It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:08 pm

Post subject: (D9, EM, Dragon Embassy) Breaking Fast
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:24 pm 

Having had breakfast started, Poemu had decided that she would rather not eat alone that morning. She had sent out an invitation. Now to await and see if her Togashi guest would arrive.

Post subject: Re: (D9, EM, Dragon Embassy) Breaking Fast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:12 am 

A soft scratching on Poemu's door frame indicates a guest is, indeed, on the threshold. If permission is given to enter, Myo-en will slide the door open--smoothly, but not with courtly delicacy. Any grace her movements have is the grace of a martial artist.

"Good morning, Agasha-sama." She bows with hands cupped together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:23 am 

Poemu stood with a bright, soft smile. It kept the barest sense of On, while still being quite open in its happiness. She gave a bow before motioning for Myo-en to sit with her. "Ohaiyo gozaimasu, Myo-en-san. Please, have a seat. Thank you for accepting my invitation to breaking fast together."

The table held a very traditional and simple breakfast. Each had a bowl of rice, miso soup, grilled fish, natto, and pickles. Two steaming cups of green tea sat waiting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 am 

"Of course, Agasha-sama. I would be a poor scout if I did not forage on the land when I can." Myo-en's smile holds a touch of mischief. She slips into the room and flows down into a seat in the spot Poemu had indicated.

As the social inferior and the guest (even if, technically, they are both guests of the Clan embassy), Myo-en waits for Poemu to help herself first, hands resting lightly on her thighs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 am 

The comment as Myo-en sat seemed to pique the Ambassador's interest, and for a moment, she looked as if she would rather speak than eat. Realizing that she would be making the monk wait, she started softly before moving to grab a pickle with her chopsticks and pop it into her mouth.

As soon as that was done however, words came spilling out. "Please, Poemu while it is just us Dragon. Did you really mean that you've foraged for breakfast during our time moving away from the encroaching army?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:45 am 

"These few days ago? Not much." Myo-en picks up the bowl of soup, and her eyes slip half-closed for a moment as she inhales some of the fragrant steam.

Seeming to realize a bit more explanation is required, she explains--after a small sip--"It is early spring, the most difficult season for forage, and this is settled country. I ate what little I carried, mostly, like the rest of us. But at other times, in other seasons, yes." The corners of her lips quirk up behind the faint veil of steam. "And today I nourish myself from whatever fate provides me at your table. Well, fate and the cook."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:47 am 

"Ah, I understand better now, thank you Myo-en-san." Poemu smiled, then gave a playful grin. "While I most certainly didn't forage this meal together, could you believe my family did so for most of my childhood? That's is why your words interested me so."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 am 

"Oh. Hm." Myo-en's eyebrows arch upward for a moment, and her dark eyes glance over Poemu again--soft, clean hands, unweathered skin--but then she nods thoughtfully. "You're Agasha. I've seen your family's dedication to their herbal craft."

Including that one time when she'd had to help Brother Tetsuken fish an overly ambitious young shugenja out of a steep ravine... a wry inward smile dances at the corner of her mouth and eyes again at the memory. He never explained why those mushrooms were worth a broken wrist, either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:51 pm 

"Well, you are right, the Agasha are not unknown for their craft. I am of the Atsumaru vassal family in particular, and we serve the main family by tracking, picking, and gathering reagents for them. I'm hardly as skilled as my mother is, especially since I ended up training away from home, but I believe I can still fend for myself well enough." The Atsumaru were quite small, but there was a certain sense of pride in Poemu's voice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:22 am 

"I see." Myo-en nods. "I do not know much about shugenja alchemy or healers' herbalism, but I know what I need to live and how to find it, if it is there to find."

She considers the much more luxurious and civilized breakfast spread before her today. "It is an interesting riddle, living that way. A life close to the Tao should be effortless and without striving--without desire. Living on the gifts of the woods or mountains, one doesn't seek out things produced by others. There is no need to trade or buy, to sow or weed, or to gather more than one can use. But it's also hard. One can work all day at just surviving. Much harder than here in Nikesake, where the world weighs us down."

Myo-en contemplates this paradox as she nibbles a small bite of rice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:53 am 

"If we sought an easy life Myo-en-san, I don't believe that we'd love in the mountains." Poemu giggled softly and light heartedly into her sleeve, smiling as she lowered it down to resume eating.

"Though to your words, the Dragon certainly DO trade to live. I'm not certain how much of that rice and other food goes up to Togashi lands, but iimy family certainly had things from the greater Empire often enough. Do the Togashi try to keep trade away, for your self reliance I mean?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:22 am 

"The mountains don't produce enough to feed so many people as live in the High House of Light, especially in winter. Of course Kyuden Togashi must have some supplies from the lowlands." Myo-en shrugs her patterned shoulders lightly. "So we balance on a narrow path, exchanging for what we need to sustain life, without falling into the depths of desiring material things for their own sake."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:29 am 

"Ahh, so desu." Poemu nodded firm, smiling. "That is the best way to do it, of course. As much as I could see the Togashi subsisting on only what they can grow or gather, that is a bit much to ask for such a climate."

She put a finger to her chin and looked thoughtfully up. "Ano... I suppose I always had a view of the Togashi not even needing to eat. Like living off of meditation or something else mystical like that."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:58 am 

"Some can reach that way of living, after attaining a very high state of cultivation." Myo-en looks a bit sheepish from behind the rim of her soup bowl before setting it down. "Maybe I'll be so gifted one day. Most of us are like me, bodies living in the material world, with all its traps and illusions."

Poemu might notice, however, that in fact Myo-en eats rather sparingly for a woman of her physical activity level. She hasn't taken any of the fish at all, although she tastes all the vegetarian dishes appreciatively.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:28 am 

It was a point of etiquette not to point out such things. Besides, Poemu had already assumed ise zumi fasted and stuff.

"Oh, well, I just tried to make a very traditional breakfast, just in case. If you won't eat it all, I can find a servant who'd like some I imagine. "She looked down into her tea cup a bit sheepishly. "I had thought you would likely need more than normal. You are quite fit Myo-en-san."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:02 am 

"Hm?" Myo-en looks down at her chopsticks, then up again, her expression a little sheepish. "Before I entered the Order my physical self was out of balance. If I look strong to you now, it's because of many years of study--mine, my masters', my fellow monks. But it is too easy to fall out of balance again, so I don't often consume things that excite the senses and intoxicate the body. I'm sorry I can't enjoy the fish you ordered made... I am sure it's very good."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:35 pm 

Entered the order. Poemu had known that very few were born into the Ise Zumi, or the Togashi in general, but it was a puzzle piece put into place all the same. Even if propriety led her not to ask questions, her curiosity bubbled all the same.

"Please, do not feel the need to apologize. I would much rather prepare more and miss on some than prepare too little and not honor my role as hostess." Poemu reached over with her chopsticks and took Myo-en's fish and placed it beside her own. "I would not leave you without trade however. Would Myo-en-san like my natto? It is supposed to be quite good for your health indeed, and no one has accused natto of being intoxicating before."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:28 am 

"There is enough here for me." Myo-en shakes her head slightly, smiling. "But thank you, Poemu-sama. You have a generous spirit." She hesitates for a moment, brows drawing together oeer her dark eyes. "I am sorry we couldn't get you safely away from this war. Your family has lost too many kuge these few years past. But... the rest of us will do all we can to keep you safe if anything happens here in Nikesake."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:32 am 

Poemu shook her head. "As much as I realize that I would be a liability if the city became a battle ground, I could not just run away. There are still words that need to be spoken, minds that must be swayed."

She paused, smiling shyly as she looked down into her tea. "Besides... I know I will be safe as long as we are with the Lion... and while I am with the other Dragon... and you."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:16 am 

Myo-en sets her chopsticks aside and inclines her head. "We will do our best, of course."

She looks up again, a wry smile tweaking the corner of her lips. "The best advantage we Dragon have is that we are... pardon me, but... not very important. We are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but otherwise the spirit Emperor may not be very interested in us, i think."