It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Post subject: [Day Ten - Late Morning] Hello?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:30 pm 

After her morning stroll around the castle, Wasako descended down to the streets as she made her way to the temples for some meditation. She stopped by a shop to take a glance at their straw hats before the storekeeper hastily took all of her wares and brought them back inside. It was peculiar but she didn't know how businesses were managed here and went on her way down the street.

She didn't think much of it at first but slowly found something strange with her surroundings, especially the heimen who seemed to have been ushered back to inside after gossip among them had begun to travel quickly. Some of the heimen seemed to have taken this a step further and begun to board up their stores as if there was an incoming storm. The large amount of rain would indicate a storm, although she had a feeling that wasn't what they were fearful of.

(Expecting but open)

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

Post subject: Re: [Day Ten - Late Morning] Hello?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:20 pm 

Strolling the streets in her armour after a memorable breakfast, Maiya was noticing similar things to Wasako. The heimin being on edge, the boarded up shops, the change in atmosphere...

Glad I'm wearing this.

With a tap of her breastplate she turned onto the Street of Scrolls. Her helmet crest bobbed up and down above most of the crowd where she walked.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:01 am 

As things turned ominous, it was perhaps good to see a friendly face among the dissipating crowds, even if she was dressed in full armour. She wasn't too sure how much one could actually see while wearing armour and raise her hand to wave at Maiya to get her attention. "Kaiu-san!"

Once she did, she would greet her with a polite bow. "Ohayou gozaimasu, Kaiu-san! How are you?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:51 am 

Her vision and her hearing were both affected, but years of familiarity with the armour had gotten her used to looking and listening more carefully.

Hearing 'Kaiu-san' she stops and looks around. Catching the wave of green she begins to move toward the Mirumoto. It was a few moments more before she actually could see the other woman through the crowd.

Returning her bow she rises and removes her menpo. "Ohayo gozaimasu Mirumoto-sama. I'm good, thank you. How are you?" She asks with a bit of a smile. "Funny running into you here."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:01 am 

"I'm doing well, thank you," she nodded once, finding some good humour she managed to flag down the armoured Crab. "Probably not that funny, but it does make running into people you know nearly impossible with this manage streets. Perhaps it could be fate but you were easy to spot. I was just passing by and on my way to the temples. This street is usually packed with people shoulder to shoulder, even in the rain, at least during my stay here."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:26 am 

"It can get very busy, hai." She agrees, glancing briefly toward the street and all the people on it. They were quieter today than usual and there were less of them.

"People are nervous."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:01 am 

"I suppose people have been nervous for a while, perhaps ever since we've got here with the refugees but this seems like something else entirely..." she said with a glance at both sides of the street before she adjusted her straw hat for further coverage from the rain.

"So! Where is Kaiu-san heading today?" she asked as she looked at her up and down in full armour. It looked impressive, she had to admit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:22 am 

"It does."

At the question Maiya tucks her menpo into a slot on the side of her armour. "Just a walk to make me less sluggish after breakfast. I actually encountered that Seppun again. She picked the inn I'm staying at to have breakfast. How about you Mirumoto-sama?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:33 am 

"Oh, that's pretty fortuitous that she found you again outside the dojo. I hope she was more receptive at that time?" She asked curiously, knowing her opinions of the Seppun previously.

"I was just thinking of going to the shrine but I can walk with you for a bit if you'll have me. I'm not too much in a hurry."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:37 am 

(I don't know! Waiting for her to join the scene :lol: )

Maiya answered honestly, but the topic soon shifted to talk of a shrine visit.

"Sure, I'd like that. It'd be nice. My sensei said to try getting to know other Clan samurai when outside Crab lands. You're helping a lot in that regard Mirumoto-sama. Ano, I met a Togashi on the Walls here yesterday. They were harder to speak to than yourself."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 am 

Wasako gave a small gesture for Maiya to take the lead as she seemed to have a destination in mind.

"Thank you?" she said with a bit of uncertainty. "I didn't know I was of help but I'm glad that I did? Did you speak to Togashi Myo-en-san by chance? Funny enough, my sensei did encourage the same from me. I should be using my time wisely here, of course. My sensei would hate it if I spent my time just meandering the streets and browsing bakeries...or something."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:01 pm 

Her helmet bobbed slightly as she nodded. It forced her to reach up and adjust it.

"Hai, Togashi Myo-en. She was looking out over the City to get a feel for how alive it was. Something like that." She nodded again and this time her helmet stayed on tight. "It's important to listen to our sensei. Browsing bakeries would be nice, but a waste of time, hai." Both because it wouldn't help the City and because Maiya was too poor to do anything but eye up the bakeries from a distance.

She led the way down the street, sometimes slowing to observe a closing shop or peasant scurrying.

"It's like the Wall when a scout comes back with reports of an impending attack."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:51 pm 

"Togashi Myo-en-san was hard to speak to?" she said curiously at first. "I suppose, I might see it. Perhaps we find something in common with being students of the Tao? Still, she is a woman who has experienced a lot and I could only imagine that she would have much to share with anyone from any walk of life."

"Hai, a waste of time..." she chuckled with a shrug of her shoulder to dismiss the possibility of entertaining that thought.

She frowned at that and snapped a glance around the street. "...It's happening soon again, isn't it?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:34 pm 

Regarding the Togashi she shrugs a little. "She wasn't rude or anything. I'm just stupid."

As they walked on her attention drifted back to the Dragon. "The locals would know the Lion garrison here best. Someone has spotted or heard something of concern and the reaction has spread like a ripple across a bond." Maiya comments with unusual eloquence. This was likely something she'd seen before and thought about a number of times.

"I'd wager scouts have reported the enemy force moving directly toward the City. We can expect a siege in the afternoon or early evening."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 pm 

Wasako gave Maiya a long blink at the 's' word like something offensive had been said before looking a bit more serious at Maiya. She said sternly to her, "You're not stupid, Kaiu-san."

She nodded slowly as the scanned the surroundings, perhaps glad that the heimen here had some sort of plan than run around town in panic. "...Anyway, at least they've gotten out of the way so that we could do our job. Most of us have already faced them before so I imagine we'll be doubly prepared here. They shouldn't move past Nikesake."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:58 pm 

The Kaiu snorts and her armoured shoulders lifted in a shrug once again. She'd heard that one before. "I'm not smart either. My sensei often told me that. It is what it is, ne?"

Concurring with a few nods she regarded the Mirumoto as they walked. "Do you have a lot of experience fighting other samurai Mirumoto-sama? Most of my own is from other foes."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:30 am 

Wasako merely nodded at the Kaiu's words. It was likely not her place to overrule her sensei's words and likely her kneejerk reaction as a sensei's aide when someone underestimated themselves. No student should underestimate themselves but Maiya was not her student.

"...No," she admitted begrudgingly. "We did have a few bandits on horses who attempted to harass the small village by the dojo but I don't know if I would qualify those bandits as actual samurai, even if they did have a katana on them. Sometimes exiles attempt to cross the mountains to make it back to Rokugan but those are easily chased off. They aren't usually looking to die in the mountains."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:07 am 

"Naruhodo. So, neither of us have fought the likes of the Matsu then, ne?" They were a unique opponent.

"Ano, Mirumoto-sama, can I ask why you left the mountains and your dojo?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:29 am 

She gave a shake of her head regarding the Matsu. While she didn't think about fighting a Lion when she came here, this was a real possibility now.

"Of course," she said before standing more rigid. "My sensei, in his great wisdom, had thought that I needed to see more of the world if I am to continue helping him teach. There are some lessons that he, nor my sensei's sensei, could impart to me when it comes to the world abroad. I could learn all of the techniques but it would be meaningless if I could never use them. The Lion are also well-known for their martial prowess and I've been in my homeland so long with no other forms to compare myself to. It is his hope that I take the uncertainty of the world abroad, distil them into personal lessons and enrich myself before I could hope to further enrich others."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:15 am 

The Crab paused to stand with the Dragon and listen to her story. It matched what she knew of Wasako. It also matched what she had heard of Dragons that left Dragon land.

As the Mirumoto finished she let out a low whistle. "That's some serious dedication to your martial learning Mirumoto-sama. So, a journey of self-improvement, ne?" It sounded like a corny pillow book story, but she didn't dare say that. Besides, it was actually quite impressive. Better than boringly being in the right place at the wrong time because of a wedding.