It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:39 pm

Post subject: Re: [Day 1 - LA] Feels Like Summer [Courtroom]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:31 pm 

Kashiwagi replied, “I am honored that you think it so, I have been present for many interesting events throughout the Empire but this one… well we shall see it through. Perhaps we should not dwell on this heady topic as there will be many more nights to ponder that.”

“Honestly if I find a moment, as I am sure my time will be taken by my duties I hope to get some painting in. I have taken to it in recent months and hope to get some practice in.”

Status: 4.0 | Glory: 10.0 | Infamy: .4 | Honor: Untrustworthy
Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:49 pm 

"It seems much about your life has changed recently. New to marriage and to painting? Did one inspire the other?"

"When I get free time, I tend to go to the dojo to practice. It is not often that I need to use a sword, but it feels good to hold the blade in my hand. What is a samurai without his sword? And so, I keep practice. To remind me of who and what I am. I find it almost meditative to practice, at this point in my life, even if it was not so in my younger days."

Run by GM "Never Messes Up" Lucidicide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:55 pm 

“I am no great poet but I do like observing life and recreating that for others to see and read is important to me. She has encouraged this new interest with her genuine if often backhanded compliments. It comes from a place of affection and she only wishes to see me improve,” he mused.

“A bushi and his blade are one and the same, I trained with the spear but I admit my skill in the hand to hand martial arts is middling at best. The Asako Henshin often use martial pursuits as part of their meditation so I am familiar with martial exercise as meditation.”

“I apologize but you have not mentioned any family, are they handling these events well?”

Carried: Wakizashi, Black Fancy Clothing, Chop, Writ of the Asako Inquisitors, Maho Warding Amulet, Jade Amulet, Trash Queen (Tabby Cat)

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:11 pm 

"They handle it as to be expected. My wife is helping those arriving to the city, as she can, and my children accompany her to help her. It makes me proud, and it gives me the opportunity to think more on the burden of the city.

"As you said of Leadership, I should treat my soldiers as beloved children. Well, as that is so, I must say that my family, this city, is handling things quite well."

He pauses. "I assume you are not yet a parent if you are newly wed? I can tell you there are times when a child has fallen and is in pain and they come running to their parent for comfort. There is little the parent can do but offer solace, as often even bandages are not needed. This flood of people are akin to that; they come bloody and in need."

He shakes his head slightly, as if to clear it. "I believe I am rambling now, Asako-san."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 pm 

“That is vital wisdom from years of experience and well received. I am no father yet but my wife is with child and well along, from her letters. I am cautiously optimistic which is why she did not accompany me to Winter Court, as much as I would have enjoyed her presence. Now I am just glad good sense won out in the end, that was no place for a mother to be,” he said with a frown.

“I spoke with Matsu Mogami earlier at court, if she is representative of the soldiers at your command then we are in good company. This would not be the first time I have taken to the field alongside the Lion, and hopefully not the last, politics notwithstanding.”

He finished his drink and then said, “Another?”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 pm 

"I wish your family well. A new child is a wondrous thing."

He nods at the offer of a drink.

"I must say, I find your confidence and compliments upllifting." He chuckles softly. "If everyone acted as you, it might be too much. But," he says, lifting his newly filled cup. "Many things can be enjoyed in moderation."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:41 pm 

Kashiwagi was taken aback, was he becoming an optimist? That was an astonishing consideration and then responded, “If one feels defeated before they start the prophecy is assured, if one has confidence and properly prepared as much as they are able then victory is much more likely to follow. The times ahead will be hard, but we must stand as examples of courage and good order for those below.”

“That has always been my approach, perhaps it is unbridled optimism but I have never shied from hard work and labor. Plus I find a good rapport with you Shimizu-san, so it seems only right that it buoy my morale.”

"Short of that at least you have another drinking buddy," he mused.

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 pm 

When Kashiwagi finishes, he gets the distinct impression that Kendo might not have heard much after discussion of prophecy.

"I have always been interested in how much one can circumvent prophecy. Is preparation enough? If you consult the stars and they give words of doom, does that mean the preparation you are doing has been in vain or that you should do more of it?"

He takes a drink. "I think that often the future seems to offer less choice than the present, but surely that is an absurd notion. Are my dreams warnings for me to act on or merely a hint at what is to come?"

He takes another drink. "I do not mean to distract us with my musings, but I do find myself rather perplexed by portents and prophecies."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:59 pm 

“In my experience prophecy is both, we all have a destiny but we must also work towards those ends. It is the plight of mortal men that we are pawns of the Fortunes and fate, but we must earn such pleasure and displeasure with our actions. Some of those actions may happen long before we are born but a wheel ever turns and we must deal with the circumstances of that turning even if we were not the impetus for such actions,” he tried to explain.

“In short, I have yet to face a dark omen that I could not avert, certainly was the case during my time in Ryoko Owari… doubly so during a rather bloody wedding in the Suzume province.”

“Submission to fate has never been my way.”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:14 am 

"Tales of you would not have reached my ear if you were such a man, Asako-san. This is why I ask you these questions. Both because you have more experience with most than prophecy and because surely your answers will lend courage."

He smiles at the Phoenix. "Perhaps no dark fate awaits us that we must avert, but if it does, I am starting to believe it can be averted!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:21 am 

“Then I am glad I could lift your spirits if only a small amount, Shimizu-sama and feel free to call upon me at any time. I am ever a servant of the people, it is my Duty and I do so with Sincerity and dedication. Though I will admit having such good company makes it far easier to manage,” he mused taking another drink.

“Whatever is coming, we will do what must be done to keep the city and the people safe. I hope for peace, but we both know we should plan for conflict.”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:28 am 

"Indeed." He nods. "Preparations have already begun, and the Lion daimyo does not sit idly. Though this talk is peaceful, even it serves its purpose in the preparations. An impassioned mind often acts foolishly, and no man can stand alone against an army."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 am 

“Agreed,” he said with a thoughtful nod.

“There were a great deal of impassioned minds at Court, so I am sure there will be ample time for us to reign in those who can’t keep their passions in check. Given the circumstances it isn’t unexpected, still we should be mindful.”

“Though I am sure you have that well in hand. If I may ask, what will the Lion response be?”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 am 

Kendo gives a partial shrug.

"I would tell you if I thought it wasn't imprudent to do so. The situation is still new, and I don't wish to create false impressions. While the Lion are active, it takes time to enact decisions on a large scale."

He looks at Kashiwagi as he takes a drink. "I'd prefer not to speak of the future until it can no longer be avoided, at least in this."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:33 am 

He allowed silence to reign as he drank. He finally said, “Of course.”

“I am curious and I apologize if this is out of turn, but these dreams, are they a common occurrence for you? You seem to have an avid interest in prophecy and the future, have all of the things you dreamed about come to pass?”

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:40 am 

"Certainly not all. But some dreams have a greater weight to them than others, and I've ignored them in the past to my detriment." His hand moves toward the side of his face with his missing ear.

"Sometimes, a blessing can be as much of a curse."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:43 am 

"A worthy blade can cut friend and foe, alike," he mused.

"If you have more such dreams I would be willing to listen, such things should not be discarded lightly."

TN 0 to be Recognized.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:48 am 

"If you are within my city or I within yours, I will share them with you."

He finishes his cup.

"I have very much appreciated your generosity, words, and companionship. I must attend to other duties, as I feel invigorated to do so, and I should strike while the iron is hot."

He gets up and slightly bows to Kashiwagi. "I look forward to our next meeting."

With that (and presumably after Kashiwagi says goodbye), he exits the room.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:50 am 

The Asako went off to handle his affairs, pleased with the encounter.

/scene

TN 0 to be Recognized.