It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:41 pm

Post subject: Re: (D9, EM, Dragon Embassy) Breaking Fast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:21 am 

Poemu gave a small shrug. "Perhaps not. I don't know much about the man's history or personality. Perhaps the Dragon spited him in his first life? Regardless... I plan on being as important as I can in this case. The more I can do to help, the more the Dragon can do to help, the better, as far as I'm concerned."

She paused, frowning softly and pausing in her meal. "...Though from his words, I am not certain Togashi-dono shares my enthusiasm to act."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:57 am 

"For the moment, his wrath is pointed at the Lion, it seems." Myo-en nibbles another bite of natto as she considers this. "Perhaps he is like the carpenter's apprentice in the tale, who only had eyes for the straight trees he could use as lumber right away, and didn't think at all about the value of the big gnarled tree he couldn't carve. The useless tree thrives because no one values it enough to cut it. But that doesn't mean it really is no help to anybody."

She drinks a little more soup and sighs, a quiet sound of simple bodily contentment.

"Why do you say that? About Lord Togashi, I mean."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:03 am 

To the former part, Poemu could only nod in agreement. Besides, the second had a question which left her searching for words. "Ano... I believe you said you had met Togashi-dono before Myo-en-san, so perhaps you understand him better than I. From all I gathered of the talk we shared that first day in Toshi no Omoidoso, he wished us to doubt and question our anger and doubt of Hantai Okocheo, to think on the matter deeply before conclusion. Is that not so?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:14 pm 

"The way of Togashi is to question everything," Myo-en says gravely. "Our feelings, our understanding, the actions of others. I don't think Lord Togashi was telling you whom to support." She meditates on this for a few beats, eyes slipping half-closed--it is, after all, presuming much to try to guess everything Lord Togashi's words meant, or didn't mean. But this guess is one in which she's fairly confident.

"Sometimes you question, and your conclusion does not change. But you understand it better, and it means more, when you build it for yourself."

Last edited by Togashi Myo-en on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:00 am 

Poemu nodded softly, her own expression thoughtful before she seemed to start a bit and look sheepishly to Myo-en. "I am sorry, Myo-en-san. I am not that good at more spiritual or intellectual matters. I did not think he was telling us any such thing, but merely that we should not so quickly support one person. I have tried to question matters as the days have gone one, but i am not certain if I am doing it right. I am not fully certain how one goes about questioning what you believe so strongly."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:22 am 

"Shinsei said, 'Following my footsteps will not lead you to what I found.'" Myo-en turns her soup bowl around in her hands, noticing the textures of the glazed pottery and the way it still holds warmth against the early spring chill, though its contents are half gone and no longer piping hot. "That does not mean we can't reach what Shinsei found. But we will find it by making our own path."

She pauses for a sip of soup, and then sets the bowl down gently before continuing, "If you want to search for your own path, you could start by asking how you came to the place where you are standing now."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:37 am 

Poemu's brow scrunched up a bit and her lips pursed in concentrated thought. This was just the sort of thing she had meant she wasn't good at. No, perhaps that wasn't right. Perhaps she was just too straight forward.

"...Ano... well... I... I think I always know how I got here. It's certainly not a path I know anyone else has taken in quite the same way. I am me, and you are you, and so on. I am not quite certain I ever thought I would find the wisdom of Shinsei, let alone enlightenment of any sort." She paused, sighed, then blew some hair out of her face in sheepish exasperation. "Maybe I'm over thinking this. Or under thinking."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:18 am 

"So, how, then? The journey of ten thousand ri begins right beneath your feet. And ends there." Myo-en munches a bit more rice.

"Don't make it too complicated. How did you get to where you are standing on the matter of the spirit Emperor, for example? That is a place with many trails leading to it. I have mine, you must have yours..."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:03 am 

Poemu's face scrunched up a bit. "Ano... he's a murderer, and I think murder is wrong. I get that wars and battles happen, but those are much different than slaughtering people in a place of peace and diplomacy."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:29 am 

"He is also an Emperor. Or... that is what he was, and what he still claims to be." Myo-en pokes at the nearly empty dish of pickled vegetables with her chopsticks, maneuvering in to position to seize a tiny sliver of winter cabbage. "Many people think his claim is not wrong. At least that is how it seems, from the talk here and at Toshi no Omoidoso."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:47 am 

"Perhaps it does not line up with Rokugani theology Myo-en-san, but I don't believe it is any more right for an Emperor to murder someone. Besides, is there any greater crime than killing an Emperor?" Her face remained scrunched up in consternation, and she had paused in her meal.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:12 pm 

"Is there anyone whose death an Emperor may not command?" Myo-en frowns pensively. "It seems the path behind your feet runs through murder, or the idea of murder."

She rolls her patterned shoulders back, stretching a little.

"If the spirit Emperor did not kill the late Hantei, or if the death was justified... would his claim be good then?"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 pm 

"It... would, at the least, give me more pause to think," Poemu said after a moment. "As it stands, I have not heard any justification, and there seems little question the death was at the Steel Chrysanthemum's order."

She took a moment more to think before shaking her head. "Besides, even if we took the idea that the returned Hantei was still an Emperor, rather than a former Emperor, or even a spirit of Toshigoku... one would assume the one person not below an Emperor is an Emperor. You asked if anyone may not be commanded to death by an Emperor, but the question as I see it is, 'is there anyone who may command the death of an Emperor?'."

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:08 am 

"Shinsei said that a fishing net is for catching fish. Once you get the fish, you can forget about the net. And words are for catching ideas--once you get the idea, you can forget about the words." Myo-en nods, as if this somehow clarifies.. something.

"We are both using a lot of words about law, but for each of us, this is only a way to catch thoughts. The truth is, I think that if a very wise magistrate tells me today that he can find a good basis in Imperial law for everything the spirit Emperor has done, I still will not believe that it is right for him to regain the throne." She nods solemnly. "I also guess you might feel the same way, Poemu-sama. For me, the reason is spiritual. For you, I think it is not about law so much as human ethics."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:45 pm 

Poemu nodded, giving Myo-en a look like a wondering little sister would give a particularly wise older sister. "Sugooooi. Myo-en-san is just right! I am unsurprised that you made such an impression with fate that the mirror was found by you. Myo-en-san is so wise and pretty!"