It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:56 pm

Post subject: Stop thinking about wood! (Day 12, Late Night)
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 am 

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

It was very very late.

Chihaya could not remotely sleep.

Face still flushed red, though now from exertion, she was trying to clear her mind. It was not going particularly well.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

The axe rose and fell, the ache in her shoulders a comforting distraction from the fire that seemed to burn, just below the skin. The pounding, insistent voice that thrust into her consciousness whenever her guard dropped, reminding her of his discomforted, desiring expression... the need in his eyes... it was her fault. She'd carelessly done that.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

The repetitive motion was soothing, friction of clothes on skin, cold air making her hair stand on end, goosebumps up the back of her neck. The tempo of her strikes unceasing - a relentless pounding without cessation.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

Guilt fueled her, guilt that she kept mistakenly leading him on... guilt that she was feeling what she was feeling... guilt that she did not trust her husband to be waiting for her when all was done...

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

Like a machine, blow after blow, she kept going, venting heat through each ragged breath, her lips gasping for air as she swung the axe, again and again... and again.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

Profile :: Theme

Post subject: Re: Stop thinking about wood! (Day 12, Late Night)
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 am 

The night, the true depths of night were almost silent in Nikesake. Maybe some far off footsteps from guards roaming the walls or patrolling the streets but most people were fast asleep, no merchants hawking wares or loud clusters of people in the streets.

So the loud thunk of wood being split was an easy sound to pick out from the otherwise peaceful night. Chen followed the source of the sound and saw the sparrow hard at work.

"Its a shame winter has almost passed, Nikesake wouldn't want for wood to keep warm at the rate you're going." Came a voice from the shadows with Chen stepping out a moment later.

When appropriate: Light Armor, Yumi

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:44 pm 

Chihaya, for once, didn't twist the axe and hurt her fingers.

Instead she pivoted toward the voice, the axe swiveling in her hands to a striking posture.

Her gaze fixated toward the sound, and as the man stepped out, she paused, silent for a long moment, save the slowing pace of her breaths, her training having already forced her into a state of focus.

For a brief moment, her expression was one of pure, unadulterated murder, seeing a scorpion step out of the shadows - for just a second, it almost seemed she would cross the intervening ground and seek to split the man like the logs she had been dividing, moments before.

Then she took another calming breath, and answered him, simply, "You are up late, Bayushi-san. I hope I haven't disturbed you."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:05 pm 

Chen didnt miss the expression and his hand rested on his own weapon but as Chihiya spoke his grip loosened. A small smile came to his lips "I realized I made less than a good first impression but I did not know I had earned such ire, if looks could kill." He chuckled moving to a more conversational distance.

He looked up to the moon his voice was soft and different from the last time Chihiya heard it "I am always up late, I prefer places at night, much calmer and usually quieter." He said smirking and giving Chihiya a sidelong glance "what disturbed you so Suzume-sama? Or do you regularly make it a practice to split wood in the dead of night?"

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:16 pm 

"If you are up at night so often, you'd know that I don't."

She gave him a cool stare, and then added, "Whether you earned ire is quite irrelevant - appear mysteriously from the darkness and anyone will be on guard."

With a shrug, she crossed her arms.

"I did not intend to interfere with your peaceful evening - It seems I have a tendency to... trouble... scorpion men."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 am 

Chen chuckled a little "On guard is one thing Suzume-sama, you looked ready to bury that axe in my skull. I apologize for my sudden appearance, it seems my steps are just naturally quiet. And we have been here only a few days I know not what you do normally this could be a Sparrow custom I have not heard of."

To her final statement he nodded and found something nearby to sit on "You speak of Degarashi-san yes? You did not seem to be troubling him when I last saw you two together. He seemed rather fond of you," Chen chuckled a bit "Well he seemed fond of almost everyone to be fair."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 am 

As he made himself comfortable, she shrugged, hefting the axe again.

"This clears my mind."

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

The axe rose and fell, a smooth, practiced motion, and a long, thin log was split neatly.

"Oh, he is a rather affectionate man, I've noticed, but he is not the first scorpion who has been troubled by me - though in his case, I believe the remedy to his troubles may be less painful..."

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

"I've had to teach a few Scorpion before that, swim or not, they did not know how to fly. I hope you are not one of those, Bayushi-san. I do not enjoy... unpleasantness."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:59 am 

Chens eyebrows rose a bit at her words and a mischievous smile crossed his lips "my my Suzume-sama to tempt a scorpion....though I can't say I blame him for being.......troubled in such a way." He said with a significant look.

There was a pause as he processed her threat for a moment "I have no aspirations to meet the sky, my feet firmly planted on the ground suits me well enough. Believe me Suzume-san if I wished to engage in unpleasantness with you we wouldn't be talking about it." He said with a casual smile on his lips.

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:08 am 

"Oh, I'm certain that is so."

She smiled, though it didn't reach her eye, which remained aware. One long finger traced the scar on her neck, and she added, "My other encounter did not involve much talk either. However in the end..." A shrug. The point was fairly clear.

"As I said, I do not enjoy unpleasantness - and the matter is well closed, by agreement of all parties." That was said with a great deal of finality.

"As for temptation - I assure you I have not attempted such - unfortunately I seem to have an effect on certain men that is... entirely unintentional."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:39 am 

"I'm sorry others gave you such a low opinion of us or at least some lingering distrust. To automatically assume I am here to harm they must have really made a bad impression. I am glad it is settled." He noted her smile it mirrored his own, though few smiles did reach his eyes unless he was really trying.

"But I wonder if it is entirely unwelcome?" He said thoughtfully "this effect you have on men do you wish it wasn't so? Obviously in this scenario it seems to have caused you a great deal of discomfort."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:55 am 

"Events were chaotic. I'm sure their behavior was... unusual."

With a faint shrug, she wandered over to the wood pile, gathering up more wood. Once she had an armful, she turned and headed back to the stump.

"As for the effect I have... it is flattering, but it can be inconvenient. If I remember correctly, you were affected not so differently, last we met." The comment made flatly, perhaps an accusation of insincerity?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:23 pm 

Chen chuckled a little "oh trust me Suzume-sama your effect on me has not lessened just my expression of it. You'll excuse me from thinking that you aren't exactly open to any advances at the moment with how my presence was received."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:35 pm 

"Yes, well..."

She smiled dangerously.

"I'm afraid appearing from the darkness does lend you a certain ominous aura."

Setting the wood down, she took up the axe again, letting it swing idly from one hand as she set a new wedge onto the stump for splitting.

"So, now that you've found the source of the noise... is there anything you need of me?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:46 pm 

A dry chuckle was heard in his throat "ominous huh? I suppose I've been called worse in my day."

His eyebrows rose a bit at her question "need? Or no I doubt it, if you'd rather be left alone to chop your wood and dwell on whatever did or likely im guessing didn't happen I can resume my nightly patrols."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 pm 

She shrugged.

"You came here, Bayushi-san, so you know best if you do or don't have business with me."

A laugh, and she hefted the axe, bringing it down with a sharp motion.

*ssshhhhhhhhThunk*

Collecting the wood for the pile, she added, "I make no demands, I just ease the tension beneath the surface in a productive way."