It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:35 pm

Post subject: Re: I bet they're hungry (Day 10, EM)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 am 

Turtle and bird both wander inside when it is safe to do so - and that is when the smell hits his nose. He waved his hand in front of his face for a few seconds to dissipate the worst of it until he could adjust: such smells came and went in what was the unseen and not-so-pretty side of running the Imperial Menagerie.

"Up-up," he said, tapping the side of an overturned empty crate twice with the stick, and up Mamoru flew to settle and perch and watch the chaotic mess for the time being. He left the stick on top of the box with the bird and surveyed the scene: more dogs in distress, farm animals, and birds. And if this was the same merchant... this man had all this and a peafowl and a lioness on top of all that?

"... you, with the meat: see that they get fed before we open their cages so that they each get their own portion and not fight each other over the cuts. Be generous with the portions." The goats, it appeared to him, were perfectly fine and dandy as they were, at least for now until the dogs were let out, and the sparrows would be no issue remaining in their little cage. So with that, he walked to the chicken cage on its side.

"Shh, shh now, it'll be alright... let's get you upright first and go from there, shall we?" he soothed to the flapping birds as he bent down to talk to them. He wrapped his fingers around the roof of the cage and in a smooth motion pulled upward and sat back up from his kneeling position in order to lift and upright the cage.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:09 am 

Chihaya watched, impressed, as the two of them began setting the mess into order.

Rather helplessly she moved out of the way, finding herself by the sparrow cage.

One, a young male, flew to the edge of the cage, beating wings against the bars angrily.

That one had fire in him...

She contemplated trying to stick her finger in the cage, and then decided not to.

Best *not* to get bitten in the morning.

"Do you have any idea what we can do with them? I'm sure a shop would buy the chickens, but it seems a little unfair to starve them and then eat them."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:45 pm 

"They too would need to be fed," he acknowledged once he had the cage upright and inspected it to ensure that it was sturdy, stable, and would not fall over again. "This one is staying at a particular inn, and it is likely the innkeeper would either be able to take use of them or have contact with an animal merchant that would - the same goes with the pair of goats, though to this one they appear healthy enough," he added as he looked to the pair from across the way.

"That should be easy enough I suspect. The two dogs that the Mantis owned herself... her family can be found and the dogs delivered to their safe custody and care in time. The other dogs, however... uncertain what to do with them," he said, shaking his hand.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Profile!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:34 pm 

"Perhaps we might find individuals looking for a pet?"

She frowned, examining the song birds. Most were quite upset by her proximity, but a small one in the back corner was quite calmly ignoring her.

"I had offered to take care of the sparrows until they could be released... I am told they need to molt before they will regrow their flight feathers."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:37 pm 

"It might be hard at this time to find those seeking a per, because of the uncertainty," Poemu said softly as she finished opening the windows. Already there was a touch of fresh air mixing with the stale smell. "No one will want an extra mouth to feed if they're forced to flee their homes after all."

She paused thoughtfully a moment. "Perhaps those that don't have an immediate place to go should be taken outside the gates and set free. It can seem harsh to those unused to the wilds, but the world can provide when men cannot. They would be a lot safer than if they had to flee with us to uncertain fate."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 pm 

"Perhaps, but in winter? I fear there will be nothing for them to find save starvation..."

She seemed troubled.

"For now, I can see that they are fed, but I do not know how long that will last."

Crouching down, hands on knees, she peered into the sparrow cage.

"Do you suppose these little birds like people, or care at all?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:55 pm 

"It is coming to spring soon, and this rain will help things sprout certainly. I understand your concern though Suzume-san."

Looking to the birds, Poemu looked thoughtful. "Ano... I have only dealt with horse care, but I would suppose that birds can grow to care about human's just the same. All animals seem to know when they are treated well and cared for. If you help them be comfortable, feed them, and look after their needs and wants, I believe they will come to care greatly."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 am 

A faint chuckle. "Though this fellow looks fit to fight it out with me, here and now."

The sparrow enunciated that by again attacking the bars, beating wings against the cage.

"I may have to get them a bigger cage if I am to care for them. He seems mighty restless."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:49 am 

"I fear their venturing out alone in the wild will only lead to a hastened return to Chikushudo for them. If they cannot stay here and be checked upon for now, I should be able to negotiate a temporary home with me at the inn for them should it come to it - the innkeeper already let me have a bird, after all. What are another few friends?" he said with a chuckle that quickly ended as he too looked over to the birdcage and listened to Poemu.

"One cannot say as much for all birds, Suzume-sama, but I would say they very much do. Where Man dwells - from the mightiest and busiest of cities to the farthest farmhouse out in the fields - so too does the sparrow. Where Man does not dwell - the thickest and darkest reaches of the Shinomen, the lands of grass left untilled, the emptiness at the edges of the Burning Sands and beyond - so too the sparrow does not." He nodded thoughtfully a couple times before he smiled.

"Take it into any home, and whether cared for at home or made free to fly on its own, and you will find a sparrow's children singing to Man's children for many seasons to come."

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:22 am 

"Hmm. I suppose so. If nothing else, I think we can keep them here."

With a sigh, she straightened.

"After all, this warehouse is now unclaimed - I doubt anyone else will be making use of it for the moment."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:18 am 

"That should be good for now, but what if we need to evacuate tomorrow, or even tonight?" She looked softly troubled. "I have a horse to look after, and little room to carry anything else on her that isn't already there. Perhaps a dog could keep up, but these have seen better days. And the goats, the birds... it would be a sacrifice to come here and be burdened with them while evacuating."

"I DO wish that it were easier, but I see few good options at the moment."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:39 am 

"The goats and the chickens can be put to market in short order. Out of these hands, if they are left behind, every farm animal will be left behind as well: the horses important, the lions important, some others as well, but not those of the farm. The dogs and sparrows... trouble in moving those onto others right now," he nodded in agreement with the Dragon's words.

"None will look to this warehouse now - yet, whom will look to it if the time should come?" he asked, glancing over to the cages where they were busily scarfing down the scraps of meat being fed to them. "Maybe one dog could be taken, maybe two.... but those four, add in the Mantis's two, and in haste... a half-dozen required to move as one?"

Profile!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:25 pm 

"I see..."

She frowned.

"Well, I'm not sure what else to do - I can take these sparrows, I suppose, but there is no room for dogs where I am staying, and I've no idea how to train them."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 am 

Poemu nodded. Thinking, she finally looked to Asakuro. "Kasuga-san... I know it is not ideal, but perhaps you could find someone to care for the dogs that is leaving with a merchant caravan? I am guessing there are more than a few of those leaving the city before it becomes a proper siege, and I can't imagine a better situation for having room and ability to care for them."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:07 am 

The Tortoise looked over to the warehouse door for a few moments, a hand absentmindedly scratching below his right shoulder as he considered the idea. "... it is indeed not ideal, Agasha-sama. If they do not depart quickly, they might not soon be able to depart at all - only the Fortunes can say on that. But... yes, I think it can be done. This one can certainly go through the markets, see whom is packing up shop, and see about getting some, if not all, of the dogs to follow. And if it cannot be so, then I will take them under my care."

He looked over the Mamoru. "And the bird will just have to be fine with that. You will be fine with that, won't you, little Mamoru?" And Mamoru let out a "bwok!" back in his direction but otherwise continued to sit somewhat content and safe on the top of a crate.

Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 pm 

Chihaya nodded, glad at least something good had come of the event.

"I'm very glad I encountered you two... I would have been at quite a loss."

She bowed deeply from the waist to both, and then added, "I didn't wish for Kanade-san's act of kindness to go to waste, in rescuing these poor creatures."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 am 

The Agasha nodded and smiled warmly in turn. "And I am glad I decided to stop and see what the matter was. I had not met Kanade-san, but if she was looking to the welfare of these animals, I can only feel good helping to figure out how to continue that goal. Thank you for looking into the matter we spoke of Kasuga-san, and I hope that there is at least one more caravan departing that will take them."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:51 am 

Hefting the cage of sparrows, which drew some indignation from the occupiensts, Chihaya inquired, "Do you know where one would get a larger cage? This one hardly lets them hop about, much less fly. It might suit one bird, but not eight, I would think."

With a the chirping package under one arm, she added, "I may need your advice on what to feed them... heavens, maybe it would be wiser if you took them..."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:40 am 

"It was this one's pleasure to assist in this matter," he said and offered the Sparrow a bow after he approached to take a closer look at the birds in the cage for himself. He returned to running a hand underneath his chin as he thought more about her questions.

"Hrnn... seed of wheat or oats, the same one might obtain to feed the horses, but in general any seedling. Like those found in some fruit, I think, but I do not know if such can be found in this season. Much greater opportunity in obtaining grain of rice as well as crumbs left behind, however - hard and stale or uncooked, I think they prefer. Some bugs when flying out and about naturally, of course, but seeds and leftovers from the food of Man will most certainly do, especially here in the city," he recalled off-hand.

"Perhaps the markets might have a larger one. Barring that, the metalworkers I feel unfortunately may be quite busy preparing for the battles to come, but inquiries could be made nonetheless if simple wire is readily on-hand to fashion one."

Profile!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:12 am 

Chihaya nodded.

"I may have to release the healthiest, if it comes to that. There should be enough scraps in the city for them to survive... but it would be riskier, yes."

Glancing between the two, she added, "If you'd like, either of you could take a dog, if you wanted. If not... well, I'm sure Kasuga-san can find them a home."