part, romance. An evil samurai warlock, Uzu-maki, is corrupting a youth to challenge her honored cousin and cause strife and violence. Eventually she unmasks the true villain with the aid of her friend and love interest, Kashiwagi, good name, and they cast down the true villain during a fire filled battle. In the aftermath her cousin’s wedding takes place and she will announce her intention to marry her friend, a charged romantic scene as the play ends.”

“I have prepared a manuscript,” he said gesturing to a scroll. “I hope this play will honor my honored wife.”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:01 pm 

Sara sipped her tea as she listened, the put the cup down and reached for the manuscript, her eyes passing to him for approval.

She started reviewing the manuscript, letting out sounds of approval or disapproval in certain parts.

"I see." She glanced up at him, then down once again. "It is certainly interesting, and a play about vanquishing a great evil in our midst is certainly timely."

She placed her hand on her chin in thought. "The outline has potential, Asako-sama. I would offer some suggestions, if you are open to them."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:03 pm 

"I would not have invited you to the project if I did not want your input," he responded.

"You have leave to critique away."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:15 pm 

Sara simply nodded, then read some more.

"As I mentioned, there is quite some merit here. The principle cast is few in number, better to focus on...Chidor, Kashiwagi, the cousin and Uzu-make...actually, what I might offer is to perhaps, do away with the names."

She smiled bashfully. "Rather than names, perhaps we could try some descriptors...The Veteran, the Warlock, the Maiden and the Champion, if you will. It both makes it more mythic, and makes the audience feel better for identifying the inspiration. We would not want to be too on the nose, after all."

She put the scroll down. "You would wish to have this play ready to be presented here?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:25 pm 

"Yes, that should be fine," he said to the name changes. "I would like it performed here if possible. I understand the turnaround is quick."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:57 pm 

Sara nodded. "Mhm...unfortunately, most of my troupe is unavailable at the moment. We will need new casting. Would you wish to take part? Do you have any specific ideas, who might join up?"

So many things to do...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:01 pm 

"I have no desire to be in the play, I am sure if we say that I am looking for cast members to put on a play we will find cast members," he said confidently.

"I met an eager Mantis who seems enamored with my wife, Nagiko, surely she would leap at the chance to do anything associated with her."

Kashiwagi added, "I am sure I can produce more names by the morrow, though I am sure a resourceful woman like yourself can easily overcome this trifling matter."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm 

The roles in the Play:

Heroine: The main protagonist, beautiful woman, intelligent, witty, and bold. Uses her wits to overcome her enemies.

Champion: Main love interest, brilliant sage and hero, main moment will be the climactic battle at the end but role is mostly look pretty and heroic.

Lord: Cousin of the Heroine, he is getting married to the Betrothed, and is betrayed by the Warlock who wishes to marry the betrothed and have him killed.

Betrothed: Minor role, the woman that will be married to the Lord, she is the object of the Warlock’s desire and why he seeks to overthrow his Lord.

Warlock: An evil advisor, cruel and disloyal, using his magic for evil ends but not maho/heretical of course, Murdered the Victim and tried to frame the Champion but the Heroine sees the truth. Obsessed with the Betrothed, failure of Bushido.

Victim: The younger brother of the Lord, killed by the advisor and made to look like the Champion was at fault. They get to play a corpse.

Scenes

Scene 1: Introduction of the Heroine and the Lord, they are having tea and discussing the upcoming wedding, midway through the scene the Warlock enters and is introduced and already the audience can see he is scheming and planning something but what?

Scene 2: The Heroine is walking the garden and comes upon the Champion, an old friend, they have a pleasant conversation, but before she can muster her courage to reveal her feelings he is called away by the Warlock for an important matter. She gets a moment to discuss her feelings, alone as is proper, and then there is a scream and it is revealed that the Champion is standing near the Victim with a bloodied weapon and the Warlock claims to have seen the whole thing!

Scene 3: The Warlock gets to evil monologue for a bit and profess his lustful desires for the Betrothed and his plan to kill his Lord now that the Champion is out of the picture. Suspecting something foul the Heroine sneaks into his lair and hears his plan and confronts him! They clash with words but before she can reveal him, he overpowers her and throws her in the dungeon with the Champion, but at at the end of the scene it is revealed she stole his key in the conflict!

Scene 4: The Heroine frees herself and the Champion and they have no time to waste, they make it to the Courtroom just before he Warlock can enact his evil plan and there is a climactic fiery battle and the Champion casts him down, after the Heroine breaks his spirit with her Honorable tirade! The Lord and Betrothed are wed and then the final bit is an intimate scene between the Champion and Heroine, and she professes her affection and then touch hands and the play closes.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm 

Asako Kashiwagi wrote:
"I have no desire to be in the play, I am sure if we say that I am looking for cast members to put on a play we will find cast members," he said confidently.

"I met an eager Mantis who seems enamored with my wife, Nagiko, surely she would leap at the chance to do anything associated with her."

Kashiwagi added, "I am sure I can produce more names by the morrow, though I am sure a resourceful woman like yourself can easily overcome this trifling matter."

Sara nodded. "Certainly, I make sure you will enjoy the play from start to the end." She smiled at the thought. A challenge.

"Oh? Nagiko-san? You mean the one..." the favorite body of the castle? The butterfly of earthly desires and unseemly undressing? "The one who had certain thoughts she expressed in court the other day?" How....interesting.

"I will be sure to include her in the casting call."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm 

"I leave you to make any final decisions, I only met her in passing," he replied honestly.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:57 pm 

"Arigatou Asako-sama." A challenge from a hero, so far so good.

"Was Asako-sama also at winter court, by any chance?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:00 pm 

"Hai, I was, and I was there for what transpired," he said darkly.

TN 0 to be Recognized.