It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: Re: [Day Twelve - Early Afternoon] On the Dragon's Perch
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:00 am 

"I can't imagine how any other Clan would fare just as well...I don't think it was long ago since the Dragon lands hosted the stay of the Emperor?" She brought up quizzically, as she wasn't there personally and only heard from word of mouth. "It could have happened then. I suppose the fact that they've managed to plow through the Lion so easily is concerning in itself something to behold for the rest of us."

She nodded. "Hai, I suppose that is also true. There are even some here who seem to stand on this side of the wall but favour the returned Emperor's bloodthirsty bid."

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:20 am 

"You need to look past the war, Mirumoto-sama," Tetsu urged, "It is both of great importance and, at the same time, a mere lesson on the path of Enlightenment." She turned to Wasako, a blank look on her face. "If the Lion had won immediately, they would be as powerless as they have always been and perhaps always will be."

Tetsu looked back down to the streets. "Interesting. They claim to believe in his claim but not the will to stand beside him."

Typically Carries: Robes (Reinforced when Appropriate)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:33 am 

Wasako raised her brow at Tetsu curiously at first and turned to look at the street. Perhaps it was a sort of Togashi riddle to consider. "Perhaps powerless in their expected reaction to a war. I suppose there could have other paths taken, even if they aren't so obvious and may seem ludicrous to a force who relish in wanton violence."

She gave a slow shake of her head. "I suppose they don't...or perhaps see themselves as diplomats to the opposing side, while enjoying the protection of the city. Supposedly, some might just see some legitimacy in the claim...especially if one adheres to the concept that might make right."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:03 am 

From the street came a familiar looking figure. It was hard to pinpoint at first without her trademark white cowl, but the tall and lean figure was undoubtedly Togashi Tsukimi. Even if she kept a brisk pace walking, there was a pain to her steps. There were several bruises on her visible skin, dried blood from wounds, and mud caked into her hair and clothes.

As she crossed the treshold into the embassy's property, she released a huge sigh of relief. Her breath almost seemed to have traces of embers hanging in the air from the sigh.

"I've returned..." she said with a dry voice.

“At times, the voice of peace must ring like Thunder.”

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:43 am 

"It does lie in reaction, Mirumoto-sama, but it is not what you speak of. They are powerless because their purpose is to maintain the status quo. Everything a Lion samurai does, even his own breath, is not for his own sake." Tetsu drew her finger across her neck like a blade. "If one were to take my head, it would not be for himself but for his ancestors."

Tetsu pursed her lips. "Does might not make right though? Perhaps not always, but say that he wins. History will be written as he dictates. Surely he will say that he was in the right all along."

The Togashi was going to continue her twisted speech on The Ethos of Face Punching when another woman approached. "It would appear it was a difficult journey, Togashi-san," Tetsu commented with an amused smile, "Welcome back."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 am 

Wasako did recall the supposed ancestor invasion that had plagued the city a few days ago and the Dragon had even discussed it in regards to the returned souls. She nodded to Tetsu first but then suddenly found herself standing to her feet when she saw Tsukimi approach the threshold, another returned soul but from the same realm. Her eyes went wide, was this another one of those Togashi projections? She imagined that Tsukimi would make herself look better at the very least. However, there was a bit of hope and relief that began to flood her heart seeing her kinswoman standing before her. This must be Tsukimi in person.

"Tsukimi-san!" she called out and took a step forward before realizing she was on the roof. Muttering with some annoyance, she bent to hang off the edge before dropping down to the ground below.

She quickly strode over to her and placed a careful hand on her shoulder, careful that it wasn't a spot that appeared to have been bleeding at one point. There was a sort of anxious and pleased smile that made it way to her lips. "You made it out!"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 am 

"A most difficult journey, sister." She swallowed dryly. Which wasn't exactly a pleasant feeling.

Seeing Wasako there, moving down from the roof, it gave some comfort to her heart that her fellow Dragon had made it out alive after she had lost sight of them.

"Wasako-sama... it's a relief that you made it. I--" Tsukimi coughed dryly, and shifted her weight from one foot to another. It was a bit painful to stand on one for too long. "... I'm sorry to say that Tani-sama didn't make it out. The two of us, Soshi-sama, and another Scorpion that wasn't with us for the mission, tried to escape. Soshi-sama and Tani-sama were captured again last I saw."

The Scorpions were strangers to her, and although she wished them no harm, the loss of Tani again was a hard blow to her. As was the loss of her own weapons. It was too late to realise now it had been foolish to take her swords with her out there on the mission, but she had been confident in their success.

Has: Sacred Daisho, Light Armor (battle), necklace of prayer beads (jade), figurine of Jizo, parchment and charcoal, white cowl. Lion tattoo on left arm, Dragon tattoo on left thigh.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:20 am 

"Hope that they have the strength to escape again later," Tetsu concluded. She remained on the roof, not seeing the need for a warm welcome.

Then her eyes went to Tsukimi's shifting stance. "Your legs. Are they broken?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am 

Wasako gave a few slow nods and quickly made her available beside Tsukimi, providing her somewhere to lean so that she needn't play a balancing game with herself. She ushered her inside to the Dragon embassy to the nearest chair she could find. There weren't many sitting around after the quick reinforcement job but she did manage to find one at the foyer to settle her down. "I was able to return with Kitsu-dono. The honoured Bayushi Setsuna perished from their wounds, unfortunately..."

She nodded gravely at her story, recalling that the Matsu was a friend of hers and unfortunately didn't do her any favours that she wasn't able to leave with her. They might have further plans for Tani but it was indeed a relief to see Tsukimi alive, especially when she had initially thought they would have no reason to keep her alive. It seemed Touki was right on his hunch after all. "I'm sorry that Matsu-sama hadn't able to make it out...but I am sure she is still alive. Please, rest, for now. I'm sure Matsu-sama would want you in good health."

Peering around, she looked to see if Tetsu followed them in or if anyone else had seen injured Tsukimi from street level. A shugenja would be good right about now...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 am 

Tsukimi shook her head as she looked at Tetsu. "No... but... their interrogators were not kind to them. And the prison-hole was cramped." Quietly she praised the power of the dragons that had helped her through the ordeal.

There was no resistance offered as Wasako guided them indoors, and it was with great relief that she could sit down in such safe surroundings now.

"Thank you, Wasako-sama..." she slowly exhaled and relaxed a little. "... It's good that Kitsu-dono made it out safely, but... we pray for Bayushi-sama's return to the wheel and that their actions have garnered them good kharma." Tsukimi's hands, battered and bruised, made a weak gesture of prayer when speaking of the deceased.

"I'm sorry to say that this is no triumphant return."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:43 am 

Wasako was unable to provide Tsukimi with any further healing but she did make her way over to a clay decanter and poured Tsukimi some water in a bamboo cup. She would return with the cup and hand it to her, while keeping the rest of the water closer by in case she needed more. Having made the journey herself, she knew how tiring it might be and it wasn't any easier with injuries.

She did provide a one-handed gassho at the well-wishes toward the honoured Bayushi Setsuna. It seemed that the Scorpion was quite an enigma that even her favoured, and perhaps only, opponent knew never little about them.

"Not all returns need to be triumphant. At the very least, I see a small blessing in this one," she said with a solemn smile at Tsukimi. While she was glad the Dragon was back, she also understood why it might be a hollow victory to her. "But I am very glad that you have returned and I'm sure the other Dragon will feel the same. Once you are rested, I think we can decide where we could go from here, including planning for Matsu-sama's rescue."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:17 am 

Tetsu looked around idly before jumping down onto the street. She shook out the impact from her ankles and headed on inside after them.

"Hopefully their spirit caries the lesson of this lifetime," she said in regards to Setsuna. Then there was a quizzical raising of the brow. "They?"

She shook her head as the identity of a dead Scorpion mattered little to her. "It is a triumphant return, though. You survived through their torturous games and made it out on your own strength. Tell me: do you believe this Matsu Tani is too weakened to escape on her own?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:28 am 

She shrugged. Setsuna had been a brief mystery to her.

"A rescue wont be anytime soon. The army is leaving and it seemed they would take the remaining prisoners with them." But judging from her tone she felt some hope that they wouldnt just be killed.

Tsukimi looked to Tetsu. "She is not weak, but practicing patience and caution in balance with being alert and quick to act is a difficult challenge. Her injuries were too much to allow her escape today."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:28 pm 

"Matsu Tani is a Matsu and a great samurai not just among her Clan but the Empire," she brought up to the Togashi, in case Tetsu was not familiar with her reputation. "If she were ever allowed to recover, I'm sure she could escape on her own. Unfortunately, they likely know this as well and will do whatever they can to ensure she doesn't escape them so easily."

However, Tsukimi's own escape might have made Tani's much harder in the future but that wasn't something she was going to mention.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:18 pm 

The cup of water was a much welcome relief for her dry and sore throat. Bless the Water Dragon...

"What have things been like here? All of our kin are safe, I pray?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:40 pm 

"Then it would be best if she recovers before it is too late. Or if there is some way to free her," Tetsu trailed off. She wasn't about to plan a rescue attempt.

"I've only recently arrived myself. We have a few sisters here, it seems."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 am 

Wasako nodded soundly to Tetsu and frowned quietly in thought. They had been so close with their previous attempt and if the rule of travelling armies were true, then another attempt must be doable as it wouldn't be too hard to catch up. The next time this was attempted, it was likely going to take some strong hands and a healer to make it through...

The Mirumoto gave a shake of her head and offered a refill for Tsukimi. "Things have been fine, I believe all of our kin are accounted for. Mai-san is about. Agasha-sama's schedule might be hard to pin down, perhaps her need for privacy...Everyone else has been pretty active and it might be easier to catch them incidentally than not. Oh, and..."

She turned to regard the other Togashi, seeing as she wasn't a familiar cousin to Tsukimi, "This is Togashi Tetsu-san, who had been kind enough to accompany me on my watch."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:16 am 

"Mai and Myo-en of our Order is here too, sister," Tsukimi confirmed to Tetsu. The young woman seemed familiar, but when Tsukimi had left the mountain to wander the Empire, Tetsu had not yet been reborn to be Tetsu. Nor did she have those tattoos at the time.

Hearing that everyone was still here and well, she nodded approvingly. "That's good to hear. I'll have to find Myo-en-senpai later too." And see that the Hand is still safe. "Have there been any more attacks in the city?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:23 am 

She gave a grave shake of her head at the question. Normally, that would have meant good news but the departure of the Steel Chrysanthemum left more questions, especially with Tani still imprisoned. "I'd like to think that our rescue attempt might have given the Steel Chrysanthemum some pause but we woke up to see a majority of the army gone, as you likely found out. There hasn't been word of a pursuit, at least not one being coordinated with a city as a whole. I imagine that the weary defenders here are pleased to find respite finally, even if the future of the Empire does still hang in the balance."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:25 am 

"I had the pleasure of seeing them earlier today." Tetsu pursed her lips. "The defenders of this city should pursue them if they are hoping to stop them at the city. Though perhaps the Imperial Legions must stand alone."