It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ever watchful, Day 1, Early Evening, Open
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 am 

"Ancestral respect is normal for most samurai, from what I understand the Crab do some pretty intense veneration on a personal level, as it's bad luck to talk about your dead in public, eh?"

He looked toward the governor for a moment, then back to the land beyond.

"For the Lion, what I get is it's serious worship. If you've been praying to a guy all your life for his strength and blessing, then he steps out into your front room and tells you it's time to join him in glorious battle to slaughter everyone who doesn't join him...well, is he right or wrong? Do you follow or do you die? Your ancestor, alive and before you, is saying these people he will kill are unworthy. Sounds like pain in the ass. There's some who say a Lion would rather slit his belly in shame than face the decision."

When Allowed: Armor, No-Dachi, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am 

"Mmm. I suppose the Crab do have a rather simpler time with such issues. But that knowledge only makes what must come next all the more difficult." Yoichi made a wide, sweeping gesture towards the city. "These are Lion lands. If this is to be a difficult time for them, it would make matters far worse for the rest of us. You telling me that your allies might as readily fall upon their own blades rather than face down a threat does little to instill my confidence in them."

He began working his lower jaw, as if chewing on something unpleasant. "I've no love for your clan, but I've clashed against them, seen their most honest selves in battle. As the allies of the Lion, you may need to act where they hesitate, because the Crab certainly will not."

Typically carries: Literally everything he can carry unless prohibited, traveling pack, bow, arrows, etc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:57 am 

he took out his pipe and started to pack in the tobacco. "We'll see", he said. "There's been days any one might rather die than make a choice, though honor lands one either side if you frame it right."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:09 pm 

Yoichi sighed deeply, and nodded. "I hope for simple problems that demand simple responses, but the fortunes are rarely so benevolent as that." With a shrug of his shoulders, the Hiruma stood from his spot on the wall, hoisting his pack and his yumi, before bowing a little less curtly than before at the Scorpion. "This one has matters to attend to, so I must take my leave."

Typically carries: Literally everything he can carry unless prohibited, traveling pack, bow, arrows, etc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:11 pm 

"Stay warm, Hiruma-san", Norikami replied with a bow of his own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 pm 

"I shall, Bayushi-san. Mind the trees, if you head out again. What snow remains makes it easier to hide within them, but also may break branches without warning." With that, the Hiruma nodded, then made his way back into the city.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 pm 

This thread is open and available for newcomers.

--------------------------------------Assistant GM--------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 am 

One of the Dragons also had the idea of scouting, so the light armor was donned over her simple kimono and hakama, and her sacred daisho was secured in its place.

As she stepped up to look out from the walls, she took a moment to let her chi align itself with the surrounding snow and cold, tipping her elemental balance over in favor of the element of water. If there was something to look for, it would help to be more perceptive and understanding of the situation.

While her armor and clothes didn't stand out much in the fading light of day, her white cowl was like a pop of brightness compared to the dullness of the dusk.

----

D1 EE Activate Touch of the Void Dragon (Water Ring). Complex Action. Meditation/Void. TN 15: 5d10o10k3 20 -- Water Ring now 4.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:30 am 

There is not much to see, out beyond the walls. The sun has already mostly set, but the last rays of light reflect of the fallen snow to keep the countryside surprisingly well lit.

On a nearby part of the wall, the city's governor stands unmoving, scanning the horizon for something that cannot be seen.

Near him, but far enough to be out of earshot, is a Scorpion, outfit lit some by the light coming from the snowy grounds.

All around the walls, guards pace slowly. The tension in their steps is evident, but they are acting like business as usual.

--------------------------------------Assistant GM--------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:28 pm 

Erina keeps wandering, much as she has throughout the day. No one had ordered her to patrol, but something about it kept her at it. She had already seen a rather strange showdown between a Magistrate and Imperial, and ran into someone training a bunch of pups, and it seemed that people kept trickling in. She would have to go to a meeting soon, but her soul was still restless.

The two warcats plopped on the ground as she took a breath, their tails twitching as Erina finishes the gourd of water.

"Alright, back to it." She continues along, hoping to learn something else useful. It seemed as if there were new people out.

Two Warcats: Ore and Kamu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 pm 

Riding up from the castle came a young Unicorn bushi on a tall horse. Moto Baatar waved jauntily at Togashi Tsukimi before riding to approach Matsu Erina.

"I got your message, Matsu-san, and came to help," he said. "What's the situation look like?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:03 pm 

"Thank you for joining me Moto-san. I am continuing to make my rounds. I have been thinking over the matter at hand, and realized that your expertise would be useful. Would you join me?"

Erina notes with approval that the young Bushi's mount shows no signs of panic from the large predators close by.

It's well trained. An excellent sign.

"I am sure that it has occurred to you Moto-san, that we are currently blind. We expect more refugees to be tricking back, pursued by the spirits of ancestors made flesh, but we don't know for sure, and even then we have no idea as to "how many" and "where from"

"Normally, the response of a competent Lion commander is to send scouts. This is a sound choice, but...there is a unique problem. Our opponents carry the wisdom of generations of Rokugani battle doctrine. Not only do our opponents know the sound next step, they likely know our methods of scouting just as well as we do...perhaps better. What do you think?"

It would be interesting to see the thought process of the Unicorn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:31 pm 

Matsu Erina wrote:
"Normally, the response of a competent Lion commander is to send scouts. This is a sound choice, but...there is a unique problem. Our opponents carry the wisdom of generations of Rokugani battle doctrine. Not only do our opponents know the sound next step, they likely know our methods of scouting just as well as we do...perhaps better. What do you think?"

"Seems to me, we've had more generations than they have," Baatar replied with a grin. "So we should have even more wisdom - if we listened to our lessons in war school, anyway."

"And if I understand the history, I don't think there were any Unicorn around when the Steel Flower ruled," he continued. "So anything cavalry-related that we do should be extra unexpected. What do you think?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:04 pm 

"I had a similar though Moto-san." Erina nods along. "However, we have a problem of numbers? If I might ask, how many Unicorn riders do we have in the city right now? I confess, I haven't has as much time to search as I might like, but I suspect that it would be dangerously low."

Erina is quiet for a moment. "I plan to petition the governor for help with assembling a scout force, one with as much cavalry that can be mustered, on the merits of exactly what you mentioned: that the Unicorn's tactics are less known, and thus less predictable to the enemy. That cavalry has the best chance of giving us accurate numbers and positions in the field, and can skirmish with the opponents own scouts. But I suspect a problem: every body we take is one fewer defending the city."

"We may need to levy any horse we can, including the work horses of the heimen. I am confident in my ability to train up the horses, but the people..." Erina looks a little abashed. "I cannot even ride myself, to be honest. I believe that we would need a trainer."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:14 pm 

Spotting Baatar's wave, Tsukimi waved in return and moved over to join the Moto and Matsu. She let the two samurai speak without any intrusion for a moment, seeming content to listen to start with. Then she decided to speak up.

"The Governor is over there, if you wish to speak with him already?" Tsukimi gestured a hand in the direction of Shimizu Kendo.

"I am no experienced rider, but I'm confident I could ride well enough if need be, Matsu-san, Moto-san. Training animals however is beyond my talent."

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:17 pm 

It was the Dragon from earlier in the day, and she had some news.

"Oh!?!"

Erina glances back. "Thank you Togashi-san. What do you think Moto-san, should we take the issue to the governor? It may hold more weight if representatives from more than one clan ask as one."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:21 pm 

Norikami was still on the wall, not far from the governor unless he'd moved on. He saw the others gathering...a lion and war cats. That was interesting, he'd heard of that unit but never seen one. Then another Dragon with that Moto kid. What were they up to?

He leaned on the wall and watched for now, not looking to disturb them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:22 pm 

Tsukimi nodded. "“Friendship is truly tested when it is time to share the burden”, or so the Tao teaches us. I know the Lion and the Dragon have not always seen eye to eye, Matsu-san... but I feel that if given the opportunity; we will stand beside you in this dark time."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:26 pm 

The governor begins walking the wall again.

[Toward the group or away doesn't matter to me, so you all can make that call]

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:43 pm 

"I...thank you." Erina seems hesitant at first but offers a sincere smile. "I also acknowledge the recent rocky history. However, I have been heartened by the near universal condemnation of what has been done. No matter what happens in the future, I am glad that we stood together in an honorable fight."

The approach of the governor complicates things. She doesn't know what some of the more detail oriented members of her clan are doing, and might be stepping on their toes. But the opportunity is there. In a moment, Erina decides.

She strides toward the governor before going to her knees, bowing with as much decorum she can muster.

"Governor-dono, I hope you are well. May I entreat you for a moment of your time?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next