It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Post subject: It's Complicated [D13, LE, Closed]
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 pm 

If Degarashi were the type to pace, he might be inclined to do so now, waiting in a public but moderately quiet restaurant for his guest. Assuming that they were planning to show up at all, which was up in the air as far as he could see. After the issue of the previous day, few things could surprise him now.

Still, there was a chance she'd show, so he had picked a rather specific place with a rather specific menu, some of which had already been set out on the table before him. Degarashi had to smile to himself a little for that one.

Apparently the yam soup was especially good here.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: It's Complicated [D13, LE, Closed]
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:31 am 

As invited, Chihaya did come.

She came... perhaps in an unexpected form.

Dressed in a red kimono, with a dun brown obi, the unusual part was that the neck was... it had fur, white and soft, it surrounded her neck.

Why she had chosen to make such a modification, who could say?

Entering the restaurant, she was directed to his table. As she arrived, she paused, to savor the aroma. That was a smell she had not expected.

Seeing the scorpion, she raised an eyebrow, face lighting with a faint smile. Offering a bow of greeting, "Bayushi-san, I see you are trying to win me over with my nostalgic fare."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 am 

Degarashi was pleased when Chihaya actually showed up, and turned to greet her as she approached. The words he'd chosen, however, died upon his tongue when he saw her, dressed in her unusual new kimono.

Whatever the intended effect, the result had Degarashi rising slowly from his seat, mouth agape and eyes wide. "Merciful...kami...."

After a prolonged silence, he eventually managed to wrangle his thoughts and bowed, the motion swift and unsteady, like a teenager only just learning the proper ways of conversation.

"I thought it a fitting choice, Chihaya-san. We may very well part ways for some time after this, I wanted the meeting to be," he stood, looking her over again. "A pleasant memory..."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:23 am 

That was an interesting reaction. She'd been looking for one, but was rather surprised, all the same, at the one she got.

A pleasant smile on her features, she nodded, and then took the offered seat.

"I am glad, now, that I did not also introduce you to the Unicorn greeting - they clasp hands and wiggle them up and down, it's very brusque." A faint smirk. "If adopting just a small portion of their attire had this effect, then I suppose that might have entirely disjointed your plans."

Nodding toward the restaurant, writ large, she added, softly, "You did show remarkably good taste, choosing this place, so I suppose we both scored our points in this first moment. You haven't the faintest idea what memories these aromas bring back to me." Her alto grew somewhat husky, distant with the weight of that remembrance.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:31 am 

He frowned, looked at his arm, then back at Chihaya, imagining clasping them together as a greeting. "Strange customs indeed. Though, and this might be a point to note in the future, it would make hiding a blade in one's sleeve exceedingly difficult. Perhaps the Unicorn come from lands with a very harsh history behind them."

Seating himself carefully, he nodded to Chihaya's words, and tried not to shiver too visibly at their delivery. "I do not, no. But one who so longs for home the way you do would likely appreciate the subtle reminder. At least, that is the intent. I didn't want..." He stopped himself, not wanting to finish the thought that he didn't want the horrible end to their previous conversation to be their defining memory.

It was, however, written all over his face.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:00 am 

"That had not even occurred to me... I suppose that is true - though it feels to me that a strike with the off hand would be easiest while you have your opponent's sword hand occupied - especially were you left-handed." And everyone knew left-handedness was a sign of being ill fated, so for them to attempt such betrayal was, after all, only natural.

A soft laugh, and she smoothed the fabric of her knees as she settled into a relaxed seiza.

"I appreciate the choice of locale very much, Degarashi-san. It was most thoughtful."

With a nod, she added, "I haven't seen a proper yam soup in ages... not savory like this."

Pulling the bowl toward her, she examined the rest - it was different than home, but in a thoughtful way. Lion lands provided a different, lighter blend of tea, and access to different sorts of fish meant they would make a poor stock, so she guessed... chicken broth, with egg?

Savory indeed.

The yams themselves, diced finely, were also now quite soft, making for a creamy, savory soup. Nothing like the light, thin broth of miso. This was a soup that could keep you warm on a blistering winter night.

With a contended smile, she claimed a spoon, gently stirring the dish. In that moment she seemed peaceful, almost serene.

"I hope you like it - I know it is overpowering for those with more refined palettes." Much like most things in the Suzume valley, from stories, to weather, to cuisine... it was all a bit intense.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:24 am 

"Also true, but any seasoned veteran like yourself is certain to know that any attack made with such direct contact bears a huge chance of failure. Even the slightest of movements would be felt long before it began in truth."

As Chihaya looked into her soup, traveling to distant memories he could only guess at, Degarashi watched Chihaya, as always mesmerized by her in ways he couldn't quite comprehend. "I should remind you that I've become quite accustomed to being overwhelmed where you are concerned, Chihaya-san. I'm growing rather fond of being out of my depths."

He took a questing mouthful of soup, biting into a bit of yam without knowing what to expect. The taste was strange to him, but not unpleasant, and he smiled as he took a second bite, then a third.

"It is pleasing in ways I could not have predicted. That speaks volumes that I would struggle to put into words otherwise."

A beat, then. "Do you know what you will do, now that the siege is lifted?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:47 pm 

His praise still had an impact, though she was getting slightly better at hiding it. Still, she smiled when he began to eat, and seemed to enjoy it.

Taking a spoonful, she blew on it gently, and then paused with it halfway to her mouth when he inquired about her plans.

Lowering the spoon back to the bowl, she looked thoughtful. "I am not certain. I feel honor bound to do what I can against this army - I may take to back country and head south - after all, it currently resides between me and my home. Perhaps I can link up with Imperial forces, lend my blade to the cause."

Taking the spoon, she lifted it to her lips and drained it, taking advantage of his response to enjoy the soup while it was hot.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:52 pm 

"A reasonable course of action." He nodded, not terribly surprised at the answer, even though he hadn't known for sure what her plans were likely to be.

Degarashi also enjoyed some soup in between responses, as much out of a wish to experience the soup while hot as to extend the conversation before it inevitably turned uncomfortable, which he was certain it would eventually.

"I'll be heading to Dragon territory, as I mentioned. The offer of a letter of recommendation to be elevated to teacher among the Shosuro Butei is too great to simply ignore. Not only does it allow me to serve my lord admirably with the talents unique to me, but it also...feels right, in a way."

It also meant he'd be heading essentially the opposite direction from Chihaya, rather unsurprisingly.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:18 pm 

"Ah. I could see that being a good course - I just... as a bushi, I don't feel right leaving this army loose if there is anything, anything at all I can do about it."

A little shrug. "Also, if I make a good impression, I may be able to see about integrating a portion of our own force into the Imperial legions - something tells me that unified units that are beyond... political concerns... may be a useful resource in the future."

Her tone showed that she knew full well that the legions were entrapped in all manner of political maneuver, but that they provided balancing forces against any one clan in ascendance.

"Regardless, I wish you good fortune in your journey - I imagine you would make a fine teacher, though I hope perhaps one less ruthless than your own sensei. For the sake of your students." A pause, and she added, "Perhaps you will discover the mystery of the Togashi after all - just how far those tattoos go."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:41 pm 

"And as a bushi I would never question your devotion to the protection of the empire. But as a man of the courts and arts, my talents serve best elsewhere. I hope that in every facing we're likely to achieve, we never find ourselves in opposition."

He regarded his soup, idly poking a lump of yam wl which was seared on one side. "I wish you luck with the legions, they are likely to be needed more in the coming months than ever, as the return of the Chrysanthemum brought up unpleasant questions about loyalty which won't soon be forgotten."

Then he laughed. "Ah, yes. I'll likely be harsh, as it helps one prepare for the kind of life we're likely to live, but I don't think I'll be as harsh as she was. She seemed to enjoy herself a bit too much." His eyes rose to Chihaya's, glittering, then briefly dipped down and back up. "I too am curious what lies all the way down, and since Chihaya-san also seems curious, I'll do my best to find out."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:58 pm 

"Well, you'll have to send word some day - it was a question raised often enough by soldiers on the long marches of the Naga War... men with nothing to do but speculate."

A nod, and she finished the soup, lifting the bowl and draining it. She did the job neatly, but even so, a few drops found their way onto her cheek and chin, forcing her to dab them with a little pink in her cheeks.

"I also hope we do not find ourselves in opposition - in no small part because by the time my skills become involved, things rarely end well. The empire has had enough war for a season, I should think."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:13 pm 

"The empire will never have enough war, I'm afraid. It is a hungry beast." Degarashi punctuated this grim notion by finishing his soup as well. "And I'd very much hate to be brought against youb with my favored terrain." What that was he didn't say, hoping Chihaya never had cause to find out for herself.

"You seem to have greatly enjoyed your dinner. I'm quite glad for that." His cheeks were also pink, but not necessarily from the food. "I spent more than a little effort locating this place, but you can always trust the Crane to ensure some manner of variety in their cities."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:11 pm 

"And I suppose the Lion felt no need to change that, when they took control..."

A faint smile. She wondered if he had ordered a full course or just the soup - not wishing to pry.

"Your effort was, I hope, well spent. I found the recipe to be quite different than those I often use, but the end result no less enjoyable."

Tilting her head, curiously, she added, "Do you have a patron recommending you to the Dragon, to ease your travels in their land?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:23 pm 

"Or the Crane simply continued to make alterations that the Lion either didn't notice or cared too little about to change. Every act of defiance is a great act, for a Crane."

While he hadn't ordered a full course, he had chosen a second. The first,a hearty soup using yams as the basis, and the second, a light dessert, featuring a sweet paste that also, and perhaps unusually, featured yams as the primary ingredient, undercut with hints of ginkgo and green tea.

"The idea came from a discussion with Agasha Poemu-sama, and I've brought the matter up to Yogo Sukima-denka. Between the two of them, I believe the matter will go smoothly."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 pm 

"Ah, so it will be a display of your art with official sanction."

She nodded. "I can see why Yogo-san supported the idea - and the Dragon likely will welcome your talents after a winter spent trapped in their mountain homes."

As the dessert arrived, she examined it with a curious expression, trying to make sense of it from a culinary perspective. How had they made this? Could she also?

Realizing, belatedly, that she likely looked picky or ungrateful, she took a spoonful and shoved it into her mouth.

"Mmmf!"

Eye opened in surprise, she held the bite for a moment, savoring the unexpected flavors.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 pm 

"An exchange, most likely. A beneficial tour may lead to a letter of recommendation to the position of instructor, which may promote members of the Dragon to an exchange of study between their schools and those of the Butei... It's all very political."

Degarashi couldn't help but smile broadly at Chihaya's stunned reaction, though his own cheeks colored with delight when he tasted the dessert for himself, having wanted to experience it at the same time as she did. After the first bite he gestured towards the treat.

"The Crane, yet again. I've no idea how they created it, but if I had to hazard a guess, someone probably tried to make it into a mochi filling, only to find the yams too light to pair properly with the bun. So they simply removed the bun and made some changes to craft it into its own dish."

He lifted a second bite to his lips. "How does Chihaya-san find it?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 pm 

"Mmmf!"

Swallowing it down at last, she replied, with a dry smile, "I think it obvious, but if you need me to say it so directly... quite good. I would love to learn how they did it - it'd be the talk of the valley."

Glancing at the man, she interlaced her fingers, resting her elbows on the table edge, fingers supporting her chin.

"I find so much is political - even who we are allowed to call friends... I can't say I like that aspect of things - I would keep my friends, no matter how political winds blow... but I understand such a sentiment is idealistic at best."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 pm 

"Such talk certainly makes sweet desserts, and sweet company, all the more relevant." In a slight mirror of Chihaya, Degarashi folded good hand on the table before him, expression calm. "But I do feel as though politics have done little to interfere with certain friendships thus far."

There was no avoiding it, for Degarashi at least. Having spent any time in pleasant conversation with the Sparrow, his eyes began to take on that same admiring quality they often got. It drew a sigh -exasperation at himself?- as the Scorpion tried to reassemble his On.

"Sometimes it feels as though I've been placed on limited time in your presence, Chihaya-san."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 am 

She sighed, shaking her head. "I'm not sure what to do with you - should we get you sake to help numb the effect, or would it only accelerate it?"

With a faint laugh, she added, "At least enjoy your dessert first - this really is something new. I've got to find out how they did this."

Taking another bite she gave a muffled, contented sigh.