It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:47 pm

Post subject: Sake to Me! [D1, EE, Open - Little Pearl Sake House]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:30 am 

Asakuro wandered the streets of Toshi no Omoidoso for the early part of the evening, taking in the sights and sounds of the various people working and walking in the shops and stalls of the market; all the while, he himself was keeping an eye out for various trinkets and secretly wishing to find more magnificent creatures for which to bring home to the Imperial Menagerie. Even at times such as these, he was still on the lookout - a distraction, if at least for a few moments, of the chaos outside. As the evening wore on, however, the cold began to set in as Lady Sun made her winter's journey more quickly than in the summer, and it was time to get warm.

The Tortoise ducked into one of the city's fine sake house, the Little Pearl, whom in a brief chat with one of the servants on his way over to a fine and comfortable seating area was named after a precious pearl, though small in size, that was alleged to be as pure white as could possibly be and had been passed down in a special comb setting for generations within the proprietor's family. He got himself into a comfortable spot on one of the cushions near a medium-sized table as if we was to be there a while - with the cold setting in outside, what was the rush after all?

"A bottle of whatever your finest is, as long as it's hot! And a hot soup and some rice balls as well if you will!" the Tortoise proclaimed, putting in his order for food and drink, and once the servant was gone he waited for the warm wonderful things that would soon be delivered before him.

(open thread!)

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

Post subject: Re: Sake to Me! [D1, EE, Open - Little Pearl Sake House]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
Snip

There's a groan of wood behind the tortoise, as though an incredible weight was trying to grind its way down to the earth itself. Then a deep voice with a hint of wariness....or was it irritation?
"Kasuga-san"
Then a pause.

Carries: Himself with dignity.
Also, all the usual bushi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 am 

The Tortoise was quick to turn his head around, perhaps not realizing that there was already another that was near where he was seated. Looking up from his seated position, it does indeed appear someone is there! He turned his torso more fully in order to get a good look at the man that had called out his family name - and indeed, one among the Lion was there, perhaps an elder of sorts? Perhaps this sake house was not as empty as Asakuro thought it was.

"Ah, Ikoma-sama, greetings and good evening," he offered with a respectful bow, or as good of one as he could make from where he was seated. "This one is Kasuga Asakuro. Are you by yourself this evening, Ikoma-sama, or waiting on another? If not, you are more than welcome to join this table."

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:53 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
The Tortoise was quick to turn his head around, perhaps not realizing that there was already another that was near where he was seated. Looking up from his seated position, it does indeed appear someone is there! He turned his torso more fully in order to get a good look at the man that had called out his family name - and indeed, one among the Lion was there, perhaps an elder of sorts? Perhaps this sake house was not as empty as Asakuro thought it was.

"Ah, Ikoma-sama, greetings and good evening," he offered with a respectful bow, or as good of one as he could make from where he was seated. "This one is Kasuga Asakuro. Are you by yourself this evening, Ikoma-sama, or waiting on another? If not, you are more than welcome to join this table."

Sugimoto bows back politely, there is the crack of old vertebrae
"I am told you spoke today in the empresses' defence. I would appreciate the opportunity to join you this evening to speak on that."
He settles himself opposite Asakuro and spends what seems an overly long time smoothing out his kimono

"I am Ikoma Sugimoto."
This time, a long look at the Kasuga, as if the name might mean something to him (which is almost certainly does not).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:05 am 

And indeed, the name was not recognizable, but the Tortoise remained polite to his newfound guest all the same. "Ahhh... the company is much appreciated - a pleasure to have your acquaintance and your attendance at this one's table, Ikoma-sama. There is already hot sake coming and you are more than welcome to it should you choose," Asakuro added with a slow nod as he took another moment to look the Lion over once again.

"So... you were in attendance at court in the afternoon, then? Or does word travel well down the streets of this city?"

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:09 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
And indeed, the name was not recognizable, but the Tortoise remained polite to his newfound guest all the same. "Ahhh... the company is much appreciated - a pleasure to have your acquaintance and your attendance at this one's table, Ikoma-sama. There is already hot sake coming and you are more than welcome to it should you choose," Asakuro added with a slow nod as he took another moment to look the Lion over once again.

"So... you were in attendance at court in the afternoon, then? Or does word travel well down the streets of this city?"

"I spoke, although perhaps not to those as high as you."
There's a long pause
"You did well in the cause you chose, even if I am told there might be a matter of historical debate." A slight shrug, everything with the Ikoma was a matter of historical debate
"It always warms me to see samurai of all clans coming together in an honourable cause." Sugimoto's On softens slightly
"Warm sake would be most welcome."

While he waits for the drinks to arrive, the Ikoma rests his hands on the table
"May I ask you a question Kasuga-san?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:21 am 

"Though this one is not well-trained and well-versed in many historical matters as your esteemed family is much renowned for, Ikoma-sama, this one hopes that the argument made still made it through to those listening in the end." Unsaid, that he hoped people would forget about that little matter that occurred afterwards, but only time would tell.

"I watched further discussion on the matter upon which I spoke from above in the balcony afterwards - as you note it, Ikoma-sama, it seems there are those of many clans that seem to have come together in this trying time, at least as far as this one witnessed from above." A brief glance over to the side to see if drinks would be arriving shortly before returning full attention to Sugimoto.

"Ask away, Ikoma-sama."

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
"Ask away, Ikoma-sama."

The drink finally arrives and Sugimoto waits a few moments to warm his hands around the small cup before asking simply.
"Why do you support the empress?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:43 am 

When the hot sake arrived, Asakuro pours for his guest the choice first cup before pouring one for himself. Though he had been looking forward to enjoying this sake for at least a few minutes now, he too held onto his cup for a bit, content to feel the warming feeling in his hands for a little bit.

"Perhaps Ikoma-san speaking before me put it better with her grasp of the historical records, but the argument which this one attempted to put forth is similar: it is inconceivable to this one that, through whatever way in which this particular Hantei has returned to us, that the law of succession has thus been changed in such a matter that governs them a right to the throne. The Empress and Heir yet live, and by the traditional rites it is the Heir that takes the throne." He swirled his cup a little on top of the table, eying the small little ripples that moved from the center to the sides as he did so.

"This matter is, however, most unprecedented, and it is most certainly not an easy matter of discussion, Ikoma-sama, especially for those in my clan, for the Tortoise serve in special service to the throne, one that now awaits to be filled again. The rite of succession, when laid down, certainly did not conceive of a moment such as this one occurring. Does Ikoma-sama see the situation as it stands differently?" he asked, peering up from the cup to look the Lion in the face.

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:45 am 

There was a slight commotion out in the street, and then the naga slithered his way through the door, taking care to not displace any of the chairs or ornaments. He was looking around curiously, with a heavy coat over his normal clothing. He spotted the two samurai, though he was quickly caught up in conversation with the owner of the sake house, seeking out the reason for its name. Apparently the name pearl had caught his attention.

Carries: Silk clothing, White silk vest that seems to shimmer in the light, several fine bracelets of silver. Travel pack, hunting knife, Yumi (Where Appropriate), Jade Spear (Where Appropriate)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:08 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
Snip

"So you see it as a matter of precedent?"
He weighs this over before nodding.
"A reasonable view to take, although I am no expert. Even more reasonable if it is as you say, a personal one and not simply repeated for the benefit of your clan."
At Asakuro's question there's a slight shake of the head and mustache
"My route was different but my destination the same. I would also add that the punishment for murder of a superior for personal gain is a most unpleasant death. Perhaps if the pretender agreed to such a punishment then afterwards we could discuss his eligibility more closely."

The Shakanar wrote:
There was a slight commotion out in the street, and then the naga slithered his way through the door, taking care to not displace any of the chairs or ornaments. He was looking around curiously, with a heavy coat over his normal clothing. He spotted the two samurai, though he was quickly caught up in conversation with the owner of the sake house, seeking out the reason for its name. Apparently the name pearl had caught his attention.

Sugimoto looks over and after a fraction of a second of hesitation, nods politely. Giant snakemen? Live and let live.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:23 am 

"This one did not consider that point, but it is well-said, Ikoma-sama. There can be but one Emperor under Heaven at any one time, and that there already was on the throne. Even if he was the former Emperor, does that provide any special status above the current one? If one were to say that no, it does not put them on equal footing, and that if one already sits upon the throne then the other must be something other than but not equal or higher than the current one under the One rule, then what you say regarding the actions against one's superior must ring true."

At that, the Tortoise lifted his cup, gave a nod, and took a long draw upon the cup, taking his time to slowly enjoy the warm and inviting liquid. He too looked over briefly to the doorway as the naga came in while he was making his point to the Lion. Upon a second glance, however, he realized that it was not just any naga but the one that had spoken before him in the courtroom.

"One is in luck, Ikoma-sama, for another that speaks before the crowd emerges. There is still plenty room at this table for one and all if you would like them to join - perhaps their perspective, though similar in the end, is also much different from you and I." Naga? For all that the Empire has seen over the past many seasons, a non-issue to Asakuro. Now Thranians... those were a people to be despised, if any but he and his clanmates even knew of them.

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:26 am 

Kasuga Asakuro wrote:
Snip

Sugimoto inclines his head.
"If he wishes to join us I would appreciate a....unique perspective."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:36 am 

He was polite, not deaf. Hearing them discussing himself, he made his way over to the table, giving a proper bow. "Minna-sama. I am known as The Shakanar, Vedic of the Pale Eye. I could not help but overhear discussion of the...." he pauses a moment, as if gathering his words carefully. "Debate that happened earlier about the news out of winter court, and was wondering if you would accept another voice to add to the song." He was nothing if not polite, and for all that he was inhuman, he captured rokugani gestures almost perfectly.

Carries: Silk clothing, White silk vest that seems to shimmer in the light, several fine bracelets of silver. Travel pack, hunting knife, Yumi (Where Appropriate), Jade Spear (Where Appropriate)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:51 am 

"Good evening, Shakanar...-san," the Tortoise responded with a moment of hesitation, offering at least a respectful seated bow in return. Was that the right response? What was the proper etiquette for discussion with such a creature in this new and crazy age? Had he ever really run across that many naga before to know for sure? He could not recall any of their kind coming through the Menagerie at any time he was there at least. If anything, he was certainly about to find out!

"This one is Kasuga Asakuro of the Tortoise Clan, Imperial Peafowl Supervisor," he introduced, noting his clan affiliation as a just-in-case for the new guest. "By all means, a new voice is welcome to this table. Some hot dishes and rice balls should be coming shortly if you wish to partake, and hot sake is already here should you like some." He moved to pick up the serving bottle, both to offer their new guest a cup and, if not that, at least to top off his own before setting it back down.

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:58 am 

The Shakanar wrote:
He was polite, not deaf. Hearing them discussing himself, he made his way over to the table, giving a proper bow. "Minna-sama. I am known as The Shakanar, Vedic of the Pale Eye. I could not help but overhear discussion of the...." he pauses a moment, as if gathering his words carefully. "Debate that happened earlier about the news out of winter court, and was wondering if you would accept another voice to add to the song." He was nothing if not polite, and for all that he was inhuman, he captured rokugani gestures almost perfectly.

"Singing is honourable enough, at the proper time at place."
Sugimoto joins the Tortoise in welcoming the Naga, slowly looking over the new guest.

"Blessings upon you Shakanar-san" Jigoku only knows if that was right.

Last edited by Ikoma Sugimoto on Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:06 am 

"Blessings upon the both of you as well." The long tail curled around himself, forming almost a seat as he perched there, making sure he was entirely out of the way. "I thank you for the offer of sake, but I will pass at this time. My first encounter with it was....memorable" A slight, embarassed smile at that memory. "But discussion in good company, especially of so....momentous a time is always welcome. I always strive to understand our allies among the Rokugani as best as I can, to give proper advice to my people and keep the peace between us."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:18 am 

The Shakanar wrote:
"Blessings upon the both of you as well." The long tail curled around himself, forming almost a seat as he perched there, making sure he was entirely out of the way. "I thank you for the offer of sake, but I will pass at this time. My first encounter with it was....memorable" A slight, embarassed smile at that memory. "But discussion in good company, especially of so....momentous a time is always welcome. I always strive to understand our allies among the Rokugani as best as I can, to give proper advice to my people and keep the peace between us."

"Then I would here what you have to say, even if peace is not what is on my mind."
A muscle in Sugimoto's jaw clenches slightly at the thought, but then relaxes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 am 

"You hold anger that The Hantei was cut down. This is understandable. When one's leader is cut down, by a foe that then seeks to ravish your people and cut them low, see you driven to extinction, it is a natural reaction. It is one that me and my people had not but two and a half years ago." He paused a little. "My people have shattered, and we've found our new way. But, for you, our Allies, there is still hope. The child of your leader lives still. The Hantei was a wise man. He struggled ever to find the proper path, the wise path, that would bring harmony. He saw the wisdom in an alliance with us of Tausha's legion, even when the rest of our people fought against yours, and some still do. I would honor his wisdom, and fight for his line to continue in wisdom and honor, instead of seeing a spiteful ancestor rise from the dead to burn it all to the ground." His voice held a very unsamurai like passion, but that could be excused. He wasn't samurai.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 pm 

The Shakanar wrote:
Snip

Sugimoto strokes his beard slowly, turning to see Asakuro's reaction before making his own reply.
"It is wisdom that you speak, but what would you do with those samurai who support the 'spiteful ancestor'?"
If he disapproves of the passion on display there's no trace of it on the Lion's face.