It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:03 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Courtroom Debates [Day 1, Early Afternoon]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:15 pm 

"Oh, well, it seems Matsu-san has a high opinion of my family's arts, I must certainly live up to it ." Her own eyes twinkled.

"Calligraphy? That can certainly be a beautiful art. Do you practice often? Your art, I mean?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:22 pm 

"You surprise me, Agasha-sama. I did not take the Dragon clan for having many horses in their mountainous homes."

"I am sure after Shimizu-sama has some time to rearrange the next for days to accommodate all the influx of us from Morikage Toshi, he will schedule many forms of entertainment. A day for art, plays, music, and showing off works would be most welcome. "

Mogami gives Sara a small nod

"When watching the artisans in troupes such as yours, one would be a fool to not see their skill and dedication. As far as my own, I make battlefield use of my fletchery daily, it has been some time since I have attempted an artistic piece though. Calligraphy I try to practice truly at least once a week, usually after some of the literacy lessons for these two."

She motions behind her to the two budoka standing at her shoulders, their eyes fixed to their feet.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 pm 

Bayushi Norikami wrote:
"I'm a bit contradictory in that I do believe fate is a thing, but that it hasn't much meaning, it's just a culmination of past choices...a lot of them by people who have nothing else to do with you or your future."

"Maybe not, no. Fate by itself isn't much unless given definition by our action and perhaps the ultimate realization of our participation, whether small or significant. Like blown leaves in the autumn wind and scattered into the world, yet it's not like every leaf is going to inspired a poet to write something about them."

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:54 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
"Maybe not, no. Fate by itself isn't much unless given definition by our action and perhaps the ultimate realization of our participation, whether small or significant. Like blown leaves in the autumn wind and scattered into the world, yet it's not like every leaf is going to inspired a poet to write something about them."

He snorted. "Human destiny is death, if your effort provides something better to those who come after you, there's fancy words put to your life by people who use your memory to benefit, but the result is still the same for you. Emma-O decides after that."

He tapped his pipe out on the windowsill.

"War's not something that affects most positively and I feel like I've seen too much of it. Hard to see things so philosophically, I guess."

When Allowed: Armor, No-Dachi, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 pm 

Matsu Kōgyoku wrote:
"Isn't it more of a concern than ambition then, Matsu-sama, to spare the consequences of your hypothetical fall for those under your protection? Either way, we can't really fail as long as honour is our guide. Principled sacrifice is not a failure. It is those who pursue success and survival at all costs who would concern me more. Aren't we facing precisely that kind of man now?" Her words ring faithful and true, meant to pull him away from self-mockery. It was precisely the moment when the governor couldn't be second-guessing himself.

"In the cycle of life, yes, principled sacrifice is not a failure. We will be reborn to try again, so giving in for the sake of this life is wrong, in the same way that fulfilling my desire to leave this room serves the now and not the Heavens, so I do not act on it."

He regards the Matsu closely.

"We are facing a test, at the moment, of our values and wisdom. Perhaps, if we are lucky, we will not face the man himself. Perhaps he will choose a different course of action now that he has done the unthinkable. Perhaps he will feel the loss of honor too keenly to continue to walk the path he began." He shrugs. "But, I doubt it."

"To respond directly to your words: I appreciate them. I believe you to be, as it regards to Bushido, correct. But, I will still pursue success, just not at all cost. Perhaps the best path to protecting this city is to side with a ghost, but I will not take it."

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:58 pm 

The governor momentarily stands up and addresses the crowded room.

"IF YOU HAVE," he begins loudly, "anything more to say to the court, please do so now. We will soon be taking a reprieve. I thank everyone who has spoken so far. Their passion and desire to uphold the tenets of Bushido have been seen by all."

He sits back down.

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 pm 

Seitouna finds he can write again.
Quote:
After I made my small contribution to the discussion--my words there were unimportant against those of greater skill, but I could not refuse to lift my voice--the Governor called for a final thrust of discussion. It was clear that, having taken the counsel of his kin, he was near to a decision. And that is no surprise.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:25 pm 

Matsu Mogami wrote:
"You surprise me, Agasha-sama. I did not take the Dragon clan for having many horses in their mountainous homes."

"I am sure after Shimizu-sama has some time to rearrange the next for days to accommodate all the influx of us from Morikage Toshi, he will schedule many forms of entertainment. A day for art, plays, music, and showing off works would be most welcome. "

Mogami gives Sara a small nod

"When watching the artisans in troupes such as yours, one would be a fool to not see their skill and dedication. As far as my own, I make battlefield use of my fletchery daily, it has been some time since I have attempted an artistic piece though. Calligraphy I try to practice truly at least once a week, usually after some of the literacy lessons for these two."

She motions behind her to the two budoka standing at her shoulders, their eyes fixed to their feet.

"Oh? Teaching peasants to write? You are the paragon of Compassion yourself, Matsu-san." Sara seemed to be bemused at the thought. "Have you thought about branching out to other art forms?"

She waited for her Dragon conversation partner to respond on the matter of mountains, dragons and horses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:51 pm 

Poemu was quite ready to let the questions on art continue, but she did give a momentary interjection. "Ah, I was trained by the Miya Matsu-san."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 pm 

"I wouldn't say such things, just that I do value what Compassion says our duties are. And, what good are soldiers if they cannot send or receive orders that do not require a speaker?"

Mogami listens to the explanation and then nods in satisfaction.

"Ah"

A short response to that, her tone clearly academic.

"As far as other art? Hmm. Someday I would like to do more, but my duties and tasks do not permit the time I'm afraid. And, if one is to do something, they need to be able to do it with their best effort. To not be able to dedicate appropriate time would be a shame, I think."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:25 pm 

Bayushi Norikami wrote:
He snorted. "Human destiny is death, if your effort provides something better to those who come after you, there's fancy words put to your life by people who use your memory to benefit, but the result is still the same for you. Emma-O decides after that."

He tapped his pipe out on the windowsill.

"War's not something that affects most positively and I feel like I've seen too much of it. Hard to see things so philosophically, I guess."

Wasako frowned faintly and gave a quick bow of her head. "My apologies, Bayushi-san. Hardly my place to make your experience a topic of philosophical discussion. Perhaps it would be best to see things as they are? Or, what they will be. We shall wait to see what will become of the next few days, for better or worse."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:35 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
Wasako frowned faintly and gave a quick bow of her head. "My apologies, Bayushi-san. Hardly my place to make your experience a topic of philosophical discussion. Perhaps it would be best to see things as they are? Or, what they will be. We shall wait to see what will become of the next few days, for better or worse."

Putting his pipe away into his obi he smiled.

"Well I like things how they are in this moment." He didn't mind giving her a direct look right then. Right before he'd seemed to finish and she might reply his eyes shifted, looking over her face.

"There's some poetry, it's beyond me, I don't have the talent for it, but if I did, I'd have something to say about the duality of that touch of winter framing the summer of your face."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 pm 

Chinatsu had been quiet, but attentive to her surroundings. Finally, the Orator got to her feet and made her own speech in a lull of conversation.

"It is clear that the monsters that approach us are no true pretenders to the Throne. The Throne was not up for contention, no duel was agreed upon. This supposed Steel Chrysanthemum has committed murder, and worse, Fratricide, for the sake of power and nothing else. Should he and his barbarous spirits, for any who would follow him is no ancestor of mine, come to our gates, they will find only the welcome of a swift return to the afterlife. There I am certain Emma-O would be more than happy to judge them for their crimes once more. The Steel Chrysanthemum must die."

With that, Chinatsu stepped back once more and took her seat.

Influence roll: 3 raises called, pro Imperialist. Success
+4 Imperialist points

Carries: Fan, Ink brush and paper, wakizashi, umbrella (on particularly sunny days), bag with some money

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:30 pm 

Tomomi watches the hullabaloo. Was it only yesterday that this court was merely a place for some quiet gossip over tea as those with actual agendas finalized minor treaties before the dias? Suddenly everything upended. She should toss the yarrow stalks tomorrow and see if they are equally disordered.

She doesn't bother trying to move this crowd all as one. It's too large, too fearful, too frantic. Instead she has a small conversation with this person, and those three over there.

It's interesting how many bring up murder, and she keeps her rueful smile inside. Too many emperor's rose over murdered siblings for that to be a strong argument. It's not really part of the stories everyone grows up with, but it's there between the lines. Granted, it would be incredibly gauche to bring such things up in front of a court, but there will be those who whisper it soon enough.

She expresses shock and dismay at the whole thing, of course. And also points out that spirits and kami are not considered viable sources of testimony for court proceedings, how could one sit on the throne? The Emperor's every word is the ultimate in testimony, such that the Empire bends to be sure his words are true. It upends centuries of sensible precedent for no solid reason. It's not as emotional an argument, but she hopes that it will stick with some of those she's spoken with.

(pm if approached please, I've definitely lost sight of what's going on in this thread).

Influence rolling: One raise for 2 points

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, satchel of paper and writing supplies, small mirror, incense

"people are trapped in history and history is trapped in them" -James Baldwin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 pm 

Bayushi Norikami wrote:
Putting his pipe away into his obi he smiled.

"Well I like things how they are in this moment." He didn't mind giving her a direct look right then. Right before he'd seemed to finish and she might reply his eyes shifted, looking over her face.

"There's some poetry, it's beyond me, I don't have the talent for it, but if I did, I'd have something to say about the duality of that touch of winter framing the summer of your face."

Wasako raised her brows quizzically at first at the words, wondering if they had meant in another way before some realization dawned on her.

"You mean? Oooh...Uhm, thank you?" She said as she glanced off, not exactly knowing how to react as she became a bit flustered. This was one of those fan things would be useful right now. "Often, I'm mistaken to be about as old as my sensei..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:47 pm 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
Wasako raised her brows quizzically at first at the words, wondering if they had meant in another way before some realization dawned on her.

"You mean? Oooh...Uhm, thank you?" She said as she glanced off, not exactly knowing how to react as she became a bit flustered. This was one of those fan things would be useful right now. "Often, I'm mistaken to be about as old as my sensei..."

"Sounds like there are a lot of people who don't look each other in the eye", he said, looking her in the eye.

Eventually he turned his gaze away and bowed to her.

"For now, Mirumoto Wasako-san, I'll remember this conversation as the highlight of my days at court. I'd like to challenge you to out do yourself tomorrow though. How about the dojo?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:37 am 

"If you think you're stuck here for weeks, I'm sure Bayushi-san will find other highlights during his stay here," she gave the court a glance before shaking her head. "At the dojo, do you mean you wish to spar me?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:01 am 

He was beginning to think she'd rather not after that reply.

"If the lady is so inclined. I'll be there in the morning anyway." He shrugged and bowed again.

"It's been an honor taking up your time."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:50 am 

Matsu Erina wrote:
"It is the time for solidarity." Erina nods in agreement. "I believe that only one has spoken up in opposition. An opportunist, I assume, who wants to ride the bucking horse because it is moving the fastest and paying no heed to the likelihood of being thrown...or what damage they wreak along the way."

Yukinaga nodded "I tend to try and see the best in my fellow samurai. Perhaps she really sees some sign from the heavens with what has happened." He paused slightly "though it is difficult to say of the mantis. They are known to lean towards opportunism." Yuki said it as delicately as he could. In all actuality they had a reputation for piracy and have been accused of such before.

Carries: Daisho, Tanto
When appropriate: Light Armor and yumi with arrows

Theme Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:55 am 

Kakita Rin wrote:
[Rin leaned back. Would the Lion have anticipated the Scorpion during it's attack, or would the reckless nature of the charge cause it to neglect to cover it's rear? Was there an Akodo general in charge here . . . or perhaps a Matsu?

He contemplated the dilemma for some time. Enough that the servant returned with fresh tea for them before smiling. There was a factor they had forgotten.

He reached forward and moved the Naga to loom over the Scorpion.

Tetsuko smiled and sipped at her tea. That was a suitably bold development. The Lion would inevitably be forced to turn from its prey to defend its ally. She turned it so that its back was to the tortoise.

This would give the reptile a chance to right itself. She cast her gaze around the court room before returning it to her friend. Origami could be such an entertaining artform.

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next