It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:57 pm

Post subject: Searching For a Venue, [Day 1, Late Afternoon, Expecting]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:20 am 

Having decided to perform for the city, in hopes of putting his skills to use improving morale, Degarashi began looking for a proper venue to secure. Largely unknown and easy to overlook, the Butei could never hope to acquire even the smallest of theaters, but that served him just as well. Even the largest theater was enclosed space, and even the smallest of them all had the issue of being exclusive.

Here on the streets, among the samurai and the peasants alike, all any need do was simply approach closely enough to witness the display, making all briefly equal for a time. To get his message advertised properly, such ignorance of boundaries would be key.

As he searched, he occasionally paused, reciting several lines of prose or non sequitur gibberish at varying volumes, listening for the desired acoustics. More than a handful of passers by gave him a wide berth and a wary eye.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: Searching For a Venue, [Day 1, Late Afternoon, Expecting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 am 

After her intervention in the court, Nagiko take a walk in order to continue her exploration of this new place. Something to see and do before going to her usual practice of the Art of the Sword.

As always, she moves with the grace of a trained courtier and if not for the mon on her back she would could pass for a Doji Maiden casually walking with her wicker umbrella.

'' ... ''

She goes around, looking at the faces of people. Something that she usually does in order to discover interesting ones.

Carries: Daisho, Extravagant Clothes, Light-Armor (when appropiate), Fan, Mantis' silk and spices
Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:05 am 

Degarashi certainly didn't qualify as an interesting face, unless one counted the fine veil covering it. Aside from that, he wore his simple courtier's garb, wakizashi, and a blanket wrapped beneath his obi. Aside from the obvious Scorpion coloration of his garb, he looked like part of the background, standing out very little from the crowds.

Aside from the monologuing. Every so often Degarashi stopped, cleared his throat, then began speaking in a clear voice, though the words he spoke seemed to have little in common with each other. Then he'd stop, move to another location, and repeat the process, all the while focusing on his surroundings.

He almost crashed into the delicately dressed woman while eyeing another location. "Oh, my deepest apologies, I was not taking as much care to where I was going as I should have." He bowed low, and held it there, having yet to even see who he'd inconvenienced.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:27 am 

Nagiko did not notice the Scorpion samurai until he was right before her and bowing for some reason...

Did i did some weird movement? No, everything is fine. She wondered. Why is he bowing to me? As a matter of fact, Nagiko did not noticed that the Scorpion almost crashed into her.

'' Uh, mmm, eh?'' She did not comprehend why this samurai was apologizing to her. '' iie, Scorpion-san, uh, there's no need to apologize...'' She told him. What did you do?

Nagiko was confused.

She observed the man and found absolutely nothing that brought her attention, which in a sense was weird and strange. Every one has at least something that makes him unique. But this man, everything was bland...

'' ... ''

There was an awkward silence

Carries: Daisho, Extravagant Clothes, Light-Armor (when appropiate), Fan, Mantis' silk and spices
Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 am 

Degarashi stood, and for the first time observed exactly who he was addressing. It would be just like him to very nearly crash into a woman as attractive as he was boring.

He took a short but cautious step back, as if concerned about his blandness having developed an airborne vector, then bowed again, this time more conversationally. "I suppose no offense was committed, thus no apology is needed. This one is known as Bayushi Degarashi." He smiled with an effect similar to an artisan drawing a short, flaccid curve with a watered down brush on cheap rice paper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:53 am 

'' Uh, oh, hai. A honor to meet you Bayushi Degarashi-san. This one is Nagiko, from the Islands of Spices and Silk.'' She bowed and presented herself. '' Have you received the blessings of Inari-no-kami today?'' She asked politely.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:00 am 

"I have Nagiko-san, and hope you have received the same." Degarashi had never met anyone from the land of spices and silk, though looking at Nagiko, the prevalent term in his mind was definitely exotic. "The Islands of Spices and Silk? I've never had the pleasure of meeting anyone who hails from that region before. Are they all..." He gave her a quick, polite visual inspection. "As striking as you are?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:14 am 

Striking? Oh, my. Maybe i misjudged you She thought. Perhaps it was not the 'exterior' that was the interesting uniqueness of this individual.

A slight smile formed, and she quickly took out her fan, opening it with the grace of a trained courtier, hidding some of her features and started fanning herself with a slow tempo.

'' Hmm, striking? striking how exactly, Bayushi Degarashi-san?'' She asked behind her fan. '' What do you mean by striking as me?'' She teased a bit as she moved one step forward, getting herself at the same original distance before Degarashi moved away after his apologize.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:21 am 

For a woman such as Nagiko, any number of reactions to her sudden interest might be expected. Nervousness, coy playfulness, comments about honor, possibly even fear. Degarashi probably held the most unique response of all.

Immediate suspicion.

His eyes narrowed slightly, enough to simply be the result of focusing on Nagiko as she stepped forward, and to his credit Degarashi stood his ground this time, instead of retreating. He inclined his head gently towards the Mantis, and spoke openly and plainly, his measured response free of any indications of his underlying thoughts. "A Crane might make several lines of poetry speaking of your beauty, but I am a simple man, and inclined to state it simply. You strike the eyes in a way this one could never hope to do."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:32 am 

Indeed, this was an interesting individual. Those lines confirmed it.

'' Oh, you flatter me, Bayushi Degarashi-san. '' She continues to move her fan slowly, only revealing her eyes to him. '' Even though i come from a minor clan to be compared as the inspiration for crane poets, that is indeed a honor.''

She closes her fan, offering him a smile and she moves right next to him. Now, he can also smell the exotic perfume that Nagiko usually dons. No plants from the mainland could achieve such fragance. Sweet and exotic.

'' Maybe i could answer your previous question as i walk by your side?'' She asked.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:42 am 

Despite his concerns about why Nagiko might have taken an interest in him, her sudden proximity, mixed with the alluring scent, did earn the farthest of blushes. "I would be honored to accompany you, Nagiko-san. And I cab scarcely judge one such as yourself simply for being of a Minor Clan. I know something of what it means to be overlooked."

There was a hint of bitterness to his words, but that vanished quickly as he walked alongside Nagiko, not wanting to taint a rare moment such as this. Certainly, she might still have some angle to her interest, but even falsified attempts at his attentions were a rare occurrence. He might not have many chances to enjoy them in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:08 am 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
"I would be honored to accompany you, Nagiko-san. And I cab scarcely judge one such as yourself simply for being of a Minor Clan. I know something of what it means to be overlooked."

'' I'm glad. '' Nagiko offered him another smile. She then started to walk, following wherever Degarashi was going to.

'' So, answering your question, Bayushi-san. The answer is yes and no.'' She said, fanning herself. Her scent forming a sweet aura around her. '' There are many striking members of the Mantis clan. Striking as, let's say, burly, half naked, sweaty, tanned sailors, some smell like fish, all of them smell like sake. Most of my people fill -that- description of striking.'' Nagiko giggles.

'' You see, although beautiful, the Islands of Spices and Silk are not easy to live on. The soil and climate is not suited for the same crops that the rest of Rokugan has. Animals and plants are usually poisonous or dangerous.'' She says. ''So, as you should most likely have heard, most of my people take a life in the domain of Suitengu-no-kami.'' Nagiko adds. '' Whether is for a life moving things from one place to the another or fishing. And life on the seas is not easy.''

a small pause as they walk.

'' But we are still rokugani, so you would find all types of peoples among us, much like here on the mainland.'' She told Degarashi. '' Though because of how hard is living on the islands some things are less prominent among us. Like the arts, though we are not entirely devoid of people that pursue them.''

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 am 

Degarashi took in Nagiko's words with a keen interest, his knowledge of the Minor Clans somewhat limited by what the Shosuro had felt worth mentioning during his training. Understanding this life that the sailors lived, what hardships they may have faced, began fueling pictures inside his mind.

"I have heard very little of the Mantis, and your perspective on them is quite new and fascinating to me. My only exposure thus far has been minimal at best." Nothing to read into with that phrasing, certainly. "I would be quite intereste-... Pardon me a moment, Nagiko-san."

Degarashi briefly excused himself, and stepped a short distance away. Then, as before, he cleared his throat and began to speak, reciting random lines from a popular kabuki play before shaking his head and returning.

"Where was I? Oh, yes. I would be quite interested in learning more about your clan, if you are willing to enlighten me."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:20 pm 

Nagiko observed the weird quirk of this Scorpion. Was it something deliverately or was some cultural trait of the Scorpion clan? She was not sure.

'' I will be honored, Bayushi-san'' She said still not so sure of what just happened. '' Might i ask you a question, Bayushi-san?'' She asked.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 pm 

Degarashi nodded softly. "It would hardly be fair to ask questions of you without answering yours in return. What would you like to know?"

As they walked, his gaze continued to flit between Nagiko and their surroundings, still searching for a proper venue, but not wanting to disrespect Nagiko with his distraction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:11 pm 

'' Are you an artist, Bayushi-san?'' She asked with curiosity. '' You were reciting some poetry or something like that just now? or i'm wrong?''

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 pm 

"Oh, that. Yes, after a fashion. I am a Butei trained by the Shosuro, my fortitude is acting. I was reciting simple lines from a well known play because I am currently searching for a proper venue to host a performance. I apologize for not explaining so sooner, I sometimes get quite wrapped up in my profession." Degarashi managed not to blush, but only just barely, still unused to Nagiko's genuine sounding interest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:29 pm 

'' Really!? '' That made Nagiko's eyes shine. '' A Shosuro Butei? How fascinating! '' Nagiko's interest over the bland Scorpion exploded.

'' What type of performance? Noh or Kabuki? What plays have you done before? Will it be done soon?...'' And Nagiko started to bombard Degarashi with question after question after question.

After a while she kind of remembered her manners.

'' Uh, forgive me, Bayushi-san. My fascination over arts can sometimes overwhelm my person.'' She covered her face with her fan trying to hide the blush on her delicate features.

Profile|Theme 2!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:53 pm 

Degarashi responded to the explosion of questions as if they were a physical blow, rocking back on his heels with his eyes wide. He did his level best to remember as many of Nagiko's questions as he could, not wanting to overlook anything in his response.

"W-worry not Nagiko-san, your enthusiasm lends this one hope that his performance might be well received." He pursed his lips softly. "I've not performed often in front of others, certainly not the way Sara-sama has, and what I intend isn't a large production. In fact, it's something a bit more personal than a typical play."

He gestured with his hands as he spoke. "I am uncertain if any other clans perform this way, but among the Scorpion, and particularly among the Shosuro, we occasionally perform what we refer to as Rakugo. Instead of performing with a troupe, a Rakugo performer takes the stage alone, acting out every role by themselves, all while maintaining the seiza posture. The only props permitted are a courtier's fan and a simple cloth, and the actor must rely entirely on their creativity to perform each role convincingly. For this reason, many rakugo performances are broken down into a series of short segments, to ease the burden on the performer."

Here he smiled, and there was a genuine warmth to it. "My instructor, Shosuro Mienai, and I believe the tradition began with the Butei, as a way to test the knowledge and skill they had acquired during their training, but it has gathered some popularity among the Scorpion since. I intend to perform two nights hence, here in the streets where all are welcome to attend, in the hopes that I might improve the morale of those in the city. Naturally I would be honored if you chose to attend."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:13 pm 

'' Heh...'' Nagiko nods as the Bayushi Butei explains his artistic background. '' That Rakugo style sound difficult. You must be very talented indeed if you can perform such a difficult style all by yourself, Bayushi-san'' She offered him a smile.

'' Sounds almost as if you could turn into different persons all at once.'' Nagiko for a moment wondered if it could be similar to the henge ability that Hime-chan has.

'' Mostlikely your sensei and you are right, i mean, i have watched some plays, nothing to fancy before, but still, it was a taxing experience to play as someone different. Let alone acting as many, all at once.'' She said.

'' Of course, i will be honored to watch your performance Bayushi-san. How will i miss the oportunity to watch a performance done by the most estemeed Shosuro Butei, neh?''

Profile|Theme 2!