It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:17 pm

Post subject: Re: Searching For a Venue, [Day 1, Late Afternoon, Expecting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 pm 

"Oh yes, Butei are quite capable of diving wholly into their roles, so much so that one might forget who they were before." A mischievous glint popped into his eyes. "Nagiko-san has remarkable insight about my teachings. She isn't some fabrication made up by one of my fellows to distract me, is she?'

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:44 pm 

''~Hmmm, perhaps...~'' She offered a slight smile, hidden behind her fan, some coy gigles could be heard. '' ~Would that be a real conundrum, neh Bayushi-san?~'' She said to him with a purr like tone of voice.

'' ~Perhaps we could find out...~''

[OOC - Rolls]

Contested Temptation/Awa vs Etiquette/Willpower, +1k0 Dangerous Beauty - 30
-0.1 Honor for using low skill

Carries: Daisho, Extravagant Clothes, Light-Armor (when appropiate), Fan, Mantis' silk and spices
Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 pm 

More color crept it's way into Degarashi's cheeks, much more slowly this time, and despite himself they remained that way. He considered his response for a moment, swallowed dryly, considered further, swallowed again, then opened his mouth carefully to speak, wondering why the winter air was suddenly so boiling hot around him.

"I... well, perhaps..." He paused, closed his eyes, breathed in deeply, and tried again. "I certainly wouldn't want to live my life wondering, if the knowledge was close beneath my fingertips..." His fingers twitched slightly in time with his words. "I would feel much better knowing for certain, Nagiko-san..."

Resist Temptation: 5d10o10k2+3 21

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:15 pm 

Cute reaction Nagiko thought in his mind.

'' Heh, don't you worry Bayushi-san...'' She closed a bit the gap between them, while also closing her fan, her voice was back to normal '' I can assure you that this one is not a member of your most esteemed clan.'' She was telling the truth.

'' It just so happens that i like artistic endevours. And although i have no formal training i do like to try the ephemeral arts.'' She adds.

'' Perhaps i have gained some insight over them, but nothing that could be considered true knowledge.''

[OOC - Rolls]

Fluff Sincerity(Honesty)/Awareness, +0k1 Benten's - 30

Carries: Daisho, Extravagant Clothes, Light-Armor (when appropiate), Fan, Mantis' silk and spices
Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 pm 

Degarashi's current fortune's seem more suited to blackjack than resisting Nagiko's wiles, so his demeanor seemed to relax some as she spoke, believing her words without question. "Hai, Nagiko-san, I believe you are not one of my own in a clever disguise. Your interest in all ephemeral arts notwithstanding, your interest in this one's humble talents honors me." His demeanor unbalanced, Degarashi was now more confused than anything else. "Where do you wish to go now, Nagiko-san?"

Contested Investigation vs Sincerity: 5d10o10k3+3 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:19 am 

'' Hmm, we could continue this conversation as i help you with finding the right spot for your performance, neh?'' She said to him. She grabbed her wicker umbrella with her right, while her fan was in her left hand '' Unless you wish to go somewhere else, Bayushi-san'' Nagiko offered another smile. Also she was really close to him, not enough to be actually touching him, but enough to maybe, be too much for Rokugani-standards...

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:27 am 

Still more than a little off balance by the engage he's just had with Nagiko, Degarashi finds himself glancing around, either afraid of being seen so scandalously close to another, or looking for a place to flee. Finding neither, his eyes return to the Mantis as his senses become overwhelmed but her proximity, his thoughts trapped by exotic perfume and alluring words. "I think...I think I might like to get to know you better, Nagiko-san, if you know somewhere we might more easily accomplish that."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:42 am 

Oh, my... Nagiko internally said. Certainly this Scorpion was interesting, there was much to be known about him.

'' Well, I don't know much about this city so i don't think i'm the most suitable to decide a place to continue.'' She shrugs. '' Nonetheless, what you wish to know about me, Bayushi-san. I will try to answer with the best of my abilities, neh?'' Nagiko said to him as she started to fan herself again.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:47 am 

"In that case, Nagiko-san, perhaps we could travel to one of the locations I observed earlier during my search? I discarded it as an option for my upcoming performance as it was a bit too..." Degarashi glanced above her fan to catch her eyes. "Private."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 am 

'' Sure, lead on Bayushi-san.'' She said to him. It has been a fascinating encounter as for now, and her curiosity and fascination about the Shosuro Butei was driving her forward.

He was bland, sure. But that was the exterior.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:35 am 

Degarashi turned and guided Nagiko back the way they had come, towards a small tea shop. It was a quaint, low traffic locale, with a moderately open central area and several more private booths along the sides. Degarashi picked one of the private booths, ordered some simple tea, and gestured for Nagiko to take a seat where she pleased, remaining standing until she did. "This location, though nice and open in the center, has all of these booths, which lack a certain sound quality." He rapped gently on a nearby wall. "It's difficult to hear anything outside the booth, or from within it."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:52 am 

Nagiko sat in perfect seiza, took out her daisho from her obi and putting them on her right with the hilts of her shikomizue and wakizashi pointing towards her back, then she partook in the tea as it was brought to them.

'' I see...'' She said to him. '' I guess you discarded this place because of the lack of acoustic properties, right?'' Nagiko sips from the tea. It was good, not the best she had but still good.

'' So this rakugo performance of yours, Bayushi-sama. It has certain theme or special topic as its base?'' She asked politely as she was interested in his art '' Of course if you do not wish to spoil it then please do not fell compelled to answer my question.''

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:01 am 

Degarashi sipped his tea, nodding at Nagiko's observation. "Yes, the acoustics as well as the points of isolation make this location unsuitable for my needs. As to the matter of rakugo, I can speak generally of the nature without spoiling the performance." He settled back, eyes sparkling once more. "Where noh and kabuki focus on the delivery or exaggeration of their performances, rakugo tends to focus on either humor or sentimentality. A typical rakugo performance follows a line of conversation until it reaches a drop, or a line that suddenly shifts the context of the story and abruptly ends it. The drop is quite key to the style, as it is often necessary to catch the audience off guard for the intended response."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:09 am 

'' So in essence, Rakugo, as you said before, tells many stories during the same performance? So that is why the actor must play so many characters all at once?'' Nagiko asked with curiosity.

She sipped from her tea again.

'' Or is it that the story is only one, but the sudden change of pace, creates the illusion of many stories being told?''

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:30 am 

"Actually, because many actors only perform shorter stories, they end up telling several one after the other, to ensure a proper amount of time is given to the performance. But the true test is to make the scenes flow effortlessly. For instance. Our conversation. Would be much less. Interesting. If I had to pause. And consider each change. In characterization." He smiled at his own example.

"A true rakugo performer must be seamless."
"Yes, quite seamless indeed."
"Each part must flow naturally into the next."
"Just like our conversation, in fact."

Degarashi spoke each sentence with a faint change in tone and pacing, as if imitating several people speaking in turn.

Acting roll: 6d10o10k3+3 27

((Mostly by way of demonstration, not even sure what kind of TN would be appropriate here, but a full disguise is base 15 and he's just changing his voice))

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 pm 

'' Oh...'' Nagiko is kind of impressed by the scorpion's talent. It was the first time for here watching such skill.

'' So it is not cut between each scene, i get it now. It flows like water'' She said. '' The and the scene is one, but not, at the same time.'' She adds as she sips from her tea.

'' Quite interesting, Bayushi-san.'' She offered him a smile. '' I look forward to watch your performing skills.''

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 pm 

"You honor me with your words Nagiko-san." Degarashi paused to take a sip of his own tea. "So, tell me more about yourself, if you do not mind, of course. I've yet to meet any of your clansmen directly, and from what I've observed for myself..." And observe he did. "Hearsay does neither them nor yourself justice."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 pm 

'' Heh, well, what ~can~ i tell ~you~ about me...'' Nagiko thinks for a moment.

'' I'm a trained courtier of course, though not by choice. When i was younger i wanted to be like the heroes of our clan's stories, daring brave men and women fighting whathever obstacle find in their way.'' She began.

'' But, my mother didn't want that for my future, so i ended up in the small school for courtiers of my clan.'' She sips from her tea.

''Though i still stubbornly wanted to fulfill my dream, so i trained myself with the katana each night, in secret. My father did eventually discover what i was doing so he convinced my mother that 'at least' i should know how to wield a sword properly. So though not formally in a school, my father trained me in using the sword...'' She pointed to her shikomizue

'' Now in retrospective, i do thanks both of my parents, because of them i have a varied sort of skills and can pursue multiple dreams at once.''

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:34 pm 

Degarashi steepled his fingers and observed Nagiko for a long, silent minute. "Is that so, Nagiko-san? I find that story quite interesting indeed." He folded his hands into his lap, expression suddenly far softer than before. "I suppose it's only fair to speak about myself next." He placed a hand on his chest, gesturing to himself. "I was raised by Junshin. In my clan that refers to honorable Scorpions, considered untrustworthy by many as it interferes with Bayushi's directive to our clan. But they have grown in number since establishing our alliance with the Lion."

He sighed, allowing his on to drop momentarily. "I tried to be like them. Did everything I could, but my abilities with a blade were... lacking, to be kind about it. At best I can preserve my family's honor one time with a sword." The smile he offered here was vicious and crocodilean. "I started to hate myself for it, until Shosuro came to my dojo, following rumors of a student with excellent qualities. I excused myself, not wanting to hear more praise for my brother, only to have her follow and offer me training at her school. To her, my appearance was a gift. With so little to distinguish me, I could become anything, anyone, in ways few others ever could, if I would only join her school."

He took a sip of his tea, to moisten his throat. "It was the easiest choice I've ever made."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:26 am 

'' Junshin? Never heard that word.'' Nagiko indeed was oblivious about it.

'' Well, you indeed have talent Bayushi-san. So you should be proud of it. Also, to be a Shosuro Butei is one of the greatest honors one could have. A privilege as i heard. The best school for actors in the entire realm.'' She said what she knew about them.

'' I wish i could act, though that is one of the areas in which my natural disposition to the arts is lacking.'' She told him

'' In any case, if you wish to know about the art of the sword, i can give you some tips, although i'm no expert.''

Profile|Theme 2!